15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest BoDyTaNk
Yep, powered down, removed battery, it's not connected via USB, turn on with Vol Up held and it boots normally! :D

UPDATE 2 HOURS LATER:

Kept trying to reboot, left battery out for a while and it's worked :D

Have successfully loaded SuperUser, now on with stages 2 and 3, many thanks again :P

I am having the same problem. How long should I wait before re-inserting the battery? 5 minutes?

Great guide - thanks for all the effort you put in. Took me all of 10 minutes to get the de-orangeated ROM installed, and I've never done anything like this before.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Great guide - thanks for all the effort you put in. Took me all of 10 minutes to get the de-orangeated ROM installed, and I've never done anything like this before.

Thanks - news like this makes it all worth it.

BTW - Post updated with Paul's new lighter weight ROM - The Full featured ROM is still standard.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Great guide!

Never done anything like this before and got it right with no problems at all. Thanks!

Yes that should be enough : did you get any success?

Guest nedian05
Thanks - news like this makes it all worth it.

BTW - Post updated with Paul's new lighter weight ROM - The Full featured ROM is still standard.

Which ROM is better, the Sebastian R4 or paul's R4?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Which ROM is better, the Sebastian R4 or paul's R4?

Personally I am on the Modaco one, however I have not tried Sebastian yet - So I cannot say

Guest aza-aaron

Hi,

I have followed the instructions right up to selecting the zip file r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip and clicking "Yes" but then partway through installing it fails and I get "E:failure at Line6symlink iwmulticall SYSTEM:bin/iwconfig Installation aborted"

Taking the battery out and switching on the phone I just the Android logo now, nothing else!

Help...any idea please?

Thanks in advance

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi,

I have followed the instructions right up to selecting the zip file r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip and clicking "Yes" but then partway through installing it fails and I get "E:failure at Line6symlink iwmulticall SYSTEM:bin/iwconfig Installation aborted"

Taking the battery out and switching on the phone I just the Android logo now, nothing else!

Help...any idea please?

Thanks in advance

The file you copied onto the SD card must have been damaged or the SD card is faulty. Just he the file back on there then re do step 3. obviously as the phones not booting you. may need to use a SD card reader

Guest aza-aaron

Hi StevenHarperUK,

Thanks for the response, I've re-downloaded the file in case it was corrupt and ran MD5Sun sand it's Okay.

Deleted the old /zip off the SC card

Copied the new .zip over using a card reader

clicked through to install zip

There's only one "Yes - install r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip" to select to install

Having clicked clicked Yes it begins the install then aborts again at the same place, line6

Bought another card in case it was the card, copied contents of original SD to new SD....and same happens!

Figured out why..divvy here hadn't renamed the file to mcri-system.tar.gz.zip !

Thanks!

Edited by aza-aaron

Guest StevenHarperUK

UPDATE : added Froyo ROM

ITS AN ALPHA

Its very good, but still I wouldn't start with this ROM, try a stable one for a few days / week, then have a pop at Alphas if you feel the need.

Guest ritterkeks

also beeing an android noob, I like your tutorial, its easy but also covers typical problem sources.

however, when trying to understand how to flash mcrR4 a few days ago BEFORE your nice tut. I did not unterstand, why rooting the rom prior to flashing is necessary?

I think Step1 is optional. Since you are going to flash a new rom anyway in step3, and in case of pauls r4, it is already rooted when you install it.

If not you can still use androot or superboot... BUT i don't think it is necessary.

and btw

BIG THANKS for providing the wifi tethering hint with barnacle!

have been desperate for a working tethering solution, since all others (including wired tethering which i would prever..) wont work with the current kernel. but this is working! great!

I have had the same problem and try to find a way to get round it. I copied the r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip that i downloaded

i then went to install the custom rom, it got partway through then said it could not complete.

now i am left with a phone that just comes up with the android logo, i can still get to the modaco menu screen. but cant seem to be able to try and install it again. comes up with a few errors about mounting the sd card

ANY HELP

Guest StevenHarperUK
also beeing an android noob, I like your tutorial, its easy but also covers typical problem sources.

however, when trying to understand how to flash mcrR4 a few days ago BEFORE your nice tut. I did not unterstand, why rooting the rom prior to flashing is necessary?

I think Step1 is optional. Since you are going to flash a new rom anyway in step3, and in case of pauls r4, it is already rooted when you install it.

If not you can still use androot or superboot... BUT i don't think it is necessary.

and btw

BIG THANKS for providing the wifi tethering hint with barnacle!

have been desperate for a working tethering solution, since all others (including wired tethering which i would prever..) wont work with the current kernel. but this is working! great!

Installing ClockworkMod guide has it as a requirement - so I kept it.

Paul made the tool, so I bow to his reasoning.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest ritterkeks

well if it's not necessary it still wont do any harm, i guess.

@eddyuk:

as mentioned in the thread of r4, I had problems with my 16gb SDcard.

so try another one or format it

Guest BackedOut_

I get stuck pretty much from the start.

To Root the device it says to:

"Extract fastboot on your Desktop" - Okay, done!

Then "Move the boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img file into the fastboot directory on your Desktop" - This is where I get stuck. Does it mean, simply drag and drop the file into the fastboot folder? Because if so, it still doesn't work for me. As when I try and run the command it can't find it!

Here's a video showing what I'm trying to do.

Please help someone! This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Guest LouisUK
I get stuck pretty much from the start.

To Root the device it says to:

"Extract fastboot on your Desktop" - Okay, done!

Then "Move the boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img file into the fastboot directory on your Desktop" - This is where I get stuck. Does it mean, simply drag and drop the file into the fastboot folder? Because if so, it still doesn't work for me. As when I try and run the command it can't find it!

Here's a video showing what I'm trying to do.

Please help someone! This is driving me crazy. Thanks.

What you need to do (this is how did it) is create a folder on your desktop called "blade". Extract the contents of fastboot into that folder. Move/Copy boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img into it. Then using a CMD/Terminal navigated to the folder "blade" and then carry on following the steps in the guide.

Hope that makes sense.

Guest BackedOut_
What you need to do (this is how did it) is create a folder on your desktop called "blade". Extract the contents of fastboot into that folder. Move/Copy boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img into it. Then using a CMD/Terminal navigated to the folder "blade" and then carry on following the steps in the guide.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you for replying Louis. But I'm not sure what you mean by navigate to the folder "blade".

I really have no idea why I'm having such a hard time doing this. Grr

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thank you for replying Louis. But I'm not sure what you mean by navigate to the folder "blade".

I really have no idea why I'm having such a hard time doing this. Grr

Ok :

Your on windows :

Move the Fastboot.zip onto c:\

then right click on it and extract all

There will be a new directory called fastboot

Open a command window, run these commands

c:
cd c:\fastboot[/code]

Now you can copy any files (the other .zips) and run the other commands from here

BTW: android market is down - so don;t think anything is wrong if you cant download from the market (see this post http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...th-the-market/)

Edited by StevenHarperUK