Is there *any* ROM without jittery scrolling?

Guest Han-Droid

Guest Han-Droid

I tried a couple of roms - not many. But I always found scrolling to be quite jittery. And this is - if you talk to people - when you get the answer "See! That's why you should have bought an iphone"

Don't get me wrong, I love my Desire. But I keep asking myself..."why all the modding, the hard dev-work, the porting" when basic operation is still imperfect?

When I read "smooth rom" I expect smooth scrolling in the first place. Did any of you guys really experience a sense-rom with smoooooooth scrolling? If so, please tell...show me the way *g*

Guest dreamdealer
I tried a couple of roms - not many. But I always found scrolling to be quite jittery. And this is - if you talk to people - when you get the answer "See! That's why you should have bought an iphone"

Don't get me wrong, I love my Desire. But I keep asking myself..."why all the modding, the hard dev-work, the porting" when basic operation is still imperfect?

When I read "smooth rom" I expect smooth scrolling in the first place. Did any of you guys really experience a sense-rom with smoooooooth scrolling? If so, please tell...show me the way *g*

Have you tried DHD Rom Port by baadnwz v1.3 it runs on mine. no lag very smooth and looks good.

I tried a couple of roms - not many. But I always found scrolling to be quite jittery.
It could be do to the kernel that's used in those roms. Different kernels are underclocked, have different governors, etc... and that can slow down your phone a bit but give you more battery life.

I'm using a HS Sense rom and Sub501's kernel and it's really fast and smooth. Much smoother than on stock kernel I used to have when I first bought the phone.

Edited by bpivk

Guest Han-Droid

currently i am on badnews 1.3 - it is ok but not smooth (at least what I understand in terms of smoothness)

it's less the flipping through the screens, more when scrolling through "All Apps" Screen. It just seems like every icon is loaded "on demand" causing the lag/jitter while scrolling.

Guest dreamdealer
currently i am on badnews 1.3 - it is ok but not smooth (at least what I understand in terms of smoothness)

it's less the flipping through the screens, more when scrolling through "All Apps" Screen. It just seems like every icon is loaded "on demand" causing the lag/jitter while scrolling.

probably not the realated but, what class sd card are you using, I am guessing your using apps2sd with a ext partition, to be honest I don't know enough about sd cards, but I understand that the higher the class the higher the transfer speed, whether this is related to how apps2sd works I really don't know it might not even make a difference. I mean I run DHD Rom Port by baadnwz with a class 6 8gb SDHC card, and dont suffer any application launcher lag at all.

Guest alex_hk90

Hmm, I see what you mean. I'm on MCR r9 and it seems to be jittery on the first time of using that screen, then on subsequent attempts its fine.

Guest Han-Droid

thanks for the answers. so I am guessing I should try a faster card then....and maybe one day I'll manage to establish a valid ext4-partition.

merry christmas!

Guest Han-Droid
thanks for the answers. so I am guessing I should try a faster card then....and maybe one day I'll manage to establish a valid ext4-partition.

merry christmas!

update: got myself a 8gig class6-card. ext4 1gig. and the jittery apps-scrolling is still there. i honestly think it's a sense-thing. everything else is smooth, though!

I use Sense HD and don't experience this problem. Like alex_hk90 said... It does lag a little for the first time until you check the whole screen but then it's smooth as silk.

Guest le_lutin
I use Sense HD and don't experience this problem. Like alex_hk90 said... It does lag a little for the first time until you check the whole screen but then it's smooth as silk.

Are you honestly saying that when you're in the "messages" app (or indeed handcent) and in a long threaded conversation that the scrolling is completely smooth when you flick up and down the screen quickly?

No because I don't have many messages. I had (at most) 5 messages and I didn't lag at all nor did it lag under all apps.

People know that I have an android phone so they don't text me but use google talk instead htat's why I don't have many sms messages so I can't say for sure about them but I have never experienced any lag on the rom and kernel I'm using at the moment.

isn't there an option to "keep in memory" in launcher pro or was it ADW.Launcher? maybe this could help, but I'm not sure about it :)

What I felt to be really smooth is the Oxygen Rom. I'm using ReflexTSense HD atm.

Edited by rum0s

Guest alex_hk90
Are you honestly saying that when you're in the "messages" app (or indeed handcent) and in a long threaded conversation that the scrolling is completely smooth when you flick up and down the screen quickly?

I just tried scrolling a long threaded conversation and it is a little bit jittery, but not something I would personally notice unless I was specifically looking for it (as I was just then).

Guest dreamdealer
update: got myself a 8gig class6-card. ext4 1gig. and the jittery apps-scrolling is still there. i honestly think it's a sense-thing. everything else is smooth, though!

Sorry my post wasn't much help, least you don't need to break the bank these days for a decent sdcard so I don't feel that guilty in suggesting it might be the source of the problem, if you think its a sense-thing, maybe backup your apps and try a non sense ROM if you haven't already, restore your apps and see if the problem persists. Keep me posted .. cheers.

DreamDealer