DELL STREAK Froyo Build Beta - Version 1.2.0 Released

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest Stephen Hyde

This is the official announcement of my Froyo ROM for dell streak.

THIS RELEASE IS NOW IN MY OPINION STABLE ENOUGH TO TRANSITION FROM BETA STATUS TO A PROPER RELEASE LEVEL

so further to this i have named my new release version 1.0. it still has bugs but none of them are serious enough to warrant remaining beta

the update process is now very simple to do but it does require that you flash a new baseband UNLESS YOUR USING A REBELSIM

Please see the excellent guide made by user homeiss here : http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...ing-the-streak/

Working:

Everything else that i know of work - may be some small issues that are being worked on - read thread as alot of issues are fixed by others here

30fps limit has been removed on all of these builds

Known Issues:

Accelerometer is dodgy at times but i cant pin down the issue yet - usually going into settings > display and toggling auto rotate on and off fixes

Known Bugs:

after you switch off wifi, the 3G data will not always come back on - head into mobile networks and toggle mobile data to fix

720P recording ONLY works if you choose mpeg4 as the codec, other ones WILL crash camera

we now have a nice new website blog for streakdroid - check it out and help me populate the wiki with faqs and get in the forums :) sites @ http://www.streakdroid.com

ok enough babbling on onto the howto:

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/[/code] [b]UPDATE 04/11/2010[/b] [b]Version 1.2.0[/b] [u]Changelog[/u] WiFi Native Tethering Working Updated Kernel Using one from Leaked Dell Froyo build Updated WiFi Driver To one used in Leaked Dell Froyo Build- enabled tethering to work Dropped in Dells new StageUI Added Dell Sync By Nero from Froyo rom, not sure how its used yet though Futher Performance Tweaks Thanks to new kernel and fards sysctl tweaks 720P Video recording support thanks to fards - may not work properly - see above in the 'known issues' area. (example video filmed by me: http://www.streakdroid.com/VID_20081206_193306.3gp) Reset lcd density to 160 to show StageUI properly LauncherPro 8.1.0 free version added to rom also You can choose the launcher to use on first boot (dell,adw,launcherpro) [b]UPDATE 27/10/2010[/b] [b]Version 1.1.1[/b] [u]Changelog[/u] VERY Minor bugfix release to fix rotation and cpu problem in 1.1 ;) No Wipe needed for this update as its pretty minor the single updated file is also available here in update.zip form - this should simply install over current rom [b]UPDATE 26/10/2010[/b] [b]Version 1.1[/b] [u]Changelog[/u] No Wipe needed for this update as its pretty minor Huge APNs list from cyanogenmod added (full wipe will be required for this to work i suspect) Lots of speed tweaks and fixed post_boot file so cpu scales correctly Updated ADW To 1.2.0 Added Astro file manager and Universal Androot 1.6.2Beta5 into rom [b]UPDATE 16/10/2010[/b] [b]Version 1.0[/b] [u]Changelog[/u] [b][u]A FULL WIPE OF /DATA IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AFTER INSTALLING THIS TO ENSURE MARKET WORKS PROPERLY[/u][/b] Moved from Beta to version 1 of a release version. Think my black theme is done, this only works in mdpi (lcd_densitys below 200) Modified build prop and some other system files to get market working properly, all 2.2 apps are now available in market including skype etc. [b]UPDATE 14/10/2010[/b] [b]Version 0.3[/b] [u]Changelog[/u] Heavily modified build.prop and init scripts for performance - ~of 1400 on quadrant now and upwards of 20fps on nenamark1 and 30+fps on neocore Added WPA_Supplicant binary with ad hoc support Now using my own nearly fully finished black theme Thanks to everyone for help on this build [b]UPDATE 11/10/2010[/b] [b]Version 0.2[/b] [u]Changelog[/u] Updated boot.img with less debugging services and hopefully should fix battery issues Updated GPS.conf with edited version provided by users andycap and fards (see page 30) - original file is in /system/etc named gps.conf.backup Removed couple of other apps that dont work (calibrator and packagechecker) added my newest version of build.prop links below have been updated as needed ok folks new howto for users: [b]Their are now 2 versions of this rom one for users who can update the baseband and one for those who need to stick with 2.1 baseband (REBELSIM USERS THIS MEANS YOU)[/b] Download Links: [b] please continue to report on download speeds for these files[/b] New Baseband Update Rom: http://build2.streakdroid.com/update-1.2.0-newbb.zip Stock Baseband Rom: http://build2.streakdroid.com/update-1.2.0-nobb.zip New Baseband File (required for new baseband rom): http://build2.streakdroid.com/amss.mbn Requirements: Fastboot Howto for installing NEW BASEBAND rom - see next howto for nobaseband update: 1. Download the Newbb update.zip and the amss.mbn file first of all - and copy the zip to your sd card 2. Drop your streak into fastboot mode and run the command below to flash the new baseband: Windows:
[code]fastboot -i 0x413c flash amss amss.mbn
Linux
fastboot flash amss amss.mbn
3. Next hold down both volume buttons and type the following command: Windows:
fastboot -i 0x413c reboot
Linux
fastboot reboot

