Toshiba Folio 100, rooted

Guest SilentMobius

Guest Bisto321
@Bisto321

Thanks for the video. It looks snappy and responsive in that video. What would you say are your top 5(?) gripes with it at the moment?

The only things that not right are, flash(soon to be sorted hopefully) and sometimes laggy interface.

The screen issue is not really a problem for me, I can see how others may not like it, but It will only be used for a bit of work/sofa/bed surfing and the way that I hold it means that the screen is alway's at the right angle. Best advice is to have a look at one in PCW and make a decision based on that - I will be very interested to see the Advent, but as others have mentioned, I would suspect they share screen specs. If the Advent is better, then Toshiba have really screwed the pooch.

The random screen on thing is a bit annoying, but I am sure Toshiba can fix that.

If it had behaved as well as it has done today when I first fired it up (other than the lack of flash) I would be totally happy - really am at a loss to explain why it is behaving better. Couple of side loaded apps and launcher Pro (was the Tosh launcher to blame?) is all I have added.

Also 16gig SD card is recognised and ok, so now I have a 32Gb Tosh and the Mouse and HDMI output work well too - Way back when I first started flashing ROM's on my hero the Dev's used to say "it takes a few hours and reboots for the ROM to bed in and become stable", I think we have moved on from that type of ROM (never convinced myself) but the Tosh does seem to improve with age. Come on Toshiba get some fixes out...........

Guest Bisto321
What is the calender app you have there I can't find one on mine even though the settings say to sync it.

It is one of Launcher Pro's widgets - it has Facebook, twitter (or TwatFace as I call them. must be my age :) ), calendar, bookmarks and more. It really is rather good and gives you lots of options to set up the folio screen (set mine to 6 rows x 8 columns for nicer layout) The catch? you have to pay (£2 ish?) from the market(paypal) and side load it. They do have a free one but the widgets are not available until you cough up - well worth it.

Toshiba market lets you download ADW - very similar and you can theme it - not sure if it has widgets.

Not tried setting up my calendar yet - will give it a go later.

Looks like I might invest in Launcher Pro tonight then!

How do you side load it on from the Market? I notice its possible to download the apk from their website, is that all that is needed?

Did you uninstall the Toshiba home launcher?

Guest Bisto321

How do you side load it on from the Market? I notice its possible to download the apk from their website, is that all that is needed?

you can do it either way, I just used my phones file manager(estrongs) to copy the apk to my SD card. But the one from his site is easier. then pay him by paypal and he will send you an unlock code associated with your paypal account. When installed, the first time you return to the home screen you will be asked how you wish to complete this action just select launcher pro - job done. Quite a lot of info on his site on how to configure it.

No need to uninstall the Toshiba launcher - you may need root for that anyway, not sure?

Guest griff_dai

Just been playing with this in Curry's Wrexham, have to say that the I was quite impressed with what I have seen.

Once I played about with the settings and that, it looked quite nice.

However I am not jumping in yet, going to wait and see what the Vega is like first!

Guest Bisto321

Just before you commit to a purchase of this app, it is worth noting that currently it looks as if some of the pay for widgets will not function on the folio.

Calendar, Facebook and Twitter.

Because of the lack of Google apps the calendar is 'not there', have not confirmed twitter, but facebook widget fails when adding login details. Bookmarks and contacts seems ok but I suspect the others are relying on chunks of code that are not there in our non 3G non Google device. Not had time to thoroughly check this out, launcher pro site may have more detail. Contacts, basic calendar and bookmarks are fine for me at the moment – full calendar sync would be nice though.

Well...

I ordered it on the PC World website 2 days ago and seriously started to worry reading peoples comments about the screen, the lag, the build quality, the clumsy toshiba soft so I decided to pay a visit to my local PC World to have a good look at it before I accept the delivery :)

To be honest, what a good surprise!

Yes, the view angles could be better... but compared to my Asus netbook (only 1 year old), it is quite decent and I can definitely live with that.

I did not noticed any "really bad" lag. My Nexus one overoptimized with a Cyanogen ROM does not perform better...

Build quality? Yes, the back has not been made from a solid piece of aluminium ultra design and the black plastic is soft in some areas but it offers a very good grip thanks to its patern and looks VERY resistant to scratchs

The spec is what keeps me dreaming... Tegra 2, wifi n, 16gb internal (I already orders a 32Gb SD class 6 on ebay). This baby has a HUGE potential when it would have been optimized with custom ROM and knowing the Android community, I am sure it is not going to be long...

I know what I am talking about... I purchased a Streak in August running 1.6 because I felt in love with the form factor and the mobile spec and in is only this week that Finally, we now have a stable and fully functional custom made Froyo 2.2 which deliver it's full potential... (Dell is still to deliver...)

No flash yet on the Tosh market? I can wait few weeks :(

Last but not least, all these complaints and disapointment about the screen, build quality seems unfair looking at it price compare to its competitors (Galaxis, Ipad) with a better finish, yes, but several £100 away...

