How to tune a FM radio station

Guest moneytoo

The RDS isn't functional as far as I can tell, there's a lot of functionality that doesn't work .. like setting the output to the speaker etc...

now that we have a working radio and that we know it supports RDS, would it be possible to add RDS feature to the app ?

thanks.

Guest mrmrmrmr
The RDS isn't functional as far as I can tell, there's a lot of functionality that doesn't work .. like setting the output to the speaker etc...

really ?

if that's correct, it is too bad.

how did you try RDS ?

maybe it's just a matter of parsing ...

You don't understand what I'm doing to get the radio to work, I'm just using the fm_hcitool to do basic operations. When I use the parse option it doesn't do anything... unless anyone can show me differently? then I'll implement it.

Guest mrmrmrmr
You don't understand what I'm doing to get the radio to work, I'm just using the fm_hcitool to do basic operations. When I use the parse option it doesn't do anything... unless anyone can show me differently? then I'll implement it.

I don't know ; I am just trying to throw an idea.

maybe we should first use the parse command and then turn RDS power on , or off-on ?

Guest moneytoo

I haven't tried RDS but the speaker can be enabled with simple patch. It worked for me. I can post it if you want to...

Guest mrmrmrmr
I haven't tried RDS but the speaker can be enabled with simple patch. It worked for me. I can post it if you want to...

please post. also could you check RDS please ?

Guest moneytoo

Ok. fm_hcitool_speaker has speaker enabled by default and works fine. However I have just found there's major drawback - once you use this (_speaker) version, you can't switch back to the headphones, you have to restart your Streak. Maybe I will play with it more later.

fm_hcitool_speaker.rar

Guest popetodd
Is it possible to lower the frequency range starting from 76MHz? The FM broadcast range is different in Japan. Thanks!

Try running 'fm_hcitool 3 750' (or whatever frequency you know a station to be on) and see if you recieve it, it is a SDR receiver so it is quite possible that it will tune that low.

[EDIT] just tried it and it didn't change the frequency from the station it was set to. Perhaps there is a config file with limits, I'd have to look around a bit later to see if I can find it.

Edited by popetodd

Guest XsCode

don't suppose anyone has found the source for the bcomfm driver or fm_hcitool? I noticed the device is in /dev but can't find any info on how to control the device.

Guest puchg350

popetood, thanks. The frequency range originally set is for TV audio here. I will be wiaiting for a good news.

Try running 'fm_hcitool 3 750' (or whatever frequency you know a station to be on) and see if you recieve it, it is a SDR receiver so it is quite possible that it will tune that low.

[EDIT] just tried it and it didn't change the frequency from the station it was set to. Perhaps there is a config file with limits, I'd have to look around a bit later to see if I can find it.

Guest popetodd

Yes, only 2.1 so far (we don't have a working Froyo build so don't know if the drivers are there as well).

Edited by popetodd

Guest homeiss

Thanks Moneytoo for sharing this. Also, thanks to XsCode for the gui. I don't want to sound picky but can we get an icon for the app though? A quick google search turns up plenty of radio icons that could be dropped in there. :)

Guest rahulkadukar

I am not sure about this but I read somewhere that the Streak also has a FM transmitter, if true can it be implemented through this app. :)

Guest bhull521

Am I the only one that can't get this to work?

I get nothing when turning "Radio On"

and it freezes up and reboots when i press the volume buttons.

Running O2 2.1 6941

Guest Niner86

Works fine for me! No problems at all.

mrmrmr, asking every post about RDS isn't going to hurry anyone up, just chill out mate! Bit of patience

Guest maskaler

Have you put the source code up anywhere? I'd love to take a look. I know it's simple, but that's probably my current Android app level anyway so it'd be great to get the ball running.

Cheers in advance

Ant

Guest XsCode

You're welcome... that version is up to date and not packaged... just cleaned the subs up a bit to make it work faster...

Thanks for that dude, much appreciated!

Accidental infinite loop o'clock beckons me... :)