Sign in to follow this  
paddyg

PS3 Hack

What is the best hack for the PS3 with the HTC Desire and is there any development being done on upgrades?

Yes and yes...

You want this...

http://www.psfmod.klutsh.com/

psfmod, it's updated all the time and uses the latest payloads, check the changelog in the link and you will see it gets updated all the time.

This is basicly Clockworkmod with added PS3 hack feature right? so no problelms w/ flasing roms and stuff once I install this? and no damage to any features (heard something about it could tamper with phone features) about to flash it with unrevoked you can do that right? even if the phone is already rooted?

And btw is it a permanent hack once it´s done it´s just added "feature" to PS3 or is it required to boot with the Desire plugged in on every boot to keep backup "feature" and ability to run it? if the latter is the case can I then run a backed up game without the Desire plugged in or will I need that to run backed up games? and play with homebrews once they appear?

Edit: Figured it out from the wiki, it´s a "soft hack" and requires the Android phone every single time you want to use the hack.

Edited by Asselberghs

And btw is it a permanent hack once it´s done it´s just added "feature" to PS3 or is it required to boot with the Desire plugged in on every boot to keep backup "feature" and ability to run it? if the latter is the case can I then run a backed up game without the Desire plugged in or will I need that to run backed up games? and play with homebrews once they appear?

Edit: Figured it out from the wiki, it´s a "soft hack" and requires the Android phone every single time you want to use the hack.

Every assumption you've made is right.

Use unrevoked

Just adds PS3 hack to recovery in clockworkrecovery

DON'T USE CLOCKWORK RECOVERY MOD FROM YOUR DESIRE GUI AFTERWARDS OR IT WILL GET OVERWRITTEN WITH NON HACK RECOVERY.

Download quickboot from market, it is an icon you can place on your screen to "reboot\recovery" with press of button.

It's extremely easy todo just make sure that you load the custom recovery in unrevoked BEFORE connecting the desire to the computer with your usb cable as unrevoked likes to start straight away without confirmation with its default recovery

Every assumption you've made is right.

Use unrevoked

Just adds PS3 hack to recovery in clockworkrecovery

DON'T USE CLOCKWORK RECOVERY MOD FROM YOUR DESIRE GUI AFTERWARDS OR IT WILL GET OVERWRITTEN WITH NON HACK RECOVERY.

Download quickboot from market, it is an icon you can place on your screen to "reboot\recovery" with press of button.

It's extremely easy todo just make sure that you load the custom recovery in unrevoked BEFORE connecting the desire to the computer with your usb cable as unrevoked likes to start straight away without confirmation with its default recovery

Hi m8, thanks:) now I´m getting a little closer, I can see it wants to install the correct custom recovery image. But the process seems to freeze, or wait an enormous amount of time, of "Waiting for root" state. I´ve not been able to pass this and I´ve tried a couple of times.

Try an older version of unrevoked, the latest one (when I first used it a few weeks ago) did a similar thing. Do a google it's documented, can't remember which version I used though and have since deleted it as I have a proper dedicated jailbreak usb stick now.

Try an older version of unrevoked, the latest one (when I first used it a few weeks ago) did a similar thing. Do a google it's documented, can't remember which version I used though and have since deleted it as I have a proper dedicated jailbreak usb stick now.

Fantastic m8 that worked:D I found a link for UnRevoked 3.14 installed and flashed the recovery image:D

Is there any way to get notified fast on klutsh´s PSFMod updates? (like RSS?) I thought I could do a factory reset/system reset to be set back to 1.0 and then update to 3.41 to get it working, apparently this is not the case as far as I can tell from reading online, so my guess is I have no other choice than to wait and pray Klutsh will figure out how to use PSFMod on 3.50 and release the payload for that.

I sure as hell ain´t updating the PS3 no more. *prays for a payload for use with PSFMod for my machine*

Is there any way to get notified fast on klutsh´s PSFMod updates? (like RSS?) I thought I could do a factory reset/system reset to be set back to 1.0 and then update to 3.41 to get it working, apparently this is not the case as far as I can tell from reading online, so my guess is I have no other choice than to wait and pray Klutsh will figure out how to use PSFMod on 3.50 and release the payload for that.

I sure as hell ain´t updating the PS3 no more. *prays for a payload for use with PSFMod for my machine*

Not a chance in hell.

Klutsch just compiles the payloads from others, applies tweaks etc to give you psfmod. He doesn't hack it and there currently is no way a hack for 3.50 is on the cards. The only way will be if the supposed 3.50>3.41 downgrader from the original psjailbreak team is real and it is then hacked and someone ports that payload to the desire.

I don't see what the problem is, it's easy enough to locate the 3.41 update you need -> update to that from a usb stick and then use psfmod. Am I missing something?

Not a chance in hell.

