Next Wednesday,We will get a perfect ROM.

Guest Weird Sun

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Any Froyos coming out of China?

Since we have the Japanese Blade Froyo rom, and the kernel source was released on the 7th as expected, the chinese rom has become unimportant, as most of the froyo roms out there (Flibblesan's rom, KK's Japanese Jellyfish) are quite stable and very good to use. I personally recommend Flibblesan's rom, as I use it on a daily basis and have no issues :D

Guest compi.hu
... as most of the froyo roms out there (Flibblesan's rom, KK's Japanese Jellyfish) are quite stable and very good to use...

..if you don't mind that currently no rom exists which handles wifi sleep policy well. Currently it is not possible wit any rom i'm aware of to allow the phone to really sleep (can be woken up by power button ONLY), while keeping the wifi connection up. This causes that you will not receive e-mail notification, and gtalk messages if your phone enter to sleep mode with wifi switched on as blade will not even switch to 3G when it starts sleeping and drops wifi.

Guest daisyhayseed
..if you don't mind that currently no rom exists which handles wifi sleep policy well. Currently it is not possible wit any rom i'm aware of to allow the phone to really sleep (can be woken up by power button ONLY), while keeping the wifi connection up. This causes that you will not receive e-mail notification, and gtalk messages if your phone enter to sleep mode with wifi switched on as blade will not even switch to 3G when it starts sleeping and drops wifi.

Eh?..

Can't say that I've experienced these problems with the latest Japanese Jellyfish release.

Guest ballist1x

WHat about the freezing touchscreen issue?

For me, im using one of the earlier froyo releases and its fine and quick. Except my phone is somtimes frozen. For me that has to be the most critical fix of a new rom to get me to move now.

WHat about the freezing touchscreen issue?

For me, im using one of the earlier froyo releases and its fine and quick. Except my phone is somtimes frozen. For me that has to be the most critical fix of a new rom to get me to move now.

Been using new kernel (Jellyfish RLS6 for about a week now) and no freeze so far!

With a new build, we see new problems though. With the Jellyfish ROM there are reports of high battery consumption, signal bar strength showing either 1 bar or full only (and no reception.)

Guest Frankish
Been using new kernel (Jellyfish RLS6 for about a week now) and no freeze so far!

With a new build, we see new problems though. With the Jellyfish ROM there are reports of high battery consumption, signal bar strength showing either 1 bar or full only (and no reception.)

RLS7 will fix signal bar indicators. Battery consumption is no higher for me than on Pauls alpha rom so i've no idea why everyone is moaning about it?

Guest buneech
RLS7 will fix signal bar indicators. Battery consumption is no higher for me than on Pauls alpha rom so i've no idea why everyone is moaning about it?

Actually, the battery consumption is far lower on RLS6 than on MCR Froyo for me. Couldn't get a day of usage anymore with MCR alpha 4. The first couple of days seem promising for JJ RLS6. Even with HWUI on.

Not moaning. Just trying to be helpful by relaying reports I've read from the JJ Thread.

I agree, I went from Paul's alpha 3 rom straight to JJ rls 6 a couple of days ago and the battery consumption seems the same, maybe even slightly better.

When I take a step back, I'm amazed at the things that are done in this community to improve and adapt the software that is given to us from the phone suppliers :D

Guest compi.hu
Eh?..

Can't say that I've experienced these problems with the latest Japanese Jellyfish release.

JJ6 installed either from update.zip or image drops wifi as soon as it goes to true sleeping state. Sad but true. Ping replies stop to arrive in the same second you press the power button to put the phone to sleep then e-mail and/or gtalk notifications do not arrive until you pull the phone out from sleep state using the power button and wifi reconnects to the AP. I always test it on device disconnected from USB with clean roms installed after factory reset without any additional app installed, wifi sleep policy set to "Never" to get consistent results. Until now I tried every rom available and none of them behave as it should. The only "soution" is to use an application which maintains a partial wake lock to keep the phone from entering true sleep start which kills the battery quite fast.

Here are the steps necessary to reproduce the problem:

1. Execute factory format from cwm and install your rom of your choice OR install your rom of your choice from image (menu+volup+power method)

2. Set up your phone to use your AP and find out it's (internal) IP address.

3. ping your phone from a computer on the same network. (win: "ping -t ipaddress", linux: "ping ipaddress")

4. Put your phone to sleepp (short press on power) and check if it can be woken up by pressing MENU button. If the screen switches back on, the phone did not sleep.

