Dell new official rom 8-12-2010

Guest jeffrey2000

Guest ameiurus
Fards posted the steps a few threads up

Soooooo I should assume the steps are identical to 309 -> 318? I need to fastboot recover 309 recovery and flash 318 even if I'm on 315?

tbh this is a pretty solid build.

I may push steves kernel at it, but tbh I'm quite happy with performance, the main downer was OOTB battery,

it lost 50% in 3 hours this morning, in a situation I would expect to lose 10-15%. I need to test it somemore, now I've tweaked and cleaned it.

lots of files changed between the 315 and this build.

as stock builds go its pretty decent :)

Yup, same here, no appreciable lag, seems faster than the last build, no redirect issues BUT as Fards reports, phone lost 50% charge overnight, with no wifi, bluetooth or 3g & all non essential tasks killed.

Whilst impressed at the fluidity of the build it kind of takes the shine off of it having to carry a charger & cable around. Used to last me a full 12hr shift, last night it managed maybe 6hrs after d/loading the update. May have to dig the spare battery out grrr

Also, it has a hell of a time reconnecting to an AP after waking up, as it jams on 'obtaining IP address' I usually have to kill wifi & start over, highly annoying if I have to lock the screen for 30secs or more, (even more so at home as it's my XMBC remote!) BUT it was happening with last build also; might be the APs though, our work is quite congested, ~20 BT2700 APs & 4 Vigors in our 200 seat office space & 2 BT home hubs V2 at home... Anything I can do to fix this? I'm prepared to root if I have to...

Edited by kwft

Whats Video Stage? do you mean the Media Stage Widget?

I never used it myself but it's also the first time i have heard of anyone having a problem with it.

The only video problems i have are trying to use rockplayer on these stock builds. Once the Hardare accel has been enabled it works flawlessly but it frameskips just a tiny bit with the stock build, just enough to be noticable/annoying.

Nah, Dell Video Stage is a video-rental app that comes with the official dell 2.2 build.

Guest Sotiris Lekkas
Yup, same here, no appreciable lag, seems faster than the last build, no redirect issues BUT as Fards reports, phone lost 50% charge overnight, with no wifi, bluetooth or 3g & all non essential tasks killed.

Whilst impressed at the fluidity of the build it kind of takes the shine off of it having to carry a charger & cable around. Used to last me a full 12hr shift, last night it managed maybe 6hrs after d/loading the update. May have to dig the spare battery out grrr

Also, it has a hell of a time reconnecting to an AP after waking up, as it jams on 'obtaining IP address' I usually have to kill wifi & start over, highly annoying if I have to lock the screen for 30secs or more, (even more so at home as it's my XMBC remote!) BUT it was happening with last build also; might be the APs though, our work is quite congested, ~20 BT2700 APs & 4 Vigors in our 200 seat office space & 2 BT home hubs V2 at home... Anything I can do to fix this? I'm prepared to root if I have to...

Same exact remarks from me.

The battery problem is a really big one. Is there a place we can start a support ticket at dell Europe?

Guest ashdragon
I've been playing with it (rooted manually as superoneclick doesn't work on linux for me)

so far quadrant (on stock kernel) is upto 1400..

I may push steves kernel at it, but tbh I'm quite happy with performance, the main downer was OOTB battery,

it lost 50% in 3 hours this morning, in a situation I would expect to lose 10-15%. I need to test it somemore, now I've tweaked and cleaned it.

lots of files changed between the 315 and this build.

as stock builds go its pretty decent :)

Interested in knowing (and getting hold of) what you tweaked to get up to 1400 or so, i assume it mostly has to do with the HW acceleration which i noticed was still disabled in this build.prop file.

Posted up on twittering... tweaks work...

after 5hrs now, I'm down to 80%

after1hr23it was still 100.

2hrs it was 96

last 3 hrs have been on wifi a lot.

Rooted., ripped all extra dell crap out. Turned off logging.

Did usual tweak with build.prop and local.prop, changed schedulers to the latest sysctl.conf I had for build 305/309

Only downside is that swipe doesn't want to play at the moment, I suspect its something in build.prop I changed

Edited by fards

Guest Sotiris Lekkas
Posted up on twittering... tweaks work...

after 5hrs now, I'm down to 80%

after1hr23it was still 100.

2hrs it was 96

last 3 hrs have been on wifi a lot.

Rooted., ripped all extra dell crap out. Turned off logging.

Did usual tweak with build.prop and local.prop, changed schedulers to the latest sysctl.conf I had for build 305/309

Only downside is that swipe doesn't want to play at the moment, I suspect its something in build.prop I changed

Once you are done with swype you think you can post a step by step with exactly witch crap you ripped out and explain what each one does? How can i disable logging? does enabling HW acceleration make a difference?

quick silly question (do i ask any other?)

does the front camera take a pic like a mirror (eg if you're wearing a t-shirt with writing on it, the writing is reversed)

or not?

Ta :)

yeah, it's reversed...

here's the changes to the prop files..

seperated into the folders they go in. you obviously need root to use them, and use adb push...

the files to remove are most of apks without odexes in system/app/ leave in those you find a use for

feel free to look at the files to check the changes.. I set the location to GB which may effect the swype but I'm not sure yet

EDIT

the local.prop is causing the swype (and settings) issues, delete all the media section out of that before pushing it if you want to use it otherwise ignore it, the other tweaks in local.prop increase network speed (FOR SOME NETWORKS, NOT ALL ) so its' not essential.

