Mobile Broadband dongles

Guest dukla2000

Guest dukla2000

The 3G thread meandered a little off-topic in parts discussing how to get 3G dongles to work. Without reaching a result, so figured running this thread to try collect/collate knowledge to try get a mobile broadband dongle up and running.

Having spent a bit researching this here is my 6p

1) We need Android to create /dev/ttyUSB* devices

2) We need some software & config stuff - Network Manager would be handy, ppp config otherwise.

I have a 3 (UK) ZTE MF112 dongle that fails on step 1. So nothing to contribute regarding step 2! In short the ttyUSB devices aren't created after it is inserted (or if the Vega is booted with the dongle already inserted). 99.99% certain this is the dreaded CD-ROM feature of the thing - need either usb_modeswitch or to flash the damn thing to get rid of the 'feature'. As far as I can tell on my PC, usb_modeswitch is standard on 2.6.34 - we can dream that Google will drag Android up to date at some stage!

First note - the dongle lights red, then green. All this means is it has power and is finding a mobile network, it is no indicator that the Vega/Android has done anything other than provide power.

OK - over to you!

Edited by dukla2000

We need some software & config stuff - Network Manager would be handy, ppp config otherwise.

My Vega reports that ppp is not in the kernel, which requires source to fix.

Guest Bobbler
My Vega reports that ppp is not in the kernel, which requires source to fix.

If they are bringing out a 3G equipped model (which IIRC is on the cards for the future, unless of course this falls by the wayside) then that could be addressed that way - as long as the device recognises

• 2 weeks later...
Guest inberno

I have found a post on the forum Folio100 about using 3G modems. I could not try because my modem is ZTE and Huawei operate only. The file would have to remove the boot image and perhaps work if someone has a Huawei could comment.

XDA DEVELOPERS

it could be a massive improvement to this tablet if someone can make 3g dongles work on the vega!

I'm going to look my 3g dongles to see the models I have around, but as I don't have the ClockworkMod installed I've no idea of how to update my vega to try it.

Thx!

Edited by Melted

Guest Bobbler

Can't make this work. But I don't really have much idea what I should be doing to make it work with the Vega.

I have clockwork installed, took a backup etc first

When you attempt to install the update.zip then you just get an error

assert failed: write_raw_image("cache/boot.img", "linux")

E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip

Status 7

Installation Aborted

I added the boot.img from the official firmware - thinking that it was this that caused the issue.

But same thing again.

So can't get to install it let alone try it with my 3G modem.

Guest simonta

Sorry all, you're just going to have to be patient.

If you replace the boot.img, you also replace the kernel (that's why replacing boot.img makes this work).

Many have tried other kernels but there's so much broken (wifi, sound, camera and others) that this is a dead end until the kernel source is released.

Happy to be proved wrong!!!!

Guest gingercat
push

I think you mean "bump" ;)

Could the OP please change the sub-title of this thread to "Guide needed to get your 3G dongle working"

("needed" added) - the current text is somewhat misleading and will keep leading people here expecting to find a solution ready for them, somewhat like the misleading keyword spamming used on eBay to lure in customers!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BakedBeans

I have a working, surfing conection via an Huawei E220 3G dongle on my Vega.

Details:

1. Installed theMoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega r7

2. Enabled USB Host Mode (USB Mode --> USB Host (required reboot)

3. Inserted the Huawei E220 USB Dongle (mine was a t-mobile PAYG dongle)

4. If USB Host Mode is enabled, the dongle will flash green, then blue

*Interesting bit*:

5a. Go to Settings --> Accounts & Sync --> Add Account

5b. Select 'Google'

5b. Hold down the back button (the physical button) for 2-5 seconds until a 'Wireless Settings' icon appears at the bottom of the screen

5c. Select 'Wireless Settings'

5d. Select '3G Service enabled'

5e. Select 'Data enabled'

5f. Select 'Network Operators' ... You may need to wait 10-30 seconds as the Vega configures itself to read the USB dongle, makes a connection and identifies what providers are available... the light on my USB Dongle went solid blue at this point (if I recall correctly)

5g. Choose your network operator

5h. The Vega notification bar will change to show a "3G" icon, which is animated to show upload/download action; and a signal strenth icon.

