[OLED+TFT] 09/Feb r12: MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM download + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Still no syncing Facebook pictures with existing contacts in the phone book =(

Did some testing, doesn't work with ZTE Contacts and Dailer, and doesn't work with stock dailer. Did a full wipe. Hoping this will get fixed in the future, worked perfectly in R8.

did some testing for the issue with the black boxes in the calls tab (http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=68889)

r10 works fine with ZTE Dialer and ZTE Smartdial

r11 works fine with Stock dialer and GB Theme (small little screaming androids are shown, no arrows)

r11 has blackboxes with ZTE Dialer and ZTE Smartdial with or without GB Theme.

hope i could help, and paul will find this annoying "bug".

Edited by hacki

Guest rochitka

My feedback: Installed r11 (with ZTE dialer and gingerbread stuff) after wipe data+cache.

Issues:

- when connecting USB cable to PC no USB notification appears (battery icon goes to charging though) - so I cannot change it to mount the SD card. USB connection notification worked fine on r10 for me.

- widgetsoid, extended controls and switchpro cannot turn on or off the mobile data connection :-(

- don't see option for FB contacts merging (but this could just be me being a dumb @$$ as I have never had a ROM thus far on this phone which is supposed to be able to do it - and its prob different to how my main phone HTC Desire does it as that has Sense wrapped on top)

Call log seems fine: I have no "boxes" there

Thanks

Edited by rochitka

Guest targetbsp
- when connecting USB cable to PC no option appears to mount the SD card (battery icon goes to charging though)

I dunno if you've come from a previous Froyo or Eclair, so I don't knwo whether you already know this, but on Froyo it appears as a notification rather than the popup that Eclair did. Or at least it does on mine!

Guest rochitka
I dunno if you've come from a previous Froyo or Eclair, so I don't knwo whether you already know this, but on Froyo it appears as a notification rather than the popup that Eclair did. Or at least it does on mine!

Thanks for the heads up - I didn't make it clear that this worked on r10 for me. I will edit my post

did some testing for the issue with the black boxes in the calls tab (http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=68889)

r10 works fine with ZTE Dialer and ZTE Smartdial

r11 works fine with Stock dialer and GB Theme (small little screaming androids are shown, no arrows)

r11 has blackboxes with ZTE Dialer and ZTE Smartdial with or without GB Theme.

hope i could help, and paul will find this annoying "bug".

"r11 works fine with Stock dialer and GB Theme (small little screaming androids are shown, no arrows)"

Same issue here

post-795742-1295393460_thumb.jpg

post-795742-1295393505_thumb.jpg

i'm guessing it's a bug in the framework files confusing the pics

If it helps emo_im_wtf.png should be maximised and emo_im_yelling.png is minimised, I think

wish I could help to fix, but I'm just no good with coding

Guest HELLienadO

No facebook contacts synchro here too, I did a full wipe, it was working on r8, but oddly some contacts pictures wouldn't appear but their respective FB info would.

Metamorph not working but I've just found an app called ZIPthemer that creates flashable zip's from metamorph themes, much cooler n easy to apply those themes =D

EDIT: eeer.. it messed with some apps, not appearing on app drawer anymore ;)

Edited by HELLienadO

Guest james1uk

@flibblesan, Hi. You seen to be the man to ask about this.

regarding the facebook "sync with existing contacts" issue

I read from a few pages back....

QUOTE(jtc42 @ Jan 17 2011, 22:19)

I really wanna know what Fibb has to say about this, given that he had the stock dialer fully working with contact sync running perfectly. He might have some ideas? Especially given this new information

and you replied...

I replaced Contacts and ContactsProvider completely. The files were taken from a Nexus One ROM. Actually most of the system files in my rom have been replaced with files from the Nexus One build FRG83 (2.2.1).

Would this work with this rom or are there other issues involved??

I also remember reading somewhere that you said facebook needs to support your specific handset for facebook to sync properly. So that would make sense to sort of tricking it into thinking its a nexus one.

