[Q] Rooting Questions; Effects and Consequences...

Guest sarshadd

Guest sarshadd

Sorry for the wall of text and for being a total noob and thank you for all your help !

So I've been researching all night (read the wiki to no avail too; so please don't simply direct me there) and I have some unanswered noob rooting questions questions and need general reassurance...

Basically I want is full and lasting root permissions on FRG83D 2.2.1 so I can remove system apps (twitter, amazon, etc...) through terminal commands and MAYBE a unlocked boot loader to flash a custom recovery image (Amon_RA) so I can make full nandroid backups.

1) It seems to me that unlocking the bootloader is a more flexible and permanent way to achieve root, as opposed to other '1-click' type methods in the face of firmware updates (2.3...), which would just disable root and it might not be re-achievable till another exploit is found whereas with an unlocked bootloader I can flash w/e I want?

2) Is it possible to enable root and use terminal on my n1 without some "superuser.apk" program? In order to do this would I use an insecure superboot and manually deploy SU?

3) How can I make a backup before rooting if I'm not rooted? I've been using my device for 8 months so there's a lot of stuff on there...

3a) If I can't make a full backup where can I find signed stock recovery images and boot images or updates zips so I can reflash them if I need to?

4) I believe if I superboot.img and leave everything (ROM and Recovery) stock will I still be able to receive and install OTA updates...?

4a) Can someone explain the difference between himem with updated wifi driver and not? I think himem removes permanent virtual address mapping so memory can be used for running applications. Asides from having more memory what are the tangible benefits or downsides to this? Would it make the system faster?Would I be able to multitask more apps before the system quits some because of lacking resources? Would the use of this extra memory inhibit system processes because there is no longer its own personal memory map?

4b) Will installing OTA updates remove root permission? If so, would simply flashing superboot.img re-grant me those permissions? But it would seem I need an updated superboot.img for the appropriate newer build(?). Is the development of superboot images still active and timely?

5) How important are OTAs and the stock recovery image? It would seem if I'm going to do any system moding (even just removing twitter/amazon) I should have a full and function Nandroid backup and would therefor need a custom recovery image- at the sake of missing OTAs (not important mainly because applying them would disable root etc anyway?)?

6) With root permissions and stock everything do I have to worry about manual baseband and radio updates? What about with a custom recovery image?

7) Apps2SD+ doesn't work with stock roms period and I would need a compatible custom rom?

Thanks again.