If you really want to do a comparaison, look a all the tab with a similar price tag, most of them Chinese/korean that you can get on ebay (Ramos, Nationite, SPAM, Onda...).

I have owned several of them and I can tell you that what I have seen this morning is much much better.

And it is also Tosh... That means that we can imagine to get Android 3.0 on the Folio one day...

When it arrives, I keep it :)

Edited by BooToo

Guest Bisto321
Well...

I ordered it on the PC World website 2 days ago and seriously started to worry reading peoples comments about the screen, the lag, the build quality, the clumsy toshiba soft so I decided to pay a visit to my local PC World to have a good look at it before I accept the delivery :)

Yep, I do agree it sounds really bad. Trouble is it is true! (for me it is)

As I posted earlier, mine was flying this morning and had me smiling again, since then it has slowed and refused to respond on several occasions. My call to Toshiba left me relieved that they were commited to fixing issues and the update software does look like it has been thought through. However, their admission, error or otherwise, that it will probably not be as smooth as my 500mhz Hero has me baffled and worried. Certainly, my hero cant play 1080p video, but its 2.2 interface is much smoother and more robust.

Screen is fine for me, landscape 99% of the time and it looks good. People have been spoiled with the newer super amoled screens and the more expensive offerings of late and probably expected better on this.

I know a few people have made mention of similar issues to me, but I hope that my unit is slightly sick and a one off, when its runnning well it is great.

I would be interested to hear from more people who have positive news. They are all too busy using it rather than worrying and moaning about it :)

I'm writing from the folio. tried to installed flash apk but itobviously did not work.

anybody see the annoying thing that when trying to entertext, the whole scrreen geets taken up by the text box and keyboardso I don't know whereim writing and I can't refer to the previous posts at all?any workarounds?

Guest fonetastic

Mine arrived on Friday :) although im NOT allowed it till my birthday, my wife has hidden it :)

I also have a Streak too.

Theres a big thread over on xda about the G-tab, they have a working market and gmail etc might be worth a look.

Mine arrived on Friday :) although im NOT allowed it till my birthday, my wife has hidden it :)

I also have a Streak too.

Theres a big thread over on xda about the G-tab, they have a working market and gmail etc might be worth a look.

Can you put a link?

I can't finf it.

Many thanks

Guest Matrix Mike

I stood behind a Toshiba rep in my local PCworld earlier playing with the Folio and when I commented on the slow and jerky scrolling he said they are all like that , when pressed he said ALL tablets are bad at scrolling so I started scrolling on the Galaxy Tab next to him and when it scrolled nicely , I commented that the Tab must be broken as it was not jerky and walked away ....what a Muppet

Really look promissing indeed...

I would really like to backup the entire ROM as an update.zip file before starting to play with it but to get to that point, it seems that the following need to happend:

1: Root the device - seems like SilentMobius got it rights with superoneclickroot - To Be confirmed

2: Install a custom recovery image WITH Nandroid - No idea how to get an existing recovery images compatible with the Folio

3: Create a full Nandroid backup of the ROM on the SD card - That should be a piece of cake once the custom recovery is in place...

Then, we will have an update.zip ready to be restored if we mess up with the ROM :)

Anybody skilled enough to make compatible an existing custom recovery image?

UPDATE:

That might be easier than I thought...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04/16/co...od-rom-manager/

Under the assumption that Clockworkmod does not need an access to the maket (CallHome) to work...

Edited by BooToo

By the way, let's keep this threat as clean as possible and focus on the Folio improvement.

By this, I mean: If you do not like the Folio, keep it to yourself (no need to post a message just for that...).

I think there is now enough feedback to allow people to make up their mind...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BooToo

Just curious, as I saw the Fring icon on the PC World website, has anyone tried using the webcam for a video chat? Or just tested the webcam?

Although I'm not sure I'd want to hold a tablet for a long chat it could be handy for casual use.

Guest Bisto321
Really look promissing indeed...

I would really like to backup the entire ROM as an update.zip file before starting to play with it but to get to that point, it seems that the following need to happend:

1: Root the device - seems like SilentMobius got it rights with superoneclickroot - To Be confirmed

2: Install a custom recovery image WITH Nandroid - No idea how to get an existing recovery images compatible with the Folio

3: Create a full Nandroid backup of the ROM on the SD card - That should be a piece of cake once the custom recovery is in place...

Then, we will have an update.zip ready to be restored if we mess up with the ROM :)

Anybody skilled enough to make compatible an existing custom recovery image?

UPDATE:

That might be easier than I thought...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04/16/co...od-rom-manager/

Under the assumption that Clockworkmod does not need an access to the maket (CallHome) to work...

Someone has already extracted the rom, rooted it and repackaged on xda!

We also have access to fastboot and the existing rom recovery firmware on the folio so we are almost there, the viewsonic guys are progressing theirs extremely well and some are attempting to load the folio rom. Looks like a few of them may have bricked theirs though! Part of the development path, a few brave souls allways fall. My folio is behaving well today :) and I saw a comment online about flash being available on the tenth.

