Got mine today, will start sharing experience

Guest Batkoto

Guest Batkoto

Ok, so got my hands on a nice LG Optimus 7 today.

First impression by WP7 was bit dissapointment, but once you setup your live.com account and the phone comes alive. UI is tottaly diffefrom what we have seen, gaming experience is to come soon. Browsing is not that good.

More to come

Edited by Batkoto

Guest awarner

More details and pictures when you have time please :)

As your device list only mentions Android hope you are not going to be too biased? :)

Got to say LG is thrid on my list for manufacturers and with all the HTC varients slips further down the overall list for me, but your review could change that depending on screen, speed and included apps etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mange Eriksson

Hi Batkoto

Do you know if there are any builtin device encryption in the phone, for encrypting device and memory card? I don´t like to use third part software for that.

Guest Batkoto
Hi Batkoto

Do you know if there are any builtin device encryption in the phone, for encrypting device and memory card? I don´t like to use third part software for that.

No built in and no SD card support for this device

I am not sure if there is anything even in Marketplace at this moment....

:P

Guest Mange Eriksson
No built in and no SD card support for this device

I am not sure if there is anything even in Marketplace at this moment....

:P

Thanks for the quick answer. I really hoped it where implemented in Windows 7 phone since iPhone has it.

got mine as well, totally disappointed by the first impression.

I knew about mac sync issue, but I think that the phone is just good looking.

there's not that much behind the animations...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Philip Colmer
Hi Batkoto

I'm not sure I have correctly understood your question, but my understanding of Windows Phone 7 is that any built-in memory, including optional memory cards, is encrypted.

Furthermore, if the device has swappable memory card capability, you will need to perform a hard reset after swapping cards. This is because the phone uses memory cards as part of a single filing system with the built-in memory. The user doesn't have the ability to specify whether to use built-in or memory card for storage.

Hope that helps.

--Philip

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mange Eriksson
I'm not sure I have correctly understood your question, but my understanding of Windows Phone 7 is that any built-in memory, including optional memory cards, is encrypted.

Furthermore, if the device has swappable memory card capability, you will need to perform a hard reset after swapping cards. This is because the phone uses memory cards as part of a single filing system with the built-in memory. The user doesn't have the ability to specify whether to use built-in or memory card for storage.

Hope that helps.

--Philip

B) Exactly what I was looking for, I have tried to find info about it but not succeeded, do you have a link to the info or similar?

Edited by Mange Eriksson

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ender Psp

Well, I've had my LG Optimus 7 for 3 weeks already. I also have friends with HD7 and Omnia 7.

The device is certainly responsive and the OS is well done. I like it overall, so far. Initially I wanted to go for Omnia 7 (I already have an Omnia 2) but the wait for it was too long.

I don't regret it, but here are some thoughts:

Screen is not the best, the best screen is on Omnia 7. The hard buttons might be useful, but in the same time some people might hate them.

So, here's my take, comparing my LG Optimus 7 to the other 2 devices: HTC HD7 and Samsung Omnia 7

Bulid quality: Optimus7 > Omnia7 > HD7

OS responsive: Optimus7 = Omnia7 = HD7

Screen: Omnia7 > Optimus7 > HD7

Screen size: HD7 > Omnia7 > Optimus7

Camera: Omnia7 > Optimus7 > HD7

Battery life: Optimus7 > Omnia7 > HD7

Price: Omnia7 = HD7 > Optimus7

Recommended 1st WP7 phone: Omnia7 (overall the best device).

Now onto my LG: battery life is like this:

Drain during the night < 5%

Normal usage (10-15 min calls) cca 1 hour play, regular checks on marketplace (wireless on for a while), the battery holds about 3 days.

Good usage: 2-3 hours play, and a lot of wireless, the phone holds upto 36 hours

Heavy usage: 3-4 hours play, wireless on, mail sync, the phone holds upto 16 hours

I personally keep it on low brightness. Camera is ok, but not stellar. For casual shooters works just fine.

Let me know if you need anything specific tested.

