Toshiba Folio 100, rooted

Guest SilentMobius

hi i bought a toshiba folio 100 last week for my doughtier for xmas i dont know any thing about them i just opend box looked at it and put it back in box but after reading this threat what should i do return it back to pc world ??

Guest Bisto321
hi i bought a toshiba folio 100 last week for my doughtier for xmas i dont know any thing about them i just opend box looked at it and put it back in box but after reading this threat what should i do return it back to pc world ??

What is she going to use it for?

If it is just for a bit of casual surfing and a bit of movies/music - it should be fine as is, you may just need to follow a few tips posted on here and download the flash app.

Software updates should be on the way and I am sure that before xmas all should be well and then it will be a much better device and capable of much more.

If you are really uncomfortable with holding on to it and you have only opened the box (did not tear the yellow software disclaimer sticker?) then you can return it to PCW for a refund for up to 28days - look on the back of you receipt for more details.

You could do that and watch this thread for updates and more positive news - then go get another!

Guest Wolferstan
Also, to those of you that have not tried this yet, I found on the Galaxy tab forum that if you download spare parts from the market and side load - you should then be able to use it to change 'compatibility mode' and force apps to run full screen B) Did not get to try it myself but others have said it works (not for all apps)

I've been trying to use spare parts to change the 'compatibility mode', but it doesn't seem to have the option. I saw a video of how to do it on the G-tab, but there seems to be lots of options missing. Does anyone know if the device need to be rooted to get these options.

I'm new to this, so I've been apprehensive about rooting so far.

Edited by Wolferstan

I've been trying to use spare parts to change the 'compatibility mode', but it doesn't seem to have the option.

Near the bottom of the list on the front page of spare parts. Not sure if it needs to be set on or off?

Oddly, spare parts will FC on a HTC desire, but can still be sideloaded on the folio from the desire.

Edit: Un-ticking the box causes spare parts itself to run full screen. 10th item down on the menu, under 'general'. You do need to reboot after un-ticking the box.

Edit: http://tegramid.com/wiki/Folio_app_reinstal to collect useful ideas.

Edited by tsh

Guest Wolferstan
Near the bottom of the list on the front page of spare parts. Not sure if it needs to be set on or off?

Oddly, spare parts will FC on a HTC desire, but can still be sideloaded on the folio from the desire.

Edit: Un-ticking the box causes spare parts itself to run full screen. 10th item down on the menu, under 'general'. You do need to reboot after un-ticking the box.

Edit: http://tegramid.com/wiki/Folio_app_reinstal to collect useful ideas.

Hmm, I only seem to have 5 options under general. Window Animations, Transition animations, Font Size, End Button Behaviour, and Display Rotation.

I'm thinking maybe something went wrong on installation, or I may have a duff copy :-(

Hmm, I only seem to have 5 options under general. Window Animations, Transition animations, Font Size, End Button Behaviour, and Display Rotation.

I'm thinking maybe something went wrong on installation, or I may have a duff copy :-(

I grabbed it today from the market.

com.androidapps.spare_parts 'Ad Supported' (R16).

http://www.appbrain.com/app/spare-parts/co...pps.spare_parts

Guest mrhammi
anyone know where i can buy a folio,i know they aint selling them at the mo at pc world.is there anywhere else

Amazon have them listed, but temporarily out of stock, they're also available (at an inflated price at clove.co.uk and pixmania.com).

Hope that helps a bit :-\

(EDIT: My bad, on clove you can search for, and find one, but it then 404s on ya)

Edited by mrhammi

Amazon have them listed, but temporarily out of stock, they're also available (at an inflated price at clove.co.uk and pixmania.com).

Hope that helps a bit :-\

(EDIT: My bad, on clove you can search for, and find one, but it then 404s on ya)

fnac.fr - but they don't ship to the UK. Maybe you know someone in France. PC World had an exclusive in the UK, not sure when that expires now...

ok i went to pc world today they took it back no question asked and they informed me that all of the Toshiba folio will b recalled soon ,,

the guy in the shop told me that next week they will have the advent tablet next week and i is 100 euros cheaper he recond that it will b a far better product

so well i guess will have to get the Advent Vega tablet

Guest steeevo
ok i went to pc world today they took it back no question asked and they informed me that all of the Toshiba folio will be recalled soon ,,

WOW! a recall, there must be a significant H/W problem that they can't get around with a firmware update.

Unexpected and highly embarrassing for Toshiba. This will be big news if they do it!

WOW! a recall, there must be a significant H/W problem that they can't get around with a firmware update.

Unexpected and highly embarrassing for Toshiba. This will be big news if they do it!

Or a shop droid who has no real information. Plenty of us seem to have minimised the problems, but if they need to re-image all their current UK stock, I can imagine that might take some time. DSG are still selling them through pixmania, at a premium (£350, I think)

Guest fonetastic

IF its true......

apparently there is nothing much wrong with the hardware, a dev at xda has been cooking his own rom, and most of the problems are being resolved at a software level!

Guest Bisto321
apparently there is nothing much wrong with the hardware, a dev at xda has been cooking his own rom, and most of the problems are being resolved at a software level!

When I went in to PCW today, the chap also mentioned a full recall. I quizzed him about it and he said that is his understanding, a full recall - may just be flowering up the withdrawal thing though.

Although, If the tosh is i need of a serious bit of flashing to rectify all the issues, they may err on the side of caution and do them all in the factory.

Not all customers would be willing/happy to flash new ROM's and if the power on volume press thing is not done right you end up with a brick - the Dev on XDA found that out the hard way, but seems to have overcome that now and is doing a great job – market is already done!

Don't know if the Tosh update utility would be able to cope with low level rom flashes, the chaps on XDA seem to be all over it and would know I am sure.

Question is, will you give it back if they ask for it? B)

Guest fonetastic
When I went in to PCW today, the chap also mentioned a full recall. I quizzed him about it and he said that is his understanding, a full recall - may just be flowering up the withdrawal thing though.

Although, If the tosh is i need of a serious bit of flashing to rectify all the issues, they may err on the side of caution and do them all in the factory.

Not all customers would be willing/happy to flash new ROM's and if the power on volume press thing is not done right you end up with a brick - the Dev on XDA found that out the hard way, but seems to have overcome that now and is doing a great job – market is already done!

Don't know if the Tosh update utility would be able to cope with low level rom flashes, the chaps on XDA seem to be all over it and would know I am sure.

Question is, will you give it back if they ask for it? B)

Mines still hiding in the house since its not my birthday till friday ;) i must admit ive been close to sending it back but i bought a case for it and named the toshiba - Toby. so im attached :)

I hope you get the advent bisto and report back I just cant see it being that different from the folio though screen wise. I hope im wrong well kinda :)

Guest ElOjodeLaAguja
Anyone know where to find the apk files the service station downloads if so i will upload it here

Hi,

I tried to make rooted the folio 100 but not luck. Please, could you gives link how you rooted folio 100. I'll be very grateful.

Thanks

check out the new topic in the folio thread!

you should check out my mod, it solves pretty much all the software issues, and suddenly Toshiba is not that bad at all :-)

I am very happy with the device now, and Galaxy Tab can go F... o.. , this one is definately perfect, and of course can be improved.!

you should check out my mod, it solves pretty much all the software issues, and suddenly Toshiba is not that bad at all :-)

I am very happy with the device now, and Galaxy Tab can go F... o.. , this one is definately perfect, and of course can be improved.!

send the link Please. B)

• 2 weeks later...