15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi, thanks for the guide at the top of this thread. I am currently reading through it before upgrading the phone. Can you tell me if MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4 is OLE or OLE/TFT? It says one thing at the top of the post (OLE) and another a bit further down (OLE/TFT), cheers. Mine is TFT as you have probably guessed :(

The 2.1 ROM MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4 is OLE

The 2.2 ROM MoDaCo Custom Froyo A3 is TFT/OLE

DONT FLASH the 2.1 MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4

Guest Paul Fraser

Thanks for the quick reply: is this part of the guide correct then or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Stage 2: Unzip/Install the Rom ONE of the files below

12-oct-r4-modaco-custom-rom-mcr-downloads-online-kitchen TFT/OLE

12-oct-r4-modaco-custom-rom-mcr-downloads-online-kitchen (no MoDaCo Addons) TFT/OLE

When I click on the link the ROM seems to be based on the OLE one (I think...)

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for the quick reply: is this part of the guide correct then or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Stage 2: Unzip/Install the Rom ONE of the files below

12-oct-r4-modaco-custom-rom-mcr-downloads-online-kitchen TFT/OLE

12-oct-r4-modaco-custom-rom-mcr-downloads-online-kitchen (no MoDaCo Addons) TFT/OLE

When I click on the link the ROM seems to be based on the OLE one (I think...)

wow your right : Im off to fix it asap

Sounds like you flashed either a ROM that is OLE only or you installed Superboot.

I bet you screen has a blue tint too.

You need to follow this guide

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-on-tft-device/

Thanks for this. Spot on :(

Except for the blue tinge. Never noticed that but could be my eyes.

I went with Sebastian's Lite r7 ROM without any addons (I assume I can add these in later if I wish?).

So much better than the Orange effort.

Thanks again

Hi Just got my new orange san francisco. I've unlocked it without any trouble....now I want to debrand it..

looking at the first page of this thread...I'm unsure of which rom to use.

I know that my phone is a TFT screen. (OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08)

so my question to you is which rom id best to use?

Many Thanks :(

Edited by umster

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi Just got my new orange san francisco. I've unlocked it without any trouble....now I want to debrand it..

looking at the first page of this thread...I'm unsure of which rom to use.

I know that my phone is a TFT screen. (OUK_P729BV1.0.0B08)

so my question to you is which rom id best to use?

Many Thanks :(

My current preference is Japanese jellyfish

My current preference is Japanese jellyfish

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply back

I was looking at this one "MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4 (based on new Chinese leak)" please can you advise me the differences

many thanks

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply back

I was looking at this one "MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4 (based on new Chinese leak)" please can you advise me the differences

many thanks

Not much. Japanese jellyfish is a bit newer.

And I find a bit smoother

Not much. Japanese jellyfish is a bit newer.

And I find a bit smoother

Excellent thank you

going to have a go now @ debrading it + rooting

oh!!

which one do i use

Get it here: Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS2.zip

Lite version: Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS2_lite.zip

50% AHB bus overclocking at 480 & 600MHz addon: Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS2_ahb_overclocked.zip

Edited by umster

Guest blackanchorage
Excellent thank you

going to have a go now @ debrading it + rooting

oh!!

which one do i use

Get it here: Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS2.zip

Lite version: Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS2_lite.zip

50% AHB bus overclocking at 480 & 600MHz addon: Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS2_ahb_overclocked.zip

Not sure of the differences between the first two, but the third is an add-on only.

Regards

Guest some_postman

I'm pretty new to this and have been doing my best to follow the guide, but I'm stuck.

I have ClockworkMod installed, but when I plug my phone into the USB port it tries to unsucessfully find USB drivers (I've installed the drivers). The removably drive shows up, but is not accessible. I'm up to needing access to the SD card so that I can put the ROM into the root directory.

Please help.

Guest meerdorf
This is a great guide. I was a bit apprehensive about trying it but this breaks it down in a nice way.

A lot of people put in a lot of work on this site so a big thank you to Paul and the others who make it easier for the noobs.

Yeah, I agree. Didn,t really have a clue until reading this forum. Cheers guys.

Guest ch0rlt0n
I'm pretty new to this and have been doing my best to follow the guide, but I'm stuck.

I have ClockworkMod installed, but when I plug my phone into the USB port it tries to unsucessfully find USB drivers (I've installed the drivers). The removably drive shows up, but is not accessible. I'm up to needing access to the SD card so that I can put the ROM into the root directory.

Please help.

This sounds like behaviour I saw after upgrading. By default, windows will install a usb storage driver, so a new drive shows up, but the 2.2. ROM didn't mount automatically so it looked like the drive was empty.

I had to re-install the ZTE USB drivers, which I'd already done for the original 2.1 ROM, but change the hardware IDs in the .inf file. blackanchorage posted a reference to the ZTE drivers, above, and Steve's updated the guide appropriately.

Edited by ch0rlt0n

Guest smokeddolphin

Well i was already more than pleased with my San Fran - managed to get my hands on a OLED one too about a month and a half ago, but after running through this guide and installing the custom modaco rom all i can say is a MASSIVE thank you to all involved in putting it on here, im used to Linux etc....but this has made it stupidly easy to "upgrade" my phone - and to anyone thinking about installing....DO IT, it really is an upgrade. The phone is faster, more responsive, doesnt load tons of orange cr*p at start up and persistently restart them....and strangely it seems that my screen is actually even sharper (there is probably a technical reason for this on the ROM post page, but im an impatient tecchie who reads what he needs to know then just dives straight in lol).

So, once again, massive thanks to all those involved in this how to and obviously to those involved in the ROM!!! :unsure:

Guest slab100

hi,

thanks very much for your help. i followed your guide exactly and it worked perfectly until i tried to make a phonecall

I installed japanese jellyfish RLs3b and the call goes through but the screen stays black so i cant access the dial pad. I have had to open back of phone and pull out battery to stop call.

anybody else have this issue or any ideas how to fix?

Guest StevenHarperUK
hi,

thanks very much for your help. i followed your guide exactly and it worked perfectly until i tried to make a phonecall

I installed japanese jellyfish RLs3b and the call goes through but the screen stays black so i cant access the dial pad. I have had to open back of phone and pull out battery to stop call.

anybody else have this issue or any ideas how to fix?

2 Possible causes

• You skipped clearing cache and factory reset (in clockwork)
  • Your download was somehow corrupted (just re-dl and reflash) check the md5

Guest zillfish

I've been using the r4 rom with total success (thanks to help from stevenharper), since before xmas. Since then I've been reading the posts and fancy trying a 2.2 rom. I now feel confident that I can follow the guide successfully.

A couple of questions:

I obviously want the best rom! stable and with all bits working. I know it's not that simple, but bearing in mind that a lot of the techie stuff goes over my head, I'd welcome opinions and recommendations.

I previously used clockwork 2.5.0.9, I see that you now use 2.5.1.8, do I HAVE to update?

Thanks in anticipation.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I've been using the r4 rom with total success (thanks to help from stevenharper), since before xmas. Since then I've been reading the posts and fancy trying a 2.2 rom. I now feel confident that I can follow the guide successfully.

A couple of questions:

I obviously want the best rom! stable and with all bits working. I know it's not that simple, but bearing in mind that a lot of the techie stuff goes over my head, I'd welcome opinions and recommendations.

I previously used clockwork 2.5.0.9, I see that you now use 2.5.1.8, do I HAVE to update?

Thanks in anticipation.

Check the ROM you choose most are compatible with 2.5.0.9.

I use the Japanese Jellyfish R3b (and overclock) and find it very good.