mmoalem

video playback jerky/staters/out-of-sync

hi there all - tried few different players (rock player, arcmedia, yxplayer - could not install vplayer) - and different format videos - xvid, mp4 - different resolutions - all play badly to different degrees. all being out of sync. any idea what can i do to get smoother playback?

stock orange rom. mobile unlocked and rooted. have uninstalled (using titanium backup free) most of the orange apps, used free advanced task manager to terminate processes before playback (about 200 mb free according to this task manager) - nothing helps

cheers

michel

Yes I have a similar issue.........

I'm trying to play xvid tv series..... no player seems to work.... (rockplayer could not use hardware acceleration, I assume because this processor is a generation behind??)

Anyway.... I've read on this forum that some people watch what videos etc

Please help...

Q1. What player do you use?

Q2. Do you convert the video into a different format or re scale the output?

New to Andriod....

Any help appreciated

Thanks T

If your playing mp4's i think there's an issue with the bitrate . my videos would play perfectly on android touchpad ( zenithink zt 180 ) would stutter or wont play at all on the blade

OK here goes...

To play video on your blade you are advised to convert it to the native format of MP4 (with AAC audio).

I use Super Converter (it's free and super...).

Idiot's guide:

Open Super and drag the file/s you wanna convert into the window.

Select MP4 Output Container, H.264/AVC Output Codec, AAC LC Audio Codec

Video

Video Scale Size nochange (Unless source file is higher than 480p aka high-def films, you might wanna reduce this to a matching ratio around 420p)

note - I say 420p cos none of my sources have been higher than this, quality is good and playback smooth.

Aspect and Frame/Sec should match the source (Get source info by double clicking the file within super).

Bitrate should be no higher than source.

Options boxes - Tick Hi Quality, Stretch It, 48k Audio

Audio

Sampling Freq match source

Bitrate no higher than source

Press Encode! (And wait a while...)

For smaller file size - reduce the Video Scale size or Video bitrate.

ps if it's your first time using Super, it default outputs to the same folder as source. Change this by right clicking and choosing Output File Save Management

Even after this guide I expect questions.

Oh and one last point worth mentioning:

Now that you have your videos at native format DO NOT USE players that decode the video themselves (Like Rockplayer and others).

This will produce jerky as hell playback.

I recommend installing mvideoplayer cos it is amazing (Seriously.)

http://www.appbrain.com/app/mvideoplayer/a...nt.mVideoPlayer

You can set custom brightness within the app and ff/rw through videos by swiping screen. You can also make your collection look professional by adding all the relevant posters!

Good luck,

Andy

Out of interest, I coudn't get any smooth, watchable playback using 2.1, or a custom 2.1 rom.

Using gforums 2.2 Froyo rom, the is problem solved and it's perfect now, no sound or picture stutters.

I encoded the .avi movie using the ipod touch/iphone preset within handbrake both times, and viewed using the mVideoPlayer application from the market.

Edited by squidlr

Out of interest, I coudn't get any smooth, watchable playback using 2.1, or a custom 2.1 rom.

Using gforums 2.2 Froyo rom, the is problem solved and it's perfect now, no sound or picture stutters.....

I get the same video probs with madoco roms, where is the gforums for the 2.2 rom?

Does it support Apps2SD? Thats the main reason I'm using madoco Roms...

The Orange rom had great playback, no stutters...

Edited by dadashi

There's is a thread in this forum started by the user gforum, with a link to download the rom.

With Froyo 2.2, it can automatically install or move apps to SD without the need of installing/setting up Apps2SD.

Edited by squidlr

No special partitioning is required for 2.2

really? then how does froyo 2.2 save to the sd card?

I'm using 2.1 modaco R4 and I had to do an ext2 partition for Apps2sd...

Edited by dadashi

Am i being a spaz here or is something else wrong?

i have tried the super converter using the default specs suggested and i cannot get my phone to even see the MP4 file on the SD card let alone play it?

ive tried through the filer and the mvideo player

do i need to rename the file or put it in a special folder? i tried inside a folder and outside still nothing?

strangely though, when i plug the SD back into my computer the file is gone?

Any help would be appreciated

Yes I have a similar issue.........

I'm trying to play xvid tv series..... no player seems to work.... (rockplayer could not use hardware acceleration, I assume because this processor is a generation behind??)

Anyway.... I've read on this forum that some people watch what videos etc

Please help...

Q1. What player do you use?

Q2. Do you convert the video into a different format or re scale the output?

New to Andriod....

Any help appreciated

Thanks T

with rockplayer just play videos in software mode works fine with all vids

I feel like a bit of an idiot,

the kingston 16gb SD card i brought from ebay is either faulty or fake, (probably the latter!)

the music and pics i put on it work fine, but when i put video files on it, some of them get corrupted and hence phone wont recognise them

i put the same video files on the 2 Gb card that came with the phone and they work fine!

Edited by cloudysea

I feel like a bit of an idiot,

the kingston 16gb SD card i brought from ebay is either faulty or fake, (probably the latter!)

the music and pics i put on it work fine, but when i put video files on it, some of them get corrupted and hence phone wont recognise them

i put the same video files on the 2 Gb card that came with the phone and they work fine!

see the post about sdcards

blade has problems with kingston sdcards

it seems only sandisk cards work fine

see the post about sdcards

blade has problems with kingston sdcards

it seems only sandisk cards work fine

Didn't know that.

I've had a 16gb kingston card from day 1 (3 months or so now) and have never had a problem with it. I play movies (in mp4) off it all the time, without any problems.

EDIT: Just found the thread, and it looks like some are ok and some not? Looks like I was one of the lucky ones!!

Edited by synet

Video Scale Size nochange (Unless source file is higher than 480p aka high-def films, you might wanna reduce this to a matching ratio around 420p)

note - I say 420p cos none of my sources have been higher than this, quality is good and playback smooth.

If your watching the videos horizontally then the maximum video height you should use is 400, anything else is a waste quality wise (the phones res is 400p), uses up more cpu power to decode, increases file size for the same quality and lowers image quality versus a native 400p encode due to scaling.

If your watching the videos horizontally then the maximum video height you should use is 400, anything else is a waste quality wise (the phones res is 400p), uses up more cpu power to decode, increases file size for the same quality and lowers image quality versus a native 400p encode due to scaling.

res is 480 not 400 :lol:

sorry to bump an old thread but a lot of you recomend real player but although i can find it on the market it wont download to my phone

any ideas anyone

sorry to bump an old thread but a lot of you recomend real player but although i can find it on the market it wont download to my phone

any ideas anyone

What do you want to do ?

Anyway if you want to play avis use rockplayer or qqplayer