Gingerbread (2.3) for Pulse

Guest Tom G

Guest al-xcartier

Look for what I wrote on page 7 / guck, was ich ca. auf Seite 7 geschrieben habe.

Happy new year / Guten Rutsch,

Alex

Please help me! How do you flash a .img?

Please help!

Guest 英霸之器
Its slow, but it boots and so far is fairly stable.

Working

RIL

3G

Wifi

Audio

Bluetooth

Lights

SD card

Not working

Sensors

Camera

pulse-gingerbread-aosp-0.2.zip

Flash with fastboot. Wipe data/cache.

Change log

AOSP 02

Fixed audio

Fixed bluetooth

Fixed lights

Fixed SD card

AOSP 0.1

Audio partially working. It works in calls, but nothing else.

Pre AOSP source.

test2

Fixed 3G.

Enabled JIT. Feels a bit quicker.

Fixed Wifi.

Add EGL libs. Not sure if egl is working right.

GOOD.

Guest totiadrenalin

First of all: Happy New 2011 Year to all of you!!!

Now Only one question!

Why does Gingerbread use less Ram Memory then Froyo, but even so it is slower than Froyo?

In the System Panel app. I can see that 52-3MB of ram are free in gingerbread, and even less than 35MB of ram memory are free in CM6 froyo.

even in terminal with the command free.

7-8MB of free Ram Memory in Gingerbread and less then 2MB of free ram memory in CM6 Froyo.

So why then the Gingerbread is slower than Froyo?

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest Holograph
First of all: Happy New 2011 Year to all of you!!!

Now Only one question!

Why does Gingerbread use less Ram Memory then Froyo, but even so it is slower than Froyo?

In the System Panel app. I can see that 52-3MB of ram are free in gingerbread, and even less than 35MB of ram memory are free in CM6 froyo.

even in terminal with the command free.

7-8MB of free Ram Memory in Gingerbread and less then 2MB of free ram memory in CM6 Froyo.

So why then the Gingerbread is slower than Froyo?

No hardware accelleration I guess

Guest totiadrenalin
No hardware accelleration I guess

/If only the HW acceleration is the problem?

Well in that case this is the most easy thing to be activated in this rom. build.prob (debug.sf.hw=1)

And that's it.

Thank's I'll try this right now. But first to reflash the Gingerbread once again.

:unsure:

Guest jeddy1
/If only the HW acceleration is the problem?

Well in that case this is the most easy thing to be activated in this rom. build.prob (debug.sf.hw=1)

And that's it.

Thank's I'll try this right now. But first to reflash the Gingerbread once again.

:unsure:

Ha who will port the correct gapps to gingerbred. As I know the new market is not working. Give us a feedback after fixing what u wanna fix. Gingerbread is a nice rom but needs to be fixed. Specialy it needs a newer kernel.

Cheers

Edited by jeddy1

Guest hungary

I try everything to boost the system performance (force jit, debug.sf.hw=1, comcache, swap, vm heap size) but nothing work.

We need newer kernel for a faster Gingerbread. :unsure:

Guest totiadrenalin
I'm sorry, but whether we will be able to see version 3 of android 2.3? And how soon?

Thank you!

Nobody drop the Gingerbread port for pulse.

I guess that TOM is waiting for the CM7 source to be released.

That's why we should wait for any update from TOM.

Until than Im suggesting you to use the cm6 AIO v5 (based on beta 0.40)ROM from Richard

Located on this Address

It's the best cm6 rom for now.

Nobody drop the Gingerbread port for pulse.

I guess that TOM is waiting for the CM7 source to be released.

i'd agree. google releases bloatware, and lately their apps are more crapware. their services are innovative, but they seem to have forgotten their roots... of minimalism & simplicity!!!

cyanogen picks up the stock android, neatly trims it of bloat, making it more efficient, while adding superuser features.

and that is the beauty of open source! we pick up from cyanogen... modding for our devices, and building up, bugfixing upstream, etc. no point in wasting our time on something, someone has already done, perhaps better than we individually would have... communities working together!

