CyanogenMod 6 port for Pulse

Guest Tom G

Guest harrise

I installed few apps but now I am getting low space message.I have seleted in Cyanogen mod istallation to exteranl and allow application moving.

What I am doing wrong?

Edit: Post deleted. This post has been superseded by a new thread detailing how to install CM6.1-beta0.30, an OC kernel, DT Apps2SD, Google Apps for Pulse, and other fixes. Please click on this link if you want instructions on how to do that: CLICK ME

(And my apologies to Tom G for having cluttered up this thread in the first place. Thanks for your great work on this rom!)

Edited by twrock

Guest rulerofkaos

I have a problem, if i try to use swap with these commands:

mkswap /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

it works if I'm using ADB, but with terminal emulator on the phone I get "Device or resource busy"

Guest naniteboy
Optional: UK 2.1 update (updata.app; just in case you really want to start over)

Optional: Install Clockwork Recovery (if you did the first step)

Partition your SD card with a fat32 partition for data storage, an ext2 partition for apps to sd (256mb is fine or 512; whatever), and a swap partition (64mb is fine).

Copy these three files over to your SD card (whether via CW Recovery or by some other means): CM6.1-RC0-Pulse-beta-0.30.zip, dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip, gapps-pulse-20100930-signed.zip.

Boot into CW recovery and WIPE everything.

While in still in CW Recovery, install the zips in the order above (I don't know if the order is critical, but it is what I did). Do not reboot in between; install them one after another.

Reboot.

<cut>

Interesting enough - this way exactly how I installed it the first time (but with reboots in between of flashing all ZIPs) - and it didn't work.

This way seem to have worked ... thank you!

hi tom,

i dont know how to extract the gallery apk out of the system.img in your 0.2 release.

im on winxp here.

so, do i have to reinstall 0.2 first and pull the apk to sd? then install 0.3 later and push the apk back to the phone?

answer to myself :) . i found a working gallery 3d in xda devs (ROM V20 27-SEP).

i used this release, cause someone in the thrad says, that the rotation problem is fixed with the ROM V20 27-SEP release.

hope the link is allowed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...ight=gallery+3d

i downloaded the release and extracted the gallery 3d. then pushed it into system/app.

no rotation problem anymore.

Edited by msig

Guest igor_anta
FLB2 was based on the AOSP roms which also had the broken gallery. The gallery from 0.1 or 0.2 should work. It has been broken in a more recent update to CyanogenMod.

Tom you should use the Gallery3D from the Hero RC1 release. If you're using the one from Dream/Sapphire it wont work. Other then that I can't find any flaw in your release, purely awesome! If someone can port the cyanogen kernel it would be just a bonus :) Cheers!

Guest fredewis

i guys im looking into upgrading but need to know wat is and is not working and if the fixes could be put in a list for me so i can add them (apk) or zip thanks guys and sorry for questining i may get a sf but i wanna try this if happy wont change phone till next year.

Guest totiadrenalin

I have the solution that will solve all of the problems.

But you will please wait 4 hours.

Sorry

I'll post new update.zip with the userinit script, kernel, and all the stuffs that need to be modificated.

I have them all in place, but I don't have time to create the update-script and to sign the zip.

:)

The system apps and /system/framework will be odexed automatic

the cpu will be set to max freq, but some modifications will be made, and it'll use low battery power,

Down voltage.

Best Regards

TOTI

Guest UrbanRider

Sorry

I'll post new update.zip with the userinit script, kernel, and all the stuffs that need to be modificated.

I have them all in place, but I don't have time to create the update-script and to sign the zip.

the cpu will be set to max freq, but some modifications will be made, and it'll use low battery power,

Down voltage.

Best Regards

TOTI

awesome

so it will be a all in one?

CM 0.30 + AIO = joy

Guest starkos

Sorry

Down voltage.

Best Regards

TOTI

If you're re-packaging Tom's rom then I suggest you start your own thread. It will become very confusing/difficult & time consuming for Tom to follow any bugs that are specifically related to his release if users start giving feedback on your release within the same thread! :)

Edited by starkos

Guest thisweb
Froyo A2SD = So easy an old lady could do it.

Agree but DTA2SD is very easy to install - just flash zip in recovery. No other steps required. Anyone who can upgrade their rom won't have any issues with it

Guest thisweb
Interesting points.

I'm not sure about EXT beng intrinsically faster than FAT though? Also the encryption should allay concerns over relative safety.

On a performance front - whilst it makes sense that the encryption would hit performance, Google have stated that there's "no effect on the application performance so long as the external storage is mounted". It would be interesting to see benchmarks for this.