318tweaks1.zip

Edited by fards

Guest Ed Venture

seperated into the folders they go in. you obviously need root to use them, and use adb push...

the files to remove are most of apks without odexes in system/app/ leave in those you find a use for

feel free to look at the files to check the changes.. I set the location to GB which may effect the swype but I'm not sure yet

Fards,

I posted this over on the 309 thred, but it crosses content of this thread as well. Can you tell me if my approach below should work? I had a bad near brick experience with my old Streak that DJSteve had to help bail me out of with the QDLTool and I am hoping to avoid that with this, but I am desperate to get back to a functional OS.

I am on a stock AT&T US Locked Streak - 1.6, build 6601, and baseband GAUSB1A111231. Here is what I am thinking of doing, but I am not 100% sure if it will work or not:

(1) rename the Streak_318_12821_00.pkg to Update.pkg (is it capital "U" or lower case "u" by the way?)

(2) copy the Update.pkg (or update.pkg) to the root of the SD card

(3) flash recovery via fast boot by doing the following:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x413c reboot

(4) reboot into recovery and apply the the update.pkg

(5) reboot and factory reset.

So, can I start from 1.6 and go straight to the 309 image then to 318, or do I need to move to O2 1.6, then to O2 2.1 before I can upgrade? I have been through all this with my old Streak which had to be sent back to Dell because it started doing regular and random factory resets. I promised myself I would wait on 2.2 until the update came straight from Dell, but I now hear that that could be more than a month away. I just can't take 1.6 anymore, especially since 2.2 has all the features and speed I require.

In short, I want to get to an official 2.2 as soon and as safe as possible, what is the best way to go from stock 1.6 as mentioned above?

Fards,

I posted this over on the 309 thred, but it crosses content of this thread as well. Can you tell me if my approach below should work? I had a bad near brick experience with my old Streak that DJSteve had to help bail me out of with the QDLTool and I am hoping to avoid that with this, but I am desperate to get back to a functional OS.

I am on a stock AT&T US Locked Streak - 1.6, build 6601, and baseband GAUSB1A111231. Here is what I am thinking of doing, but I am not 100% sure if it will work or not:

(1) rename the Streak_318_12821_00.pkg to Update.pkg (is it capital "U" or lower case "u" by the way?)

(2) copy the Update.pkg (or update.pkg) to the root of the SD card

(3) flash recovery via fast boot by doing the following:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>fastboot -i 0x413c reboot

(4) reboot into recovery and apply the the update.pkg

(5) reboot and factory reset.

So, can I start from 1.6 and go straight to the 309 image then to 318, or do I need to move to O2 1.6, then to O2 2.1 before I can upgrade? I have been through all this with my old Streak which had to be sent back to Dell because it started doing regular and random factory resets. I promised myself I would wait on 2.2 until the update came straight from Dell, but I now hear that that could be more than a month away. I just can't take 1.6 anymore, especially since 2.2 has all the features and speed I require.

In short, I want to get to an official 2.2 as soon and as safe as possible, what is the best way to go from stock 1.6 as mentioned above?

tbh I would do it that way.. but I can't guarantee it would work, as I've not done it personally, and Unless I do something myself I'm not going to say its perfectly safe :)

Guest Ed Venture
tbh I would do it that way.. but I can't guarantee it would work, as I've not done it personally, and Unless I do something myself I'm not going to say its perfectly safe :)

Understood. But your response makes me feel like I have a reasonable level of understanding to give it a go :)

Thanks!

Ed

Guest adzman808
probably :)

I blame the beer. fixed now

beer?

aw mate did u finish the brandy?

been knocking it back myself tonight...

really tempted by this build... but for what... usb teth? 1.4.6 has got it all really... batt life, swype, overclock... all my apps & my decent car in raging thunder :)

Guest ashdragon

Using your build.prop and sysctl.conf files (only those 2) i have gone from 800 ish up to 1325 in Quadrant.

Thankyou.

Sywpe seems to be ok for me though ( didn't change the location back from GB)

Watchdog lite shows the following launch after a reboot (excluding apps I have installed, I only run 1 widget: the supplied 'power control'):

Quickoffice

Music

Gallery

Settings

Voice dialler

Market

Amazon MP3

Google Search

Gmail

Assistant Free

Dell Stage

Dell Sync pwd by nero

com.dell.stage.widget.social (I don't use FB/Twitter/social media)

So how do I stop this crap from loading on every boot? Couldn't the majority be launched on demand?

Will try killing all of these & see if this is what's affecting battery life...

Using your build.prop and sysctl.conf files (only those 2) i have gone from 800 ish up to 1325 in Quadrant.

Thankyou.

Sywpe seems to be ok for me though ( didn't change the location back from GB)

ok it may be the local.prop then as there's a lot of settings in there, the buffer may have got overloaded again.

testing quickly none of my settings are taking at the mo when I change something..

so I've just killed the media changes in local.prop and its all working again..

So I'll edit the other post..

Guest vinnie536
ok it may be the local.prop then as there's a lot of settings in there, the buffer may have got overloaded again.

testing quickly none of my settings are taking at the mo when I change something..

so I've just killed the media changes in local.prop and its all working again..

So I'll edit the other post..

sorry to be a pain. total noob on the android scene. I.ve just updated to new rom an was wondering if you could briefly explain how to apply your tweaks. just rooted phone again after install. Thanks Vinnie