16GB SD cards that definitely work

Guest stanno

Guest ScottChegg

PNY 16GB Micro SDHC Memory Card / Class 4 from Play been working fine for the past 3 or 4 days on a week old OSF running FLB- froyo r10. did bring up a error message so formatted it on the phone still showed error so rebooted the phone and it was fine.

£13.99 delivered

http://tinyurl.com/5uw9mfb

Sorry link dont work just copy paste : PNY 16GB Micro SDHC Memory Card / Class 4

Edited by ScottChegg

Guest andy9876
PNY 16GB Micro SDHC Memory Card / Class 4 from Play been working fine for the past 3 or 4 days on a week old OSF running FLB- froyo r10. did bring up a error message so formatted it on the phone still showed error so rebooted the phone and it was fine.

£13.99 delivered

http://tinyurl.com/5uw9mfb

Sorry link dont work just copy paste : PNY 16GB Micro SDHC Memory Card / Class 4

This is exactly the same card I have and have had lots of problems with it, especially when the phone gets hot, particularly when I use Navigation in my car and it is plugged into a USB caR charger.. I haven't formated it yet so that's my next step to fixing it. As I said in earlier posts most of the time its OK.

This is exactly the same card I have and have had lots of problems with it, especially when the phone gets hot, particularly when I use Navigation in my car and it is plugged into a USB caR charger.. I haven't formated it yet so that's my next step to fixing it. As I said in earlier posts most of the time its OK.

This is also the card I'm using in my Orange San Francisco B10 running SS4b and I haven't had any problems with it yet (about 10 days usage so far). I've been running the card with SS versions 2, 3 and 4b and the card has 2 partitions, 1 FAT32 and 1 ext3. I'm not a super hard stress tester but it just seems to work for me, no strange error messages or anything.

Guest andy9876

This is also the card I'm using in my Orange San Francisco B10 running SS4b and I haven't had any problems with it yet (about 10 days usage so far). I've been running the card with SS versions 2, 3 and 4b and the card has 2 partitions, 1 FAT32 and 1 ext3. I'm not a super hard stress tester but it just seems to work for me, no strange error messages or anything.

I have decided that it may be a faulty card so have returned it for a replacement. I'll let you know how I get on.

Can you or anyone else explain how to set up an EXT3 partition. When I use clockwork it sets it defaults to ext2. Is there any advantage to using these partitions over the bulit in 2.2 apps to sd function?

I have decided that it may be a faulty card so have returned it for a replacement. I'll let you know how I get on.

Can you or anyone else explain how to set up an EXT3 partition. When I use clockwork it sets it defaults to ext2. Is there any advantage to using these partitions over the bulit in 2.2 apps to sd function?

I just used the mini-tutorial in this post using the Windows partitioning software (see the bit called 'I want to use A2SD but what do I do' near the end of the first post).

AFAIK, ext3 is just ext2 with journalling added (or something like that). So for running apps there is probably no benefit to using an ext3 partition but I might be wrong :D

HTH

Guest mazaisti

Couple of data points to this randomness :)

1. Trancend 2 GB SD card that came with Blade (version 1, TFT) works fine every time.

2. Sandisk 6 GB SDHC class 4 acts up. I can get it in the state where it mounts and works perfectly (you can read and write to card) when inserted in the phone, but every time after rebooting the phone it gives "SD card damaged " or "Blank card"-error message.

One or two times the card has gone in the state where it doesn't show at all in windows (by using my HP laptops integrated reader). I have been able to revitalize by reformatting it with Panasonic compact camera that supports SDHC cards.

3. No brand 8 GB class 4 that came with Motorola Milestone. It gets in the mount/unmount loop every time inserted in the phone.

All of the cards work perfectly in PC/Windows. I have tried to format them with SDFormatter and and after that in the Balde (and also with all possible combinations), but no luck with Blade.

Planning to buy Sandisk 16GB class 2/4 or Verbatim 16GB class 2 available from local store.

Guest mazaisti

Bought Sandisk 16GB class 4 and it works perfectly :)

I think that speed of the card might have something to do with this issue. I made speed comparisons with CrystalDiskMark and the new card was slowest of them all even though they are all labeled class 4 (2GB card unknown). New card was bit faster on some tests with smaller files so it might have different kind of controller that makes it work.

Here are the results:

Trancend 2 GB SD class ???

Sequential Read : 15.761 MB/s
Sequential Write : 6.050 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 14.443 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.602 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 1.347 MB/s [ 328.8 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.047 MB/s [ 11.4 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 1.553 MB/s [ 379.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.086 MB/s [ 21.1 IOPS]

Sandisk 6 GB SDHC class 4

Sequential Read : 18.598 MB/s
Sequential Write : 14.620 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 18.535 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 3.940 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.818 MB/s [ 932.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.040 MB/s [ 9.8 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 4.068 MB/s [ 993.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.059 MB/s [ 14.4 IOPS]

Unbranded 8 GB SDHC Class 4

Sequential Read : 18.528 MB/s
Sequential Write : 10.301 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 18.417 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.813 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.361 MB/s [ 820.6 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.018 MB/s [ 4.3 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.401 MB/s [ 830.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.027 MB/s [ 6.6 IOPS]

Sandisk 16 GB SDHC class 4

Sequential Read : 10.155 MB/s
Sequential Write : 6.367 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 9.996 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 1.369 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.475 MB/s [ 604.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 1.213 MB/s [ 296.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 2.271 MB/s [ 554.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.587 MB/s [ 143.3 IOPS]

[/codebox]

Guest lakicamm

Transcend 16 GB class 6 .. bit expensive, but working nice and fast :)

SD tools benchmark (using SD Speed Increase from market set at 2048)

writing speed: 8.9 MB/s

reading speed: 22.4 MB/s

Edited by lakicamm

Guest unrandomsam

PNY 16GB Micro SD Memory Card / Class 10 (From play.com)

Works fine. <15MB read and write.

