Toshiba Folio 100, rooted

Guest SilentMobius

Guest tdouble
101 looks good and already has full market -

Not sure though - it is not a Tegra2 device. Really want one of those (I have already forgotten that I had one and had to return it today!)

Will be banging on the door of PCW to have a look on Thursday (18th?) If anyone works at Aylesbury PCW and reads this - I will bring the coffee :huh:

Will be banging at my local PC World with ya lol got a feeling the advent vega might have the same issues as the folio hence the delays 1st november, 11th november, now the 18th.

Ps check the archosfans forum for info on the archos 101 some people around europe already have theirs im gonna leave it up to you to make the decision but im affraid that we are not gonna get a tablet "up to speed" this side of christmas. :rolleyes:

Guest Bisto321
Same here :rolleyes:

Just posted this here as toshiba forum seems to like to moderate my posts sorry..

Knobby you know what mate you did your bit. Some people just don't want to listen, FACT the item is priced at £999 in PC world, how do i know, because i saw it with my own eyes when i took mine back to the shop. Was told by the manager of the store that a mass message was sent to PC WORLD and CURRYS in order to bump the price up (so no one would buy it) but keep it on the shelves till further notice. Was also told that there was a recall from toshiba not 100% sure of the reasons could be mistaken but im sure it was something to do with the battery and that they were going to re-release the folio just before christmas.

I really did want to like this device, but im sorry but when

1. MAJOR stores PC WORLD & CURRYS have removed the device from their website especially when PC World had the 21 day exclusive, if anyone noticed the advert with the four tabs ( Samsung, Toshiba, Archos, Advent) the Toshiba has also been removed from this advert WTF!

2. Bumping the price to £999 in store.

3. Personally told by one of the people at the customer services desk "Not Another ONE!!" and it was a running joke with the staff.

4. The whole flash saga, Lets se what happens tomorrow.

5. The fact that Toshiba is keeping quiet, not only on the number of returns but also any problems which the device may have.. i had mine for over a week and no info on updates or anything. I know it takes time but its free to communicate with your customers, clearly knowing the issues the device has, please the device even has its own product information center app.

6. its taking forum users (a few on here Toshiba Forum) more so on XDA and Modaco to actually try and make the device usable (i was so happy to see people pull together like this) Toshiba hasn't even had the decency to write in their own forum to the loyal few who have stuck with their device. How many of you knew about the flash upgrade supposedly released tomorrow. did toshiba themselves tell you or did you find the info from elsewhere. Funny enough i was one of the "lucky" ones to get the flash beta from their service center and uploaded it straight away to Modaco & XDA under the name "supagforce" so chances are if you allready have the beta it was thanks to me.

You know what if anone else wants to finish this list off your more than welcome im tired, and P!$%ED OFF

Yep - all that.........

I am sure that those people who keep theirs will have a useable pretty decent device - mine was working quite well before I took root off and reset to factory :huh:

My real reason for its return was Toshiba's attitude and communication (read lack of) and the fact that I did not want to risk my money on a device that Toshiba might or might not support for too long.

Another big reason is the Devs on here and XDA - if they are not all over it (look at the viewsonic Gpad thread on XDA) whats the point?

Most of us on will use it as standard for a while and will then be looking here and at XDA to really get it going - I just don't think that the Tosh is going to 'float the Devs boat'

Nowt wrong with the spec sheet for this device, it's the massive failings from Toshiba - 2 weeks delay could have sorted all this.

Quite annoyed with you tdouble :huh: releasing the flash update almost made me keep it...................

Guest tdouble
Yep - all that.........

I am sure that those people who keep theirs will have a useable pretty decent device - mine was working quite well before I took root off and reset to factory :rolleyes:

My real reason for its return was Toshiba's attitude and communication (read lack of) and the fact that I did not want to risk my money on a device that Toshiba might or might not support for too long.

Another big reason is the Devs on here and XDA - if they are not all over it (look at the viewsonic Gpad thread on XDA) whats the point?

Most of us on will use it as standard for a while and will then be looking here and at XDA to really get it going - I just don't think that the Tosh is going to 'float the Devs boat'

Nowt wrong with the spec sheet for this device, it's the massive failings from Toshiba - 2 weeks delay could have sorted all this.

Quite annoyed with you tdouble :huh: releasing the flash update almost made me keep it...................

Tell me about it the Viewsonic forum had about 200+ pages - toshiba er 11 :D that kind of made me think mmmm considering they are almost the same device oh well sorry about the flash update :huh: that almost made me keep it also but when i started to see posts about it being removed from websites and the £999 pound price hike enough was enough...

