[OLED+TFT] 09/Feb r12: MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM download + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest punkmilitia
Maybe you should go looking for a (additional) job instead of constantly upgrading your mobile and wasting your time?

This is the 1st phone I have brought in 4 years. I have been looking for a job for 2 years but live in south England where it's near enough literally impossible to get a job even though I have a B in Maths and an A in English.

And NO, it is not a fair question, it is moaning. There are rules, you know them, no use to complain... especially in a such unconstructive ways.

What? That's silly. his question directly wasn't fair but the question as to when a new version would be available is.

IMHO, Paul is doing everybody a favour by not releasing something that isn't finished. I have add-free(access to the kitchen) yet I prefer and use r7, because everything works for me. I know that R8- releases are under heavy development and I'll wait till they are stable again.

Hey, I agree whole heartedly he's doing everyone a favour here, I did mention that in a few of my last posts.

This is starting to get into a little flame war, so let's just end it here before it gets out of hand.

Shaun

Edited by punkmilitia

Ok, good for you, but.... :lol:

Thing is.... I imported those vcf (vcards) from my sdcard.... :)

They have nothing to do with google mind you.... :)

There was no need to import them.

Once you have contacts in your phone, they automatically get uploaded to your google account

As soon as you flash a new rom and sign into the google account it downloads all the contacts you previously had (this may take a few minutes to complete but it does happen)

If you then add more by importing from sd card you will have double the amount of contacts

it will assume they are new contacts and upload them again

Then the next time you flash a new rom it downloads all the contacts which are already double what you originally started with, and then if you import from the sd card it will triple the number

and so on

and so on

The simple thing to do - when you get your first Android phone put your contacts in manually, or import from SD card or however you like and then do not import them ever again, if you flash a new rom google will put them back for you.

And Yes I fell into that trap by not knowing until I had 3 times the amount of contacts I started with and then searched for the answer

The answer is as stated above, go into your google account on the computer and merge all your contacts, or manually delete duplicates.

Guest t0mm13b
There was no need to import them.

Once you have contacts in your phone, they automatically get uploaded to your google account

As soon as you flash a new rom and sign into the google account it downloads all the contacts you previously had (this may take a few minutes to complete but it does happen)

If you then add more by importing from sd card you will have double the amount of contacts

it will assume they are new contacts and upload them again

Then the next time you flash a new rom it downloads all the contacts which are already double what you originally started with, and then if you import from the sd card it will triple the number

and so on

and so on

The simple thing to do - when you get your first Android phone put your contacts in manually, or import from SD card or however you like and then do not import them ever again, if you flash a new rom google will put them back for you.

And Yes I fell into that trap by not knowing until I had 3 times the amount of contacts I started with and then searched for the answer

The answer is as stated above, go into your google account on the computer and merge all your contacts, or manually delete duplicates.

Oh! Cheers for that but there's a side I did not know about....

Are you meaning to tell me google uploaded my contacts on my handset with out my knowledge? this is getting a bit .... iffy here now that you've mentioned it.... so indirectly I have consented google to faff around with my contacts without my knowledge.... I do not recall seeing anything about VCF's or VCards anywhere..... and ticking on that as part of a legal binding agreement.... meh....

I am actually stunned by that.... had no idea....

Thanks for the heads up... Much appreciated... must look into this....

Amended: My thoughts...

And yes, I found them on the google's mail website page....

That I can see what you're saying yes, have removed the duplicates from there and then... but... I am thinking in terms of privacy, those contacts *SHOULD* never have slipped out to the site all the while not knowing about it, it's fine to say "Yeah, but why you think google asks for your id etc" and counter argue my statement, I say that's simply bizarre and not good enough .... I am actually shocked to see that my private personal contact information ended up on their server without having any knowledge of "transmission" of information going across it.... that's appallingly bad enough.... if you want to argue back and say "Yeah, google is yadadadada.....so what".... either you don't care or give a s**t about it and not value your basic entitlement to privacy....

I know it sounds like a philosophical debate but tbqh, there is a *ZERO* mention about that anywhere and when a person (average Joe Soap who knows nothing about computers, and buys an android handset) that Joe Soap is going to be extremely disturbed to see *ALL* his contacts being uploaded....

That's my thought... :S

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest extremedigital
Oh! Cheers for that but there's a side I did not know about....

Are you meaning to tell me google uploaded my contacts on my handset with out my knowledge? this is getting a bit .... iffy here now that you've mentioned it.... so indirectly I have consented google to faff around with my contacts without my knowledge.... I do not recall seeing anything about VCF's or VCards anywhere..... and ticking on that as part of a legal binding agreement.... meh....

I am actually stunned by that.... had no idea....

Thanks for the heads up... Much appreciated... must look into this....

