WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

Guest robot1000

My wifi won't stay connect automatically to my router. It says under WiFi seetings 'connection unsuccessful'. I keep having to turn off WiFi and reconnect that way.

I already have the connection to be 'always on' so I don't see why the disconnections happen

Anyone else experiencing this issue and if so, can it be fixed?

I've created a petition (1st ever one), I would appreciate it, if people would sign it

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/orangesf

EDIT

It's been mentioned in this thread and verified by myself as well that using the following software fixes the WiFi sleep issue

http://code.google.com/p/mylockforandroid/...mp;can=2&q=

Edited by robot1000

Guest fluxcapacitor

I don't think It's the hardware, it's the software at fault not auto reconnecting when a known wifi is available.

Turning wifi off/on via the widget makes it connect straight away again

Guest mannybianco

There are apps that will keep the wifi alive. I'm not sure they will help you in your particular case, probably not, but it's worth a try I guess. I used to use an app called Reconnect Wifi when I had issues with disconnecting wifi that would not reconnect.

Edited by mannybianco

Guest n00kie bear
I also get similar with WPA2 protection on my WiFi network.

I'm also having the same wifi issues with WPA2. I read on another forum earlier that giving the phone a static ip address resolves the issue. Not 100% convinced but will give it a try later.

I'm also having the same wifi issues with WPA2. I read on another forum earlier that giving the phone a static ip address resolves the issue. Not 100% convinced but will give it a try later.

I have the same issue with wifi but on an open network with MAC filtering. Using MCR r2.

It is annoying more than anything.

Guest n00kie bear

Tried making the ip address static on the phone and the router but that didn't improve things. Still dropping connection and not auto reconnecting. Toggle the wifi off/on and its reconnects straight away.

Anyone had any joy either after getting the handset replaced or tweaking something?

Guest ancientyne
My wifi won't stay connect automatically to my router. It says under WiFi seetings 'connection unsuccessful'. I keep having to turn off WiFi and reconnect that way.

I already have the connection to be 'always on' so I don't see why the disconnections happen

Anyone else experiencing this issue and if so, can it be fixed?

SOLUTION TO WIFI PROBLEMS :

ive seen this many times with iphones and many other devices, mild incompatiblitys in wifi protocol cause these issues, what worked for me was setting the security to WEP for WIFI routers you have control over, and i seem to get no disconnects with this either, I doubt taking it back to orange will change it being comfortable on certain WPA connection, obviously when you out and about and the trying to hotspot WPA wifi this may prove troublesome, but from my experience it wont be all WPA just some of them depending on the version and negotiation protocal involved. But WEP on home WIFI should solve your problem.

Edited by ancientyne

I have this problem too. It worked in MCR3 but since the new ones it loses connection until found manually or until turned on and off. Strangely it's only at home on my DD-WRT router, not at work on the Cisco stuff or my girlfriends Netgear.

WEP isn't just a bad idea, if you want fast 802.11n speeds a requirement is WPA2/AES. Funnily I think my home router is the only 802.11n device my phone connects to. What routers and wireless network setups are the other people having problems on?

Guest southpaw1

newbie here , thanks for the heads up on the blade , my 1st droid device , and great site here too ,

i am struggling with this wifi

"wi-fi" tab status switches between scanning connecting and disconnected , still cant get it to connect to home network , tried various methods of encryption and still same

Guest ancientyne
newbie here , thanks for the heads up on the blade , my 1st droid device , and great site here too ,

i am struggling with this wifi

"wi-fi" tab status switches between scanning connecting and disconnected , still cant get it to connect to home network , tried various methods of encryption and still same

Agreed WEP is not my favourite security to use either ……… encryption slows things down and thats compounded over range, but what im saying is …… my san fran refused to connect on WPA, and connected and stayed connected with WEP perfectly, and my suggestion should help those who quickly want to get wifi access stable, if theyre then worried about wep security then it can be determined which part of WPA the sanfran is having trouble with , possibly a default hex password issue ? it might be worth setting the WPA password manually on your router. ( I could experiment and see what kind of WPA issue it is, its probably a variation in WPA protocol. WIFI is not as solid a standard as people perceive, I do Tech supp for a living and often see WIFI devices that refuse to connect with each other on certain security protocols.

To be honest you can avoid the whole wifi security profile issue, by setting your router, to use MAC address control and putting in the mac address of the devices that use the router and using no wifi password at all, obviously its a pain for guests ? where a password scenario is more convenient, rather than entering guests MAC addresses into the router.

And yes I understand that MAC address's can be spoofed, but nearly all WIFI security protocols can be hacked if someone is determined, and WPA2 is more secure than most, but even this could be hacked, as such security is more about making it secure enough, that a hacker will pick an easier target.

802.11n will benefit those who are serving files back and forth between their device and wifi router connected NAS storage or computers and such, but unless your 54g ie 54Mbps wifi performance is horrible reception wise (ie 20Mbps and lower performance) it is unlikely to be outstripped by the average 8-20mbps broadband speeds most people get. as such 802.11n mainly benefits people doing HD streaming and very large file transfers and such OR people who have many/multiple WIFI devices hooked to their router concurrently, is this device capable of 720p playback.

Edited by ancientyne

Guest ancientyne

OK SECOND ATTEMPT TO HELP THOSE HAVING DIFFICULTY AND WHO WANT WPA2

I found i could connect with WPA when I changed the password away from the short default hex one my router was using to a 13 digit alphnumeric WPA2 password.