Guest Bisto321
Tell me about it the Viewsonic forum had about 200+ pages - toshiba er 11 :huh: that kind of made me think mmmm considering they are almost the same device oh well sorry about the flash update :rolleyes: that almost made me keep it also but when i started to see posts about it being removed from websites and the £999 pound price hike enough was enough...

On MoDaCo - 50,000+ views on a not yet released Tablet - Mostly because Paul quite likes the look of it and may get one!

Only 6600 for the Folio :huh:

Guest Bisto321

Just seen that PC world have had to call a halt to filming of the last Christmas commercial staring C3PO and R2D2!

It seems the R2 unit employed for this commercial suddenly became unresponsive and failed to respond to any input?

Tech advisers for the shoot suspect that ‘R2’ accidentally tethered himself to a Toshiba Folio and downloaded its ROM. On the plus side, he is now able to play Flash on his projection unit thanks to the leaked upgrade last week…………….

Sorry could not resist it :rolleyes: No more folio baiting - Toshiba won't like me and I wont get a christmas card.

I'm starting to think I like mine - yes, it needs a few tweaks, and still has some OS bugs, but it's far from useless. Launched a bit early, and the screen is very cheap, but should get there.

Guest tdouble
Just seen that PC world have had to call a halt to filming of the last Christmas commercial staring C3PO and R2D2!

It seems the R2 unit employed for this commercial suddenly became unresponsive and failed to respond to any input?

Tech advisers for the shoot suspect that ‘R2’ accidentally tethered himself to a Toshiba Folio and downloaded its ROM. On the plus side, he is now able to play Flash on his projection unit thanks to the leaked upgrade last week…………….

Sorry could not resist it :D No more folio baiting - Toshiba won't like me and I wont get a christmas card.

:rolleyes: :huh: :huh: :D

On a brighter note have you seen the amount of well deserved "press" Modaco has been received this morning concerning the toshiba folio 100, ive seen about 20 articles refering to this forum here is an excerpt...

"Among the issues reported at MoDaCo's forums have been the absence of Android Market and Flash support despite the use of Android 2.2, random wakeups from standby and a lack of responsiveness. Some owners have also commented on a poor-quality display and low build quality with a relatively fragile plastic shell compared to the tighter build of the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the aluminum iPad. Flash should be available on Monday, but most workarounds have so far involved rooting and installing custom firmware.

Toshiba hasn't commented on the halted sales, and its lack of communication has been cited by some forum goers as a reason for returning the Folio 100."

Guest tdouble
I'm starting to think I like mine - yes, it needs a few tweaks, and still has some OS bugs, but it's far from useless. Launched a bit early, and the screen is very cheap, but should get there.

I was starting to feel the same way but i really think you should return it and wait and see what happens, remember Toshiba are gonna re-relese it supposedly, and also the advent vega which has almost identical specs but £80 cheaper should be with us real soon.

I was starting to feel the same way but i really think you should return it and wait and see what happens, remember Toshiba are gonna re-relese it supposedly, and also the advent vega which has almost identical specs but £80 cheaper should be with us real soon.

Real soon doesn't cut it - was using mine all day for both days at the weekend whilst trying to buy a car. I have it set up pretty much as I want now too, and of the 3 portable devices I have, it does seem to be the form factor that I'm starting to prefer.

Based on the state of the software on the folio, I wouldn't be surprised if the vega gets delayed for more tweaks - or at least more testing. I've got no real concerns about support from Toshiba at this stage, and the tablet/market issue can only improve. Can't help wondering if most of the people who returned it were just wanting to have a play...

Guest jnazare
Can't help wondering if most of the people who returned it were just wanting to have a play...

I agree,

waited to much for a tablet, its not 100/100 but early adopters know that hi-tech is this way.

My Folio 100 stay with me!

Guest tdouble
Real soon doesn't cut it - was using mine all day for both days at the weekend whilst trying to buy a car. I have it set up pretty much as I want now too, and of the 3 portable devices I have, it does seem to be the form factor that I'm starting to prefer.

Based on the state of the software on the folio, I wouldn't be surprised if the vega gets delayed for more tweaks - or at least more testing. I've got no real concerns about support from Toshiba at this stage, and the tablet/market issue can only improve. Can't help wondering if most of the people who returned it were just wanting to have a play...

