28/Oct r4b gforums Custom Rom FroYo for ZTE blade (Alpha!)

Guest gforums

for me everything works just fine..youtube was not working so i delete it and install new one and its working with that green line above every video, but i dont like the icon that are in this version its not default icons..newy..there r few other application which are working partially like audioanywhere..i used this to listen BBC documenty podcast it used to work very nicely in 2.1(update)..but in 2.2 it runs but it dont play podcast at all??..idk why its happening..and same goes to other audio podcast player

Edited by factro

Guest gforums
Anyone know the name of the news application in this rom? would love it on 2.1 but cant figure out which application itis in /system/app

think you mean "geniewidget" which is googles news/weather app!

Guest spicysomtam

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has worked on this 2.2 Alpha rom and 2.2 issues in general. Really appreciate the effort.

Just some feedback from me. I downloaded and installed the version from post #1. Most of the issues reported are fixed in this release; I suspect the zip has been updated. Only issues I encountered:

• YouTube didn't work. Removed and downloaded from Market. Now have HD youtube :rolleyes:
  • Acrobat Reader didn't work. Removed this and have not reinstalled yet. Will wait until I need to read a pdf.
  • Su access seemed to work straight off. No problems with Titanium backup registering itself as a su app. I changed permissions on su via adb just in case.
  • GPS works fine.
  • Dialer issue using battery in the battery usage menu. However, is it really using battery since battery performance seems fine?
  • Wifi still has some problems, but seems slightly different to 2.1 roms. Seems to have more problems maintaining a connection/poor signal. However the wifi dropping due to screen sleep seems less of a problem (which was really bugging me; waiting for the wifi to reconnect). Blade wifi fix from the market helps.
  • Minor issue: web browser home page goes to a Chinese site (why?). Might be worth pointing this at google.com when someone has a spare moment. I was worried it might be collecting stats from me, etc, but since I just reflashed the phone, there is nothing to steal from me apart from the gmail signon!
  • I followed advice on signing into gtalk/gmail/market using a mobile connection, then switched to wifi. No probs with this.
  • No one has mentioned this: camera and video apps seem much better. Also many more settings to play with to get best picture/video.

Conclusion: a pretty painless upgrade to Froyo and worth the effort. If you want Andriod 2.2 I highly recommend this rom!!! I also think you are not far off from a proper release.

Also maybe this topic should be pinned now?

Edited by spicysomtam

I would just like to say thanks to everyone who has worked on this 2.2 Alpha rom and 2.2 issues in general. Really appreciate the effort.

Just some feedback from me. I downloaded and installed the version from post #1. Most of the issues reported are fixed in this release; I suspect the zip has been updated. Only issues I encountered:

• YouTube didn't work. Removed and downloaded from Market. Now have HD youtube :rolleyes:
  • Acrobat Reader didn't work. Removed this and have not reinstalled yet. Will wait until I need to read a pdf.
  • Su access seemed to work straight off. No problems with Titanium backup registering itself as a su app. I changed permissions on su via adb just in case.
  • GPS works fine.
  • Dialer issue using battery in the battery usage menu. However, is it really using battery since battery performance seems fine?
  • Wifi still has some problems, but seems slightly different to 2.1 roms. Seems to have more problems maintaining a connection/poor signal. However the wifi dropping due to screen sleep seems less of a problem (which was really bugging me; waiting for the wifi to reconnect). Blade wifi fix from the market helps.
  • Minor issue: web browser home page goes to a Chinese site (why?). Might be worth pointing this at google.com when someone has a spare moment. I was worried it might be collecting stats from me, etc, but since I just reflashed the phone, there is nothing to steal from me apart from the gmail signon!
  • I followed advice on signing into gtalk/gmail/market using a mobile connection, then switched to wifi. No probs with this.
  • No one has mentioned this: camera and video apps seem much better. Also many more settings to play with to get best picture/video.

Conclusion: a pretty painless upgrade to Froyo and worth the effort. If you want Andriod 2.2 I highly recommend this rom!!! I also think you are not far off from a proper release.

Also maybe this topic should be pinned now?

I second what spicysomtam has said about this 2.2 update. I have been using it for over 2 weeks now and its working just great. Also thanks to nicksoph for posting the fixes.

Guest Totyasrác

Hi there!

Just installed this on my SanFran - first impressions: awesome!!! Cheers for all that made this available for my phone.

I'll do some search if there's an answer but I only found one issue: APNs can not be edited.

(I have to set MMS auth type to PAP but there's just no way I could edit any APNs... T-Mobile Hungary)

Edit: nothing about this in this topic. Anyone could tell me how I have to edit the appropriate xml please?

(Actually how should I edit the line belonging to T-Mo HU MMS APN)

Edited by Totyasrác

Guest misterLjay
Hi there!