Guest fonetastic
Someone has already extracted the rom, rooted it and repackaged on xda!

We also have access to fastboot and the existing rom recovery firmware on the folio so we are almost there, the viewsonic guys are progressing theirs extremely well and some are attempting to load the folio rom. Looks like a few of them may have bricked theirs though! Part of the development path, a few brave souls allways fall. My folio is behaving well today :) and I saw a comment online about flash being available on the tenth.

I think the viewsonic is possibly in a worse state than the folio which is why they're pushing along so much and good luck to them it can only help us lot out :)

Guest Bisto321
BTW, superoneclickroot seems to work :)

Ok I've pushed GoogleServicesFramework.apk and Vending.apk to system/app I now get the market icon and once executed it takes me to the account signup. however that fails after signup. I think the Folio is mis-reporting its MAC address and thus the check-in is failing

Working late, ideal time to play.

Thanks for the info about rooting a while back.

Got that sorted now and have used the xda viewsonic g tab method from ‘r34p3rex’ to install Google apps and market - maps are working well, but obviously Gmail and the market need an account and , like you, mine fails on sign up.

Did you get any further with your MAC address theory?

Looking forward to flash, but market would be the cherry on top.

My folio seems to still be running really well (really nice response?), just the annoying random on from sleep.

Below is the link to Tegra 2 optimized Android Froyo 2.2 vanilla version (in case you get fed-up with the Tosh interface).

http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/downloads

The only remaining question is how it will behave with no 3G component available.

I thing this is a great starting point for a clean and fast android version :)

EDIT: You will find in the "Tegra Android Setup Guide" PDF all you need to know to install the USB drivers on Win 7 64bits

Edited by BooToo

Guest Bisto321
Just before you commit to a purchase of this app, it is worth noting that currently it looks as if some of the pay for widgets will not function on the folio.

Calendar, Facebook and Twitter.

Because of the lack of Google apps the calendar is 'not there', have not confirmed twitter, but facebook widget fails when adding login details. Bookmarks and contacts seems ok but I suspect the others are relying on chunks of code that are not there in our non 3G non Google device. Not had time to thoroughly check this out, launcher pro site may have more detail. Contacts, basic calendar and bookmarks are fine for me at the moment – full calendar sync would be nice though.

Update on above - I don't use Facebook but thinking about why Launcher Pro's widget did not function and it dawned on me that I probably needed to install the Facebook.apk - obvious really!

Did that and Launcher pro widget is now working well on the folio and looks really good on a bigger screen.

Going to try and get the calendar apk from my phone across - still need to resolve the market account creation issue

Guest shawnfr
Update on above - I don't use Facebook but thinking about why Launcher Pro's widget did not function and it dawned on me that I probably needed to install the Facebook.apk - obvious really!

Did that and Launcher pro widget is now working well on the folio and looks really good on a bigger screen.

Going to try and get the calendar apk from my phone across - still need to resolve the market account creation issue

I'm thinking of getting a Folio 100 to do some development with, but haven't got one yet... Market/GMail is important :-)

So has anyone tried spoofing the MAC address? Perhaps to not be a Toshiba ID in the vendor section?

e.g.: http://superuser.com/questions/91699/spoof...from-ip-command

Guest Bisto321
I'm thinking of getting a Folio 100 to do some development with, but haven't got one yet... Market/GMail is important :-)

So has anyone tried spoofing the MAC address? Perhaps to not be a Toshiba ID in the vendor section?

e.g.: http://superuser.com/questions/91699/spoof...from-ip-command

tried and failed so far with this;

"ip link show" command fails with ip: not found - suggests that busybox is not installed, yes?

but I have installed busybox with Titanium backup? so tried another method (ifconfig)

tried bringing down the wlan0 with ifconfig wlan0 down and that works ok

then trying ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:25:7E:20:CF:86 returns;

error: SIOCSIFADDR (Invalid argument)

probably is the Tosh id that is failing market, but can't get rid of it yet.

Guest whatkatedoes

Hi Guys :) Been following this and the other topic for a week, after being interested in the Advent. Very much a gadgetgirl, and have wanted an Ipad type thing without actually wanting an ipad lol.. so been following things closely. No experience of android, but liked what I saw, and have a Nokia N900 with Maemo, so sort of aquainted with linux a bit.

Anyway - yesterday visited currys and saw the Folio for the first time.. despite all the downsides posted here, I still liked what I saw, so bought one.. it was easier to decide having just traded in 2 of my old phones for £240 :(

Anyway.. I like the folio a lot. I see what people say about the unresponsiveness, but I see that it appears to be background chunder causing it.. I suspect if there was the equivalent of a hard-disk activity light we'd see it was up to mischief. It definitely settles down after a while once booted.

So anyway, Im watching developments with hacking/etc and cant wait for more stuff to be opened up with it :) I'm already pretty happy with the browser, the vintage comic book app (shame no proper cbr reader yet :lol: ) and especially ScummVM :( The lack of flash decision in order to rush the device into the shops was unfortunate tho,. hope we see that soon :(