gprs/edge/2g/3g

Guest bigwall1

Guest bigwall1

hi,my sf is up and running now thanks to help from peeps on here...many thanks

im running pauls froyo 3 with no probs apart form the slow lock screen..

ive recently got a giffgaff sim and put it in and activated it,im in the process of getting my number out on it...

my problem is,the 02 site says 3g where i am but the phone mostly only gets gprs or says g on the notification bar..

if i restart sometimes upon restart i get e for edge..but still never 3g

does the android software that looks after this automatically switch to the faster connection if it becomes available as does my three dongle and my vodafone dongle.

what i am saying is that if it starts and only finds gprs (g) then it never seems to switch to anything else wherever i am (ive kept checking it whilst driving around to different places)

so even if i cant get 3g on giffgaff/02 where i am which i dont know for sure yet,surely the sf should switch to the fastest connection when available..?

cheers cliff....:-)

the only setting i can find relating to this is the only use 2g which i have switched off

Guest rbbrslmn

ive recently got a giffgaff sim and put it in and activated it,im in the process of getting my number out on it...

my problem is,the 02 site says 3g where i am but the phone mostly only gets gprs or says g on the notification bar..

does the android software that looks after this automatically switch to the faster connection if it becomes available as does my three dongle and my vodafone dongle.

what i am saying is that if it starts and only finds gprs (g) then it never seems to switch to anything else wherever i am (ive kept checking it whilst driving around to different places)

so even if i cant get 3g on giffgaff/02 where i am which i dont know for sure yet,surely the sf should switch to the fastest connection when available..?

the only setting i can find relating to this is the only use 2g which i have switched off

it should find the best connection, on giffgaff everywhere I've been I've had 3g+ (no where out in the wilds with it yet though)

you can check o2 coverage here to see what you should be getting

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

if it says its good for 'mobile internet' that indicates you should be getting 3G there.

Guest pellonet

I have found the data connection was very intermittent & slow on my SF after flashing the latest 2.2 ROMs from here & the problem proved to be the built in AP lists, they include a proxy entry for the GiffGaff data connection & it has been other people's experience that removing the proxy entries improves the speed/stability, it did for me so just leave them blank.

There are several threads in the GG site about this.

Hope it helps for you

Guest Storm3y
I have found the data connection was very intermittent & slow on my SF after flashing the latest 2.2 ROMs from here & the problem proved to be the built in AP lists, they include a proxy entry for the GiffGaff data connection & it has been other people's experience that removing the proxy entries improves the speed/stability, it did for me so just leave them blank.

There are several threads in the GG site about this.

Hope it helps for you

How did you remove these? When I go to delete each APN it doesnt let me delete them.

Guest pellonet
How did you remove these? When I go to delete each APN it doesnt let me delete them.

APN Backup & Restore, free from the Market

Then ad a new one with GiffgaffAPN also free from the market

Peter