DELL STREAK Froyo Build Beta - Version 1.2.0 Released

Guest Stephen Hyde

Another colour me happy camper here.

I made heavy weather of the various guides that are around, specifically as regards flashboot. I have ended up writing my own Step by Step Guide for Hopeless Novices just for myself to help clarify.

I donated £25 early on back in the old days – which must be all of a week ago. It is incredible how much you have achieved and so quickly.

After your marathon stint tonight both here and on XDA-Developers I hope you have your feet up now and enjoying a cold beer.

So grateful for what you have done.

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

Well I don't know how things looked on earlier versions as I only flashed to Froyo once it reached V1 but unlike a lot of you I actually really like the Red in the notifications and have no problem reading it at all but as always I have my brightness set at maximum and don't know but maybe thats why i find it very easy to read maybe if some of you are using a lower brightness setting you may want to try it and see if it makes any difference or not.

Anyway I have now been running this new Rom for a little over a day and have got used to using ADW and the new sized icons so far I haven't had any problems installing any of my apps and added a few new ones to compensate for the changes from the Dell tweaks and have to say its all running really nicely now and battery life is the same as i have always had and is really good IMO especially considering its on full brightness and powering a 5" screen. I've also found the latest version of Seven is now even better on Froyo and has a great choice of widgets and sizes to and as always for me is working perfectly for my MSN and Yahoo accounts also Rock Player that was good before seems to of improved and plays even better now as well.

Once more great work Steve and all your work and efforts are greatly appreciated by me as you have made a good device the best with this Rom as everything just runs so fast and smooth now I'm not really sure what else i could even want at this time as I hardly ever use the Camera and have never used the Video recording so for me everything is great just as it is now. Wow i just looked back and realised that all this has happened in just 10 days from Steve's initial release that in its self is truly amazing for what has been achieved so glad Steve bought and develops for the Streak and not some other device really we should count ourselves lucky for having his input and work i know the X10 people would kill for even half of what we have from thier Devs.

Marc

Edited by Dogmann55

Guest Ed Venture
Okay - I just did some testing and I am having the exact same problem. No call waiting, but if I call in from another phone while on the line and hang up on my primary call, the second call is automatically answered. I tried calling AT&T to verify my call waiting settings are correct, but they are doing updates on their system and help will not be available until 12:00 PM EST.

If it helps, call waiting worked on the last two revisions of the ROM. I will check back in after AT&T comes back on-line in an hour or so.

In the mean time, if there is any data that can be collected while my phone is in this state, I will be happy to run any tests or diagnostics that may help - just let me know :)

Ed

Just got off the phone with AT&T support (sorry for the delay) and I still have the same problem. I talked with a level one and a level two support technician before they wanted to bring Dell into the call. Needless to say - that would do no good. Here is what happened:

(1) They had me power off, remove the battery, and re-boot; failed.

(2) Set and re-set call waiting in my Android settings and reboot; failed.

(3) From their end, they reset my call waiting feature and had me re-boot; failed.

(4) They asked if my wifes phone was at the same location and had me swap SIM cards and reboot; failed (hers worked, mine did not - thus they narrowed it down to phone and not SIM or account settings).

(5) Suggested that we move on to Dell support.

Because I was running a non-standard ROM, I got the number from them and said I would call when it was more convenient since I was on the phone with them for 40 minutes. It sounds like the problem has crept in from the last build to the current one.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. This isn't urgent for me (I rarely pick-up call waiting), but it may be for others. Can we get someone on O2 to test the call waiting feature? Perhaps on other carriers as well? This may be an AT&T fluke and it may not affect others.

Ed

Guest outsidah
Just got off the phone with AT&T support (sorry for the delay) and I still have the same problem. I talked with a level one and a level two support technician before they wanted to bring Dell into the call. Needless to say - that would do no good. Here is what happened:

(1) They had me power off, remove the battery, and re-boot; failed.

(2) Set and re-set call waiting in my Android settings and reboot; failed.

(3) From their end, they reset my call waiting feature and had me re-boot; failed.

(4) They asked if my wifes phone was at the same location and had me swap SIM cards and reboot; failed (hers worked, mine did not - thus they narrowed it down to phone and not SIM or account settings).

(5) Suggested that we move on to Dell support.

