Mozart - initial impressions..

Guest PaulF

OK, so I've had my Mozart for a couple of days now.....

Mostly I love it - I have to confess to being generally unimpressed with 'iTunes' and 'iPhone' type interfaces - and no matter what you say the WP7 stuff is similar - but I'm getting used to it.

Phone is nice to hold, great screen, touch is mostly very responsive.

Major Issues:

The USB jack is not a 'standard' mini USB - so I need to get new chargers etc (why can't they just keep to a standard size?)

No custom ringtones! I know this may not be critical to many people, but I like my Star Wars ringtone - it's how I know it's my phone that's ringing and I've been using it for years (since my first SPV!). What happened to 'Always Delightful and Wonderfully Yours' ?? - Yes I love the way you can customise the home screen (live tiles) - but I want my ring tone back! I'm hoping this will come in a future update....

Minor Issues:

I've had some instances of the screen not being as responsive as I'd expect - but that's partly me getting used to the interface. I have noticed a lack of consistency in some places - some onscreen buttons are clearly buttons, but others are just text. I do tend to find myself tapping on words to see if they do anything; it's not always obvious.

The standard phone icons (battery, signal strength etc) automatically hide and you have to tap the top of the screen to see them. I work in a crap reception area so I need to keep tabs on signal strength, so I'd rather have the icons on display.

I've started downloading a few free apps - had one that wouldnt work (the Messenger app), and one that said it wasn't compatible with my device (which was funny as it was an HTC app I was trying!). But others have downloaded fine with no issues.

Overall I'm pleased - it's early days, and I haven't really started scratching the surface yet, but it's a damn good phone and a damn good operating system.

Anyone else got any thoughts yet?

Guest VulakAerr

A couple of things:

1) I have a Mozart too. Unfortunately, I believe micro-USB rather than mini-USB has been decided by most OEMs as the standard. So yes, we who have used most previous HTC devices (or even Blackberries up until about a year ago) need to change from mini to micro adapters. Annoying, but hopefully we're set now.

2) The lack of customisable ringtone is a huge annoyance for me, too. I hope this is something that's changed in the first update.

It's odd that the messenger app doesn't work for you. It's alright for me. I had the same issue with that flashlight app from HTC though. Seems bizarre.

Overall, I'm loving the phone. Can't wait to see more games arrive for it, but in the meantime, I'm having fun, even if getting used to a soft keyboard is still slightly out of my grasp.

It's odd that the messenger app doesn't work for you. It's alright for me. I had the same issue with that flashlight app from HTC though. Seems bizarre.

Messenger seems to work OK now I've reinstalled it.

Aparently the flashlight issue is to do with the Xenon flash - apparently they make great flashes but awful torches.... Not sure why....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest feelmychi
Messenger seems to work OK now I've reinstalled it.

Aparently the flashlight issue is to do with the Xenon flash - apparently they make great flashes but awful torches.... Not sure why....

It's the technology that's the problem - Xenon flashes are only designed to flash for a very small period of time, otherwise they just break :rolleyes:

I'll hopefully be getting my Mozart tomorrow! :huh:

• 6 months later...
Guest trishmac

I had a wee play with the Mozart today. Windows phone had a stand in a shopping centre in Glasgow demonstrating their OS. It's good to see them finally plugging the strengths of WP7 and explaining the nice additions that the Mango update will bring. It really looks impressive..and nice and smooth. I think I'll still wait for Nokia tho and see what little gems they bring to their handsets, but seeing the OS in action allays any fears I had of switching from android. :P