Here's a few points potentially in favour of Froyo asec over apps2sd IMO

1) No need to partition the SD card. This is arguably crucial to widespread adoption. Also it means you don't have to muck about with repartitioning the card if you realise you need more room, or if you oversized it and wasted your space.

2) General reliability. Personally I never found apps2sd functionality reliable. So far no problems noticed with asec.

3) Standardised to the platform. It's a built in feature and has been developed and tested as a core part of the platform rather than hacked together by (admittedly skilled) amateurs. Arguably there may be compatibility benefits in some circumstances.

I think I'll be sticking with froyo's built in asec.

When I talk about EXT being safer I mean that it is less prone to file corruption than FAT as it verifies data before writing changes to the files system. I agree partitioning your card is a disadvantage but these days 512mb isn't much space and more than enough for plenty of apps. I've never found DTA2SD unreliable or problematic. What issues have you had? FroyoA2SD encryption is my biggest bug bear. Its a waste of precious processor resources (especially on the pulse - and if there is no performance loss (how?) why not use the performance gain you'd then have by not encrypting it) . It seems to serve no other purpose than to pander to copy protection demends from big (not necessarily good!) developers. Its a pain in the butt for open source developers. It also means you can't copy, edit or backup apks easily. I thought this kind of nonsense had been canned with all the other DRM crap from the last decade. And as for FroyoA2SD reliability, some people seem to be saying apps and widgets won't install properly. I can't comment on speed but a few have mentioned its slower - though this could be subjective.

Sorry didn't mean that to sound like a rant! I am still considering froyoA2SD just can't see what the fuss is about yet. :) :) :(

Edited by thisweb

Guest naniteboy
When I talk about EXT being safer I mean that it is less prone to file corruption than FAT as it verifies data before writing changes to the files system. I agree partitioning your card is a disadvantage but these days 512mb isn't much space and more than enough for plenty of apps. I've never found DTA2SD unreliable or problematic. What issues have you had? FroyoA2SD encryption is my biggest bug bear. Its a waste of precious processor resources (especially on the pulse - and if there is no performance loss (how?) why not use the performance gain you'd then have by not encrypting it) . It seems to serve no other purpose than to pander to copy protection demends from big (not necessarily good!) developers. Its a pain in the butt for open source developers. It also means you can't copy, edit or backup apks easily. I thought this kind of nonsense had been canned with all the other DRM crap from the last decade. And as for FroyoA2SD reliability, some people seem to be saying apps and widgets won't install properly. I can't comment on speed but a few have mentioned its slower - though this could be subjective.

Sorry didn't mean that to sound like a rant! I am still considering froyoA2SD just can't see what the fuss is about yet. :( :( :(

My 2 cents - just reinstalled CM 6.1 0.3 again (this time properly, to make DT A2SD work :)) and I am certain that it's running better, more reliable, and faster than Froyo A2SD. No app with widget would work on Froyo's version, storage would go down like mad after installing any app and with exactly the same apps as yesterday, when I had 12MB free, now I have 40MB free (cache still on internal memory, I'll move it to SD if I need to). So - IMHO - Froyo A2SD is just semi-solution. Google should've integrated DT A2SD into Android (and of course pay the authors for their work - not like they don't have enough money :)) One, maybe, important thing, I also turned off compcache in Cynogen Mod settings and left only 64MB swap on SD. Phone now seems to run more smoothly and battery life also seems better (from what I can tell in about 6 hours after upgrade). But of course - this may be a different story for OC kernel - which I don't use (again - battery life is more important to me than some score in LinPack, which I don't really feel in normal usage).

Guest AntonioPT
My 2 cents - just reinstalled CM 6.1 0.3 again (this time properly, to make DT A2SD work :)) and I am certain that it's running better, more reliable, and faster than Froyo A2SD. No app with widget would work on Froyo's version, storage would go down like mad after installing any app and with exactly the same apps as yesterday, when I had 12MB free, now I have 40MB free (cache still on internal memory, I'll move it to SD if I need to). So - IMHO - Froyo A2SD is just semi-solution. Google should've integrated DT A2SD into Android (and of course pay the authors for their work - not like they don't have enough money :)) One, maybe, important thing, I also turned off compcache in Cynogen Mod settings and left only 64MB swap on SD. Phone now seems to run more smoothly and battery life also seems better (from what I can tell in about 6 hours after upgrade). But of course - this may be a different story for OC kernel - which I don't use (again - battery life is more important to me than some score in LinPack, which I don't really feel in normal usage).

+ ∞

I love it when amateur developers are better than big professional companies. :(

Guest totiadrenalin
awesome

so it will be a all in one?

CM 0.30 + AIO = joy

Ok.

I Told Tom to include the userinit.sh shell script.

Well I reedit the script now.

Please give some minutes to check if anything works first.

