[OLED+TFT] 09/Feb r12: MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM download + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

I am running r7 and am experiencing afew problems.

- Titanium restore keeps freezing

- Cant make outgoing calls

- After sending text's it errors out but texts get sent

I installed the latest version on Clockwork, cleared cache and factory settings when upgrading from r4.

Guest Shadey1
Pretty sure I know the cause of the Dialer problem.

Fix (non wipe) will be online Monday... r9 with a couple of other tweaks!

P

Ah ha thank you jsut flashed it this morning sat in the office, it was confusing the crap outta me lol

Guest SniperZoz

Just installed R8 - apart from the caller id think it was working fine for an hour ... now i can't install anyting from the market - it will download it but when it get's to the installation the phone simply reboots! Was on R4 before - no issues.

Will wait for R9 anyway ... but does anyone else have this issue?

UPDATE: i think i found a pattern - it only crashes/reboots for those apps which install on the SD by default - the others are fine .... but if I try the move to sd function, same thing - it reboots! R8 issue or funny SD card!?

UPDATE 2: after a while i realized the messaging app was not working too (i mean it was never working on r8) ... did another wipe and now everything works (well - apart caller id which is a known issue) - so looks like it makes sense to wipe before and after installing r8.

Waiting for simple caller id fix now!

Edited by SniperZoz

Paul,

Any chance of a fix for the "Download" folder issue in r9? I just loaded r8 and I can see that the "Download" folder on the SD card still gets wiped clean after a reboot. This is the folder that Gmail saves attachments to etc.

Cheers.

I'll look into this. ;)

P

Where did you get the AR6000 driver? the version I have is broken... :) (was obtained from openmoko... not exactly functional)

Will have to set CONFIG_MODVERSION for the custom kernel as that has the debugging/profiling and general noises silenced, so that it can use your driver....

Amended:

Nope! The Wifi fails in this case despite the mod versioning is set...

FYI and benefit, any chance of including this tweaked configuration - it eliminates a lot of noise from driver level, spurious debug messages and removes kernel profiling...

The only thing is this, I have used the github branch for ZTE-BLADE-2.6.32...

The reason I think it could speed it up a bit is the kernel is generating too much noise, and a slow-down... maybe not noticeable to us, but in terms of milliseconds within the handset running... might have an unexpected side effect of longer battery as less noise is generated.... ;)

Ah yes, I planned to change those debug settings, i'll do it in the next release.

P

Paul, please post a flashable zip with the dialer fix today, because a lot of r8 users want it ;)

A lot of thanks,

Hungarian ZTE Blade Community

Sorry, I don't post updates at the weekend as a rule, family time. As soon as I have some time on Monday (other work allowing)!

P

I did the sql stuff and that worked.

Sorry, I don't post updates at the weekend as a rule, family time. As soon as I have some time on Monday (other work allowing)!

P

SO replacing the apk probably wont work on this? And do you have 2 versions of the dialer? Some people do seem to have the ZTE T9 dialer AND the stock android one. Just not sure what the situation is :/

Edited by jtc42

Guest yeawhatever
SO replacing the apk probably wont work on this? And do you have 2 versions of the dialer? Some people do seem to have the ZTE T9 dialer AND the stock android one. Just not sure what the situation is :/

Running r8 since last night on mine and misses phones... everything working fine

Seriously guys, dont let the dialler issue worry you

1) set working dialler to be default. Problem solved with crashes of other dialler as it will not be used (I even used launcher pro settings to hide the app off misses phone so she cant even click it by mistake)

2) The sql fix is sooo easy to do. I think all this sql talk and adb might worry some people. First get android sdk toolkit and then you will have everything you need.

Once its installed, open up windows cmd, and then cd (change directory) to the tools folder of the sdk folder you just installed (mine is C:\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools)

once you have done that, simply follow the exact commands that have already been posted. I used adb wireless app on my blade to make it easier as I couldnt be bothered to fetch USB cable. All in all, it probably took about 10 minuits to update both phones.

Remember Paul has to have a life, so rather than bugging him for an update before monday, why dont you try and learn something....remember if your not 100% sure on what you are doing, ask....and of course perform a nandroid.

Running r8 since last night on mine and misses phones... everything working fine

Seriously guys, dont let the dialler issue worry you

1) set working dialler to be default. Problem solved with crashes of other dialler as it will not be used (I even used launcher pro settings to hide the app off misses phone so she cant even click it by mistake)

2) The sql fix is sooo easy to do. I think all this sql talk and adb might worry some people. First get android sdk toolkit and then you will have everything you need.