Result: the ping replies stop to arrive.

Oh and I forgot to mention, there are 5 Blades in my reach (colleagues, friends) with different roms installed and all of them behave the same.

Edited by compi.hu

JJ6 installed either from update.zip or image drops wifi as soon as it goes to true sleeping state. Sad but true. Ping replies stop to arrive in the same second you press the power button to put the phone to sleep then e-mail and/or gtalk notifications do not arrive until you pull the phone out from sleep state using the power button and wifi reconnects to the AP. I always test it on device disconnected from USB with clean roms installed after factory reset without any additional app installed, wifi sleep policy set to "Never" to get consistent results. Until now I tried every rom available and none of them behave as it should. The only "soution" is to use an application which maintains a partial wake lock to keep the phone from entering true sleep start which kills the battery quite fast.

Here are the steps necessary to reproduce the problem:

1. Execute factory format from cwm and install your rom of your choice OR install your rom of your choice from image (menu+volup+power method)

2. Set up your phone to use your AP and find out it's (internal) IP address.

3. ping your phone from a computer on the same network. (win: "ping -t ipaddress", linux: "ping ipaddress")

4. Put your phone to sleepp (short press on power) and check if it can be woken up by pressing MENU button. If the screen switches back on, the phone did not sleep.

Result: the ping replies stop to arrive.

Oh and I forgot to mention, there are 5 Blades in my reach (colleagues, friends) with different roms installed and all of them behave the same.

I thought this was the way it's supposed to work - why would you want wifi awake if you put your phone to true sleep - that's the idea of true sleep - everything is off apart from radio for calls - otherwise it kills the battery.

As soon as you wake your phone it should reconnect (tho that has been an issue in the past and seems to be fixed one way or another) and grab emails etc.

The only time I would keep wifi active in the background was if I was say on MSN, and that has an option to prevent sleep - great for keeping messages coming in but not so good on the battery.

I'm not sure if setting wifi to never sleep relates to it not sleeping after not using it for a while, or not sleeping after sending the phone to deep sleep.

I cant say it's ever been an issue for me tho.

Again, as far as I can tell, everything is working as it's meant to be in that respect.

I think the wi-fi shut down in deep sleep "issue" is debatable. The description of the advanced option states "Specify when to switch from WI-FI to mobile data". It does not say something like "specify when to switch of wifi"...

For me, I would like to have wi-fi alive in deep sleep. As far as I know this is implemented in some other android phones.

This might be possible in an app (just an idea)

precondition: when wi-fi is turned on , and the setting in the advanced option is "Never", when screen goes off for a certain period of time

operations: 1) cpu goes to the lowest clock mode, if possible reduce the voltage as well (to save bettery), 2) keep the phone running to prevent it from going to a deep sleep mode.

At the moment there are apps to keep phone "awake" but they don't check if wi-fi is on and "the advanced option" is set to "never". I am not sure if the cpu is running on the lowest setting neither.

Ok, about the small issues I have so far with froyo (with the new kernel) roms:

Chinese based:

1) the stock email client crashes when trying to forward an email. This has been replaced with a modded one that works by flibblesan.

2) it will take the default or any browser based on webkit a long time to load www.gumtree.com. Think the problem here is Java and u cannot cancel this loading process. (you can cancel before it tries to load javascripts on the site, after this has started it it's not possible to open a link or cancel the process until it finishes)

3) it is not possible to play youtube video straight from the browser from m.youtube.com site. It will just give an error message "cannot play the video". What i can see is that it tries to open the youtube app but that fails to play the video somehow. I think google knows about this problem, someone might know more about this.

4) this might not be a defect, but is still annoying, it takes a long time to get the actual location fix for gps. Nokia phones get fix faster with a-gps.

Japanese based:

the same problems 2) and 3) exist.

problem 1) does not exist, but there is a slight problem with the stock calendar app - it is not possible to go to a date from the month view by just tapping on it. This might be easy to fix, dunno,or maybe it's designed this way?

Haven't tested GPS for these roms.

Apart from the aforementioned issues I stated, things are fine for me.

I might have missed some work around or fixes for the stated issues, if so please, let me know.

Thanks to the developers we have quite usable and stable Froyo roms now. (for what i use the phone for).

Maybe when the "dump" from the official Chinese froyo is available most of the issues will be resolved. Hoping....