I see your point.. dont get me wrong tho i was not straight hating the toshiba, in fact it hurt me to take it back but as you said you have set it up pretty much as you want it, but a lot of shoppers are going to want something that works straight out of the box rather than having to tweak it. I guess a lot of the geekier "no offence myself included" owners will take the time to check forums like Modaco XDA etc to get the device working to a standard they like, but try telling your average joe bloggs about rooting and launcher pro etc etc...

Guest Bisto321
I agree,

waited to much for a tablet, its not 100/100 but early adopters know that hi-tech is this way.

I do agree with and see your point.

I too was so frustrated at the lack of decent android tablets and got so excited about the specs of the Toshiba, that I splurged out on it while they were being unloaded from the truck!

On paper it reads like the first (I hate this phrase) "ipad killer", it is far from that - but then the price is a giveaway and you can see where those savings have been made.

This platform combination of tegra2 and android are great and the Toshiba could and should have been great - I really think they made a mess of this and the only way you can show these large corporations that they did not do well is to either not buy the product or return it when it is not right - the bottom line is where the execs look to see how they are doing and seeing no sales or loads of refunds will get their attention.

I can see why lots of owners will keep theirs - it’s not that bad, but for me, with those specs and that price, it just did not sit comfortably with me.

And we won't even mention the flash issue. oops, just did.

Has anyone got the official flash update yet?

Guest tdouble
I agree,

Ok, but do you think that it is right that these major companies are releasing devices not just tablets to the market knowing the issues they have and expecting people like us to spend big bucks with how the economy is. Its taking users like ourselves and others to fix their problems and make their devices usable.

look at the G-tab It now has an alternate custom rom which has made the device 100% more usable sales have rocketed and is out of stock almost everywhere. Do you think this was down to viewsonic - err NO.. it was down to the users who stuck with it and saw its potential, i was hoping this would be the case for the folio but guess not. When are these companies going to realise that "hackers - coders" on forums like this and others are far more talented than any of their staff they employ earning big bucks. Give us the source, let us fix it, you polish it then release it. No brainer really but these organisations are to far up their own A!" to realise it...

Guest tdouble
I do agree with and see your point.

I too was so frustrated at the lack of decent android tablets and got so excited about the specs of the Toshiba, that I splurged out on it while they were being unloaded from the truck!

On paper it reads like the first (I hate this phrase) "ipad killer", it is far from that - but then the price is a giveaway and you can see where those savings have been made.

This platform combination of tegra2 and android are great and the Toshiba could and should have been great - I really think they made a mess of this and the only way you can show these large corporations that they did not do well is to either not buy the product or return it when it is not right - the bottom line is where the execs look to see how they are doing and seeing no sales or loads of refunds will get their attention.

I can see why lots of owners will keep theirs - it’s not that bad, but for me, with those specs and that price, it just did not sit comfortably with me.

And we won't even mention the flash issue. oops, just did.

Has anyone got the official flash update yet?

AGREED!!!

Guest whatkatedoes

For my part.. I miss having it.. but I genuinely felt uneasy about lack of updates/info from Toshiba (or any kind of unified response on the flash issue), this uneasiness was increased by the reports of it being withdrawn, and the fear that I might have bought a device being fastracked to obseleteness(?)

Those points in addition to my real problems with the viewing angles were enough to outweigh the confidence I had in the software being developed/tweaked by the community (I had no real issue with the responsiveness.. seemed fine to me once it was booted)

So.. for now I sit on my hands awaiting the Advent, whilst keeping an eye on the Archos 101 (No tegra.. but I'm not planning on playing Call of Duty on the thing, nor am I that fussed about big TV output for 1080p material) as well keeping an eye on the Viewsonics.. tho they're more £ than I'm keen to splurge on. I'd like a nice tab for £Folio or less...

Guest tdouble
For my part.. I miss having it.. but I genuinely felt uneasy about lack of updates/info from Toshiba (or any kind of unified response on the flash issue), this uneasiness was increased by the reports of it being withdrawn, and the fear that I might have bought a device being fastracked to obseleteness(?)

Those points in addition to my real problems with the viewing angles were enough to outweigh the confidence I had in the software being developed/tweaked by the community (I had no real issue with the responsiveness.. seemed fine to me once it was booted)

So.. for now I sit on my hands awaiting the Advent, whilst keeping an eye on the Archos 101 (No tegra.. but I'm not planning on playing Call of Duty on the thing, nor am I that fussed about big TV output for 1080p material) as well keeping an eye on the Viewsonics.. tho they're more £ than I'm keen to splurge on. I'd like a nice tab for £Folio or less...