keep vol keys held until you get to recovery menu

4. choose option 2 from the recovery menu and let clockwork recovery load

5. Select flash zip from sd

6. choose select zip from sd and find the update-1.2.0-newbb.zip and flash it

7. choose reboot option and hold both volume keys again

8. choose factory reset from recovery menu and then wait while device boots - may take upto 10 mins

Howto for installing nobaseband update:

1. Copy the nobb zip to your sd card then power down your streak

2. Hold both vol keys and turn on your streak, release them when you reach recovery menu

3. choose option 2 from the recovery menu and let clockwork recovery load

4. Select flash zip from sd

5. choose select zip from sd and find the update-1.2.0-newbb.zip and flash it

6. choose reboot option and hold both volume keys again

7. choose factory reset from recovery menu and then wait while device boots - may take upto 10 mins

this can be rooted using universal androot but could take 2 attempts

Thanks to:

Vinokirk for helping diagnose and sort out 2.1 baseband ril support and gps

Andycap & fards for providing modified Gps.conf

homeiss forthe excellent upgrade/downgrade guide

everyone else for just jumping in and helping each other, thats the true community sprit that makes me do this sort of dev for android and not some other mobile os.

everyone else who helped/is helping

hopefully thats everything :(

any issues theirs me and a few of my tech head irc helpers keeping an eye on the posts. or just jump in the irc channel #dellstreak on freenode for help.

also please feel free to donate to my work if you find it useful :P - links are in my sig

GBP Donate | USD Donate

Edited by Stephen Hyde

Guest jmhalder

include a donate link so I can drop a few bucks (quid) your way

*well, nevermind, its in your sig. Nonetheless, congrats, and... First!

*double edit: no 30fps limit, apn was automatically inputted for at&t, this works beautifully, gonna daily drive this, calls sound bluetooth wifi and camera all work... Seriously 95% there, this freaking rocks. Lots of things seem less buggy than the dell 2.1 build, havent had the touchscreen stop working or anything.

Edited by jmhalder

Guest Dogmann55

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on all you have achieved so far and in such a short time to is truly amazing IMO although personally i am going to wait until you have it finalised but i always said and believed you would achieve this way before Dell or 02 will and you have.

Marc

Guest 323spoon

Just to let folks using rebelsim that it doesnt pick up the sim card after the 2.2 baseband flash.

Thankfully the Update.pkg downgrades the baseband as you install 2.1 so you can go to 2.2 for a look and then come back to 2.1 if necessary.

Guest johnnobts

not the bravest Streak owner here. Can an AT&T owner confirm they still have voice and data with this build? Also, the APN settings can be re-applied? What's the password for the ATT MMS anyway? CINGULAR1?