Once its installed, open up windows cmd, and then cd (change directory) to the tools folder of the sdk folder you just installed (mine is C:\android-sdk_r07-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools)

once you have done that, simply follow the exact commands that have already been posted. I used adb wireless app on my blade to make it easier as I couldnt be bothered to fetch USB cable. All in all, it probably took about 10 minuits to update both phones.

Remember Paul has to have a life, so rather than bugging him for an update before monday, why dont you try and learn something....remember if your not 100% sure on what you are doing, ask....and of course perform a nandroid.

Thanks. Im not bugging Paul for a fix, Im just wondering if the other contact name fix applies to this ROM, but it seems noone has tried it. Which dialer is the working one? The ZTE or the stock one? And is it possible to just remove the one that doesnt work?

I'll try the sql fix some time today if the contacts.apk fix doesnt stand a chance, or just stick with FLB until R9 is out ;)

Thanks for the help :)

Thanks for this.

Broke my nexus one and found out 14days for repair so got emergency "Orange San Francisco".

Have rooted it and put r8 and it runs like a dream.

Only two problems so far.

* Number only shows up when I get an incoming call

* ZTE Dialer app force closes.

And is it possible to enable "CONFIG_UID_STAT" for the kernel config?

Guest t0mm13b
Thanks for this.

Broke my nexus one and found out 14days for repair so got emergency "Orange San Francisco".

Have rooted it and put r8 and it runs like a dream.

Only two problems so far.

* Number only shows up when I get an incoming call

* ZTE Dialer app force closes.

And is it possible to enable "CONFIG_UID_STAT" for the kernel config?

The problem is this: the sources are kept in "secret", I tried to build my own kernel with tweaked settings to suit myself.... but .... where's the sources... have been banging about this AR6000 driver which is vital and I think should be published for the benefit of the community and not held back by "secrecy" ... ffs... my tweaked kernel breaks on the wifi because the "versioning" is incompatible... even though I have explicitly set MODVERSION on it...

Just installed R8 after having r4 2.1for to loooong. Everything seems fine apart from the dialer problem already described. Tried the sql fix and that worked like a charm.

Just installed R8 after having r4 2.1for to loooong. Everything seems fine apart from the dialer problem already described. Tried the sql fix and that worked like a charm.

Can you not set the other dialer to be the default? Seems to be the only real solution so far from what I've read (I dont wanna install it until I know if I can use the stock dialer fully working >.<)

Guest yeawhatever
Thanks. Im not bugging Paul for a fix, Im just wondering if the other contact name fix applies to this ROM, but it seems noone has tried it. Which dialer is the working one? The ZTE or the stock one? And is it possible to just remove the one that doesnt work?

I'll try the sql fix some time today if the contacts.apk fix doesnt stand a chance, or just stick with FLB until R9 is out ;)

Thanks for the help :)

The working dialler is the stock android one (it has a white border round it, and appears in app drawer as "Phone". As far as I know, its the ZTE one ("dialler") that is borked. If you use launcher pro, then just hide that app, and set the working one to be default. Problem solved

I looked into using fibbs fix for contacts, but after bit of unproductive tinkering, someone had posted a fix in the terms of the sql fix.... so I just went with that.

Guest flatnote31

As always, brilliant work Paul!

I've noticed something ODD!, for some reason, GPS won't lock, even with 11 sats connected! With the now-very-old 2.1-MCR-r4, it only took like 8 to 11 seconds to lock.

I monitor it through GPS Status. checked GPS.conf and it looks alright to me!

I wonder what's causing this.

cheers

Edited by flatnote31

The problem is this: the sources are kept in "secret", I tried to build my own kernel with tweaked settings to suit myself.... but .... where's the sources... have been banging about this AR6000 driver which is vital and I think should be published for the benefit of the community and not held back by "secrecy" ... ffs... my tweaked kernel breaks on the wifi because the "versioning" is incompatible... even though I have explicitly set MODVERSION on it...

AFAIK the ar6000 sources have never been released... ;)

P

I selected the menu button unlock when i created the rom ... is there a way to toggle this on/off?

Sadly not, it's a framework setting. Altho, actually, I could probably abstract it from there... *ponders*

P

Guest t0mm13b
AFAIK the ar6000 sources have never been released... ;)

P

Thanks Paul for the heads up... darn..... :)

I am not having a go at you or anything like that - it's just frustration that when I tweak my own build of kernel, it borks on that module.... :D

Can you not set the other dialer to be the default? Seems to be the only real solution so far from what I've read (I dont wanna install it until I know if I can use the stock dialer fully working >.<)

Yup, you can set it up as default. The ZTE one doesn't work. If you do this you will only be left with the "just the phone number appearing" issue when you call someone or when someone calls you. This can be easily fixed by running the sql solution described earlyer in this thread.