Nexus One reboots every few minutes

Guest Philip Berne

Guest Philip Berne

Hi everyone,

I cracked the screen on my N1 and just received my new (refurb) replacement unit. My older N1 was unlocked, running Paul's Desire ROM. I unlocked my new unit, flashed the amon-RA recovery, and tried to restore my nandroid backup. The nandroid backup gave me an error. After trying a few things, I decided to give up and start from scratch.

I loaded the r24 Desire ROM, then Cyanogen 6.1.0, then a stock N1 ROM I baked in the kitchen here at MoDaCo, and with each ROM I had the same problem. After a random, usually brief interval, the phone would restart itself. I get the X screen with the unlock icon, then whatever boot screen is loaded, then the phone is active again. There's no repeated pattern to this; there's no specific action I'm taking that causes the phone to reboot. The problem seems to be worse with the stock ROM I tried to load. I can't even get past the initial Google Account setup pages before the phone reboots itself. Cyanogen's 6.1 mod seems to work best. If I let the phone restart with the Cyanogen mod in place, then leave the device alone, it can usually go the longest before restarting. But once I start using the phone, it reboots.

This isn't my first time unlocking the N1 and running custom ROMs, but I am a serious amateur with absolutely no coding experience and very little Terminal experience (or confidence). I did make sure to wipe the phone in between each custom ROM. I'm not sure what other information I can provide, but I would greatly appreciate any help from the brilliant folks on this forum.

thanks,

;-P

Guest jwhipple
Hi everyone,

I cracked the screen on my N1 and just received my new (refurb) replacement unit. My older N1 was unlocked, running Paul's Desire ROM. I unlocked my new unit, flashed the amon-RA recovery, and tried to restore my nandroid backup. The nandroid backup gave me an error. After trying a few things, I decided to give up and start from scratch.

I loaded the r24 Desire ROM, then Cyanogen 6.1.0, then a stock N1 ROM I baked in the kitchen here at MoDaCo, and with each ROM I had the same problem. After a random, usually brief interval, the phone would restart itself. I get the X screen with the unlock icon, then whatever boot screen is loaded, then the phone is active again. There's no repeated pattern to this; there's no specific action I'm taking that causes the phone to reboot. The problem seems to be worse with the stock ROM I tried to load. I can't even get past the initial Google Account setup pages before the phone reboots itself. Cyanogen's 6.1 mod seems to work best. If I let the phone restart with the Cyanogen mod in place, then leave the device alone, it can usually go the longest before restarting. But once I start using the phone, it reboots.

This isn't my first time unlocking the N1 and running custom ROMs, but I am a serious amateur with absolutely no coding experience and very little Terminal experience (or confidence). I did make sure to wipe the phone in between each custom ROM. I'm not sure what other information I can provide, but I would greatly appreciate any help from the brilliant folks on this forum.

thanks,

;-P

Make sure the radio is the correct version. I used to "Dual Boot" between Froyo and 2.1 and found that I also had to swap radios each time I would switch otherwise I would get reboots every few minutes.

Guest Philip Berne
Make sure the radio is the correct version. I used to "Dual Boot" between Froyo and 2.1 and found that I also had to swap radios each time I would switch otherwise I would get reboots every few minutes.

Thanks for helping! I baked a fresh ROM (Desire for N1 R24) with a radio image in it, but I'm still experiencing the same problems. I think you might be right that it is a radio problem, though. The phone didn't give me trouble when I used it without the SIM, but when I popped in my T-Mobile USA SIM card, it restarted as soon as I unlocked the lock screen.