28/Mar [GUIDE] Update to Unlock 256MB Devices to 512MB [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

+1 Probably to make it less attractive against higher margin high end phones.

Definitely. Here, in Hungary, T-Mobile didn't advertise this phone at all, and when a stock arrives at a T-Mobile shop, it is sold in half a day. It was the situation even when it was considered 256MB. I guess, now it is very hard to buy it directly.

Have you got the build info to post?

ro.build.display.id=DELL_P729DLV1.0.0B04

ro.build.baseband_version=P729DLB01

ro.build.sw_internal_version=DELL_P729DLV1.0.0B06

ro.com.google.gmsversion=2.1_r12

ro.build.date=Fri Nov 26 17:29:58 CST 2010

Confirmed to work on Greek Blade (TFT).

The pleasant sideeffect is that this unlock fixes also the wifi problem.

Since the update no more wifi disconects when phone goes into sleep mode.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Which custom rom is that over the top?

That bothers me!! (I'm happy for you though!)

I did the process on my OUK 512 OLED to test, and then reinstalled my back up of Seb's desoftened r0.2 and still had wifi disconnecting on sleep.

I must dig a little deeper, because that's my only fault with this phone!

I did the process on my OUK 512 OLED to test, and then reinstalled my back up of Seb's desoftened r0.2 and still had wifi disconnecting on sleep.

does suggest that its the custom rom rather than this update that's fixing wifi

Guest StevenHarperUK

So far Jellyfish RLS2 is working properly on wifi - reconnecting on wakeup - but I have only had it on 2 days

I know, I wish I would have tested it while on the hungarian ROM and then done a clean install rather than from backup...

I'd like to see what ROMs people have went to after this update and had wifi continue to work properly.

So far Jellyfish RLS2 is working properly on wifi - reconnecting on wakeup - but I have only had it on 2 days

I have always been able to reconnect on wake-up.

What some people have reported after this is that if you have wi-fi sleep policy set to never, it actually never sleeps!

Guest StevenHarperUK
I have always been able to reconnect on wake-up.

What some people have reported after this is that if you have wi-fi sleep policy set to never, it actually never sleeps!

Your correct - if you go into (very deep)

Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Wifi Settings > [MENU] Advanced >Wi-FI Sleep Policy

You can see that the new default 2.2 is set to Never

I haven't noticed too much battery use - but there must be some.

Guest Anjan Tek
Do you know if Dell have said they intend to upgrade your phone to 2.2?

I am going to ask Dell about this.

Clarification: all of you have got your phones from a carrier (Orange), right? Any official updates will reach you over the air from the carrier, right?

What happens when there is no carrier involved at all? For example, in my case, the phone is sold by Dell directly, unlocked. Then, how do these over the air updates work?

Am I right in assuming that there is an alternative method for official firmware updates? Maybe download a firmware update package from Dell's site and run it on the desktop computer while the phone is connected via USB?

Guest jt_mcg
Your correct - if you go into (very deep)

Settings > Wireless & Network Settings > Wifi Settings > [MENU] Advanced >Wi-FI Sleep Policy

You can see that the new default 2.2 is set to Never

I haven't noticed too much battery use - but there must be some.

I've always had the option to select it too, on every custom ROM I've tried, but the policy was never observed.

When the phone goes into deep sleep, the wifi disconnects, does your phone's wifi not drop during sleep?

Try to ping it during sleep or see if it's inactive in your router settings, or even turn off mobile data and send yourself an email while the phones in the deep sleep (not woken by home/menu/back).

Guest jt_mcg
I am going to ask Dell about this.

Clarification: all of you have got your phones from a carrier (Orange), right? Any official updates will reach you over the air from the carrier, right?

What happens when there is no carrier involved at all? For example, in my case, the phone is sold by Dell directly, unlocked. Then, how do these over the air updates work?

Am I right in assuming that there is an alternative method for official firmware updates? Maybe download a firmware update package from Dell's site and run it on the desktop computer while the phone is connected via USB?

I think very few people have remained with Orange, and it doesn't look like they will be releasing 2.2 for the phone anyway. The other networks carrying the phone in Europe in Hungary, Finland, France, Portugal, Greece etc also do not be planning to release 2.2 either. How we will all get 2.2 most likely is creating it from ZTE's froyo source code and/or from the ROMs created for the Japanese and Chinese networks/models and then using Clockwork to install.

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest Arr Too
The other networks carrying the phone in Europe in Hungary, Finland, France, Portugal, Greece etc also do not be planning to release 2.2 either.

