MMS Pictures

Guest lovelldr

Guest lovelldr

Hi guys...

Have noticed that since I've had this phone, when I try to send a picture with mms, it gets resized to a really small picture. It ends up being only 10k or less, and when you view it at full screen, it's really blocky... The same happens for pictures I receive too. When I used to have my TP2, I had to edit some settings on there, to fool the network in to thinking it was a different phone, because it couldn't handle the pictures, and they ended up coming in really small, kind of like this... However, this was only on receiving pictures. When I sent pictures, they went through to the recipient at full size...

Is there anything I can do to get the mms to send and receive bigger?!

Also, when adding pictures to mms messages, I can only get it to add 1 photo. If I try to add more, it replaces the current picture in there... Is there any way to get new slides in the mms with this phone?!

Tried searching, but all I could find were settings for apn etc...

Many thanks in advance :)

Guest lovelldr

Dunno whether this is a case of no-one answering because everyone is getting the same problem, or no-one answering, because theirs works fine, and don't want to tell me :P...

Come on. It's really annoying. My sis sent me a picture of my niece this afternoon, and the pictures are so crap, I can't see a thing... What's the point of having mms if this is what we get?!

Am I really the only one who is fed up of this?! Or is everyone else who has an o2 sim (and possibly others) getting the same problem?! Looking around on the net, I heard of people with a hero having same problem, so there must be something out there to solve this?!

Guest Simon O

Well I've never ever used MMS and I see absolutely no need for it on a modern smart phone when you can just as easily email a picture. But the small image is a problem with many Android devices.

Guest lovelldr
Well I've never ever used MMS and I see absolutely no need for it on a modern smart phone when you can just as easily email a picture. But the small image is a problem with many Android devices.

There is a big need for it when you're with family members who want to have the pictures on their phones, but don't have a phone capable of email, or are competent enough to use email on the phone. So, other family members send all messages by mms, and you yourself have to send by mms also...

As said, I think that it's a problem with the android phones being ignored by the provider, and need to be tricked in to thinking they are another device that the provider are capable to handle... Would something like this be possible to test on android?! Will be able to do testing for anyone able to help :P

Guest lovelldr
Cyanogenmod messaging app actually has a feature to spoof phone type. Shame cyanogenmod hasn't been ported over yet.

Sounds interesting...

This is my first android phone, so still a n00b in that respect :D But, would be great if someone could at least put that feature in to this phone :P

Guest GraviticVortex

To be honest i havnt used MMS in years either.

I have tried to use MMS in past on Windows Mobile 5/6 phones and on Nokia Symbian phones and have always considered it useless for 2 reasons:

1. Picture size has always been too small. On all phones i have tried it on MMS picture size have always been limited to the point that its uttery useless.

Havnt used it in past couple years on newer phones so i dont really know if that is improved.

2. Sending/recieving MMS has always been painfully slow, at least here in our sad corner of Europe.

Perhaps now in 3G networks is faster too, again hant really tried recently.

Edited by GraviticVortex

Guest Frankish
Sounds interesting...

This is my first android phone, so still a n00b in that respect :D But, would be great if someone could at least put that feature in to this phone :P

The best you can hope for is a port of Cyanogenmod rom to the San Fran. Have you tested MMS on an Orange sim or anything else in your device. I'm pretty sure it's an O2 specific problem. It wasn't fixed on the Desire until the device was actually released on O2. No chance of San Fran being released on O2 so best option really is spoofing device.

Guest feckineejit

I'm on o2 and it would be great if there was a fix for this as i have my 3 year old daughter living in London and i live in Ireland, (unfortunately) :P her mother sends me mms pics of her every now and then and when they come through on sf, their s**t looking and not worth saving. :D

I'm on Seb's r4 deoranged rom

Edited by feckineejit

Guest Frankish

Can some user adb pull mms.apk from their device for me please? I may be able to modify it to permanently spoof the UA string to an N95 which chould solve your problems. Are you also on O2 feckineejit?

If i do this it will be tomorrow the missus says it's bed time LOL!

