ZTE Blade - the right price?

Guest vulpy

I believe £99 is ridiculously low for a featured phone like this one. Given the superb spec and HW quality this was a a poor judgement from their marketing guys.

What would be your max price if say Orange decided to up the price?

Let me start: £199 and this would stil be a great deal on PAYG... Your turn!

Edited by vulpy

Guest an0key

It's hardly a featured phone in comparison to others in the market. It's a good phone, but nowhere near as featured as say the Desire or Nexus one, but that is reflected in the price, which is around the right spot.

I'd be prepared to pay what I did, £99.

Guest BigBearMDC
I believe £99 is ridiculously low for a featured phone like this one. Given the superb spec and HW quality this was a a poor judgement from their marketing guys.

What would be your max price if say Orange decide to up the price?

Let me start: £199 and this would stil be a great deal on PAYG... Your turn!

Oh wow, stop it! You're an orange employee right? :)

If so, 50 bucks are already too much. I'd suggest you to drop the price to 30 bucks ;)

Nah I'd say £100 are really fair. That's the price you should pay for a decent mobile. Most of the other handsets (I'm looking at you HTC) are just overprized.

Best regards,

BB

It's hardly a featured phone in comparison to others in the market. It's a good phone, but nowhere near as featured as say the Desire or Nexus one, but that is reflected in the price, which is around the right spot.

I'd be prepared to pay what I did, £99.

You're kidding, right? 512MB of RAM, a decent processor, a beautiful OLED screen, huge resolution and heck, it even looks nice and feels good in the hand!

Guest BigBearMDC
You're kidding, right? 512MB of RAM, a decent processor, a beautiful OLED screen, huge resolution and heck, it even looks nice and feels good in the hand!

Ouch, you're making me jelaous :)

Oh wow, stop it! You're an orange employee right? :)

If so, 50 bucks are already too much. I'd suggest you to drop the price to 30 bucks ;)

Nah I'd say £100 are really fair. That's the price you should pay for a decent mobile. Most of the other handsets (I'm looking at you HTC) are just overprized.

Best regards,

BB

LOL!!! Right, don't get the Orange guys too excited, they may come up with weird ideas! (btw, I'm not an Orange employee...)

Edited by vulpy

It's hardly a featured phone in comparison to others in the market. It's a good phone, but nowhere near as featured as say the Desire or Nexus one

Yes, you're right, the Nexus One has a slighty bigger screen, slightly faster proc and a better camera.

Not to mention < £100 quid devices in the market with WVGA 3.5" OLED screens, 512MB RAM, 200MB data storage, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, Open OS, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor, Digital Compass, FM radio etc. etc. are everywhere. ;)

</irony>

:)

P

Guest BigBearMDC

You should consider one thing: ZTE is able to produce a really decent handset for £100. I'm pretgy sure that HTC is by far bigger than ZTE, so it should be easy for them to produce an even cheaper and better phone. Mobile phines are just overprized nowadays. I hope we'll face a new era where we really get what we pay for!

Guest Simon O
it even looks nice and feels good in the hand!

That's what she said :)

But seriously I'd still be wanting the phone if it was £149. The fact it is £99 makes it an absolute steal and Orange have done the right thing by pricing it so low. Now what would make things interesting if other networks release similar phones for under £100. Apart from T-Mobile because we know they are releasing that Huawei Ideos and the specs are poor.

A couple of months ago £100 would have got you a Vodafone 845 or a Pulse Mini. So the fact this is priced £99 is amazing and it'll be amazing for a while.

Edited by flibblesan

You should consider one thing: ZTE is able to produce a really decent handset for £100. I'm pretgy sure that HTC is by far bigger than ZTE, so it should be easy for them to produce an even cheaper and better phone. Mobile phines are just overprized nowadays. I hope we'll face a new era where we really get what we pay for!

ZTE is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Much bigger than HTC I believe.

P

Guest jsplace
I said in my review that it would still be a good deal at £199, and I stand by that. :)

P

Even with the wildfire. Available for a (discounted ) £129?

Guest Simon O
ZTE is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Much bigger than HTC I believe.

P

HTC are pretty small compared to ZTE and even Huawei. Have to know that HTC just make handsets where as ZTE and Huawei make a huge range of telecoms equipment. ZTE are the third largest supplier of GSM equipment in the world. That kind of shows just how big they are.

The blade is one of the first Android devices they have produced and if they are managing to knock them out for such a low price I can only imagine what they could bring out in the future.

Honestly I can see ZTE becoming a major competitor to HTC by this time next year.

Guest alasota

I bought mine over the weekend to replace a stolen N1 (about a month ago). After buying a 'cheap' smartphone from t-mobile for £100 and really not getting on with it at all, got myself a Nokia X6 and again, could not really get used to it, discovering the San Fran and playing around with it over the weekend, this phone is an absolute steal!

Moving from a Nexus and being a bit of a power user (and loath to spend another £400+ on a phone, especially when there could be a new one soon), I was expecting to be disappointed. No way! Yes, the camera is poor, but otherwise, I'd happily pay £199 for it - and be pleased!

However, I'd like to think it is priced to get more people onto the Android platform - and that can only be good for all of us!

Guest meinnit

We should probably charge Orange for access to this thread :)

Personally I wouldn't pay much more than £150 for a phone so that would be my limit. If price wasn't an issue I would probably pay £180 max

Guest Matty-p

i would have paid £149 as a pulse was 75 at the time i got it and as it is now its not worth more than two new pulses with 6 month internet ect I would have bought it at.

but without orange branding and posibly a htc sticker i'd have paid easily 200

Guest Tony Fonda

well, 150 without branding

99 branded

(Sports Direct and IKEA keep trying to sell me their bags for 50p. The sale pitch is : They will last forever. My reply: do I look like a walking billboard to you?)

£99 is the perfect price for it, IMHO.

At a push I would pay £129 for generic/stock, but £99 is the ideal price for the phone as-is, with operator branding.

Guest pdauser92
£150 would be a good deal, £199 would be an ok deal.

£80 that I paid for mine? Feels like I stole it :)

Couldn't agree with you more! Mine was £79.98 including a £10 topup ;)

Edited by pdauser92

Guest Nick Rhodes

When you look at the current AND upcoming competition its a hard spec to beat.

If Orange can keep the prices as they are, then this will become a big seller in the £100 price bracket (and not just looking at Androids).

Timing was right, I would not be surprised if Orange wait for the positive reviews then start a big ad campaign in November up-to Xmas.

Cheers Nick