The Greek one has apparently said 2.2 will come soon "in the New Year".

Guest jbfyou
Which custom rom is that over the top?

After Hungarian update i restored the Stock ROM

I always had in the sleep policy options NEVER selected but before unlocking the RAM Wifi never stayed On.

After unlock if i select NEVER, Wifi stays On even if the phone goes in to sleep mode.

This i think is a major improvement vs the (locked RAM) Stock Rom.

Btw if i use a custom ROM with all languages unlocked, can i also have my local language in the menus as in the Greek Stock ROM? (where only English and Greek is available)

I always had in the sleep policy options NEVER selected but before unlocking the RAM Wifi never stayed On.

After unlock if i select NEVER, Wifi stays On even if the phone goes in to sleep mode.

This i think is a major improvement vs the (locked RAM) Stock Rom.

Btw if i use a custom ROM with all languages unlocked, can i also have my local language in the menus as in the Greek Stock ROM? (where only English and Greek is available)

Do you know if anyone else who has flashed this has found the same improvement?

Guest jt_mcg
Do you know if anyone else who has flashed this has found the same improvement?

Fonix 232 reported the same and possibly one or two other people, that's why I gave it a shot. It was suggested that the new bootloader was the source of the fix. I flashed this, restored my nandroid of Seb's desoftened and the wifi still drops on sleep even though I have toggled the wifi sleep policy to never.

Guest oh!dougal

After unlock if i select NEVER, Wifi stays On even if the phone goes in to sleep mode. ...

How are you determining that WiFi does not sleep? (And how long are you checking for, naturally off-charger & usb?)

Fonix 232 reported the same and possibly one or two other people, that's why I gave it a shot. It was suggested that the new bootloader was the source of the fix. I flashed this, restored my nandroid of Seb's desoftened and the wifi still drops on sleep even though I have toggled the wifi sleep policy to never.

I wonder whether there might be any difference between restoring the nandroid backup and flashing in a 'normal' rom image?

Apart from /cache and /data, does nandroid restore any other odd nooks and crannies, that might possibly overwrite the change?

Guest jt_mcg
How are you determining that WiFi does not sleep? (And how long are you checking for, naturally off-charger & usb?)

I wonder whether there might be any difference between restoring the nandroid backup and flashing in a 'normal' rom image?

Apart from /cache and /data, does nandroid restore any other odd nooks and crannies, that might possibly overwrite the change?

I think that I'll give it another try when Seb's Desoftened r0.3 is uploaded without corruption. I'll observe first on the Hungarian stock rom, then install r.03 and see what happens then too.

In the related partitioning thread, it's looking like we will be able to put clockwork, boot and system images of our choice into this update mechanism as well as change the partition sizes.

It's amazing what we're getting out of ZTE/T-Mobile's 256MB cock-up!!

Guest oh!dougal

It's amazing what we're getting out of ZTE/T-Mobile's 256MB cock-up!!

I called it the Rosetta Stone, when I tried to bring it to Tom_G's attention.

I can recognise that it contains the keys to the kingdom, even if I don't personally know where the lock is!

Guest jt_mcg
I called it the Rosetta Stone, when I tried to bring it to Tom_G's attention.

I can recognise that it contains the keys to the kingdom, even if I don't personally know where the lock is!

I'm with you 100%, heck I barely know where the gate is nevermind the lock!

This is getting close though

Guest jbfyou

I let the phone disable the screen (sleep time 30sec.) when i enable it again after the lock screen wifi is still on and connected. I tested it several times at random times and wifi was still on. (The only issue i have is that my router works not so good with the blade, assignign wrong ip to the blade, so that i have to restart the router in order to use wifi, but that an router issue)

Guest oh!dougal
I let the phone disable the screen (sleep time 30sec.) when i enable it again after the lock screen wifi is still on and connected. I tested it several times at random times and wifi was still on. ...

OK, but that's actually more indicative of an immediate RE-connection than the wifi staying active during sleep.

No bad thing, certainly - but not quite "as advertised"!

Look back in this thread for experiences "pinging" the phone while it is actually in sleep.

I let the phone disable the screen (sleep time 30sec.) when i enable it again after the lock screen wifi is still on and connected. I tested it several times at random times and wifi was still on. (The only issue i have is that my router works not so good with the blade, assignign wrong ip to the blade, so that i have to restart the router in order to use wifi, but that an router issue)

can you ping the phone from another device whilst it is asleep?