Also im pretty confident that unlike when wep is used for me, the WPA2 has a little lag in reconnecting to wifi when coming out of sleep and sometimes brings up a message saying

"Attention"

a network error has occured

Retry or cancel and return to the prevous screen"

this definitely also seemed to dissapear to negligible when connected via the charger, so i guess this something related to energy saving, which can proabably be tweaked in energy saving preferences though I havent found them yet.

but it soon reconnects with WPA without having to go to wifi settings etc if you just tap "retry" (for me anyway)

UPDATE : 18:53 : this doesnt always occur I think it depends on how deep it has powered down and turned off the wifi ? because actually it seems to have speeded up reconnecting and i can see the wifi symbol flash back and its connected almost instantly, but I cant seem to determine what the difference is in causing dialog or dialog ? certainly it seemed to occur on an android marketplace page, which i hadnt previously looked at if i clicked on the fresh uncached link almost immediately after waking the device with the power button ?

this does not happen when using wep for me ?

when I at first couldn't connect at all with WPA before an I decided to set the router to wep, it was set to "WPA+WPA2" but wierdly I just successfuly reconnected using WPA+WPA2 the only thing ive change since earlier in the day when it refused to connect is my password length, choosing my own 13 digit alphanumeric password ?!? previously it was either a 7-8 char default hex password ?

there is also a "WPA" option by itself , these are the variations in the WPA protocols WPA2 being the newer type which you should set it too if you can. though now WPA+WPA2 has started working ?

currently running with a 13 digit alphnumeric password and WPA set as "WPA+WPA2" security.

NB none of these issues to me, appear to be anything to do with the Modaco rom, as I only just got my blade today and haven't yet rooted or flashed it, and im still runnign with the orange default rubbish.

testing a bit more WPA etc and see whether any setting dont have reconnect issues ? will report back asap.

Edited by ancientyne

Guest ancientyne

TIP : remember to "forget network" in the network list after you change security method on your router, by holding down on the network in the network list until the forget option appears and selecting it, as you dont want the device confused as to which of two networks named the same one, with the old security and one with the new to connect to, obviously the one without signal it cant etc, but still its not healthy to have the ghost one with the same name lying around in the list.

Guest southpaw1
TIP : remember to "forget network" in the network list after you change security method on your router, by holding down on the network in the network list until the forget option appears and selecting it, as you dont want the device confused as to which of two networks named the same one, with the old security and one with the new to connect to, obviously the one without signal it cant etc, but still its not healthy to have the ghost one with the same name lying around in the list.

thanks for all your efforts ancientyne , unfortunately still not connecting on my home network , i can scan for devices and get list of mine and neighbouring networks , but just cant connect , the wifi signal always seems to have the x thru it ,

i havent installed any WAPI Certs , is that likely to be an issue ?

your assistance is much appreciated mate

Guest southpaw1

also , when i select which network to connect too , the Wifi tab status goes thru , connecting ( 10 seconds), disconnected (20 secs) , scanning 10 secs , and just cycles thru these 3 status`

Guest ancientyne

UPDATE UPDATE : this wifi issue is officially wierd, changing my wifi password length to 13 digit alphanumeric seemed to help allot ?

here is what i have found in resume :

when if first tried to connect the blade to my wifi which had a default 7/8 digit hex password and a "WPA+WPA2" earlier in the day it could not connect at all so in irritation I switched the router to WEP and it worked first time but at that point instead of just changing to WEP I also changed to a 13 digit alphanumeric password.

Its beginning to appear that changing to the 13 digit alphanumeric password is what actually made the difference in being able to connect ? I dont understand why im just stating what i experienced.

with this same 13 digit alphanumeric password, I have tested connecting successfully with : WPA , WPA2, WPA+WPAs, and WEP 128bit all work for me now ?

they all seem to get the same strength signal within one bar of each other.

I have decided to leave it set to "WPA+WPA2+"

I now also cant seem to cause the same reconnect issue it seemed to have before, but this is currently with the device being charged up, as I ran out of charge though i cant make the reconnect dialog appear even on battery now ?

do you all still have issues with WPA ? as a 13 digit password seemed to solve it all for me ? just cant explain why ?

Guest ancientyne
also , when i select which network to connect too , the Wifi tab status goes thru , connecting ( 10 seconds), disconnected (20 secs) , scanning 10 secs , and just cycles thru these 3 status`

Southpaw : hmm that aint good are these networks you have control over the wifi security settings of ? and can change ? as its definately worth a try ? say changing the security type and password used.

its interesting the blade to me auto detects what security is being used, but always lists WPA of whatever type as WPA/WPA2 (default orange rom this is with, will flash modaco today tommorow)

good luck with it but without being able to change security on the router im thinking its going to be difficult, is this a new occurence since romming ? or since purchase ?

Guest southpaw1
Southpaw : hmm that aint good are these networks you have control over the wifi security settings of ? and can change ? as its definately worth a try ? say changing the security type and password used.

its interesting the blade to me auto detects what security is being used, but always lists WPA of whatever type as WPA/WPA2 (default orange rom this is with, will flash modaco today tommorow)

good luck with it but without being able to change security on the router im thinking its going to be difficult, is this a new occurence since romming ? or since purchase ?

yes mate , i got total control over home network ,

any pointers on what would be besat settings to select mate , many thanks