O2 just sent me unlock code for my Dell Streak!

Guest twe

Good news guys. I hassled O2 last week and this week and they sent me by email an unlock code for my O2 UK locked Dell Streak!

Am using my Vodafone sim card without a rebel sim so it worked. I used the online request service on their website, and they sent it free of charge! Not sure if you get lucky but I quoted the fact that companies out there are giving an unlock solution and the fact that the phone is not exclusive to O2 anymore.

Now I can look into moving to 2.2 :P

edit: cost £15 I think, got to wait for my account to have the info......

Edited by twe

Online form.

Then I got a generic reply via email saying its not available and the phone is exclusive to O2. Then replied to the email saying please do not lie to me and linked them to the site where I can get it unlocked, also said that its not exclusive as Tesco are selling it and finally they said they want to give the best customer service so I said if you were then you would actually have this service for the customer. I got a reply saying they have asked Dell again for my unlock code, and a few days later, i.e. today, they sent me my unlock code.

Online form.

Then I got a generic reply via email saying its not available and the phone is exclusive to O2. Then replied to the email saying please do not lie to me and linked them to the site where I can get it unlocked, also said that its not exclusive as Tesco are selling it and finally they said they want to give the best customer service so I said if you were then you would actually have this service for the customer. I got a reply saying they have asked Dell again for my unlock code, and a few days later, i.e. today, they sent me my unlock code.

cool, thats a break-through and a half! how far into the contract/purchase date are you?

Guest adzman808

i tried this at the end of october & was given the line about it being exculsive to o2

time to try again i am on o2 & not going anywhere in a hurry (i like o2) but locked just annoys me on principle :P

about 1 week total.

Oh I think they might have charged me £15, which is still the cheapest, got to call Vodafone and find out as its not showing online on my account.

Guest fester61

I trust they told you they were going to charge you.

Well I've requested an unlock code, not leaving O2, they have mnany faults but so have the others. Although having said that my contract expires this month, lets see what they have to offer.

... linked them to the site where I can get it unlocked, also said that its not exclusive as Tesco are selling it ...

what is the website i can get the streak unlocked?

i had a chat today thruogh O2 website with any luck ,they said, tesco mobile is part of O2 :P

Guest RichB93
I trust they told you they were going to charge you.

Well I've requested an unlock code, not leaving O2, they have mnany faults but so have the others. Although having said that my contract expires this month, lets see what they have to offer.

I like O2 but might unlock it anyway if possible. Also:

"possibly the only pay as you go streak obtained via an O2 shop" Sorry to burst ya bubble but I bought my Streak PayG from an O2 shop. I paid in cash and they were shocked! :P

what is the website i can get the streak unlocked?

i had a chat today thruogh O2 website with any luck ,they said, tesco mobile is part of O2 :P

Its the one through rebelsim... They have an unlocking service so linked to that as they told me it can't be done so told them they were lieing to me.

Hmmmm. Am wondering what the best method is to get to Steve's 1.4.6 rom?

Am using the Modaco v2.1 release still.

Was thinking using the Official Dell 2.2 pkg > clockwork mod > steves 1.4.6 rom but am thinking the Dell rom will not work due to the baseband being 21 still?

Guest Stephen Hyde
Hmmmm. Am wondering what the best method is to get to Steve's 1.4.6 rom?

Am using the Modaco v2.1 release still.

Was thinking using the Official Dell 2.2 pkg > clockwork mod > steves 1.4.6 rom but am thinking the Dell rom will not work due to the baseband being 21 still?

it should work if you flash correct recovery image :P- otherwise we have ways around that

Cool, lets try and find that recovery image!

Been away from your roms due to the rebelsim issues previously and a few teething problems with the bugs but seems pretty stable now so jumping aboard :P

Guest adzman808

o2 got back to saying it'll cost £15

although i haven't told them it's a streak yet, which will probably draw the "sorry that's exculsive to o2" comment...

will keep you all posted

@twe: What did you put in for the cell number on that form? You mentioned that you got the phone off of eBay, not through O2. You mentioned you're using Vodafone, so did you put in your Vodafone number? I thought of taking the same route, but I don't have a valid O2 number, so I'm not sure they'll even entertain my request! My Streak was also purchased off eBay.

Edited by Edrill

o2 got back to saying it'll cost £15

although i haven't told them it's a streak yet, which will probably draw the "sorry that's exculsive to o2" comment...

will keep you all posted

Yeh that was the first reply I got, just reply back to the email and say others haeve had their Streak unlocked through O2 or something.

@twe: What did you put in for the cell number on that form? You mentioned that you got the phone off of eBay, not through O2. You mentioned you're using Vodafone, so did you put in your Vodafone number? I thought of taking the same route, but I don't have a valid O2 number, so I'm not sure they'll even entertain my request! My Streak was also purchased off eBay.

I used my Vodafone Contract number. Thats why I am not 100% sure it has been billed at £15 on my contract just yet until it updates itself. Vodafone said minimum 3 days so will find out 6th-7th when I call and when they said my bill will be ready.

Guest adzman808
Yeh that was the first reply I got, just reply back to the email and say others haeve had their Streak unlocked through O2 or something.

yeah i'll be pointing out that anything sold unlocked in tesco isn't very exculsive anymore :P

the official criteria also states that the handset must of been on o2 for 1yr first... but i'll see how i get on :D

Guest fester61
I like O2 but might unlock it anyway if possible. Also:

"possibly the only pay as you go streak obtained via an O2 shop" Sorry to burst ya bubble but I bought my Streak PayG from an O2 shop. I paid in cash and they were shocked! :P

I did say possibly :P

How long did it take them to frig the computer system that would only allow sales of streaks on contracts? I went in at 2.30pm, by the time they'd got 3 different salespeople and the manager to try and convince the computer that they could sell it PaYG it was 4.30. ( of course that includes the obligatory 30 mins just waiting to be served in the first place ;) ).

On the 4th June you could only get PaYG streaks from O2 online, according to the computer. Typical daftness from O2

Edited by fester61

Guest fester61

Requested unlock of streak from O2 and got a very curt "Can't do that"

Waiting for their response to my equally curt "WHY"

They did offer me 10 free texts per month???? I get unlimited texts as part of the package (sim only iPhone tariff also with unlimited internet)

Well I used my Vodafone number as I am not with O2, never have been with them.

These are the emails I got from O2

"Thank you for your email. We're sorry to inform you this. The Dell streak can't be unlocked, it's an O2 exclusive handset and we want Dell streak customers to have the best customer experience."

I replied to the email about the fact that I can get it unlocked elsewhere so they were lieing to me, the phone not being exclusive to O2 and not having the best customer experience considering they are not giving the customer any unlocking option.

"I've once again asked for the code to be provided to us for this IMEI, so we should have a confirmation from them & I will confirm the same back to you."

And finally

"Please find your unlatching code below: 0262****"

Which unlocked my phone.....

Hope that helps.