The Overclocked 710MHZ kernel will be included.

The frequency will be set to 691mhz.

But the script will set something in the CPU configuration, and the CPU load will stay as long as it can in lower frequency.

Also alls system applications will be odexed by default each time the phone is rebooted.

I include the cm6 Gallery3D.apk from saphary, which is working.

Also if you have swap partition the linux swap will swapon on boot time, with compcache.

don't worry about the lower banchmarks in linpack.

That's ok.

So.

I'll upload the script in minutes.

Guest totiadrenalin
If you're re-packaging Tom's rom then I suggest you start your own thread. It will become very confusing/difficult & time consuming for Tom to follow any bugs that are specifically related to his release if users start giving feedback on your release within the same thread! :)

No.

Just a update.zip

not a rom.

Guest Theme Ishere

I have got a problem with Swap: When I installed the CyanogenMod and A2SD it worked fine, I had loads of apps in the background and switching was fast. Then I did the old Lowmem-moderate (and no, I am not completely aware why I did it or what it does but according the the Pulse User Guide it is supposed to be better...shouldn't do noobish things anymore!) and now it holds as good as no apps in memory. I cannot switch from the browser to handcent for exxample without having to reload everything. lowmem-strict and all the rest don't change anything. Is there anything to undo this and go back to the "all in memory" as it was in the beginning?

Guest totiadrenalin

Well guys.

The Update is ready.

Tested and working.

So now.

Fixes:

----------------------------------------------------

Apps:

Working Gallery3D.apk

Huawei sync.

TouchPal.apk

-----------------------------------------------------

CPU freq set to 691MhZ.

CPU Up Threshold set to 40%

CPU Powersave Bias set to 150

------------------------------------------------------

SWAP:

Compcache + Linux Swap

Swappiness set to 45

Swapon swap partition /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

-------------------------------------------------------

Added some lib files needed for Huawei sync app

and TouchPal app

Also the terminal fix from FLIBBLE

Аutomatically odexing the system apps and framework.

This will save up to 20MB in your /data/ - Internal storage

How to!

First Download prepare_update-signed.zip

Paste to the root directory of your sdcard root direcotiry

Via recovery flash it.

Reboot.

After the phone boots up.

Download CM6_Minor_Update-signed.zip

Do the same as with prepare_update-signed.zip

The first boot will take longer, until all of the apps are odexed.

It's Getting to late here.

I'm going to bad.

So tomorrow I'll start a new thread for all new minor updates for CM6 froyo port for Pulse.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that changing the cpu configuration will resoult with better CPU respond + longer battery life.

Best Regards

TOTI

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest totiadrenalin

Next Minor Update will be automaticly mooving apps and - or dalvik-cache to sd-ext without using DTa2sd.

But youl follow this on the new thread I'll open tomorrow.

Best Regards

TOTI

Well guys.

The Update is ready.

Tested and working.

So now.

Fixes:

----------------------------------------------------

Apps:

Working Gallery3D.apk

Huawei sync.

TouchPal.apk

-----------------------------------------------------

CPU freq set to 691MhZ.

CPU Up Threshold set to 40%

CPU Powersave Bias set to 150

------------------------------------------------------

SWAP:

Compcache + Linux Swap

Swappiness set to 45

Swapon swap partition /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Added some lib files needed for Huawei sync app

and TouchPal app

Also the terminal fix from FLIBBLE

Аutomatically odexing the system apps and framework.

This will save up to 20MB in your /data/ - Internal storage

How to!

First Download prepare_update-signed.zip

Paste to the root directory of your sdcard root direcotiry

Via recovery flash it.

Reboot.

After the phone boots up.

Download CM6_Minor_Update-signed.zip

Do the same as with prepare_update-signed.zip

The first boot will take longer, until all of the apps are odexed.

It's Getting to late here.

I'm going to bad.

So tomorrow I'll start a new thread for all new minor updates for CM6 froyo port for Pulse.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that changing the cpu configuration will resoult with better CPU respond + longer battery life.

Best Regards

TOTI

Thank you for your efforts. However, after flashing the updates to the phone, no wording of "completed" shown on the screen and the changes after reboot.

I have got a problem with Swap: When I installed the CyanogenMod and A2SD it worked fine, I had loads of apps in the background and switching was fast. Then I did the old Lowmem-moderate (and no, I am not completely aware why I did it or what it does but according the the Pulse User Guide it is supposed to be better...shouldn't do noobish things anymore!) and now it holds as good as no apps in memory. I cannot switch from the browser to handcent for exxample without having to reload everything. lowmem-strict and all the rest don't change anything. Is there anything to undo this and go back to the "all in memory" as it was in the beginning?

tried issuing command "lowmem-default"?