Klutsch just compiles the payloads from others, applies tweaks etc to give you psfmod. He doesn't hack it and there currently is no way a hack for 3.50 is on the cards. The only way will be if the supposed 3.50>3.41 downgrader from the original psjailbreak team is real and it is then hacked and someone ports that payload to the desire.

I don't see what the problem is, it's easy enough to locate the 3.41 update you need -> update to that from a usb stick and then use psfmod. Am I missing something?

3.41 cannot be patched down from 3.50 and system factory reset and the other PS3 reset build into the system by Sony will delete all content on the PS3 and reset the settings but does not in any way touch the firmware/PS3 version, that will remain the same, and theres no way to go down in version/firmware. Unless ofc. said PS Jailbreaks PS Dowgrader works, but that ofc in turn requires PS Jailbreak which will not work on a 3.50 system. So so far there´s nothing to be done.

3.41 cannot be patched down from 3.50 and system factory reset and the other PS3 reset build into the system by Sony will delete all content on the PS3 and reset the settings but does not in any way touch the firmware/PS3 version, that will remain the same, and theres no way to go down in version/firmware. Unless ofc. said PS Jailbreaks PS Dowgrader works, but that ofc in turn requires PS Jailbreak which will not work on a 3.50 system. So so far there´s nothing to be done.

Uhhhh that's what I said :rolleyes:

Except the last bit which is wrong, all the jailbreak devices and software has been derived from the original jailbreak device, It will be a matter of a few days tops for the downgrader to be hacked and the hexes available for use on other devices for free; Assuming it is genuine, it looks 50\50 right now.

Uhhhh that's what I said :rolleyes:

Except the last bit which is wrong, all the jailbreak devices and software has been derived from the original jailbreak device, It will be a matter of a few days tops for the downgrader to be hacked and the hexes available for use on other devices for free; Assuming it is genuine, it looks 50\50 right now.

Oh sorry m8:( was a bit tired and still is. Diden´t read your post correctly sorry:(

So Klutsh got PS3 downgrade ported to Android with his PSFServiceMod. But it seems his site have been updated and lost a bit of posts. I seem to recall PSFServiceMod will downgrade a 3.50 but will not be able to handle 3.55 is this correct? or can it take on any PS3 Patch/firmware? how serious is the "will not play blu-ray movies" issue?

So Klutsh got PS3 downgrade ported to Android with his PSFServiceMod. But it seems his site have been updated and lost a bit of posts. I seem to recall PSFServiceMod will downgrade a 3.50 but will not be able to handle 3.55 is this correct? or can it take on any PS3 Patch/firmware? how serious is the "will not play blu-ray movies" issue?

1. No downgrader currently supports 3.55. They all only do 3.5 or below.

2. All downgraders apart from 1 (which is only a claim at this point) stop bluray movies playing permanently. The way to fix this is to download someone elses dev_flash3 (might be 2, not sure) and overwrite your own one...

I don't need to downgrade so haven't looked into the bluray issue, I understand it is not a serious problem and easily correctable...

you should checkout the big post on the issue at http://psx-scene.com Bear in mind the people there are mildly retarded, but you should be able to find the information you need.

It seems to downgrade the ps3 you need to purchase a special dongle.

Is there anyway to downgrade using a normal usb or even an android phone?

right, PSFServiceMod allows a downgrade to be done via the Desire.

Has anyone got a guide on how to do it and what disadvantages are there with a jailbroken ps3? Is it just that i cant play online?

right, PSFServiceMod allows a downgrade to be done via the Desire.

Has anyone got a guide on how to do it and what disadvantages are there with a jailbroken ps3? Is it just that i cant play online?

Haven´t downgraded no need, so can´t guide you there. disadvantages of jailbroken PS3 is no online content at all, no chat, no PSN, no demos nothing, no webbrowsing. Gaming and blu-ray and what you can do with a USB thats it.

I can guide you to doing PSFmod not service mod, I don´t know the steps for downgrading the firmware with the new recovery image. And theres the risk of rendering the PS3 unable to playback Blu-Ray movies by downgrading the firmware.

Does anyone know what mod needs to be done to boot games from a hard drive without the need to have a disc in the drive?

My drive can't read discs as its faulty.

Does anyone know what mod needs to be done to boot games from a hard drive without the need to have a disc in the drive?

My drive can't read discs as its faulty.

As far as I know that can´t be done. Sry m8.

I have done some research and it seems like Hermes v4b allows this. What do you think?

I have no knowledge of Hermes but as far as I´ve understood it it´s just payloads, ways to trick higher firmware to allow execution of backed up games. I don´t think that will do the trick.

The procedure is, plug in the phone, do the boot ritual, it goes into developer mode, install Gaia manager via USB (pkg files) and through gaia manager, which can only be executed have you done the boot ritual, backup and or execute games and this process require a game blu-ray disc inserted to have something to "project" the backed up image file onto and let the PS3 execute the game.