Just installed this on my SanFran - first impressions: awesome!!! Cheers for all that made this available for my phone.

I'll do some search if there's an answer but I only found one issue: APNs can not be edited.

(I have to set MMS auth type to PAP but there's just no way I could edit any APNs... T-Mobile Hungary)

Edit: nothing about this in this topic. Anyone could tell me how I have to edit the appropriate xml please?

(Actually how should I edit the line belonging to T-Mo HU MMS APN)

Download APN Backup & Restore from the market. Using the app delete the APNs and then you can enter the required APN settings for MMS and GPRS. Then back them up using the app (backs up to the sd card)

Guest finbaar
for me everything works just fine..youtube was not working so i delete it and install new one and its working with that green line above every video, but i dont like the icon that are in this version its not default icons..newy..there r few other application which are working partially like audioanywhere..i used this to listen BBC documenty podcast it used to work very nicely in 2.1(update)..but in 2.2 it runs but it dont play podcast at all??..idk why its happening..and same goes to other audio podcast player

Podcasts are a deal breaker for me. If they can be made to work with this Rom then I will give it a go. Anyone got any ideas?

Podcasts are a deal breaker for me. If they can be made to work with this Rom then I will give it a go. Anyone got any ideas?

ya me too..but i got another solution..or work around for a while..i use a podcast apps like greader or doggcatcher and download my podcast and use poweramp to play it..but takes time :huh:..but there is another problem idk if ne1 notice this or not..but my phone goes automatic to slients after 11pm(idk exact time but at nite)..its good in some way not in other way like whn gf is callin u at nite..:rolleyes:..newy also whn i manually keep the phone in silent mode or vibration mode its keep changing after a while..and rings???..

Guest alasota

Stable ROM for me since I put it on. Usual fixes, but strangely kept having problems with Chomp SMS (freezing with white screen?) so moved to Handcent. Seems better so far.

This is my standard daily build and I like it a lot! Thanks for sorting it. I strongly recommend you give it a go!

Guest spicysomtam

I worked out what is causing the high battery usage on Dialer. This rom has this issue. If you kill the messages process, the Dialer battery usage drops. Actually drops quite quickly. So Dialer was 97% battery usage. A couple of minutes after killing messages, dropped down to 60%, with Andriod system battery usage increasing (what you would expect). Reason I found it is I googled for the issue, and came across a similar issue with the htc hero. With this issue they recommended you disable notifications within Messages. However this does not work with the Blade; guess its looping checking for new messages, but not as drastically as on the hero. Messages process actually needs to be terminated. I wonder if someone can look into updating the messages app to a later release from Froyo main release tree? Or temporarily disabling its startup and maybe use a messaging app from the market until someone can fix it?

If we can resolve this issue, then as far as I can see this seems to be the only MAJOR issue with this rom. Battery is much reduced compared to the 2.1 stock roms.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/1...t-lets-fix.html

Guest spicysomtam

Not sure if Messages is the whole story. Now its 75% Dialer and 25% Andriod. If I download Spare Parts, the Sensor battery usage mirrors the overall battery usage. Maybe the sensor code is not working correctly? Can it be disabled? Assume this is the light sensor for whether the phone is next to your face or not? Anyhow battery usage is much better now. I would need to go back to 2.1 to compare; maybe do a backup and restore my 2.1.

Guest chall32

So if dialer is the culprit, and Dialer comes from phone.apk, (correct me if I'm wrong here!) what happens if you replace phone.apk with a version from, say a Nexus One Froyo ROM?

Would that be Bad?

How about replacing the SanFran / Blade Froyo phone.apk with the stock Éclair / 2.1 version from Orange / ZTE source?

Just shooting the breeze here..... :rolleyes:

Guest igors_s
Not sure if Messages is the whole story. Now its 75% Dialer and 25% Andriod. If I download Spare Parts, the Sensor battery usage mirrors the overall battery usage. Maybe the sensor code is not working correctly? Can it be disabled? Assume this is the light sensor for whether the phone is next to your face or not? Anyhow battery usage is much better now. I would need to go back to 2.1 to compare; maybe do a backup and restore my 2.1.

I'm seeing the same. Spare parts reporting that dialer is almost constantly using the sensor, based on the uptime.

Btw, i have tried shutting down messages app but it did not make a difference for me.

Currently i'm comfortably getting a day's use out of the device with some browsing, gps and a couple of calls. it even lives through the night and half next day.

Partial wake lock is minimal for the dialer and android system. cpu usage is similar.

Only the sensor stats are weird.

could this be related to the 'light sensor issue' in froyo?