Because if i go to facebook, then freinds, then click on the box for contacts, menu, edit contacts in r11 its says "facebook contact information is not editable on this device"

Hopefully you can shed some light on this issue. Thanks ;)

oh dont wanna wipe and setup the whole phone again ;)

if there is no other way okay, but i hope there will be another way (and if its only to delete all contact data *g*)

and another question: i thought it was due to the new update, but im missing the "Vibration only" Mode in these Options:

*update* the volume down button only mimics the one option in the power button menu.

so no vibration only mode available in the powerbutton menu, just the silent mode unless the vibration setting is changed to "only in silent mode".

did a wipe too and installed r11 - still the boxes in the Call Tab and no vibration only mode in the powerbutton menu

could it be readded? it would be very nice :)

Guest gambieter
Still only in the Kicthen ;)

There is no point in these kind of posts; if you want access now, then take the Adfree account. If not, you will have to wait until Paul releases it, and posts as above won't help.

It may take weeks before r11 becomes available, probably only if Adfree users have access to r12 in the kitchen.

Guest Rotmann
htc_ime keyboard add space after . is typed

it's very boring

gingerbread keyboard is perfect

In the keyboard settings there is an option to disable, space after separators. It won't add space after "." after that.

Guest armadon

First post, joined Ad Free just to show my appreciation to Paul for his hard work.

I bought the Blade last week and already tried r8, r9, r10 and lastly r11. Compared to the stock rom or other custom roms, I prefer Paul's roms for their stability, speed and support.

Thanks Paul ;)

I took the plunge and installed r11 last night.

Is it possible to use the settings.apk from Jellyfish r7 or above, I liked the power control widget with the sync button.

Has anyone got m.tvcatchup.com working?

Everything I try to play says Error Sorry, this video can't be played.

I also use vlc stream and convert to stream from my laptop, the timeline bar is always empty and 0 minutes, i worked fine in JJ r7.

Guest DarkCounter

Hmm, did something change in the latest versions which affects battery usage? I'm asking, because my blade has been plugged of now for ~5,5 hours and there is only as little as 31% left. And I did use the phone only during my way to work (about half an hour). All the other time the display was switched off, mobile data is on 2g only. Battery usage states Android system uses 95%.

How do I find out, which system components use most of the battery? Possible apps which could cause CPU or network usage are Tweetdeck, Twitter, Regen-Alarm, Maildroid. Any help is appreciated!

Guest Donkey Oaty

My battery usage seems to be a bit higher than on r10 as well. On r10 with 3g off my phone would stay fully charged for hours. On r11 it was dropping 1% every 10mins. I've gone back to r10 now and will try r11 again later

Where is the Exchange support? Don't see it under Accounts as an option to add? The Alpha releases had support. Or do I have to install an extra package?

Using R11.

Guest blue25i

thanks for the newest release, paus - BUT big problem:

flashed r11 & done full wipe - cant connect my google account/market/maps using edge/3g. working only on wifi.

tried to first connect using edge/3g but was not working too ;)

any suggestions?

Guest extremedigital

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, however for me its a little buggy so i back off to KK JellyFish RLS8

The main issue i am having with all roms including this and JellyFish is the Facebook sync, if you set it to only update your existing contacts nothing shows, if you set it to sync all then all your facebook contacts do show however you cannot 'merge' two contacts togeather no matter what you try.

So i have gone back to the drawing board, and actually set up my gmail account to sync my contacts properly. It means that i edit the contacts on my computer from my gmail and the changes are reflected on the phone almost instantly. It also mean that i can manually add a photo to my contacts either via a local picture or better still from a url...So whilst it take a little more effort i can copy and paste the photos i have on facebook and assign one to each contact. You can also use other sites like picassa but i find copying the url of a facebook photo easier for now.

So i can at last forget about trying to sync my facebook contacts with my phone contacts.

However this Rom has a few tiny niggly issues already mentioned in the thread mainly some icons are showing either blank with the smart dialler or some funky little funny eyed-men with the stock dialler.(or vice versa i am soo romm'd out i can't remember which way around it was)

Secondly coarse location is not as accurate in this rom, if using just the cellular triangulation for some reason, if i switch on wifi then it is spot on, However with other roms i am getting better result with wifi off and just the cellular on.