Totally could see where you are coming from about the device becoming obsolete and the lack of updates/info from Toshiba plus it being withdrawn from major stores, this was my main reason for returning it also. Lets hope something better comes along, to be honest i would probably even buy it again if Toshiba started to show some form of loyalty to the device, fixed the issues and got regular updates on the move...

Guest Bisto321
Totally could see where you are coming from about the device becoming obsolete and the lack of updates/info from Toshiba plus it being withdrawn from major stores, this was my main reason for returning it also. Lets hope something better comes along, to be honest i would probably even buy it again if Toshiba started to show some form of loyalty to the device, fixed the issues and got regular updates on the move...

Yep, tdouble and whatkatedoes have nailed it - liked it, but did not feel comfortable keeping it.

Let’s see if Toshiba stick to the promise of an official flash release today and possibly some other software updates.

Failing this, presumably because they are working hard to make these updates worthwhile and useful, at least communicate something to users! Look at all the speculation (mostly us :rolleyes: ) that has neither been commented on, corrected or refuted - they could have possibly prevented most returns with a little communication.

It does make me mad and sad at the same time.

Guest tdouble
Yep, tdouble and whatkatedoes have nailed it - liked it, but did not feel comfortable keeping it.

Let’s see if Toshiba stick to the promise of an official flash release today and possibly some other software updates.

Failing this, presumably because they are working hard to make these updates worthwhile and useful, at least communicate something to users! Look at all the speculation (mostly us :rolleyes: ) that has neither been commented on, corrected or refuted - they could have possibly prevented most returns with a little communication.

It does make me mad and sad at the same time.

HAA im getting some major stick at the toshiba forum just for telling the truth its classic!!!

check this http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com...92&tstart=0

They love me there :huh:

Guest Bisto321
HAA im getting some major stick at the toshiba forum just for telling the truth its classic!!!

check this http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com...92&tstart=0

They love me there :rolleyes:

yeah, looks like they really love you! They should, it was you that gave them the only fracking (BSG swearing, love it!) flash update out there.

I am very suspicious about some of the posters on that forum - I know it is on Toshiba servers, but it does say that it is for users and customers to share information - some of the posts look a bit 'party line' and robotic to me and they make a big point about Toshiba techs and employees not responding to posts.

You won't win, Just be polite and have the "we will have to agree to disagree" * attitude

* "Yeah, you agree that I am right and I will disagree with everything you say"

Guest tdouble
yeah, looks like they really love you! They should, it was you that gave them the only fracking (BSG swearing, love it!) flash update out there.

I am very suspicious about some of the posters on that forum - I know it is on Toshiba servers, but it does say that it is for users and customers to share information - some of the posts look a bit 'party line' and robotic to me and they make a big point about Toshiba techs and employees not responding to posts.

You won't win, Just be polite and have the "we will have to agree to disagree" * attitude

* "Yeah, you agree that I am right and I will disagree with everything you say"

:rolleyes: nuff said

Guest tdouble
:huh: nuff said

:huh: :D :D

OH MY GOSH!!!! WTF sorry again but i had to post this, MoDaCo admin if i am doing wrong please let me know because all i want to do is let people know the truth!!!

AVOID TOSHIBA LIKE THE PLAGUE

Their forums are Severely moderated and they try to tell you its a user to user forum < BULLLLLL, Im having topics removed left right and center when it concerns anything remotley negative regarding their crap, then high ranking forum posters trying to tell me that i agree with them when they post a reply disregarding what i had said .. WTF!!

Funny how these members have appeared from knowhere now they realise how much BAD press this device is getting and trying to spout positive dribble about it when they know it has severe flaws hence it being removed from the market!!!

MoDaCo Keep up the good work, sorry if i have gone against forum rules, but it seems like this is one of the few places left where your views can be aired without moderation. :rolleyes:

Edited by tdouble

Guest Bisto321

Quote taken from PC Advisor site from Dixons group

"We can confirm that we have taken the Toshiba Folio off sale temporarily as we have had a high level of returns and we do not want to give our customers a bad experience of what is actually a very good product," said Anina Castle from PC World.

"We are working with Toshiba to identify what the issue is and hope to have a resolution very soon."

Toshiba confirmed it was aware of the returns and "is currently working with Dixons Retail to provide a solution".

"An update on availability will be provided in due course."

Meanwhile, Dixons, which is also owned to DSGi, has increased the price of the device to £999, in a bid to dissuade consumers from buying the device. According to a post on the MoDaCo forums, an internal memo detailed the price rise.

"There seems to be a number of issues, and not one specific issue," the memo read.

