Orange San Francisco review

Guest PaulOBrien

Never had "proper" email set up. Have got gmail set up. I had no email/gmail at the time. Just received something to gmail - no flash.

I had no signal. Every time I have no signal (e.g. Orange SIM at home) that button flashes.

In an Orange signal area - or with an O2 SIM at home - signal = no flashes.

"No signal" is - at least - one cause of that button flashing.

No biggie - just clarifying my experience.

You got WiFi On...

I use Watchdog Lite and it seems to work perfectly. I don't have any Facebook apps installed. The only apps picked up as 99.9% tasks are Weatherbug and Gallery, but both those are temporary peaks, following a boot, that settle back down soon enough.

You should add the App...Task Manager,it switches or kills all the apps ure not using,that way you save more battery life,also you can switch off Wifi,Gps and maybe swap from 3g to 2g,all can be done in settings...Theres loads of different ways to save on ure apps draing ure battery life...

Guest Carbonize

Android is very good at managing apps on it's own so you don't need a task killer except for the odd occasion you install a badly coded app. The purpose of Watchdog Lite is to inform you of misbehaving apps but on the SF apps seem to use a lot more CPU than on my GT540.

Since there's a thread about this I will continue in there.

Edited by Carbonize

Guest kissofjudas

just bought a San Francisco - first smartphone - so real n00b - unlock code from ebay - Trader Name

snyper747

£0.99p - reply instantly unlock confirmed - now have to find how to change the settings for my T-mobile sim

Guest Baggy Pipes
just bought a San Francisco - first smartphone - so real n00b - unlock code from ebay - Trader Name

snyper747

£0.99p - reply instantly unlock confirmed - now have to find how to change the settings for my T-mobile sim

Bargain. I paid £1.40 from him last week!

Guest -=GriM=-

Anybody please reply me! Zte Blade has any graphic accelerator? Or only built-in msm7227?

I hear that Blade show results in Neocore like HTC Legend (it has ATI Imageon Z430). May be Zte has GPU like that?

Guest StickyGeko
Anybody please reply me! Zte Blade has any graphic accelerator? Or only built-in msm7227?

I hear that Blade show results in Neocore like HTC Legend (it has ATI Imageon Z430). May be Zte has GPU like that?

Games play well, my neocore is 40fps and quadrant is 408

Guest -=GriM=-
Games play well, my neocore is 40fps and quadrant is 408

I know that it show really good results in benchmarks for "low-end" class. But I really interesting what type of GPU it has.

Guest prickly-pear

Hi everyone im new to this forum and just wanted to say this this is an awesome review!! iv never had an android phone before so im an newbie and have a few questions for anyone who has the SF and would be kind enough to answer me before i decide to buy!

- 1, Are the ringtones on the SF quite loud?? 2, Can you set you own custom tones for sms messages and email messages? ( i currently have an iphone 3gs and you cant sent your own msg tones unless you jailbreak) Thanks :)

Guest sionyboy

Girlfriend bought the San Fran today, she has been getting a bit fed up of her Hero as of late, so told her about the San Fran and she seemed willing to try it out.

So far I'm impressed, for £90 (council employee discount) its a steal. Phone was pretty laggy and slow out the box but once I got Launcher Pro on there it was absolutely flying. Had to set wifi to 'never sleep' in the advanced options as after lock it disappeared but that seems to have solved it.

At the moment I'm thinking of selling my Galaxy S and grabbing one of these to use for a few months until the Desire HD is released over here (o another 4.3" android)

Guest jamesfoster87

Hi All, hope you can help. Got my San Francisco this weekend, all unlocked and working ok. Just having problems using the wifi.

When I connect to a network using wifi for the first time, it works fine and connects. I then switch wifi off to save battery, and when I go to use it again, it finds the network but instantly disconnects itself. Not sure what the problem is and dont want to leave the wifi permanently on.

Any help would be appreciated!

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi All, hope you can help. Got my San Francisco this weekend, all unlocked and working ok. Just having problems using the wifi.

When I connect to a network using wifi for the first time, it works fine and connects. I then switch wifi off to save battery, and when I go to use it again, it finds the network but instantly disconnects itself. Not sure what the problem is and dont want to leave the wifi permanently on.

Any help would be appreciated!

The Search Button is your friend.

However basically its a known problem - wifi re-enable helps (its posted on other threads)

Guest Partridge A

Hi all,

Looking forward to receiving my San Fran tomorrow, been reading about it here for a couple of weeks.

Are there any forum members who would root and flash my phone in the Tonbridge area of Kent for a small fee? Or if anyone knows a reputable shop that could do the honours?

Thanks,

Trevor

Edited by Partridge A

Guest ritchieicu
Enjoy! :)

P

Hi Paul

Thanks for an excellent review, I bought one of these phones recently after my HTC hero touch screen started playing up, I sent it to HTC for repair and they say it has been damaged through moisture and it has not been near water ! they wanted £340 to repair it of which I said no and now they want £37 to return it to cover their costs or they say they will destroy it, what a con !

Luckily I came across this phone as a good tide over until my upgrade is due.

A friend of mine has done the same and unlocked it following a link I found on here for the 3 UK network, although it unlocked fine it don't seem to work on the internet, send and receives calls and texts but no mobile net, any idea please ?

Regards

Ritchie

Guest madmans

Paul,

I'd like to add my thanks for the excellent review ! Had seen the odd rference to this phone but your article was the clincher so I ordered one right away.

Initial impressions a very good most things work as expected right out of the box. Good screen, very sensitive GPS receiver, good quality audio from the "external" speaker. A major weird thing though is that the red "charge" indicator never seems to change to green even after 20 hours or more, though when

the phone is turned on it does appear to be fully charged. The "weather" app. never gets beyond "searching" (using wi-fi).

The nck unlock people are very efficient, and at $3 are good value!

It is a great pity that I cannot say anything much positive about Orange except that ordering and delivery were very fast .

Beyond that very poor - the obligatory credit has not been added to my account, cannot call customer service to help them solve this problem as I get the

message "you do not have sufficient credit to make this call"! Why would I need credit to call customer service to advise them of a problem? - well it seems

they charge 25p for calling them! This is so utterly ridiculous, it is hard to believe they could be so stupid, or arrogant, or both!

If you have the time to offer any comments about batteries, charging time etc.etc that would be most useful !

Thanks again Paul,

Regards,

Mike.

I just realised my post was badly flawed, being based on inaccurate data, so I've withdrawn it. I can't find a "Delete" option for the duff post.

Edited by tdodd

Guest klimani

Hi,

Great Review Paul. I have gona and bought one.

Easy to unlock and using T-mobile on it now.

Does anyone know if there is a way to access/edit your contacts on your sim without importing them to the phone.

many thanks

Ok I'm new to this forum and looking for a replacement for my ancient HTC Tytn. Android appeals and this San Francisco from Orange seems to be close to meeting my needs.

Just one small query which will probably be easy for you to answer but in your review you say the SF has 512Mb Ram yet when I look at the spec on the Orange site it says there is 150MB of internal memory. http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/San...-Orange-in-grey.

I'm pleased to see that PDAdb.net agrees with the 512Mb ram so is the Orange spec wrong.

Maybe there is something I don't know about but any guidance would be welcome.