Iphone 4 user moving to San Fran

Guest ceanth

Hi all,

I am getting my San Fran tonight (hopefully in the next few hours) and I thought I would post up my experiences once i get it. I bought the device for my sister as her phone broke BUT as it was her birthday i am going to give her my Iphone 4 and keep the san fran (being the nice brother that I am).

I owned a HTC Hero for a while but then moved over to the Iphone 4. My Iphone 4 is jailbroken but im finding i dont use the apps (or need them for that matter) and for the price of the san fran it was a steal!

My knowledge of android is quite limited now, so i suspect I will be using this forum a lot more to get upto speed.

I am on O2 so first thing is to unlock, then I suspect I will need the O2 internet settings (Ive seen that posted on the forum somewhere).

In terms of ROOTING the device, I take it i need this in order to run unsigned code, i remember at the time of owning the HTC Hero i used ROOTING to install Wifi tethering.

Primary use of the device will be phone, email, calender (gmail and exchange).

Any tips of tricks would be greatly appreciated :)

Guest Stephen Hyde

first off congrats on finally moving away from crapple :)

next up make sure you run at means modaco r4 as youll have piles of orange junk otherwise :)

first off congrats on finally moving away from crapple :)

next up make sure you run at means modaco r4 as youll have piles of orange junk otherwise :)

I was thinking of running the ROM which it came with. Is there any advantages of keeping the existing ROM? I probably would use Orange Wednesdays but thats about it.

I read on the forum how people were using Titanium backup (or something like that) to manually uninstall some of the orange bits which were not needed. Is it worth going down that route?

the stock orange rom isnt bad but i think orange wendsdays only works if your on orange :)

I actually managed to use the Orange Wednesday app on my iphone (of course you need an orange account). My dad has a payg orange sim and i use his details on my iphone to generate the codes.

Im just thinking, its Wednesday tomorrow...... :)

Hi ceanth

Unlock

Root

De brand (or get rid of 99% of the Orange rubbish)

Is there any advantages of keeping the existing ROM?

You will find the the stock rom is ok (not the best but perfectly ok)

Hi ceanth

Unlock

Root

De brand (or get rid of 99% of the Orange rubbish)

You will find the the stock rom is ok (not the best but perfectly ok)

Hi, by debrand do you mean put a custom ROM or manually remove orange bits?

Guest G0DSPEED

Not sure why there is such an emphasis on putting a custom Rom on the phone, especially over on hukd's as the standard one has been as good as gold to me. I used androot along with titanium backup to clear away the unwanted stuff. Performance has been fine and I don't have any WiFi trouble. I'm using a three sim BTW and the standard orange Wednesdays app still works.

Guest popoyaya
Not sure why there is such an emphasis on putting a custom Rom on the phone, especially over on hukd's as the standard one has been as good as gold to me. I used androot along with titanium backup to clear away the unwanted stuff. Performance has been fine and I don't have any WiFi trouble. I'm using a three sim BTW and the standard orange Wednesdays app still works.

Benefits of installing Froyo...

supports USB tethering and acts as a portable hotspot

up to 5x faster than Eclair, thanks to a just-in-time compiler

Froyo has the world's fastest mobile browser thanks to chrome's V8 JavaScript engine

possibility for flash support

updated Market application with batch and automatic update features

support for installing applications to the expandable memory

possibility to overclock...

If your on O2 and not on contract, or a contract that ends soon, consider a GiffGaff sim

they use O2's network and are actually owned by O2 but run as a seperate company.

They give you truly 100% unlimited internet on your phone, ideal if you like the San Francisco.

If your interested let me know by message, I can pass on your details and you'll get a sim card with £5 credit on it already, or order from their website and just get the sim with no credit

Good luck with the San Fraincisco, its a brilliant phone, I bought one to try and ended up with my other half swiping it, me buying another for me, and I'e just got my son one as well, we were all on O2 till now, I've been with them for the past 10 yrs, and was always a Nokia person till I tried this phone

it's brilliant

Froyo has the world's fastest mobile browser thanks to chrome's V8 JavaScript engine

If you're new with the phone best not to go for an alpha build where yes there are upsides but there are also significant things not working. Going for a custom 2.1 ROM from Modaco I would recommend, you can select to keep Wednesdays app if you like and ditch the other junk, also add in Fancy Widget HTC style clock and weather whihc is really cool (so cool they were forced by HTC to remoive it from the market and replace with a much less cool looking version).