Guest compi.hu
I thought this was the way it's supposed to work - why would you want wifi awake if you put your phone to true sleep - that's the idea of true sleep - everything is off apart from radio for calls - otherwise it kills the battery.

As soon as you wake your phone it should reconnect (tho that has been an issue in the past and seems to be fixed one way or another) and grab emails etc.

The only time I would keep wifi active in the background was if I was say on MSN, and that has an option to prevent sleep - great for keeping messages coming in but not so good on the battery.

I'm not sure if setting wifi to never sleep relates to it not sleeping after not using it for a while, or not sleeping after sending the phone to deep sleep.

I cant say it's ever been an issue for me tho.

Again, as far as I can tell, everything is working as it's meant to be in that respect.

You got it wrong :D There is a menu in wifi settings (advanced) where you can set the wifi behavior during phone sleep (it's called wifi sleep policy). You can set it always, when not on charger or never. The behavior you mentioned is proper for "always" setting. Blade will not obey the "always" setting anyway, as it always behave according to "when not on charger" option.

The problem with it is that there are background tasks demanding permanent connection to the internet like checking your mail periodically and receiving instant messages without interruption (and sending an alert you about the incoming information). This works perfectly on my Desire Z, but is impossible with my Blade as it throws away the internet connection as soon as it goes to standby. It means that you will be notified about an incoming mail or about a gtalk message earliest when you pull the phone out of sleep and wifi reconnects. (Well I have a little bit different inderstanding about INSTANT messaging)

Guest saspipi
You got it wrong ;) There is a menu in wifi settings (advanced) where you can set the wifi behavior during phone sleep (it's called wifi sleep policy). You can set it always, when not on charger or never. The behavior you mentioned is proper for "always" setting. Blade will not obey the "always" setting anyway, as it always behave according to "when not on charger" option.

The problem with it is that there are background tasks demanding permanent connection to the internet like checking your mail periodically and receiving instant messages without interruption (and sending an alert you about the incoming information). This works perfectly on my Desire Z, but is impossible with my Blade as it throws away the internet connection as soon as it goes to standby. It means that you will be notified about an incoming mail or about a gtalk message earliest when you pull the phone out of sleep and wifi reconnects. (Well I have a little bit different inderstanding about INSTANT messaging)

actually you're talking about the same menu and he's right. if you read the smaller text under "wi-fi sleep policy" it explains that you can specify there when to switch from wifi to mobile data. there are 3 options (never, never when plugged in, when screen turns off)

- the "when screen turns off" option is for keeping the phone on the internet (with mobile data) when screens turns off!

- the "never when plugged in" is for keeping wifi when it is plugged in since it doesn't go to deep sleep when its plugged in therefore it can stay connected over wifi.

- finally, option "never" is for never ever switching to mobile data even when phone goes to deep sleep and loosing wifi.

so i think he was right and this menu is not for what you're saying and it's working as it should be.

by the way it wouldn't make sense if it would work like that. there would be no difference between deep sleep and the other. this what deep sleep is for. if you would like to keep connected continously (because of instant msging for.ex.) there are IMs out there that can stay connected over wifi and not letting the phone to go deep sleep. even more if your favourite mailer or messenger doesn't support it, there are plenty of 3rd party apps for doing that.

or you could just let it use mobile data with option "when screen turns off" so there won't be huge battery consumption but will remain connected to the internet.

Guest Picazsoo
actually you're talking about the same menu and he's right. if you read the smaller text under "wi-fi sleep policy" it explains that you can specify there when to switch from wifi to mobile data. there are 3 options (never, never when plugged in, when screen turns off)

- the "when screen turns off" option is for keeping the phone on the internet (with mobile data) when screens turns off!

- the "never when plugged in" is for keeping wifi when it is plugged in since it doesn't go to deep sleep when its plugged in therefore it can stay connected over wifi.

- finally, option "never" is for never ever switching to mobile data even when phone goes to deep sleep and loosing wifi.

so i think he was right and this menu is not for what you're saying and it's working as it should be.

by the way it wouldn't make sense if it would work like that. there would be no difference between deep sleep and the other. this what deep sleep is for. if you would like to keep connected continously (because of instant msging for.ex.) there are IMs out there that can stay connected over wifi and not letting the phone to go deep sleep. even more if your favourite mailer or messenger doesn't support it, there are plenty of 3rd party apps for doing that.

or you could just let it use mobile data with option "when screen turns off" so there won't be huge battery consumption but will remain connected to the internet.

You are wrong.