Guest awarner

Interesting you show the build quality on the Optimus7 as the best, normally LG do not have the best name in build quality.

Samsung would normally get my vote but there are complaints about the case being too shiny and feel slippery.

Guest Ender Psp
Interesting you show the build quality on the Optimus7 as the best, normally LG do not have the best name in build quality.

Samsung would normally get my vote but there are complaints about the case being too shiny and feel slippery.

Bingo :P

That's the only reason I've put it Optimus 7 in front of Omnia 7. LG Feels just right in your hand and no matter how you squeeze it, turn it, press it, it doesn't make any sound. The grip is just the best.

I've managed to make Omnia 7 creak fairly easy and that's not a good sign. As for the plastic body on HD7, I don't even wanna talk about that :D

Samsung's quality let me down on my Omnia 2 where dust came in UNDER the touch screen!

FYI: I was as objective as I could when I tested all 3, though. But that's my personal opinion, after all :D

Edited by Ender Psp

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akira.pwr

I'd like to know if there is a possibility to put android os, is there any news about it? There are possibility to made roms like sense or anything else running in it?

I'd like to try WM7, but I'd like more to play with some hack.

Guest awarner

Why try to ruin a phone by putting Android on it?

As for Sense the tile they put on the HTC models never gets used, I do not know a single person who actually uses it and most have deleted it.

Sense is old news when talking about WP7 it's clunkyness has certainly had its day.

Guest akira.pwr
Why try to ruin a phone by putting Android on it?

As for Sense the tile they put on the HTC models never gets used, I do not know a single person who actually uses it and most have deleted it.

Sense is old news when talking about WP7 it's clunkyness has certainly had its day.

It's funny to have more OS on a device, Android is good and sense it's not bad, yes, maybe it's a bit old, but good.

I love to play this way with phones, if I can do it with LG, I'll buy for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hartcare

Bought the Optimus 7 about 2 months back in Singapore. Boy I love the feel of this phone & the OS. WP7 is so much more refined compared to Froyo.

However....I'm probably the first to encounter & report a major issue with this phone. Barely 3 weeks into it’s ownership, the phone suddenly stopped responding while on standby. The screen would not respond to touch at all. All the hardware buttons could function but not the touch screen. The phone was stuck at the lock screen & I couldn't get into the menu.

Upon rebooting, I was not able to input the sim card pin. Pressing the center windows button brings me to the lock screen again... Holding the Windows button launches the voice recognition software but was unable to recognised voice input. The voice instruction from the phone was also intermittent / sounded choppy.

So had no choice but to send the phone to the service center hopping they could find some way of resetting the phone & bringing it back to life. Well my greatest fear came true. It's coming to 3 weeks now & the phone is still under service. Apparently, the SC is waiting for a new motherboard to arrive & the Christmas holiday is causing the delay. I could not get a definitive answer from the SC as to the cause of the failure.

Imaging the embarrassment during Chirstmas when friends asked about my WP7 phone & I couldn’t help but to agree not to buy another LG phone. Perhaps it’s my bad luck but having failed IC/chips on the Mobo this new speaks very much on the quality of components used.

:(

• 4 months later...
Guest awarner

My Optimus arrived today and I'm impress witht he screen and build quality/feel.

I do find the screen is not as responsive as my HD7 and some presses while appear to move the icon/text nothing then actually happens, it's almost as if the screen is not calibrated properly as you had to do with the old resistive touch screens.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andymac1969

Got mine today £195 from Handtec, absolute bargain, same sort of power as a HTC Desire HD, but half the money, WIndows 7 takes some getting used to, but the big difference between Android and Windows 7, is Windows 7 has not crashed or force closed once, early days, but I am Optimistic about my Optimus, PS It's built like a tank, fantastic build quality.

Guest awarner

My HD7 used to do a self reboot once in a while but it's rare for an app to crash (unless poorly written) but I've never had to reboot either of my phones.

There was a Market Place bug but that was sorted a long time ago but again that was down to MArket Place and not the phone.

The LG certainly does feel solid.