EDIT: Noticed reference to Nokia snuck in above me, can't help but think they were such a great company, but didn't the head guy recently say its all about the hardware and not the software, what garbage, the SF really puts the lie to that, hardware is getting good enough to do everything you'd want at reasonable cost - its all about the software now.

Edited by quails

Guest G0DSPEED

Thats not a custom rom of the standard image which I was refering to i.e R2,R3 sebastians etc. Its a whole android operating system update!

I've installed barnacle which is a perfect wifi hotspot - Can't see froyo on the blade getting 'official' 10.1 flash support due to its processor which is a real shame :) I thought the market app had been updated with automatic update features etc already.

I've heard app2sd does a half decent job for putting applications on the expandable memory once rooted.

Don't get me wrong I can't wait to put froyo on mine but looking at the current state of play with the bugs I'm gonna hold out for a while till it gets a good ironing :)

Cheers

G

by debrand do you mean put a custom ROM or manually remove orange bits?

Manually remove the Orangey bits :)

Then after using it for a while, think about if and what rom you need.

Edited by DaveyP

Guest Carbonize

The V8 engine (which is actually made by a company in Norway(?) for Google) is just for JavaScript so has nothing to do with how fast the browser is.

Guest popoyaya
The V8 engine (which is actually made by a company in Norway(?) for Google) is just for JavaScript so has nothing to do with how fast the browser is.

According to Android Developers "Faster, more powerful browser: We have brought the V8 JavaScript engine to the Android browser as part of 2.2. This has resulted in a 2-3X improvement in JavaScript performance vs. 2.1"

Guest Carbonize

They even say it themselves "a 2-3X improvement in JavaScript performance". It takes more than a fast JS engine to make a fast browser since not all websites use JavaScript or use it heavily enough for your engine to make a difference. number of parallel connections and rendering time play a big part.

Guest Azurren
According to Android Developers "Faster, more powerful browser: We have brought the V8 JavaScript engine to the Android browser as part of 2.2. This has resulted in a 2-3X improvement in JavaScript performance vs. 2.1"

Emphases on the "JavaScript performance"

Very few sites use significant JS to be noticeable.. And any site that does isn't a site that you should go on :)

Guest mikeyp7771
I was thinking of running the ROM which it came with. Is there any advantages of keeping the existing ROM? I probably would use Orange Wednesdays but thats about it.

I read on the forum how people were using Titanium backup (or something like that) to manually uninstall some of the orange bits which were not needed. Is it worth going down that route?

The Orange Wednesday app is available on the market if you did use debranded rom and decided you wanted it back.

Hi all,

After playing around with the San fran I didn't get as far as rooting, just unlocked it so far.

The device is amazing! I can't believe how good the screen is and how responsive it is (was expecting it to be slow and clunky at 600mhz).

I had some wifi drop outs but seems to remain connected now.

As I've not had a chance to play around with ROMs I don't know if this is fixed with a custom rom but I am unable to add an email address in the stock email client. It looks like it's orange specific. I have gmail setup but I have a hotmail account which I'd like to add. Is there anyway of using the email client (it says the number in invalid, I'm assuming it's looking for an orange number but I have an o2 sim).

The orange mail always gives that message unless you are using an orange sim. If you're sticking to your O2 sim you may as well root the device and delete the orange mail app. You can download "work email" or K9 mail" from the market and use one of those instead. They're both free so you can play with both and decide which you like best. I think you can tie in your hotmail account to google mail as well but I may be wrong.

If you're staying with O2 you may as well root the phone with androot and delete the Orange stuff and games using Titanium backup to give yourself more memory.

That's the route I took( vodafone sim). Much safer than custom ROM's at this early stage of the learning curve. The stock orange rom is actually very good.

Guest kissofjudas

would have exchanged my SF for a 3GS never mind a Iphone4

this is good value but flaky and looks to be that way for a while.

can't fault the value for the cost but as of yet no spares available and not that great