[AlphaRev] Public release S-OFF HTC Desire GSM

Guest IEFtm

Guest woti17
It is not neccesary to set system to r/w, thats the whole idea of S-off isnt it?

/system is mounted ro after boot. even with s-off

seems that rootmanager automatically mounts as rw when started

Edited by woti17

Guest woti17
Neither Astro or Estrongs can delete this file.

Followed instructions in #64 and still no luck.

I thought s-off would allow me to delete/create files in /system? Anyway I can test s-off?

in terminal

su

mount /system -o remount,rw

cd /system/app

rm application.apk

ls application.apk (should give "file not found")

only root can delete root-owned files, therefore su

Guest Kasonne
Hi everyone.

Here is finally is, the public release for HBOOT reflash for HTC Desire.

Read more on the following page:

alpharev-logo.png !

Enjoy!

What a great and simple procedure, and works like a charm too. Thanks for that final chink in the desire's armour.

Guest Jagdish
Neither Astro or Estrongs can delete this file.

Followed instructions in #64 and still no luck.

I thought s-off would allow me to delete/create files in /system? Anyway I can test s-off?

you have to enable system or root access on estrongs, might i recommand using Root explorer, i think its the best of its kind, i manage to delete, move, replace files in system\app with S-off, and even before that with the r\w system overlay...

Guest psych0t1c
in terminal

su

mount /system -o remount,rw

cd /system/app

rm application.apk

ls application.apk (should give "file not found")

only root can delete root-owned files, therefore su

If you are unsure about using the shell, you can Enable "Chuck Norris" Mode in Titanium Backup and remove the app that way if it is listed with the installed apps. Worked like a charm for me with S-OFF, cause Titanium runs with su priviliges.

Guest Mushhushshu

Worked fine for me first time, coming from 0.80 hboot, using bootable cd in my lappy. Took about 4 minutes all in all, no issues with getting into recovery, or anything else as far as I can see. Awesomeness.

Guest hazi1964
Burn it, boot up your computer with it, but make sure it boots the cd first, and follow the instructions.

Help, desperate here. I am running windows vista on my computer (laptop). I can't even burn a cd on it. The only blank cd I have is now unreadable it seems. I have plenty of blank dvd's, would that be ok to use one of them?

I've fired up my pc to burn the disc as I can't work it out in vista at all.

Also, I entered bios on the laptop to change the boot sequence but don't think it's going to work.

Maybe it's cos I just ended up copying the iso file to the dvd as opposed to actually burning it and that it needs to be cd not dvd?

Please can somebody just let me know if dvd is ok to use? If not, will go buy some blank cd's. I can burn the disc fine on my pc, just not using vista. Worst operating system ever in my opinion.

If somebody CAN tell me how to burn a cd using vista, it would be very much appreciated not just for now but for future referrence too.

Thanks in advance.

Guest hazi1964
Help, desperate here. I am running windows vista on my computer (laptop). I can't even burn a cd on it. The only blank cd I have is now unreadable it seems. I have plenty of blank dvd's, would that be ok to use one of them?

I've fired up my pc to burn the disc as I can't work it out in vista at all.

Also, I entered bios on the laptop to change the boot sequence but don't think it's going to work.

Maybe it's cos I just ended up copying the iso file to the dvd as opposed to actually burning it and that it needs to be cd not dvd?

Please can somebody just let me know if dvd is ok to use? If not, will go buy some blank cd's. I can burn the disc fine on my pc, just not using vista. Worst operating system ever in my opinion.

If somebody CAN tell me how to burn a cd using vista, it would be very much appreciated not just for now but for future referrence too.

Thanks in advance.

Guest hazi1964

No good, can't burn the disc full stop, my pc software won't do it. I only have cd drive on the pc so couldn't even try with a dvd. If I try on the laptop the only file choices I have are music or videos, can't get to the iso file on there. Can't burn a cd on vista because it just doesn't work.

Am I right in thinking I need to put more files on to a disc anyway to make it bootable? If so, would somebody please be kind enough to explain the process from start to finish, step by step including what discs and files are needed on the disc etc etc. Because none of this is working for me.

Thanks (tearing my hair out here)

Guest StuMcBill
No good, can't burn the disc full stop, my pc software won't do it. I only have cd drive on the pc so couldn't even try with a dvd. If I try on the laptop the only file choices I have are music or videos, can't get to the iso file on there. Can't burn a cd on vista because it just doesn't work.

Am I right in thinking I need to put more files on to a disc anyway to make it bootable? If so, would somebody please be kind enough to explain the process from start to finish, step by step including what discs and files are needed on the disc etc etc. Because none of this is working for me.

Thanks (tearing my hair out here)

Use ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn the iso onto a disc, it should then be able to boot your computer if you reboot with the disc in the drive, and you have changed the boot order accordingly.

Or use UNetBootIn (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to make a bootable USB stick and boot from that (This is what I did!)

Also, I don't know if you could use a DVD, but I don't see how it wouldn't work.

Edited by StuMcBill

Guest hazi1964
Use ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn the iso onto a disc, it should then be able to boot your computer if you reboot with the disc in the drive, and you have changed the boot order accordingly.

Or use UNetBootIn (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to make a bootable USB stick and boot from that (This is what I did!)

Also, I don't know if you could use a DVD, but I don't see how it wouldn't work.

Thank you for the information, I think I have a usb stick somewhere, I certainly hope so as my laptop is useless.