6. Ensure WiFi is off and surf to a website... In my case, I got the t-mobile top-up page, which showed me my dongle's phone number and the fact that I had no further credit on my account.

When you unplug the dongle, the notification bar will change to a red triable for 'No Service: Selected network unavailable).

At this point I don't know whether this is chewing my battery or not when not connected.. as the "No Service" notification does not go away, even though I've disabled '3G Service'.

This is my first post here, so if I've posted in the wrong please, let me know and I'll happily move it.

Cheers,

BB.

Excellent I have the exact same dongle so will give this a try, it will make the Vega a very powerful device.

Guest debs626

Details:

1. Installed theMoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega r7

2. Enabled USB Host Mode (USB Mode --> USB Host (required reboot)

3. Inserted the Huawei E220 USB Dongle (mine was a t-mobile PAYG dongle)

4. If USB Host Mode is enabled, the dongle will flash green, then blue

*Interesting bit*:

5a. Go to Settings --> Accounts & Sync --> Add Account

5b. Select 'Google'

5b. Hold down the back button (the physical button) for 2-5 seconds until a 'Wireless Settings' icon appears at the bottom of the screen

5c. Select 'Wireless Settings'

5d. Select '3G Service enabled'

5e. Select 'Data enabled'

5f. Select 'Network Operators' ... You may need to wait 10-30 seconds as the Vega configures itself to read the USB dongle, makes a connection and identifies what providers are available... the light on my USB Dongle went solid blue at this point (if I recall correctly)

5g. Choose your network operator

5h. The Vega notification bar will change to show a "3G" icon, which is animated to show upload/download action; and a signal strenth icon.

6. Ensure WiFi is off and surf to a website... In my case, I got the t-mobile top-up page, which showed me my dongle's phone number and the fact that I had no further credit on my account.

When you unplug the dongle, the notification bar will change to a red triable for 'No Service: Selected network unavailable).

At this point I don't know whether this is chewing my battery or not when not connected.. as the "No Service" notification does not go away, even though I've disabled '3G Service'.

This is my first post here, so if I've posted in the wrong please, let me know and I'll happily move it.

Cheers,

BB.

I'm 99.9999% sure this is also working on the E160g (3 network) cant say for sure as I dont have any credit on the sim to pull up a web page but I get the 3G signal strength icon :P

Thanks for sharing your find :D

Been searching for my 3g Dongle for a month now... It's some around the house, but no at clue where. Willing to try this method asap.

If this works, you are the MAN.

Guest Jisonga

Now this very interesting once a few more members give the thumbs up with differrent dongles i am off to buy one.

Thanks once again for members here taking the time to not only figure these things out but to post here for others to use.

Jason.

Guest Restless_UK

I'm aware this is a little off topic but i'm just asking for a yes or no answer sooo i hope it's ok.. i have a desire that i use as a wifi access point to get a connection should i need one but i also have a spare Huawei E220 and was just wondering if this would give me a stronger signal if i got a sim for it...??? i'm on o2 with the desire if that helps as comparison in signal strengh..

Guest carl rose

Works great with the 3 uk Huawei 160G. It doesn't just connect, I got credit on my sim and I can browse the internet just fine at super speed, wow what a great find!!! Many thanks to the fella that found this, how did you find this out by the way?

By the way I managed to remove the warning sign that it can't find networks, just take the dongle out, disable data and 3g and enable slave mode. The vega will reboot and the sign is gone

Edited by carl rose

That sound good....what pay as you go deals is everyone using. Don't know which one to buy.... 3 or T-Mobile etc...

The T mobile is £2 per day after your initial outlay.

I think its time for a trip to the shops :P