I worked out what is causing the high battery usage on Dialer. This rom has this issue. If you kill the messages process, the Dialer battery usage drops. Actually drops quite quickly. So Dialer was 97% battery usage. A couple of minutes after killing messages, dropped down to 60%, with Andriod system battery usage increasing (what you would expect). Reason I found it is I googled for the issue, and came across a similar issue with the htc hero. With this issue they recommended you disable notifications within Messages. However this does not work with the Blade; guess its looping checking for new messages, but not as drastically as on the hero. Messages process actually needs to be terminated. I wonder if someone can look into updating the messages app to a later release from Froyo main release tree? Or temporarily disabling its startup and maybe use a messaging app from the market until someone can fix it?

If we can resolve this issue, then as far as I can see this seems to be the only MAJOR issue with this rom. Battery is much reduced compared to the 2.1 stock roms.

http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/1...t-lets-fix.html

And what about the network(cell or wifi) location? Does it work now?

e.g.: in Maps or Latitude can it find your position without gps?

Can somebody confirm it works?

I think IT IS a major issue. No location based applications without it.

Guest igors_s
And what about the network(cell or wifi) location? Does it work now?

e.g.: in Maps or Latitude can it find your position without gps?

Can somebody confirm it works?

I think IT IS a major issue. No location based applications without it.

No, unfortunately that feature doesn't work at the moment.

Looks like we will have to wait for chinese release of 2.2 Froyo. Good news is that it should be soon! very soon.

No, unfortunately that feature doesn't work at the moment.

Looks like we will have to wait for chinese release of 2.2 Froyo. Good news is that it should be soon! very soon.

Is there any competent person who can take a look at it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=710

Can it be the solution for our problem too?

Or are we going to get an official froyo so soon that it doesn't worth working on this alpha release anymore?

Guest dansken86

I find this rom to be amazing and have been able to work around most of the known bugs... I'm still struggling with some minor ones like YouTube colour line, battery usage, and facebook not syncing. Nothing important really.

But something I haven't read about, maybe of even less importance, is an annoying box in the calendar, covering about 1cm of the calendar area. I'm just curious to know if anybody else has this? And in that case, well, if anybody has managed to get rid of it? Have tried to install other calendar versions from xda but the box just changes colour... not that helpful :rolleyes: I have a feeling that this is because I installed the galaxy s theme from another thread here at modaco.

Guest nedmundo1
I find this rom to be amazing and have been able to work around most of the known bugs... I'm still struggling with some minor ones like YouTube colour line, battery usage, and facebook not syncing. Nothing important really.

But something I haven't read about, maybe of even less importance, is an annoying box in the calendar, covering about 1cm of the calendar area. I'm just curious to know if anybody else has this? And in that case, well, if anybody has managed to get rid of it? Have tried to install other calendar versions from xda but the box just changes colour... not that helpful :rolleyes: I have a feeling that this is because I installed the galaxy s theme from another thread here at modaco.

I must say - well done to all chaps involved. I managed to make a simple, well explained procedure far more tricky than it needed to be, but I got there in the end.

My question is- is it possible to get rid of the Google Ads that keep interfering with my very smoothly running game of Angry Birds and other Apps?

BTW - I have installed the Easy Answer App and my dialer doesn't seem to be taking up any battery power - coincidence?

Edited by nedmundo1

Guest MIKEYMC

Download an app called adfree and should get rid of ads in nearly everything :rolleyes:

BTW I installed adialer and maybe thats why mine doesn't show up in battery stats now.

Edited by MIKEYMC

Guest nedmundo1
Download an app called adfree and should get rid of ads in nearly everything :rolleyes:

BTW I installed adialer and maybe thats why mine doesn't show up in battery stats now.

Thanks Mikey MC.

Are there any superflous Apps apart from the obvious ones which we can get shot of- e.g Google ones?

Guest socialworker

I have the same issue and also think it's quite annoying.

Was using Steves 2.2 Alpha before, that didn't have that issue.

I guess it's because gforums ROM uses the 2.1 calendar, the 2.2 calendar in Steves ROM crashed after restarting.

This had to be fixed by disabling and enabling calendar sync in the account settings after every reboot.

I actually preferred it :-)

Guest spicysomtam

Tried adialer. It doesn't fit the screen properly. Also doesn't seem to replace the main Dialer, which is com.andriod.phone. I think adialer (and alot of the others) are just a 'skin' over the standard dialer. These just create a new GUI into the main dialer app.

The really odd thing is that if you check the amount of cpu com.andriod.phone has used its almost nothing (7s after booting for 10 mins or so). This is much more than Andriod os. However, it could be executing in system code, which would not show up on the process, which only shows user execution. If you know anything about UNIX/Linux you would understand what I mean.

I think I need to learn alot more about how Andiod works, dialer, etc. I am a UNIX/Linux sysadmin, so can't be that hard. My latest project!