New Vega user

Guest jonaldhinio

Guest jonaldhinio

Hello to you all,

I have just purchased my Advent vega online from currys and fingers crossed should turn up this week at some point.

I have been watching these posts for sometime and decided to join cause its interesting times with this tablet.

Anyway my reason for posting is I would like to put the Android market place on my Tablet and watch movies and play games,now I see you have created a custom rom,which I understand will do the job,is this rom free? being new to this is it easy to do?

I have also purchased a 32gb micro sd card,but got to admit ladies and gents I am new to this but I would like to get the most out of my new investment.

You probably have many posts like this but I would appreciate your help

regards Jon

Yes the rom is free although if you like it and want it to improve I'd suggest you subscribe to the ad-free membership to assist financially in the future development.

Yes it's easy to do, the hardest step is to get your computer to communicate correctly with the Vega via adb, but once you've done this it's plain sailing. I also understand the ClockworkMod Recovery app in the market will allow you to easily upgrade with the latest releases of the Custom ROM without the need to connect via adb to your computer, oh and backup your complete system before upgrading too. Although it's not completed yet.

Cheers

Edited by castab

Guest jonaldhinio
Yes the rom is free although if you like it and want it to improve I'd suggest you subscribe to the ad-free membership to assist financially in the future development.

Yes it's easy to do, the hardest step is to get your computer to communicate correctly with the Vega via adb, but once you've done this it's plain sailing. I also understand the ClockworkMod Recovery app in the market will allow you to easily upgrade with the latest releases of the Custom ROM without the need to connect via adb to your computer, oh and backup your complete system before upgrading too. Although it's not completed yet.

Cheers

Hello,

Many thanks for that I have taken your advice and just paid £9.99 to subscribe as I am fully commited to assist financially in the development of new roms etc etc.

Is there an idiots step by step guide to installing this rom?

Once installed is there apps in he market place for movies games etc etc?

Sorry for all the questions but quite excited as the Android system is new to me.

cheers Jon

Yep, idiots guide here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/

I'm an idiot and I managed it once I got adb to play nicely. - adb'll be your toughest problem but you cant brick your vega doing this so no worries. see here for adb details and fix http://android.modaco.com/content-page/324...update/page/60/

You can get an idea what apps are available from here: http://www.android.com/market/. & yes, you can install games and you can copy your movies to the tablet to view using a video player, either the stock one or you can download a new one from the market.

Android is very customisable.

I'm an Android novice and the only issue I had was getting the Vega to be read on my (XP) PC the way I needed it to be to install the ROM.

You basically get the Vega and update to the newest firmware from myadventvega following their instructions and then download the custom Rom from here. You turn on USB debugging on the Vega itself (Settings->Applications->Development and tick the box) and then this is where some people had issues. The computer is supposed to signal a new device detected when you plug the USB in and you point it towards the drivers in the custom rom (after unzipping them) but for many it didn't detect it as I guess maybe the official drivers caused a conflict or something. I don't know if anyone worked out how to solve it but I just used a different PC and the drivers installed perfectly.

Once the Vega is connected as it should be I just opened a command prompt (in XP it's under accessories) then opened the folder with the custom ROM and copied it's location, then back in the command prompt used the 'cd' command and pasted the location to change to the correct directory. I then typed 'install-windows.bat' and it did it's thing and installed the ROM.

It was a fairly simple process but the unfamiliarity of Android made it seem more complicated, luckily the people on this forum seem more than happy to help clueless people like me.