15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest mountainchris

Continuing with stage 2...

Plug your phone into the USB cable, and let the SD card mount (this works without any drivers in Ubuntu).

Copy the .zip file off your desktop into the ROOT of the sdcard

...confused by the bit in bold? My phone appears in finder (MAC) with 4 folders: Android, DCIM, LOST.DIR &z7logs so where do I copy the .zip file to??

Cheers

Guest taannuk
Continuing with stage 2...

Plug your phone into the USB cable, and let the SD card mount (this works without any drivers in Ubuntu).

Copy the .zip file off your desktop into the ROOT of the sdcard

...confused by the bit in bold? My phone appears in finder (MAC) with 4 folders: Android, DCIM, LOST.DIR &z7logs so where do I copy the .zip file to??

Cheers

It is simple - copy to your SD card - NOT into any folders or subfolders on the card!

Guest mountainchris
It is simple - copy to your SD card - NOT into any folders or subfolders on the card!

Yep simple when you know how :) ended up googling it! Now have Custombladevillain 1.1.0 on Grey TFT running happily on my phone... cheers for all the help and if anyone is struggling with doing this on a MAC then hopefully my daft questions have helped!

The pipes error seems to have caused no problems with the clockworkmod as that runs fine... :)

Off to see what this phone can do without all the orange garbage on it! All the best...

Guest wolverine73

Have been trying for a while to download the link in this post and install the clockworkmod recovery but for some reason after downloading it says that the file type isn't supported and i'm to look online for help in viewing the file, i've been trying for 2 hours ,redownloading and i'm getting nowhere fast :) ;http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/319565/oled-tft-30-nov-2-5-1-3-clockworkmod-recovery/

Any help would be great - didn't want to fall at the first hurdle :)

Guest tasosf1996

which is the rom with the least number of issues ? What rom do you recommend me flash ( don't care if it is 2.1 or 2.2 ) ?

When is says wipe for intance in Hedgedog Hungurian rom ? wipe data / factory reset OR wipe cache partition ?

how can i add the add - ons flash them ( steps please ) ?

Guest hedgepigdaniel

Followed your instructions on Ubuntu 10.04 and am now enjoying Froyo. very much appreciated!

I had to clear cache and reset - It wouldn't boot until I did that.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Cheers for your help... now got the clockworkmod file and transfered it to the fastboot file (did end up using firefox!)... followed stage 1 and it seemed to work although got the following message in terminal window:

"ERROR: could not get pipe properties

rebooting... "

Is that something important? Do I need to do anything before I move onto stage 2?

Thanks in advance... :)

Glad to see further down that this didnt matter - I will add it to the guide

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

11th December - Removed the POLL, votes were conclusive.

11th December - Added info an ignorable warning when install Clockwork on MAC, also clarified copy a file to ROOT of SDCARD

Guest LostGeordie

Hi guys,

Is there a stable 2.1 rom for the blade with tft screen? Like the modaco custom rom 2.1. Wat wud ppl recommend? Its for my dad so i want a reliable one for long time.

Thanks

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi guys,

Is there a stable 2.1 rom for the blade with tft screen? Like the modaco custom rom 2.1. Wat wud ppl recommend? Its for my dad so i want a reliable one for long time.

Thanks

Any of the 2.1 which have OLE/TFT after the name (in first post) are good - I hear good things about Customised BladeVillain 1.1.0 RLS3 TFT/OLE (2.1 Eclair).

I Support about 6 people who are not superuser, I put them on Pauls R4 of 2.1, but now I am swapping them to the new ALHPA 2.2

MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4 (based on new Chinese leak) TFT/OLE (2.2 Froyo)

Guest LostGeordie

Thanks. Im curently using 2.1 modaco custom rom and its been great. Im tempted by trying a 2.2 for myself but want a basic rom for my dad, so reliable is gona be important. When i ordered the phone i thought id use the same rom as me, but orange have delayed so long with order (its been a nightmare) im guessing he will now get a tft screen.

Thanks for the advise. I will prob go for the bladevillain then.

Any of the 2.1 which have OLE/TFT after the name (in first post) are good - I hear good things about Customised BladeVillain 1.1.0 RLS3 TFT/OLE (2.1 Eclair).

I Support about 6 people who are not superuser, I put them on Pauls R4 of 2.1, but now I am swapping them to the new ALHPA 2.2

MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4 (based on new Chinese leak) TFT/OLE (2.2 Froyo)

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks. Im curently using 2.1 modaco custom rom and its been great. Im tempted by trying a 2.2 for myself but want a basic rom for my dad, so reliable is gona be important. When i ordered the phone i thought id use the same rom as me, but orange have delayed so long with order (its been a nightmare) im guessing he will now get a tft screen.

Thanks for the advise. I will prob go for the bladevillain then.

Maybe you should use his phone for a few days just to check that you are happy with it.

Guest StevenHarperUK
you say that the checksum for r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip is bcd08f13347cfcb85915d28d9ab26dd5

but http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...online-kitchen/

and my machine say that it is 05c8445bd0c5a19136d8955fe5baa542

anyway, just used your guide to install r4 and it worked very well

thank you

Thanks a Lot I am downloading the file again now to check who has the md5sum right : I suspect mine may be wrong - possibly the download has updated.

Guest StevenHarperUK
just installed the MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4 in my zte blade following your guide!

thanks a lot!!!

Pleasure - Love to see 1st posts being in my Thread :) - its exactly why I made this thread - so new users don't go wrong.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi I am new to android and I attempted to install Paul's Froyo alpha 3 rom

However at the last stage of installation, i.e. after reboot, my phone is stuck on the www.modaco.com page flashing every minute or so

I am stuck. Any idea how to get out of that page/reboot??

I presume taking out the battery might brick the phone??

Thanks a lot

Your fine - the problem is that you didnt do the

Factory Reset

and

Clear Cache

in Clockwork

Boot the phone (with the down volume button held) then choose these 2 options in clockwork - then choose reboot.

If this doesnt work - try a boot without the sd card

Edit : What did you do?

Edited by StevenHarperUK