Guest Richard_Arkless
i'd agree. google releases bloatware, and lately their apps are more crapware. their services are innovative, but they seem to have forgotten their roots... of minimalism & simplicity!!!

cyanogen picks up the stock android, neatly trims it of bloat, making it more efficient, while adding superuser features.

and that is the beauty of open source! we pick up from cyanogen... modding for our devices, and building up, bugfixing upstream, etc. no point in wasting our time on something, someone has already done, perhaps better than we individually would have... communities working together!

I wouldnt say android is bloatware, the only reason really is java which is the bloated one here, if they removed the java layer and let everything be native code then I think it will be far more efficient

maybe we should start a petition for google to scrap the java layer :D then 3.0 (if it isnt just for tablets that is) will run like a dream on our pulses

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest JimMorrison723

Not working

Sensors

Camera

when will we get the fully working 2.3 ? :D i would try it out, but i need working camera and sensors :/, and i don t want to reinstall my pulse only because i just wanted to try it out... i have a lot of stuff on it...

Guest skandigraun
when will we get the fully working 2.3 ? :D i would try it out, but i need working camera and sensors :/, and i don t want to reinstall my pulse only because i just wanted to try it out... i have a lot of stuff on it...

And god created Clockwork recovery :P Just do a nandroid backup, and you can try it immediately without any risks. When you are done, just simply restore your backup, it takes about 2 minutes.

I wouldnt say android is bloatware, the only reason really is java which is the bloated one here, if they removed the java layer and let everything be native code then I think it will be far more efficient

maybe we should start a petition for google to scrap the java layer :D then 3.0 (if it isnt just for tablets that is) will run like a dream on our pulses

you are probably right. but if i can only use android with java, it is no good for me as an efficient platform. i don't have java on any of our home pc. also, oracle lawyers are starting to play games with their legal interpretation of java licensing, which i think is a significant risk going forward, even if oracle backs down now.

i will be happy to sign your google petition, but i don't think google might jump to accept it, as that'd probably take them back to the drawing boards, and restarting android architecture from scratch.

i'm waiting for "emdebian" to go mainstream. and then, it'd probably be bye-bye android for me. this endless loop of a complete firmware wipe/replace every 6mths or so is unsustainable, imho! yet another microsoft wannabe?

i have an old laptop with less cpu/memory than the pulse. running debian is miles more efficient than what android does. i do acknowledge that debian has had a few years headstart. but that means nothing in today's world. just look at where microsoft is - with their versions of junkware!

Edited by ve100

Guest JimMorrison723
And god created Clockwork recovery ;) Just do a nandroid backup, and you can try it immediately without any risks. When you are done, just simply restore your backup, it takes about 2 minutes.

installation aborted... :/ let s try it again...

• 2 weeks later...
@ Tom G:

Custom MTD Partitions (resize Data,System and Cache )

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=717874

If you can port this to Pulse we can resize the partitions.

I understand how that works (and I've known for a long time that it can be done like that), but I don't like that method, it really is a mess. If for example the user were to install a recovery that doesn't use the modified kernel they could end up with corruption. It breaks fastboot (I use fastboot a lot, so I see that as a big problem). It really isn't the right way to do it.

The correct way to doing it modifying appsboot.mbn. The method I used on the Blade will work on the Pulse, but we need a way to flash appsboot.mbn.

Another problem with the kernel (msm_nand) method is that we have multiple devices to support with different nand setups. That means multiple kernels would need to be maintained. With the appsboot.mbn (sbl) method we would just have a different bootloader for each device (as we have now).

Guest Androidlover287
I've got it going on the blade as well ;) (but it is very unusable at the moment).

If you have 2.3 running on a ZTE Blade, i would LOVE You.

Even if it is unstable it'd still be good to have.

I got rid of my Pulse (because it didn't work right) and upgraded to the SF, i maybe starting to regret it now :D, NOT ;)

Don't get me wrong it was a good Device, just not as good as the Blade, in my opinion

i went though 2 pulses

• 2 weeks later...
Guest igor_anta

Bump.

Any progress on the CM7 port? Tom maybe you can remove some of the CM apps to free up space in system, for one I'm sure that the bootanimation is very big and if we get the rom to work, we could live without it :P Cheers!