Guest lovelldr
Can some user adb pull mms.apk from their device for me please? I may be able to modify it to permanently spoof the UA string to an N95 which chould solve your problems. Are you also on O2 feckineejit?

If no-one else has done this, I'll do it when I get to work (just about to leave now...).

Where abouts is it located?! In /system ???

Also, would this be ROM specific?! i.e., would users of Pauls R4 ROM have a different apk to users of the R3 rom, which would be different to users of Sebs 404 rom?! Or would this just be a stock apk?!

Edited by lovelldr

Guest lovelldr

OK, I got the Mms.apk file... Took a look through, and found that the max size of the pictures is limited ridiculously small... 640x480... Tried editing the file using hex editor to give it a size of 1024x768, but this caused the messages application to force close all the time...

Anyway, uploaded the mms.apk file here for you. If someone can edit it to give the correct spoofing for mms, and also change the file size so that it gives something reasonable?! The max message size is set to 307200, so that's perfectly fine, it's just the spoofing and the size that could do with looking at :P

Mms.zip

Edited by lovelldr

Guest feckineejit

Yes i'm on o2 as well Frankish

Guest zuccster
Anyone manage to create a workable mms.apk?

Is this of any help? The UAProf needs to be changed to something that the carriers mmsc recognizes, otherwise you get a crappy default scaled down image.

Edited by zuccster

Guest lovelldr

Cheers, that seems to have done the trick (at least when sending to myself)...

One thing that kind of worried me a little, is that the size of the original mms file I had was about double the size of this?! I suppose it could just be that this has been compressed already, whereas the original hasn't been compressed?!

Another confusing thing, is that just before it says it's downloading the mms, it says that the file size is 25kb. This is what it's always said... However, the picture itself is of a better quality?!

Maybe Paul/Seb/anyone else could include this in their next rom if they would like?! :P

Edited by lovelldr

Guest feckineejit

Hello lovelldr how do i get this to work on the phone? do i just download the Mms.apk file from zuccster post and put it onto sd card. If so what do i need to do after that?

Guest Frankish

Really sorry i was so slow on this i've been nusy with work. Guess someone saved me the trouble though by posting an mms.apk with the setting in already :P

Guest lovelldr
Really sorry i was so slow on this i've been nusy with work. Guess someone saved me the trouble though by posting an mms.apk with the setting in already :D

Don't worry mate. Would be interested to know how you would've edited it though? Would it have been a hex edit?! Since, as far as I can tell, that is the only way unless you have a dev area for it, in which case, you would just have re-made the mms (in much the same way as the mod posted in this thread was done)...

Also, doesn't have the setting in already, has an option to allow you to choose which phone you'd like to spoof, pretty much like the cyanogen mod from what you'd mentioned... Allows you to choose vibrate mode (long, etc, but not sure that works, as doesn't seem to have changed what I tried), led colour (doesn't seem to have made a change though?!), etc... Options it gave me to spoof to were quite a few, including N95, iphone 3 and loads more :P

Edited by lovelldr

Guest lovelldr
Hello lovelldr how do i get this to work on the phone? do i just download the Mms.apk file from zuccster post and put it onto sd card. If so what do i need to do after that?

You need to connect the phone to the pc by usb, enabling debug mode for the phone. Then, usb adb with the following commands (assuming Mms.apk is in the same directory as adb):

adb start-server

adb remount

adb push Mms.apk /system/app/Mms.apk

adb kill-server

Then, you can unmount the usb...

If you have the icon on the background for messaging, it will disappear... You need to add the icon back on :P

Guest lovelldr

Having a bit of a problem with the seb 404 rom at the mo though, in that everytime the phone starts up, the settings have been lost... Anyone any ideas why that might be?

Edited by lovelldr

Guest lovelldr
Having a bit of a problem with the seb 404 rom at the mo though, in that everytime the phone starts up, the settings have been lost... Anyone any ideas why that might be?

OK, scrap that...

In seb's rom, he had a com.android.mms.apk as well as the Mms.apk I had uploaded to the phone... That was the problem. Removed his com.android.mms and the one I uploaded works fine now :)