Once again thanks Paul for all your work becoming Ad-Free to use this rom was worth it but for now i think i have played around too much with my phone and i suppose i need to go back to actually having a phone i can make calls with for a while rather than choping and changing roms especially as the current batch of roms require a wipe LOL ;)

In some ways too much choice is a bad thing and perhaps its time the devs started thinking about merging their roms into one super rom ? for starters i can see that fibblesan is already putting his efforts toward this rom.

Edited by extremedigital

Wow, lots of posts! ;)

Right, let's try and deal with all the ones I can see:

- When will r11 prebake be available - as soon as this is stable and I don't need to make small changes quickly

- Unable to add Google account on Edge / 3G - I don't see this, I just added an account successfully on a mobile data connection

- Corrupt icons in call log - will investigate this

- Contacts unable to merge - will investigate this

- Facebook pics not syncing - could someone clarify - it's not overwriting existing pics or not syncing at all?

- No vibration option in power menu - this probably appears if you use the 'ZTE lockscreen'. I can probably port this over in time

- Menu unlock option no longer in the kitchen - this is now selected as default due to customised framework complexities (GB skin etc)

- Gingerbread keyboard setting to default - I don't see this at all

- Metamorph not working - i'll need more info on this

- Messaging app not switching to German - I think I know the fix for this, i'll check it out

I think a lot of the 'contact sync issues' are caused by using a SmartDialer compatible ContactsProvider, but I also know a lot of people like the SmartDialer (me included). Bah. :)

P

Guest stuartrace
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, however for me its a little buggy so i back off to KK JellyFish RLS8

The main issue i am having with all roms including this and JellyFish is the Facebook sync, if you set it to only update your existing contacts nothing shows, if you set it to sync all then all your facebook contacts do show however you cannot 'merge' two contacts togeather no matter what you try.

So i have gone back to the drawing board, and actually set up my gmail account to sync my contacts properly. It means that i edit the contacts on my computer from my gmail and the changes are reflected on the phone almost instantly. It also mean that i can manually add a photo to my contacts either via a local picture or better still from a url...So whilst it take a little more effort i can copy and paste the photos i have on facebook and assign one to each contact. You can also use other sites like picassa but i find copying the url of a facebook photo easier for now.

So i can at last forget about trying to sync my facebook contacts with my phone contacts.

However this Rom has a few tiny niggly issues already mentioned in the thread mainly some icons are showing either blank with the smart dialler or some funky little funny eyed-men with the stock dialler.(or vice versa i am soo romm'd out i can't remember which way around it was)

Secondly coarse location is not as accurate in this rom, if using just the cellular triangulation for some reason, if i switch on wifi then it is spot on, However with other roms i am getting better result with wifi off and just the cellular on.

Once again thanks Paul for all your work becoming Ad-Free to use this rom was worth it but for now i think i have played around too much with my phone and i suppose i need to go back to actually having a phone i can make calls with for a while rather than choping and changing roms especially as the current batch of roms require a wipe LOL ;)

In some ways too much choice is a bad thing and perhaps its time the devs started thinking about merging their roms into one super rom ? for starters i can see that fibblesan is already putting his efforts toward this rom.

Have you heard of the app SyncMyPix? http://www.doubletwist.com/apps/android/sy...roid.syncmypix/ You allow it access to the facebook app and it pulls down pictures from your facebook friends and matches them to the contacts on your phone (for which I use Google Contacts, as you metnion in your post). It does a fairly good job of matching names (they don't all necessarily have to be a perfect match), plus you can tie/merge two together manually for those it misses. The only downside is that it doesn't keep the photos up to date without doing a full sync again.

The native facebook-google sync would be the ideal solution (once it's all fixed 'n' working), but I think this app helps a bit for now!

Guest XenoPhoenix

- Facebook pics not syncing - could someone clarify - it's not overwriting existing pics or not syncing at all?

@Paul:

If you select sync contacts, I get duplicate contacts with photos from Facebook that don't merge with the ones on my phone.

If I select only sync existing contacts, I get nothing. No photos or data is added to existing contacts.

Hope that clarifies ;)

Edited by XenoPhoenix