Hi t0mm13b yes i only recently found out myself that there is no need to either use tintanium backup or export to a vcf file on your sdcard. I was having the same problem of some contacts doubling up after i used titanium backup to restore my contacts, and i couldn't figure out why so previously i just switch off syncing on the Gmail contacts.

If you take the time to setup your Gmail contacts properply and set to sync then Google will immediately drop the contacts on the phone on reboot. You can even go further and add photo to your contacts and alot more info than you can do on the phone directly.

Hope that helps......It is a much nicer way to manage your contacts plus you dont have to worry about restoring them if you wipe your phone. However it is stil advisable to have a manual backup somewhere i suppose you just need to use it. However i totally get your concerns i certainly don't think of myself as Joe average when it comes to techie stuff in fact i would say i know a fair bit LOL but i didnt even pick up on that for a long time and i am sure most people would not have done so.

Edited by extremedigital

Yes, r11, and yes gingerbread, although I now use Frankish's galaxy S theme.

I am facing the black boxes problem too using ZTE dialer, Gingerbread theme R11

The problem doesn't seem to be with calls in, calls out, missed call icon. Its with expand/collapse details icon. You can also see the same black box in edit contacts view where there is supposed to be a expand details icons.

That I can see what you're saying yes, have removed the duplicates from there and then... but... I am thinking in terms of privacy, those contacts *SHOULD* never have slipped out to the site all the while not knowing about it, it's fine to say "Yeah, but why you think google asks for your id etc" and counter argue my statement, I say that's simply bizarre and not good enough .... I am actually shocked to see that my private personal contact information ended up on their server without having any knowledge of "transmission" of information going across it.... that's appallingly bad enough.... if you want to argue back and say "Yeah, google is yadadadada.....so what".... either you don't care or give a s**t about it and not value your basic entitlement to privacy....

I know it sounds like a philosophical debate but tbqh, there is a *ZERO* mention about that anywhere and when a person (average Joe Soap who knows nothing about computers, and buys an android handset) that Joe Soap is going to be extremely disturbed to see *ALL* his contacts being uploaded....

That's my thought... :S

It's only done if you select to sync them, I don't use gmail but I have a google account and an included gmail account that I set up some time ago for google analytics (yeah I'm one of them spying/tracking your e-movements!). I used my google account obviously when I set up my SF but never set it to sync and none of my contacts have been sent to gmail. It's honestly right there in plain English on whether you want to sync, choose no and it doesn't (or it least it doesn't inform us that it does!)

If you're worried about it, turn off syncing then log into gmail and delete the contacts from there and don't worry about looking silly in your tin foil hat :lol:

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest t0mm13b
It's only done if you select to sync them, I don't use gmail but I have a google account and an included gmail account that I set up some time ago for google analytics (yeah I'm one of them spying/tracking your e-movements!). I used my google account obviously when I set up my SF but never set it to sync and none of my contacts have been sent to gmail. It's honestly right there in plain English on whether you want to sync, choose no and it doesn't (or it least it doesn't inform us that it does!)

If you're worried about it, turn off syncing then log into gmail and delete the contacts from there and don't worry about looking silly in your tin foil hat :lol:

:) might just do that...

But you know something - aint they a bit of a sly sneaky one, if you have the autosync switched off and then you set up your google account, it "automatically sync" and then forget about it - that's the surprise there.... :)

Meh, might as well have droidwall reconfigured to prevent the "sneaky transmission of contacts" across the void..... ;)

Edited by t0mm13b

I have to admit I really didn't like the idea of the contacts being uploaded to Google at first

but when I sat down after a few days and thought about it I realised what a brilliant idea it actually was.

In the past I have struggled to swap contacts from one phone to another, nowadays most have bluetooth so it's not "TOO much" of a problem but it still can be with certain phones.

This way you simply sign into your account with a phone and a few mins later your contacts arrive - brilliant

Now imagine how brilliant that is if your on the other side of the world on holiday or working and your phone gets lost/stolen, you simply borrow or buy a new Android phone sign into Google and a few minutes later you have your contacts back - again brilliant.

If you borrow a phone, the same thing, once it goes back to it's owner do a reset and they are gone, or once they sign into their account it gets replaced with their contacts.

Google don't publish the contacts or give them to others its just held on their servers. Yes they may do data mining and compare who's got who as a contact in the world but does it really matter? the only thing that matters is your contact info is safe and it's available to you anywhere in the world (apart from China I think)

Guest SqueakyG
Try another rom then. There are other Froyo roms that are completely free. Paul has said that prebaked r11 will be released when it's classed as stable. There was a quick jump from r7 through to r11 for a reason...bug fixes. That's why it has happened the way it is. At the end of the day you don't NEED this. You want it and can't be patient at all. If you need a rom that's stable go back to stock 2.1...