Would you be kind enough to clarify, Do I choose to burn an image file?

Alison

Guest Elbereth

Just installed on my phone using v1.31 through VirtualBox (it wouldn't work directly on my computer via EasyBCD, USB was not working at all [many errors], too new I guess).

Thanks for this. :lol:

Guest StuMcBill
Thank you for the information, I think I have a usb stick somewhere, I certainly hope so as my laptop is useless.

Would you be kind enough to clarify, Do I choose to burn an image file?

Alison

//I take no responsibility if this goes wrong, but this is what I did, running CyanogenMod Nightly.

First off, format a USB Stick.

You just download UNetBootIn, run it, Select "Disk Image", ISO, and press the ... button and select the alpharev .iso.

Select which drive you wish to install in (check My Computer to confirm which is the USB stick). Press OK.

Let it finish, reboot your computer, go into BIOS and change the boot order so it boots from USB, and it should load up.

Follow the instructions on the screen and all should be well.

Let us know how it goes.

Guest hazi1964
//I take no responsibility if this goes wrong, but this is what I did, running CyanogenMod Nightly.

First off, format a USB Stick.

You just download UNetBootIn, run it, Select "Disk Image", ISO, and press the ... button and select the alpharev .iso.

Select which drive you wish to install in (check My Computer to confirm which is the USB stick). Press OK.

Let it finish, reboot your computer, go into BIOS and change the boot order so it boots from USB, and it should load up.

Follow the instructions on the screen and all should be well.

Let us know how it goes.

ROFL, I wouldn't hold anybody responsible if it went wrong.

Thanks to you, I was able to do it via the usb stick method. Didn't need to use a different rom. It worked straight away. I cannot thank you enough for your help. You stopped me throwing my toys out of the pram and I am sat here with a big grin on my face now instead of a big frown. lol.

Again, I can't thank you enough, I so appreciate your help.

Alison

Guest StuMcBill
ROFL, I wouldn't hold anybody responsible if it went wrong.

Thanks to you, I was able to do it via the usb stick method. Didn't need to use a different rom. It worked straight away. I cannot thank you enough for your help. You stopped me throwing my toys out of the pram and I am sat here with a big grin on my face now instead of a big frown. lol.

Again, I can't thank you enough, I so appreciate your help.

Alison

Not a problem, glad it all went well!

Now go off with a big grin and enjoy your S-Off Desire!! :lol:

Guest hazi1964
Not a problem, glad it all went well!

Now go off with a big grin and enjoy your S-Off Desire!! :lol:

Still not stopped grinning. Lol. Must change splash screen. Lol.

Guest spammyspam
If you are unsure about using the shell, you can Enable "Chuck Norris" Mode in Titanium Backup and remove the app that way if it is listed with the installed apps. Worked like a charm for me with S-OFF, cause Titanium runs with su priviliges.

Managed to delete the file okay, but the reinstall from market is still unsuccessful. I'm guessing it's trying to whack it in /system/app still. No worries though, I managed to restore the old one and will leave this thread alone now.

Guest sucramco
Had the same problem, I used android sdk tools to flash recovery image

I did like this:

1. downloded amon_ra 1.7.0.1 R5 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=721792

2. put it in android sdk tools, tools folder, rename it to amon

3. Open up a command prompt in tools folder

4. get phone in fastboot mode, plug it in

5. type: fastboot flash recovery amon.img

6. flash

7. after done type: fastboot reboot

You are done..

Thank you, just didn't think it would happen to me.

Used your guide now have recovery back. Just need to change the splash image now.

Guest aslsthlm
Thank you, just didn't think it would happen to me.

Used your guide now have recovery back. Just need to change the splash image now.

It´s the same procedure as recovery

Here is a link to the original slash1 screen, it´s on AlphaRev site: http://alpharev.shadowchild.nl/

rename´t to splash1

Instead of typing: fastboot flash recovery amon.img

You type: fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img

when it´s done: fastboot reboot

Guest sucramco
It´s the same procedure as recovery

Here is a link to the original slash1 screen, it´s on AlphaRev site: http://alpharev.shadowchild.nl/

rename´t to splash1

Instead of typing: fastboot flash recovery amon.img

You type: fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img

when it´s done: fastboot reboot

That part is great but the shadowchild link doesn't work, it shuts down internet explorer or just keeps trying to load the page for 20 minutes. If there was another link someone might have that would be awesome.

Thanks

Marcus

Guest aslsthlm
That part is great but the shadowchild link doesn't work, it shuts down internet explorer or just keeps trying to load the page for 20 minutes. If there was another link someone might have that would be awesome.

Thanks

Marcus

Try again, works for me..

Guest aslsthlm
phew after too many attempt in IE9, I used google chrome. Finally got the image.

Thanks again

Marcus

IE9 sucks, went back to IE8

Edited by aslsthlm

Guest manisa236

Hello All,

I am using prebaked R8 with A2SD+ and I am a little confused.

Does S-OFF mean we can update preinstalled apps like GMail and GoogleMaps from the market since the /system partition is writable now?

Many thanks.

Guest spammyspam

Are there any problems booting into recovery with AlphaRev? Particularly Fake-Flash? Selecting "recovery" from HBOOT now sends me to Joker (instead of the red triangle). As such I now up and power doesn't do anything, and I need to pull the battery in order to boot normally.

Am I missing something? Do we have to flash a proper recoveries now?

Edited by spammyspam