Guest vinokirk
Just to let folks using rebelsim that it doesnt pick up the sim card after the 2.2 baseband flash.

Thankfully the Update.pkg downgrades the baseband as you install 2.1 so you can go to 2.2 for a look and then come back to 2.1 if necessary.

So its a no go for rebel sim users then?

Guest jmhalder

AHHHH! waited so long for this... and I cant seem to find a driver for "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM" on Vista, grrr.... I'll have to wait till I get home and use my Win7 machine.

Guest untrueparadox
AHHHH! waited so long for this... and I cant seem to find a driver for "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MSM" on Vista, grrr.... I'll have to wait till I get home and use my Win7 machine.

same on windows 7. any ideas how to install that driver? i tried manually updating it to the stuff included in streakflash, but none of them install. the hardware id turns out to be ven 05c6 dev 9002. when i change the .inf files to match it, it installs and the mfc detects it but errors. it shows a bunch of red lines and at the end, it says "ERROR[D10]: no com port found, not in dload mode."

i assume i would need an install of windows xp to flash it?

Guest jamezwarner

can anyone confirm the partition names that I need to flash? is it userdata or data?

fastboot -i 0x413c flash boot boot.img

fastboot -i 0x413c flash system system-edt.img

fastboot -i 0x413c flash userdata userdata.img

Guest jnovello
same on windows 7. any ideas how to install that driver? i tried manually updating it to the stuff included in streakflash, but none of them install. the hardware id turns out to be ven 05c6 dev 9002. when i change the .inf files to match it, it installs and the mfc detects it but errors. it shows a bunch of red lines and at the end, it says "ERROR[D10]: no com port found, not in dload mode."

i assume i would need an install of windows xp to flash it?

You really have to follow the directions to install the driver. Make sure you install the certificate and tun the test command. After that uninstall if you had already tried to choose the driver. Steve is correct it takes some time, but it does work. ( Win7 )

Thank you so much Steve. I knew this day would come. Up and running Froyo!

Edited by jnovello

Guest jnovello
can anyone confirm the partition names that I need to flash? is it userdata or data?

fastboot -i 0x413c flash boot boot.img

fastboot -i 0x413c flash system system-edt.img

fastboot -i 0x413c flash userdata userdata.img

Just remove the-edit from system and you should be good.

fastboot -i 0x413c flash system system.img

Guest jamezwarner

the file included is called system-edt.img not system.img... ?

Not sure how long first boot should be, I had the animated dell logo for about 5 mins, now just back to the static one, 10mins so far....

James

Guest parks387
the file included is called system-edt.img not system.img... ?

Not sure how long first boot should be, I had the animated dell logo for about 5 mins, now just back to the static one, 10mins so far....

James

i pulled battery (and disconnect your usb cable) and rebooted 2 or 3 times before you get the dell animated logo

Guest jamezwarner

After another 5 mins I pulled batt, this time I got the animated logo for about 15 seconds, then straight to the static dell logo - stuck here since!

Also mistakenly flashed to data not userdata on the second attempt - though it was still doing this the first time - problem?

Pretty sure baseband is OK - flashed all OK and green, and my device off charging screen has changed to a glassy battery...

James

Edited by jamezwarner

Guest Dunhamzzz

If anyone is having major problems with the QDLTool (I certainly did) I have written up a verbose guide here and noted a few pitfalls that I had. Hope this helps!

Guest ashwincr
Download the system.img the -edt one is borked :)

ok, used system-edt.img had to do chmod 777 on /etc/dbus.conf to boot.

everything seemed to be working, used universal Androot to get root. but busybox installer failed to install busybbox. had to manually install busybox. Titanium backup did not work..

downloading the new system.img to test.

So its a no go for rebel sim users then?

Yup, and I don't have a phone nearby to test if the old 'refresh network keys' work around from the old firmware can be applied here.

For people stuck at the boot screen, once again, start up ddms and see whats happening. I had wrong permissions on dbus.conf as I have before.