I can't afford adfree either as i have a baby girl on the way but Paul gave me it as a gift for my contributions. Maybe if your contributions were more helpful than whining... This is just more proof that Paul isn't just after everyone's money.

Hi,

As a newbie around here I have to admit that I'm quite confused by all this "kitchen" and "prebake" stuff. I had to ask around to learn what it meant, and I'm still not sure about the ideology behind the release numbers. So please don't be too hard on people who ask when r11 will be free.

For example, there are bugfix lists for r8, r9 and r10, but only a download link for r7. Don't you agree that a newcomer to this ROM would wonder why? And perhaps they would assume that prebake is always 4 releases behind the paid version?

Also, when Paul fixes all the reported bugs for r11, isn't it natural to assume he would make another kitchen release called r12? But people seem to be saying he will fix these bugs for a prebake r11.

It's not the easiest stuff to get a grip on. I've never installed a custom ROM before and I'm working up the courage to do it. I'm reading everything I can and trying to learn all about it, but even if I get the nerve to do it, I will never enjoy the culture of trying out lots of ROMs... I don't want the hassle of setting up my phone from scratch every week or every month. Once I put a 2.2 ROM on there, it's going to have to stay there for a while! I think I would like to choose Paul's ROM, because Japanese Jellyfish has too many reports of worse battery life. So I'm waiting for a version of Paul's ROM that is considered excellent. But it's kind of frustrating to see lists of bugfixes for releases through to r11, when only r7 is available.

Put as simply as I can and I understand it

the releases start at 1 which are the the rest releases and labelled as A or R

A being Alpha (not ready for general use but ok to test) and R as in release fine to use

At the moment the rom is almost ready for general use and will be released proprerly prebaked as either R11 or R12 or even higher

The prebake is the most stable release available for anyone who is not a member of the site- ie it contains standard components

The Kitchen allows you to "bake" your components, ie if you want or dont want certain apps in the rom you select it here and out pop's a customised rom for you.

Once the rom is stable and confirmed working properly with no faults opr just very minor ones then Paul will update the prebake to the same as the Kitchen usually, but until it's stable he pushes the new updates out in the kitchen first so those that want to test it can do so.

I cannot speak for Paul or anyone else who runs this site but from my understanding I think that's about as right as I can put it - feel free to change anything I got wrong.

Guest daniel2k10

does anyone else have the bug (I have it in every froyo rom) that in the messaging app, the own contact photo is not shown, although I have myself in my contact list.. does anyone have an idea how to fix that?

does anyone else have the bug (I have it in every froyo rom) that in the messaging app, the own contact photo is not shown, although I have myself in my contact list.. does anyone have an idea how to fix that?

Works fine for me.

I set it in the message app by long pressing the icon, saying that I also updated it on google mail and it synced fine and is showing.

Edited by Ibcus

Number ported by any chance? Long Press the picture and add the number to your contact details.

Guest StevenHarperUK
So I'm waiting for a version of Paul's ROM that is considered excellent. But it's kind of frustrating to see lists of bugfixes for releases through to r11, when only r7 is available.

Pauls ROM is slightly different as it can be built custom for you in his "kitchen" the second post on this thread.

However only people that pay to subscribe can use the kitchen.

Paul does provide pre-baked ROMS that ANYONE can download (currently r7).

If you really want to get the latest r11, then you should consider subscribing to a ad-free membership.

If you really don't want to pay, then I highly recommend Jellyfish - just don't overclock it.

I get over 1 days normal usage and nearly 2 some days.

Guest daniel2k10
Works fine for me.

I set it in the message app by long pressing the icon, saying that I also updated it on google mail and it synced fine and is showing.

does not work for me :lol: long pressing the icon does not cause a reaction, although my number is surely correct in my contacts list... any other ideas?

Guest nedian05
does not work for me :lol: long pressing the icon does not cause a reaction, although my number is surely correct in my contacts list... any other ideas?

I tried just now and it worked. when you long press the icon, it will ask you to add as a contact. Add it and than add picture.

Guest daniel2k10
I tried just now and it worked. when you long press the icon, it will ask you to add as a contact. Add it and than add picture.

it does definetely not work for me: I can even send myself an sms and have my picture with my name then shown correct....

maybe it has something to do with that in phone info it shows "my number" is "unknown"

Edited by daniel2k10

it does definetely not work for me: I can even send myself an sms and have my picture with my name then shown correct....

Try deleting yourself ( :lol: ) and add it again.

I've updated to r11, thanks Paul.

Only problem is that I cant call anyone!

Stock dialler, full signal etc but immediately goes "call ended" when I try and ring a number. Also get those square boxes on call log list as mentioned by previous posts.

Any possible solutions?