CES News- Motorola Xoom Tablet announced

Guest squirreleater

Guest squirreleater

Motorola officially reveal the Xoom Tablet.

06-Jan-2011_XOOM_dyn_L_horiz_YouTube_CES-1-728-75-470x353.jpg

Well Google sort of showed this a few weeks ago during a speech by Andy Rubin, but yesterday Motorola revealed the eagerly awaited tablet to the world.

This is the first of the 10" tablets to be announced by the big players in the mobile and pc world, offering a direct rival to the hugely successful ipad.

A 10.1 inch 1280x800 resolution display, Nvidia tegra2 cpu, Android 3.0 honecomb, 5mp rear and 2mp front cameras,1gn ddr2 ram,3G and Wifi as well as 32gb onboard storage adds up to an impressive bit of kit.

No official word on price or release dates, but a Q1 release for the USA and apparently the UK is to get it's own press announcement soon.

(Twitter is alive with a rumoured Febuary release...)

Full specification stolen from Engadget

06-Jan-2011_xoom-spec-01052010-1294275054.jpg

Stuart.

Guest persko

saw the demos at the Motorola pages, this looks like an fantastic device,

almost cant wait until it is released here, unless something better shows

up in the mean time, I get to have one of these.

10 hours of video playback on the battery, that is OK.

If it is not released in Denmark; but in the UK, I might be able to get one

from Amazon.

Per

Guest McSpoon

I'm curious about the "SD card support after software update". Does that mean the SD card is initially useless? And when will the update become available?

Admittedly the 32GB of internal storage will do fine for now but it begs the question of how the update will change things. Will it make the SD card and internal drive magically appear as one big 64GB drive? or will the SD card be limited to just transferring files? Anyway, I'm sure someone will find a way to obtain it's full potential regardless.

I'm curious about the "SD card support after software update". Does that mean the SD card is initially useless? And when will the update become available?

Admittedly the 32GB of internal storage will do fine for now but it begs the question of how the update will change things. Will it make the SD card and internal drive magically appear as one big 64GB drive? or will the SD card be limited to just transferring files? Anyway, I'm sure someone will find a way to obtain it's full potential regardless.

I do not believe, it will become one big drive; but it would be interesting if it would get support for the new SDXC standard, with fast

data transfer, and you can already get them as 512GB, or will we be limited to the 32GB of SDHC.

Per

Just found the specs: unfortunately it is only SDHC, not SDXC:

http://developer.motorola.com/products/xoom/

Edited by persko

On the Motorola homepage, if I select location "Northern Europe", I cannot get to any information on XOOM;

but If I select UK or Western Europe, I can.

So apparently Motorola, has no plan for a release in Scandinavia; hope it will become available without

subscription from Amazon UK.

Per

Guest The_IMF

I would love this but the price being thrown around is about £750. That's far too much...

Why are ipad competitors charging more than the ipad for their devices? Are they not aware that there are a lot of sheep in this country that would prefer an ipad so they need to sell at lower prices, not higher??

Guest squirreleater
I would love this but the price being thrown around is about £750. That's far too much...

Why are ipad competitors charging more than the ipad for their devices? Are they not aware that there are a lot of sheep in this country that would prefer an ipad so they need to sell at lower prices, not higher??

If that is right it would be utter lunacy!

The Adam is less than £400 roughly, it's near as dammit as good as the Xoom....

Guest Master One

It has a front camera, so does this device support 3G video telephony (using the tablet with a BT headset as a phone, same as it's possible with the Samsung Galaxy Tab)?

• 1 month later...
Guest Infnordz

I second that, the prices for newer Android tablets are getting even more stupid. IMHO a price more than a netbook or a good laptop is absurd, and a price higher than the iPad has to be a piss-take or plain incompetence at cost control! :(

I'll stick with my MoDaCo mod'ed Advent Vega and my brand spanking new 16GB Class 4 SANDISK micro-SDHC card (£16 + P&P from an Amazon vendor, not PC-World's rip-off £60 price!!! :( ). I don't need a front facing camera or expensive to use 3G or 4G, WiFi does me fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.