Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Matrix Mike
it's only when we ask you to photograph the units, review them and sell them onto us you might be in breach :)

Not if we all buy one as a result :)

Guest SilentMobius
dont mind helping out and cant see that im in breach of my contract as i would tell any of this to a customer in my shop, just using the 21st century technology to help those not in my shop.

Any easy way for us mortals to find out which stores are "WNR" There's a high street and larger store near Reading, I know the high street store had the iPad before the larger one. They still think they're getting stock on Friday

Look what I found, another rebrand of the Vega, Point of View Mobii Tegra tablet:

http://www.pointofview-online.com/showroom...;product_id=188

no different specs, but the battery is specified as 3300mAh

There is a quick demo on Youtube of the Point of View Mobii 10" Tablet, which, as pointed out by k jules, should be almost identical to the Advent Vega (aside from the launcher).

Looks like the screen hasn't the best viewing angles (shown by the flying game at the end). But that was expected, the price difference to a Galaxy Tab/iPad has to come from somewhere and the Archos 101 (same price range) has a similar viewing angle. It looks like the display is a part where you can cut the costs pretty easily. I'm curious about how the display performs when you really hold it in your hands and use it though.

They run the Quadrant Benchmark and it scores ~1500.

Guest SilentMobius

Yeah, the screen look a little ropey there. But I think a lot of that was poor angle/lighting/camera. Still, I'll have to see it in person.

Anyone notice how poorly the media player scaled? Everything in the top left of the screen? I'm not that worried, as there are plenty of replacements but still, you'd think if they went to the trouble of writing a launcher they'd have at least modified the media player.

Lets hope it's rootable. I can see myself having a lot of fun getting this set up _just_ right.

Guest Carbonize
I'm not that worried, as there are plenty of replacements

Yes but with no Market on the device it's going to be tricky putting apps on it.

Ignore that, I didn't watch the video fully so didn't see that it comes with AndroidPit although why go with some third party option instead of the official one unless Google stopped them.

Edited by Carbonize

Guest shutdown

think it's something to do with google not allowing market on 10" devices or something.

i thought it was coming with AppLib instead.

doesn't really matter that much, as long as I can get the apk for the apps i want i'm not too worried for now. Get it rooted and updated and all will be rosey

Guest SilentMobius
[... why go with some third party option instead of the official one unless Google stopped them.

Most likely because they didn't seek Google approval because they knew they wouldn't get it... at the moment.

For me the apps aren't a problem, I'll just buy them on my N1 and sideload onto the Vega. Hell, if that usb port is indeed host-enabled I can just plug my N1 straight in and share the sdcard and all my backups.

I wonder what the fancier home apps will look like (SlideScreen/Sweeter Home)

Looking forward to trying Reckless Racing, hell I might put that on a usb stick and test it on the in-store demo (and remove it afterwards of course).

Oh... I should put on the multi-touch test app as well I guess, to be sure.

Guest danielj58
Currently not available online

just popped over staples corner PC WORLD and they have stock! will check out brent cross.

also :)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtWxTGevO8?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtWxTGevO8?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtWxTGevO8?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

They have them in stock? As in to pre-order or...? *gets excited*

Guest SilentMobius

just popped over staples corner PC WORLD and they have stock! will check out brent cross.

>

Just phoned PC world sales to ask and they say no stock till the 18th. They may have demo units but won't have stock. I'm prepared to be proved wrong but I'm not going to take tomorrow off and run down there just yet.

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest mamoulian
Just phoned PC world sales to ask and they say no stock till the 18th. They may have demo units but won't have stock. I'm prepared to be proved wrong but I'm not going to take tomorrow off and run down there just yet.

I also just phoned... and they said there's none at my local stores... nor at the Staples Corner PC World!

So, who do we believe!? ;-)

Might stop off at a couple of the big stores on my way home...

Guest Shuflie

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtWxTGevO8?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtWxTGevO8?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtWxTGevO8?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That's nice but why did you repost the video from earlier?

Guest kingmob

I popped into the new store in Southgate, Bath and they've made space for four android tablets next to the Sony e-readers.

The Samsung space was priced but the other three weren't, and there was a small poster advertising the vega.

The guy I spoke to said they had the Samsungs in stock, and that the other three would be in during the week.

Guest Bisto321

Saw this just before leaving work tonight and as I drive past Staples corner on my way home, I thought I would pop in.

You naughty little El Nino9 :) , you were lying!(as if we had not already guessed)

Anyhoo, got to play with the samsung TAB, nice, but barge pole touching springs to mind - way too small and way too pricey!

PC world and Curry's superstore thing at this park - staff did not know when they were getting stock.

The wait continues.

El Nino9 - you are a massive tool(quite funny though)

Guest Bisto321
Anyone seen the folio 100 in store yet?

Nope. They did not have that either. Went down tottenham court road today in my lunch hour, it really is a bit naff now! and none of the Toshiba partners had one. I think our inside man mentioned that they dixons have a 21 day exclusive on them - so they will see them first. El Ninio9 has one :)

If I don't get and Android tablet(a good one!) by the end of this week I will stamp and cry in a puddle of my own wee!

Is that too much?

i can be sure that as of today no stores have the vega in, i had searched about 90% of the UK stores via main hubs so nothing yet, not quite sure why the folio hasn't made an appearance yet and yes Dixons retail (Currys and PCworld) do have a 21 day exclusive launch on this. i will keep an eye on the many different models guys during my working day and update during my lunch if i do find anything of worth. and so far the galaxy tab does seem to be the only one in the open. Stores that are getting stock should be prepping a few metre bay for the sony e-readers and also the abundance of tablets flooding into the market.

Guest Bobbler

Looking like it's going to be a good Christmas for tablets then :)

Plenty of choice, some good units and more importantly available on the high street rather than via China import companies

Guest SilentMobius

Galaxy tab is now up on pcworld.co.uk I wonder if this is about last min software corrections as the sales line is saying or if it's just the same Tegra2 shortages we keep hearing about. I wonder If DSGI are being strung along by the OEM. Tegra2 code is still being checked into AOSP, perhaps the OEM thought it was "stable enough" but DSGI disagreed, after all they have to handle support and return.

One thing that worries me a bit: ComputerActive did a preview with a non-production unit, I tweeted the author asking if it did bluetooth HID, he said there was no bluetooth...

All the specs we've seen from the OEM suggested bluetooth 2.1+EDR. The makeshift Ad on pcworld's site also doesn't mention bluetooth.

@Kevrae: you've seen the promo materials right? Is there any mention of bluetooth in there?

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest JokerNJ

No word on the Vega but I had a play with a Samsung Tab earlier today (in Tesco of all places). Looks and feels lovely, the screen response is close to the ipad.

£529 though is just way too high a price.