MoDaCo Custom r6 discussion archive

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest 5c00ter

I can confirm, I'm getting the same issue I'm afraid.

Device is definitely in USB debugging mode as I can see the "beatle" in the status bar.

I've also replaced the USB driver with the one supplied in the .zip file.

In Windows Device manager, under USB controllers I see:

Android Debug Bridge Interface

USB Composite Device

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub

When I start "install-windows.bat" from a command shell (same folder as the scripts), I get the following:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon start successfully *

And then nothing. I appears that it's waiting for the Vega to respond indefinitely.

I can see 2 processes under task manager running called "adb-windows.exe" both at 0% cpu and using 2,760K and 2,280K memory respectively.

I also tried the same under Ubuntu/Linux with the same results. after the daemon started, no further output.

The device is running with the last update on 1.03.

Any ideas?

BTW It's Windows XP Service Pack 2 (I know I know ... this was a recently resurrected laptop to get 1.02 & 1.03 updates installed on the vega)

Edited by 5c00ter

Guest debs626

I was having a few probs at first, this is how I managed it

right clicked on ADB in device manager and updated drivers manually (needed to extract the usb drivers for them to be recognised)

Navigated to the "install-windows.bat" right clicked on it and selected "run as administrator"

few seconds later my tablet rebooted

:)

ty ty ty ty ty ty ty Paul you are now my new God B)

Guest captainsensible
I was having a few probs at first, this is how I managed it

right clicked on ADB in device manager and updated drivers manually (needed to extract the usb drivers for them to be recognised)

Navigated to the "install-windows.bat" right clicked on it and selected "run as administrator"

few seconds later my tablet rebooted

:)

ty ty ty ty ty ty ty Paul you are now my new God B)

Are you using Windows 7 64 bit?

I can confirm, I'm getting the same issue I'm afraid.

Device is definitely in USB debugging mode as I can see the "beatle" in the status bar.

I've also replaced the USB driver with the one supplied in the .zip file.

In Windows Device manager, under USB controllers I see:

Android Debug Bridge Interface

USB Composite Device

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub

When I start "install-windows.bat" from a command shell (same folder as the scripts), I get the following:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon start successfully *

And then nothing. I appears that it's waiting for the Vega to respond indefinitely.

I can see 2 processes under task manager running called "adb-windows.exe" both at 0% cpu and using 2,760K and 2,280K memory respectively.

I also tried the same under Ubuntu/Linux with the same results. after the daemon started, no further output.

The device is running with the last update on 1.03.

Any ideas?

BTW It's Windows XP Service Pack 2 (I know I know ... this was a recently resurrected laptop to get 1.02 & 1.03 updates installed on the vega)

I've successfully run thru the process on Mac, Linux AND Windows 32 bit... You could try 'sudo install-linux.sh' on Linux and see if that helps?

P

'Performance Pack' is now in the first post, in the kitchen version only.

Consider this very Beta, but for me it dramatically improves the smoothness and the responsiveness of the device.

P

Guest debs626
Woah, that could have been nasty! :D

P

na lol phone is fine, annoyed It was woken from its nap tho :D

All seems fine and dandy on my Vega, Market working fine, logged in with my account, device synced automatically so all my contacts, calender and gmail came to tablet.

Thanks again Paul :P cant thank you enough LOL

Edited by debs626

Guest 5c00ter

OK resolved issue. Rebooted XP and it started working.

Not sure why Linux won't play ball, but I don't care now as installed successfully.

Nice job Paul !! ;o)

Guest rickyl1985

Let me start by saying, please forgive my complete ineptitude. I'm trying to work through the instructions, haven't got anywhere and I'm stuck already!

First I downloaded the Advent updates: USB update driver, and the 1.02/1.03 updates. Now trying to install the USB driver on the Vega itself, and I've got a screen with a box that has an orange arrow coming out of it, and the Android chap standing next to it. Not sure what it's doing, but it doesn't react to my misguided button pressing. Is it installing? It's been a while now and still no change. Do I go about installing the software updates the same way?

Again, I know next to nothing, and am trying to do this in order to get all the Google goodies on the Vega, which is a present for someone that will really appreciate having the market available to them, but will have even less of an idea than I do how to do it.

Guest 5c00ter
Downloading 1.04 now, will post here as soon as i've updated / tested the add-on.

P

Do you know if the 1.04 update will work with the modaco version of the usb driver? or will I need to update the driver with the Advent supplied driver first to get 1.04 applied?

Cheers

Guest Scanjet

Hi everyone!

Vega came this morning, very prompt I must say! But I am totally miffed at how to update so I can access the Android Market, even the official ones I don't know how to do! So I have downloaded the ROM on my MAC and un-zipped. I have the Vega plugged in by USB... but how to I get it to update, I am so sooo confused! I tried to opening the file on the MAC and it just opens Text Edit and has a load of written information!

As you can tell complete virgin to this sort of thing! Any help on how I actually update will be appreciated!

Scanjet

Edited by Scanjet

Hi everyone!

Vega came this morning, very prompt I must say! But I am totally miffed at how to update so I can access the Android Market, even the official ones I don't know how to do! So I have downloaded the ROM on my MAC and un-zipped. I have the Vega plugged in by USB... but how to I get it to update, I am so sooo confused! I tried to opening the file on the MAC and it just opens Text Edit and has a load of written information!

As you can tell complete virgin to this sort of thing! Any help on how I actually update will be appreciated!

Scanjet

Open 'terminal' on your Mac, and 'cd' to where you unzipped the file. If you unzipped it in the root of Downloads, it'd be 'cd ~/Downloads/'. Then type './install-mac.sh'.

If you haven't unzipped it yet, in terminal, do 'unzip ~/Downloads/r1-vega-modacocustomromaddon-unsigned.zip -d ~/Downloads/r1-vega-modacocustomromaddon && ~/Downloads/r1-vega-modacocustomromaddon/install-mac.sh' to start the process!

P

Guest lnux9898
Hi everyone!

Scanjet

Hey, Paul has made it quite easy.

From the first post of this thread:

To install this ROM:

Ensure you have USB debugging enabled on your device (enabled in Settings->Applications->Development)

If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)

Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac

Connect your device to your PC

At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as appropriate

Wait for your device to reboot!

Given that add-on for 1.04 is in the oven, I would wait until that cookie bakes.

Righty ho - xp is the way forward, i've done it now.

The 1.04 update tweet says they are going to do a soft update over the weekend. Is this easy to incorporate for Paul worshippers?

;-)

The 1.04 update tweet says they are going to do a soft update over the weekend. Is this easy to incorporate for Paul worshippers?

Incorporate how so?

It's just a way of flashing 1.04 without wiping your device I imagine.

P