32gb sd and SF

Guest sikhcentral

Guest JolyonS
16gb card works fine.

*Your* 16GB card works fine.

Mine does not.

I would not be surprised if we had another poster whose 32GB card worked fine.

I wouldn't want anyone to head off buying 16GB cards thinking they would be guaranteed to work.

Guest oh!dougal
*Your* 16GB card works fine.

Mine does not.

My cheap but-bought-from-Amazon-themselves-not-the-marketplace Verbatim "class 2" (but pretty snappy) 16gb card does work fine.

Most 'bargin' (sic) flash cards are not the capacity that they appear to be.

Caveat emptor!

Guest JolyonS
My cheap but-bought-from-Amazon-themselves-not-the-marketplace Verbatim "class 2" (but pretty snappy) 16gb card does work fine.

Most 'bargin' (sic) flash cards are not the capacity that they appear to be.

Caveat emptor!

It's a class 4 Integral card bought from Amazon.

As I say the card itself does not seem to be a problem - have copied multi-GB ISO files to it on a PC, formatted it in a Nokia phone - all without problems. I've only had it for a couple of hours so I'll need a bit more time to give it a proper soak with h2testw or similar.

Both Froyo and Eclair Android builds however have a problem with it on my SF - problems I do not get with the supplied 2GB SD card so I don't think I have a dodgy card holder in the phone itself.

Guest JolyonS
Both Froyo and Eclair Android builds however have a problem with it on my SF

Incidentally I installed two different Froyo ROMS, one Eclair ROM and several supplementary ZIPs from this card so the phone clearly can read it - it's only when booted into Android proper that the difficulties start.

Guest That-Guy

Would it not be better to make a "SD Card Compatibility List" and make it a sticky?

The when someone posts a card in the thread that works, one of the mods can move it to the first post B)

Guest sikhcentral
Would it not be better to make a "SD Card Compatibility List" and make it a sticky?

The when someone posts a card in the thread that works, one of the mods can move it to the first post B)

This sounds good. If someone whos got a 32gb card working please tell us the details.

Guest JolyonS

So have run my 16GB card through H2testw and all seems in order - capacity is correct and speed is as expected for a Class 4 card (see below).

So this is a SF and / or Android issue.

As the card works in the phone for ROM loading and with USB connection to a PC and the problems only start when an Android app attempts to use the card I'm leaning towards there being a possible software solution for this.

Test finished without errors.

Writing speed: 4.41 MByte/s

Reading speed: 16.9 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4

Afternoon All

Forgive my noobness! I'm still using the supplied 2Gb card but want to get a bigger one. Presumably 16Gb seems the best option?

Im running the r4 ROM (I think). Do I just need to format the old card and copy the contents to the new one? Or would I need to flash again?

Many Thanks!

MB

I still can't get it to work in my SF, my brother is using it in his nokia 5800.

Anyone here got a 32gb card to work in their SF?

Hi - I have a SanDisk 32GB class 2 that worked perfectly for 6 months in a Blackberry 8900, but I've had problems with it in the SF.

In particular, card removed / card added messages when backing up using Titanium - sometimes comes back as "card damaged"

I have found it to be more stable now I've removed the EXT2 partition and therefore not using A2SD don't know if this is a clue - I still occasionally seem to have problems with the card but without A2SD I obviously don't suffer as much if the card disappears for a bit!

Guest oh!dougal
Forgive my noobness! ...

... Do I just need to format the old card and copy the contents to the new one? Or would I need to flash again?

Not in that order !!!

Get a usb micro sd card reader. (They had them in Poundland at ... £1)

Connect the phone to your computer and 'mount' it as though it were a disk.

Put the new card in the reader attached to your computer and if needed format it (FAT32).

Copy the entire contents of the phone's card to the new card.

Disconnect and dismantle, fit the new card into the phone and Robert should be your Dad's brother.

When you are happy that the new card is working properly - and ONLY THEN - reformat or re-purpose the old card.

Guest BillBong
Not in that order !!!

Put the new card in the reader attached to your computer and if needed format it (FAT32).

Disconnect and dismantle, fit the new card into the phone and Robert should be your Dad's brother.

When you are happy that the new card is working properly - and ONLY THEN - reformat or re-purpose the old card.

Sorry to butt in but I'm going to be doing this too (as soon as my new card arrives). How do I transfer my ext2 contents over to the new card or don't I?

Guest sikhcentral
Hi - I have a SanDisk 32GB class 2 that worked perfectly for 6 months in a Blackberry 8900, but I've had problems with it in the SF.

In particular, card removed / card added messages when backing up using Titanium - sometimes comes back as "card damaged"

I have found it to be more stable now I've removed the EXT2 partition and therefore not using A2SD don't know if this is a clue - I still occasionally seem to have problems with the card but without A2SD I obviously don't suffer as much if the card disappears for a bit!

did your card only come up as damaged when using titanium backup or in general use?

Guest JolyonS

Are you able to get DMESG output from the phone while this is happening?

I'd like to know if you are having the same problem I am.

I get

[11: kmmcd]mmc0: mmc_sd_init_card() failure (err = -110)

[11: kmmcd]mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

logged which is a timeout error.

This does seem to be a common problem for SD cards in Linux.

Guest oh!dougal
Sorry to butt in but I'm going to be doing this too (as soon as my new card arrives). How do I transfer my ext2 contents over to the new card or don't I?

Don't know the official answer.

2 suggestions though

1 - back up the apps on there to normal backups on the fat32 partition, later restore them from those backups ?

or

2 - copy them from the sd card to a linux machine, and then copy them back onto the ext2 part of the new card ?

Just suggestions ....

Not in that order !!!

Thats was a typo! I meant format the new card! Thanks SO much. Will try and get both reader and card ordered and get them to work.

I know this is a whole new topic but whats the best way to get apps on the SD card? A2SD?

Edited by Manbag

Guest oh!dougal

I know this is a whole new topic but whats the best way to get apps on the SD card? A2SD?

The two options are to use some version of A2SD or FroYo (2.2).

2.2 can use standard FAT32 formatting.

A2SD requires a specially formatted partition. And its probably most sensible to do that when its empty.

Myself, I think its highly unlikely that I'd run out of space before FroYo is officially released and nicely worked over by the local gurus.

Apps on the card can wait until then.

Hence, I haven't troubled to partition my card.

YMMV.

did your card only come up as damaged when using titanium backup or in general use?

It was not working properly before I attempted Titanium backup.

Even with A2SD disabled, I still have problems, but more manageable. For example, I was using Winamp to move music onto the SD card, but the phone went into a removed/added/blank cycle after less than 10 tracks tranferred. Using a Sandisk micro SD USB adapter, I had no problems. This was from Windows 7.

Are you able to get DMESG output from the phone while this is happening?

I'd like to know if you are having the same problem I am.

I get

[11: kmmcd]mmc0: mmc_sd_init_card() failure (err = -110)

[11: kmmcd]mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

logged which is a timeout error.

This does seem to be a common problem for SD cards in Linux.

I had a google for DMESG, I can run it from terminal, correct: something like this: echo `dmesg` >> /sdcard/dmesg.txt maybe not to the SD card though!

If you have a link or tip as to how to do that, please let me know.

By the way, I formatted the card in the phone as I've had problems with cameras etc. using cards they haven't formatted. I am using Fat32.

Guest JolyonS
I had a google for DMESG, I can run it from terminal, correct: something like this: echo `dmesg` >> /sdcard/dmesg.txt maybe not to the SD card though!

If you have a link or tip as to how to do that, please let me know.

By the way, I formatted the card in the phone as I've had problems with cameras etc. using cards they haven't formatted. I am using Fat32.

You can use

ADB shell

From your PC when the phone is connected then you can run

dmesg

From that shell.

The two options are to use some version of A2SD or FroYo (2.2).

2.2 can use standard FAT32 formatting.

A2SD requires a specially formatted partition. And its probably most sensible to do that when its empty.

Myself, I think its highly unlikely that I'd run out of space before FroYo is officially released and nicely worked over by the local gurus.

Apps on the card can wait until then.

Hence, I haven't troubled to partition my card.

YMMV.

Many thanks. If I wanted to partition the SD card, how would I go about doing it?