Because I was running a non-standard ROM, I got the number from them and said I would call when it was more convenient since I was on the phone with them for 40 minutes. It sounds like the problem has crept in from the last build to the current one.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. This isn't urgent for me (I rarely pick-up call waiting), but it may be for others. Can we get someone on O2 to test the call waiting feature? Perhaps on other carriers as well? This may be an AT&T fluke and it may not affect others.

Ed

Sounds like you went through my same similar experience.

It's something with the ROM.

1.6 works, 2.1 works.

I can get CW working right now if I switch to SIM to another phone.

The worst part about this situation is picking up someone elses call if they happen to be calling while I am talking to someone. I haven't heard anyone else speak up about this so can anyone confirm their call waiting WORKS?

hi all

is anyone experiencing the "sticky slider" when trying to unlock again ?

i was having this issue with 2.1 and up until 2.2v1 i hadn't noticed it

anyone in the same boat ?

Guest cowballz
hi all

is anyone experiencing the "sticky slider" when trying to unlock again ?

i was having this issue with 2.1 and up until 2.2v1 i hadn't noticed it

anyone in the same boat ?

Yes its a known problem :) it will be ironed out im sure

Guest jnovello

The slider has been a pain in the a$$ since the O2 leak. I use menu to unlock and never worry about it, unless I have to answer a call. One thing that I have been getting lately is I like to use matrix like live wallpaper, but it leaves the apps menu almost impossible to use. I know it's more of a issue with each wallpaper I try, but they all seem to pull something away from functionality. I know they are a huge battery draw, but I feel like why introduce something if it can not be really enjoyed on a daily basis of usefulness.

Edited by jnovello

For the sluggish app drawer, I found turning off the 'horizontal app drawer' setting in the adw settings helps a bit. Still sluggish, but at least its usable.

mmm.... ok

i'm also now finding battery drain is a "lot" worse with 2.2v1 then beta v2 or v3... not compiling just advising :-)

can anyone concur ?

if I wanted to roll back to v2 or v3, can i just apply the update ?

Edited by ipguy

Guest UMAIR239
yeah same here :) used the guide from XDA but only got "Android Composite ADB Interface" (unless it is this ??) and tried pointing it to the Dell suite drivers and also downloaded teh SDK from google and it cant find it in there either ???

Stuck on the first hurdle :) Hope somebodya can help :)

Hey you guys are the same problem I had, here is what you need to do: download PDNet

you can find it just by typing it in google, it will guide you through the installation and your system will then be able to recognize your streak, it's installs a usb driver that makes your device to be recognized in fastboot mode, hope that hells, let me know...

Guest payneardo
Hey you guys are the same problem I had, here is what you need to do: download PDNet

you can find it just by typing it in google, it will guide you through the installation and your system will then be able to recognize your streak, it's installs a usb driver that makes your device to be recognized in fastboot mode, hope that hells, let me know...

Thanks for that :)

But used the driver "Android Composite ADB Interface" and it worked fine and now enjoying froyo on my streak now and soon as payday comes along, a donation to the excellent work and support from DJ Steve (who also assisted me in IRC chat)

and thanks to everybody else who other help and advise :)

Guest PJBonoVox
Hm, dropbox doesn't seem to be working with V1.

Can connect, see all my files, but when trying to download tells me network error and I can't grab any of my files.

Works fine for me so I doubt it's a V1 issue. Perhaps the DB servers were experiencing issues?

Guest dancemb

The more I look around at the forum and this Froyo stable version, I am getting more and more jealous that I dont have one of these yet.

The only thing that is holding me back from buying one of these is my january contract expiry, but will be sure to buy one in december (before VAT Rise) and then hopefully this will be a Froyo without any issues or bugs with the pace Steve is going.

What id like to ask, when the "official" 2.2 update eventually comes from Dell, will people use that, or keep steve's version? Would Dell lumber the update with stuff people dont really need or want? Just want to know what version I will come to install, as I will have this phone up and running by around xmas time, even if it does mean running 2 contracts at the same time.

Guest alert_bri
The more I look around at the forum and this Froyo stable version, I am getting more and more jealous that I dont have one of these yet.

The only thing that is holding me back from buying one of these is my january contract expiry, but will be sure to buy one in december (before VAT Rise) and then hopefully this will be a Froyo without any issues or bugs with the pace Steve is going.