That is the sort of info we (purchasers) need to be told - Silence is not golden in this case.

Now it is out and official, all folio owners should be able to rest a little easier, reassured that Toshiba and Dixons group are at least going to do something about it.

When I wrote to PCW to air my concerns, they mailed back and asked for info about the issues from me. Can I suggest that if folio owners have issues that they think need looking at, then they forward them to one of the Dixons group customer service addresses. I used- [email protected]

I know that some of you have had balls of steel and unswerving faith in Toshiba doing something about it and refused to return it - I hope they get fixes and software out to you ASAP

This thread has turned into an 'Anne Robinson watchdog consumer group bitchy moan', when It should be a hack, flash and test fest!

Guest tdouble
Quote taken from PC Advisor site from Dixons group

That is the sort of info we (purchasers) need to be told - Silence is not golden in this case.

Now it is out and official, all folio owners should be able to rest a little easier, reassured that Toshiba and Dixons group are at least going to do something about it.

When I wrote to PCW to air my concerns, they mailed back and asked for info about the issues from me. Can I suggest that if folio owners have issues that they think need looking at, then they forward them to one of the Dixons group customer service addresses. I used- [email protected]

I know that some of you have had balls of steel and unswerving faith in Toshiba doing something about it and refused to return it - I hope they get fixes and software out to you ASAP

This thread has turned into an 'Anne Robinson watchdog consumer group bitchy moan', when It should be a hack, flash and test fest!

Sorry but needed to get it off my chest.. Can rest now there is solid proof.. will shut my mouth.. sorry again to all who i may have offended.

Edited by tdouble

When I wrote to PCW to air my concerns, they mailed back and asked for info about the issues from me.

I'm guessing these are:

1) Flash (which seems to work, but seems to still be in testing)

2) FUD

Clearly the release was rushed, but it does seem to work. Given the state of returns, flash is probably no longer a priority for Toshiba if there are other issues which need to be investigated - but are the other issues real? (and I'm not blaming you for deciding it is not the right place for your £330, just interested...)

Yeah I was pretty happy with it.

I know it sounds a bit weird to return a product that is generally ok, but yes I took it back as a precautionary measure (mostly)

Toshiba's support has been non existent, you could visualise them shrugging their shoulder as you spoke to them on the phone and I did not like the fact that you had to modify it to get a proper user experience (at least to satisfy me)

It is always true that people (I include myself) will always find time to complain about things, but will be quite silent if the are happy :rolleyes:

I do think that the Toshiba needed some complaining about - both the Launch and the implementation of the hardware and software were Vpoor.

Good luck to those of you who still have one - if they release refurbs on Morgan's for £150 I would snap one up without question. The viewsonic boys in the states are buying them, returning them and the Sears open box policy to resell in the same store is keeping quite a few of them happy :huh: $100 discount in one afternoon

Moving back to this thread - If the Vega is like the Folio (I will take an SD card with a few bits on it into PCW to help prove it :huh: ) I would probably get one - for £80 less and knowing what I know now about the Toshiba it could well be a bargain.

We will have to wait and see what the real final specs are and whether it comes with bl**dy flash or not!

Guest Bisto321
I'm guessing these are:

1) Flash (which seems to work, but seems to still be in testing)

2) FUD

Clearly the release was rushed, but it does seem to work. Given the state of returns, flash is probably no longer a priority for Toshiba if there are other issues which need to be investigated - but are the other issues real? (and I'm not blaming you for deciding it is not the right place for your £330, just interested...)

Thought about returning long and hard - As far as I was concerned it was 'faulty' I have played with quite a few of them mine, PCW Aylesbury, PCW London x 2, PCW Staples corner and they all locked up/froze on me while using them with the Toshiba Interface.

Flash - not a fault but a bloody stupid thing for Toshiba to do

FUD (Fracked Up Display?) Yeah, not good, but you need to take it home away from the store and use it before you can make a real decision - could live with it, but why should I.

Hard Buttons - bit weird beacause they are not really hardware, but they need sorting the frack out (software fix I assume)

And the bloody on/off thing (software again I assume?)

I did like it, but not enough. Just had a play with a Galaxy tab and the quality of the screen is just so much better (but we all knew that), 7 inch is too small though - isn't it?

I think I need to be locked in a room until the Advent is released or the £330 and £100 goodboy tokens are in real danger of going before the 18th.............

I want to be strong, but I insist that someone give me a good android tablet NOW!

In six months time (after lots of updates!) I hope that I did actually own a good one and just returned it too quickly :rolleyes: