Android on Omnia II - i8000 (18.04.2011)

Guest almar

Guest shoarmabakpao

The current build is already stable enough for me =O

already 309 hours of uptime since last reboot for me. That's almost 2 weeks of running on android without shutting or rebooting my phone. I use a install which goes to My Storage (requires partitioning but is extremely simple for even the unskilled). Just search on google "samsung omnia 2 android XDA" and you will find a XDA thread with a installer to My Storage + video instructions which can be done easily through Windows or it can be done by using Ubuntu.

I use an app called Autokiller Memory which is an free application. Put the settings on aggresive. This will make your android alot snappier and the overal feel will be just ALOT better!

I use Advanced Task Killer to kill tasks (Just a shortcut on homescreen to tap once to kill all active tasks)

I use GoLauncherEx with Sense theme. + Beautifull Widgets sense-like clock with weather animation.

I DO not use SetCPU!

My Omnia 2 looks just like an Stock-Sense device with no lag! It all depends on doing your own research on tweaking an android phone since not all stock-android phones are bug free! So be happy with the current android because it is very stable!

P.S. Every time you reboot you will get more and more bugs. At a certain point it just won't launch android at all so do NOT try to reboot your device on your own when there is no need for it! Whenever you need music, just download it through WiFi from your computer (windows 7 computers support this natively (Homegroup)).

Guest rom_omnia2
The current build is already stable enough for me =O

[...]

P.S. Every time you reboot you will get more and more bugs. At a certain point it just won't launch android at all so do NOT try to reboot your device on your own when there is no need for it! Whenever you need music, just download it through WiFi from your computer (windows 7 computers support this natively (Homegroup)).

That's true! Some time ago with Beta 2 was everything working really fast. But after some reboot's had SOD and got really slow.

Edited by rom_omnia2

Guest Extremegmx

My phone was running it now for four days without rebooting or shutting down. This was the first time the android was working so perfectly ;) but today, my battery was very low (15%) and I weren't home to charge it. damn :P I just hope this doesn't ruin it from running so good. My main battery consumption is standby (63%) and radio (32%). Can I somehow lower the standby consumption ?

Guest Sinistersky
looks like devs abbandoned us,

the hell are you so negative about this? this is a free project...be happy youre lucky to even have something ;)

Guest urkopi
We're quite busy. Next week maybe we start working again.

Start working again? Since when have you stopped working on the project?

I'm not asking out of malice, just to know! :P

Thanks DEVs! ;)

Guest shoarmabakpao

Do not use "ModShop" cheat on GBA emulator with the game Pokemon Emerald! It !*!*!* froze my phone! Dang it did not freeze or whatsoever for like 14 days and right now when my buddy told me, "yeah yeah try that cheat!!!! because his ipod failed on doing the cheat..." and so did my phone freeze.

But it's back on track atm ;) The phone's interface looks stunning with LauncherEx + HTC Sense theme + Autokiller Memory optimizer (makes the phone ALOT snappier!!!)+beautifull widgets-super clock for the sense look-a-like clock XD

Amazing =) No lag just don't try to use that one cheat on your GBA Emulator!

Guest i8000usr

I think it's fine the developers want to not spend every free minute on this project, however, they should not forget that many people are looking for a good or adequate android device that they can use for everyday use. Many of those people are not married to their Omnia 2. The longer it will take for a stable release to show up, the smaller the userbase is going the be to build it for, because these people will just buy a new phone (perhaps an inferior cheap one, with a stable android build).

This froyobuild is not suitable for everyday use in my opinion. The first boot goes fine, but once you get your first freeze the Sleep of Death becomes an issue. The Sleep of Death is a showstopper for everyday usage, as are freezes when using several applications at the same time. Add the battery drainage to that (bit of browsing, facebook, perhaps GPS and it's dead in 3 hours) and the excessive heat generation and I have to conclude that this build is not suitable for daily use, and based on many posts here, most people agree. Off course there are a few lucky guys who somehow magically get better battery life, no SoD, no freezes and perfect performance, but they are not the majority, and after many formats and many different retries I concluded I'm not one of those lucky guys.

I just want a stable android device and I'm even willing to pay for it, but it looks like it isn't going to be my Omnia 2, although it's still a good phone apart from the WM6.5 on it. With a stable build of android on it, it could serve me another one or 2 years i think, since it's still a good phone, but for now I'm going to look into buying a new phone that can serve me another 2-3 years and the Galaxy S2 seems like a good candidate.

Edited by i8000usr

Guest dabiz
I think it's fine the developers want to not spend every free minute on this project, however, they should not forget that many people are looking for a good or adequate android device that they can use for everyday use. Many of those people are not married to their Omnia 2. The longer it will take for a stable release to show up, the smaller the userbase is going the be to build it for, because these people will just buy a new phone (perhaps an inferior cheap one, with a stable android build).

This froyobuild is not suitable for everyday use in my opinion. The first boot goes fine, but once you get your first freeze the Sleep of Death becomes an issue. The Sleep of Death is a showstopper for everyday usage, as are freezes when using several applications at the same time. Add the battery drainage to that (bit of browsing, facebook, perhaps GPS and it's dead in 3 hours) and the excessive heat generation and I have to conclude that this build is not suitable for daily use, and based on many posts here, most people agree. Off course there are a few lucky guys who somehow magically get better battery life, no SoD, no freezes and perfect performance, but they are not the majority, and after many formats and many different retries I concluded I'm not one of those lucky guys.

I just want a stable android device and I'm even willing to pay for it, but it looks like it isn't going to be my Omnia 2, although it's still a good phone apart from the WM6.5 on it. With a stable build of android on it, it could serve me another one or 2 years i think, since it's still a good phone, but for now I'm going to look into buying a new phone that can serve me another 2-3 years and the Galaxy S2 seems like a good candidate.

I was more or less in the same situation as you, and I even unistall the buggy android from my omnia.

Then someone started this post:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...ife-08-06-2011/

and the thing caught my attention again. Maybe is still early but I think I get finally to work with an stable system and a durable battery, the keys in my omnia:

-IL2 phone part

-My storage manual install (this changed totally the behavior of the system, before i just tried the SD installations)

-No-frills CPU control install and set to minimum of 266MHz to avoid SOD

With this and the normal tips as disable wireless connections you will get a very stable rom.

Guest micmac

hello all,

today i sold my O2 and got myself gt-i9003 ;)

so I would like to thank all that been kind to newbie like me in winmo environment :P

thanked to all the chef that been cooking for our beloved O2, and to the dev of android porting to O2,

and i really hope u guys will get a working/stable android for o2,

thank you all :D

Edited by micmac

Guest i8000usr
I was more or less in the same situation as you, and I even unistall the buggy android from my omnia.

Then someone started this post:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...ife-08-06-2011/

and the thing caught my attention again. Maybe is still early but I think I get finally to work with an stable system and a durable battery, the keys in my omnia:

-IL2 phone part

-My storage manual install (this changed totally the behavior of the system, before i just tried the SD installations)

-No-frills CPU control install and set to minimum of 266MHz to avoid SOD

With this and the normal tips as disable wireless connections you will get a very stable rom.

Thanks for your tips, flashed from IL1 to IL2, redid the manual mystorage thing and used No-Frills CPU control at >266MHz, but still I get a burning SoD in my pocket.

These problems need a hardcoded solution, not a medicine man style tweak, however well intended. And since the devs are the only ones capable of doing that, I don't see anything changing very drastically soon. Which is also logical off course for a hobby project for fellow enthousiasts, which I am only to some extent.

Guest rom_omnia2
Do not use "ModShop" cheat on GBA emulator with the game Pokemon Emerald! It !*!*!* froze my phone! Dang it did not freeze or whatsoever for like 14 days and right now when my buddy told me, "yeah yeah try that cheat!!!! because his ipod failed on doing the cheat..." and so did my phone freeze.

But it's back on track atm ;) The phone's interface looks stunning with LauncherEx + HTC Sense theme + Autokiller Memory optimizer (makes the phone ALOT snappier!!!)+beautifull widgets-super clock for the sense look-a-like clock XD

What Web Browser do you use?

Guest rom_omnia2

What Web Browser do you use?

Guest rom_omnia2
I'm using Opera Mini ...

Yeah me too. But is very slow. Opera Mini 5 works amazing in WinMo, fast as a high-end phone. And with Opera Mobile 10 we can watch youtube videos on WinMo.

With Android i can't find a good web browser. Tryed Dolphin HD/Mini, SkyFire, Opera 10/Mini, etc... all crash and works pretty slow.

So far the only good thing on Android is the Market Application, WinMo there's no many apps.

Solved batery problem with CPU AUTO in winMo and CPU Tuner on Android. 66mhz ~ 400mhz in power save mode.

PS: Sorry for the double post. :S

Guest dabiz
Thanks for your tips, flashed from IL1 to IL2, redid the manual mystorage thing and used No-Frills CPU control at >266MHz, but still I get a burning SoD in my pocket.

These problems need a hardcoded solution, not a medicine man style tweak, however well intended. And since the devs are the only ones capable of doing that, I don't see anything changing very drastically soon. Which is also logical off course for a hobby project for fellow enthousiasts, which I am only to some extent.

It is strange, the hardware is the same on yours and mines so the results must be the same. If you want to give it one last chance try again the manual install following this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1090065

I followed it step by step (except the badword ubuntu that gave me problems with almost every step that was related with it...). Using this build really improves a lot the performance on my device. When you are done install no frills CPU control and call light and you should have a very stable android phone...

Guest jroon
I think it's fine the developers want to not spend every free minute on this project, however, they should not forget that many people are looking for a good or adequate android device that they can use for everyday use and the Galaxy S2 seems like a good candidate.

+1

Guest rom_omnia2

Hello, found a very nice application: Button Savior

This application enable virtual buttons on screen! Very usefull, now you don't have to spend your Omnia buttons.

Edited by rom_omnia2

Guest frenkie999999999

The issue of reboot is not completely true.

my device running Android for over 2 months, maybe more than two and half, and I've also had problems with SOD.

Well.

my devices have problems of SOD only under a specific charge of battery (below 10% I SOD).

When for a problem I have to restart by removing the battery, the next reboot I have to do now another reboot (not removing the battery, but with the normal shutdown procedure). And the device will have no problems of SOD.

Of course, after every operation carried out under WinMo, before starting Android, I have to do a soft reset (for my peace of mind).

If I get a text message or a call under WinMo, I do a soft reset before launching Android.

Without these measures, my devices (i8000 and b7610), there are many possibilities that have SOD.

Guest xibianliang
Hello, found a very nice application: Button Savior

This application enable virtual buttons on screen! Very usefull, now you don't have to spend your Omnia buttons.

Thanks for sharing. Never mind! everything is ok after reboot!

Edited by xibianliang