What id like to ask, when the "official" 2.2 update eventually comes from Dell, will people use that, or keep steve's version? Would Dell lumber the update with stuff people dont really need or want? Just want to know what version I will come to install, as I will have this phone up and running by around xmas time, even if it does mean running 2 contracts at the same time.

That's a good question... in terms of performance, I have no doubt that Steve's version will be preferable to the bloatware enabled official release by O2 - however, if the official release develops a software/system fault, I would be able to get it fixed or repaired by O2.

The problem I'm facing right now, is that I have a Streak which is locked to v2.1 (beta) after installing Steve's v2.2 beta 1, getting a crash and the *only* image I can recover is v2.1... but worse than that, the Market place is locked, and I can't download any attachments to e-mails. I can't upgrade or downgrade this unit - it's useless. Luckily O2 will replace this time... but next time I'll be completely stuffed. That could be an expensive situation!

Cheers

Brian

Guest RedSlug

Just to be clear. I don't mind the red on grey in the notification bar. That's fine. I just have difficulty reading the red on black notification which is on the screen for a couple of seconds when an event happens.

Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean.. I have reduced the side of the picture to roughly the size of a Streak's physical size so you can see what I mean...

streak.jpg

Not a major issue at all. :) :)

Edited by RedSlug

Guest synaptic.flaws

I am only getting a 3G indicator for the data connection, no H, is there a tweak in the build.prop that I missed?

Steve's awareness knows no bounds!

Guest OrionBG

About the battery issues some report! I disconnected my streak at 7:30am from the charger. Now nearly 6 hours later it is still on 97%. 3% for 6 hours of standby looks really OK to me! I haven't seen any difference from my 2.1 days :)

Guest dancemb
That's a good question... in terms of performance, I have no doubt that Steve's version will be preferable to the bloatware enabled official release by O2 - however, if the official release develops a software/system fault, I would be able to get it fixed or repaired by O2.

The problem I'm facing right now, is that I have a Streak which is locked to v2.1 (beta) after installing Steve's v2.2 beta 1, getting a crash and the *only* image I can recover is v2.1... but worse than that, the Market place is locked, and I can't download any attachments to e-mails. I can't upgrade or downgrade this unit - it's useless. Luckily O2 will replace this time... but next time I'll be completely stuffed. That could be an expensive situation!

Cheers

Brian

The thing is that I will be buying the Dell streak direct, so it will be SIM free & Unlocked, as thats the way I prefer, and will be cheaper in the long run to go this way, as I want to use Vodafone for the special deals and the best signal strength anywhere.

Will this make a difference, as it will be the direct from Dell without the O2 network bloatware

Guest popetodd

Depends on if Dell releases roms for each of the different devices.

So far there have only been O2 official releases and those will of course have O2 related bloatware installed.

I would think that they would release a version for each of their carriers when 2.2 official comes out as well as an unbranded version for the unlocked sets, only time will tell if they are on top of it that way though.

Edited by popetodd

Guest maskaler

More good news, fards has tweeted that he's fixed the 3gpp/non-HD issues and it's another nifty build.prop change...

Hopefully they can be pasted in here so I can rootexplorer them up :))

Guest Adilson

Hi

Let me congratulate the people here, specially DJ Steve for the awesome work. I've been following this thread since I bought a Dell Streak a few days ago and now that I return home I had the time to test it. It's f..ing awesome! Looks like a different device. I have the feeling that I wasted my money buying a Milestone a few months ago... sigh... anyways, donation ahoy!

Guest dancemb

I would hope that they would have 2 different versions of the OS, as thats the way that it should be, 1 to cater for the majority of handsets locked and connected to O2, and then 2 for everyone that paid the hefty fee for the unlocked versions.

No point shelling out £450, only to get an O2 OS that you dont want in the first place!

Guest maskaler
I would hope that they would have 2 different versions of the OS, as thats the way that it should be, 1 to cater for the majority of handsets locked and connected to O2, and then 2 for everyone that paid the hefty fee for the unlocked versions.

No point shelling out £450, only to get an O2 OS that you dont want in the first place!

Do they not? The only discernible difference would be the O2 splash image and perhaps some preset APNs / voicemail settings. I'm not sure what else about the Dell UI could be considered "O2"?