Not sure if android is configured to work with it optimally though

32k block size performs best (but wastes space on small files) and is the default when you get the card.

The performance isn't amazing for small files but its good for large files.

Guest samjam
The 16 GB card I bought works most of the time. It appears to become unreliable when the phone gets hot. I have been able to use Titanium back up and have loaded new roms from it using Clockwork. However sometimes it really is unstable.

My play.com class 4 16GB card also has problems when the phone gets hot using satnav

Guest Liesse

Just wanted to add that the SanDisk Class 4 16gb I bought from Play.com following general advice in this thread is working great for me. Thank you to those who have taken the time to post their findings.

I had an unused Transcend Class 6 4 GB that I tried in my phone while waiting for the Play.com one to arrive (Channel Islands post always takes ages to get to me, especially with all the bank holidays), but it didn't work. Could not get the phone to see it. This made me a bit nervous trying my new more expensive 16GB one it this evening, but I just formated in clockwork and copied the files from the old card across. Worked perfectly.

Edited by Liesse

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SteliosGR

I received today the INOV8 16GB class10 SD card.

Having read by many people here that it works perfectly I thought that I wouldn't encounter any problem.

However, the card seems to be uncompartible with blade.

It is normally recognized by the phone but when I try to copy or read an archive, it starts to mount and unmound the sd.

The phone was GEN1 but I installed CM7 and now is GEN2.

What do you advice me to do?

Edited by SteliosGR

Guest Chewi
I received today the INOV8 16GB class10 SD card.

Having read by many people here that it works perfectly I thought that I wouldn't encounter any problem.

However, the card seems to be uncompartible with blade.

It is normally recognized by the phone but when I try to copy or read an archive, it starts to mount and unmound the sd.

The phone was GEN1 but I installed CM7 and now is GEN2.

What do you advice me to do?

Well I managed to stick about 500MB on it without any trouble, haven't done much since but it still seems fine. My phone was also GEN1 but is now GEN2 through the older Windows method. I did format the card before I used it. Did you try that?

Guest SteliosGR
Well I managed to stick about 500MB on it without any trouble, haven't done much since but it still seems fine. My phone was also GEN1 but is now GEN2 through the older Windows method. I did format the card before I used it. Did you try that?

I formated the card using windows in fat32. Is fat32 the right type or I should try more types?

I also formated the card using the clockwork and SDFormatter. Any other idea??

The card that you have is inov8 16GB class 10?

Could you please tell me the part number of your card? It is written on the card.

Guest Chewi
I formated the card using windows in fat32. Is fat32 the right type or I should try more types?

I also formated the card using the clockwork and SDFormatter. Any other idea??

FAT32 is right. I would have prefered ext2 but that's another story. I only formatted it using the standard "Erase SD Card" option in the Android settings. I don't use Windows and I wouldn't trust it to do it properly

The card that you have is inov8 16GB class 10?

Could you please tell me the part number of your card? It is written on the card.

Bloody hell, my eyesight isn't great but I'm really struggling to read this number. Here goes.

MMB3R16GUACA-GE

S YJI16011 044

Made in KOREA

Guest SteliosGR
FAT32 is right. I would have prefered ext2 but that's another story. I only formatted it using the standard "Erase SD Card" option in the Android settings. I don't use Windows and I wouldn't trust it to do it properly

Bloody hell, my eyesight isn't great but I'm really struggling to read this number. Here goes.

MMB3R16GUACA-GE

S YJI16011 044

Made in KOREA

It seems that I have exactly the same card.... :unsure:

I just formated it again using the phone but the problem remains. The card is detectable by the phone but when I try to tranfer files from the usb connection or when it reads the sd applications it starts to repeatedly unmount and mount the SD.

The rom i use is CM7 nightly 57.

Is there anyone else with the same problem???

post-844145-1305279396_thumb.jpgpost-844145-1305279754_thumb.jpg

Edited by SteliosGR

Guest jimwormold
It seems that I have exactly the same card.... :P

I just formated it again using the phone but the problem remains. The card is detectable by the phone but when I try to tranfer files from the usb connection or when it reads the sd applications it starts to repeatedly unmount and mount the SD.

The rom i use is CM7 nightly 57.

Is there anyone else with the same problem???

I'm on the latest stable CM7.0.3, with a GEN1->GEN2 TFT screened blade that I bought from Orange a couple of weeks ago.

I'm thinking of buying this memory card, but your experience makes me hesitant.

Do both of you (@SteliosGR and @Chewi) have the same screen types (and therefore presumably the same internal hardware)? I am wondering whether it may be related to @pelliot's post at the bottom of this page http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...d-anyone-tried/?

Is there anyway to find out if my phone has the affected Qualcomm chipset?

Edited by jimwormold

Guest Chewi
Do both of you (@SteliosGR and @Chewi) have the same screen types (and therefore presumably the same internal hardware)?

I have a TFT screen. I can't remember if it was "Lead" or "Truly" and that code doesn't seem to work anymore. Mine is only a few weeks old so it's probably not the old chipset.