22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Is there a reason why we shall remove the battery and put it back in before booting into clockwork? If I get into clockwork without the battery-thing, is it ok? or is the install not reliable?

Guest noobKeef

Having done a week or so of internet reading I got my first smart phone ever, the Zte Blade, last week. I had already found your site by then and read plenty of your posts and was sure I could follow your guides to unlock, root, backup and install Japanese Jellyfish. Arr Too’s unlock app worked a treat particularly as I was reluctant to give my IMEI to the web. I had no trouble understanding and following your guide with regard to using the Recovery Manager. I had two issues: 1. getting super user permissions. One of the posts I read suggested running the Root element a couple of times and that worked for me, and 2 was the driver issue but again I followed the posts advice and that also worked. Running the Recovery Manager for backup and installing JJ worked perfectly without any hitch.

The phone is lightning fast and so much more appealing without the orange stuff, and I am delighted with it. I have to say I am most impressed with the stuff you guys have done and the help you give us noobs. Many, many thanks.

Please excuse my noobness.

A couple of questions.

I have ClockWork 2.5.0.9 installed, Can I use this version to install a newer rom (specifically Japanese Jellyfish RLS9) Or do I have to update it to 3.0.0.5 or 2.5.1.8?

I have done a Full Backup using ClockWork, once I have installed the new rom If I restore will it just put back apps and data or does it also restore the old rom?

I did look but answers to these 2 specific questions eluded me.

thx.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Is there a reason why we shall remove the battery and put it back in before booting into clockwork? If I get into clockwork without the battery-thing, is it ok? or is the install not reliable?

Its not really required - its just to make sure its rebooted.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Please excuse my noobness.

A couple of questions.

I have ClockWork 2.5.0.9 installed, Can I use this version to install a newer rom (specifically Japanese Jellyfish RLS9) Or do I have to update it to 3.0.0.5 or 2.5.1.8?

I have done a Full Backup using ClockWork, once I have installed the new rom If I restore will it just put back apps and data or does it also restore the old rom?

I did look but answers to these 2 specific questions eluded me.

thx.

Yes some of the newer ROMS need a newer clockwork.

Restoring in clockwork - restores EVERYTHING Boot / ROM / DATA - it will be exactly like you had it before you ran the restore (it doesn't restore recovery (clockwork))

Guest Nitsson

A big thanks for the guide. Was looking for a entry-level Android phone for my girlfriend and OSF fit the bill perfectly. Bought it in a Orange shop on Oxford Street, and unlocked / installed JF in under an hour thanks to the guides. Feels much more responsive without the Orange stuff and on OS 2.2.

As an iPhone user of two years (jailbroken, of course) I miss a few things in Android OS (most notably swipe-to-delete for messages) but there are so many positives. I love to customise and will seriously consider Android when it's time for me to upgrade, probably in the summer when I've seen what iPhone 5 has to offer.

Guest Jaminben
So here are the Steps

Download to your Phones SD Card

Recovery manager was a ZIP file, I unzipped it so now its a IMG file on my SD card, should I have done this? Or left it zipped?

Also where on the sd card should I put these? Just at the root? Because there's a folder called android etc.

Also I'm going to use the japanese jellyfish rom (for now), it says I should wipe :

IMPORTANT! Everyone must wipe data/cache when updating from RLS7 or erlier. Even if you tried RLS7.5 (sorry but I signed some more stuff after RLS7.5 so a wipe is needed)

When updating to RLS9 from RLS8 a full wipe is not needed but you must wipe data from the three Contacts related apps and resync your contacts. If unsure, do a full wipe.

How do I do this?

Guest leavitnow
Ok Everyone?

I know its a big change, but its time to move with the times.

Any veterans who would like to follow my guide word for word and see if I made any mistakes please do so,

likewise if anyone gets stuck - or thinks it could be clearer please please please post.

i used paul's r4 rom using 2.5.1.3 at that time in november 2010, can i use completely new recovery i.e. 3.0.0.5 as i could not find any update for 2.5.1.3 ?? please advise as i really want to use froyo now??

appreciate your help, welcome your expert advise.

many many thanks

dave [email protected]

Guest StevenHarperUK
i used paul's r4 rom using 2.5.1.3 at that time in november 2010, can i use completely new recovery i.e. 3.0.0.5 as i could not find any update for 2.5.1.3 ?? please advise as i really want to use froyo now??

appreciate your help, welcome your expert advise.

many many thanks

dave [email protected]

Yes 3.0.0.5 will be fine with Japanese Jellyfish

Guest StevenHarperUK
Recovery manager was a ZIP file, I unzipped it so now its a IMG file on my SD card, should I have done this? Or left it zipped?

Also where on the sd card should I put these? Just at the root? Because there's a folder called android etc.

Also I'm going to use the japanese jellyfish rom (for now), it says I should wipe :

IMPORTANT! Everyone must wipe data/cache when updating from RLS7 or erlier. Even if you tried RLS7.5 (sorry but I signed some more stuff after RLS7.5 so a wipe is needed)

When updating to RLS9 from RLS8 a full wipe is not needed but you must wipe data from the three Contacts related apps and resync your contacts. If unsure, do a full wipe.

How do I do this?

Recovery Manager is an APK file

Recovery.img is clockwork

If you choose the install in Recovery Manager (latest) it will do a wipe for you.

Guest LostGeordie

Hi guys,

Looking forward to trying this new way. A few months back i sucessfully flashedmy phone using the old way. This way sounds amazing and im keen to now try 2.2. To do so i need to update clockwork. So i had planned to install it again, as described as i believe it will just lay itself over the older version?

Ive had a problem, as when i click the links to download clockwork (not the zip), i just get an internet page with lots of code. What am i doing wrong? Im pinching a mac to do it on, as im normally on a pc at home.

Finally, i have a backup made from my current version on clockwork. What will happen to that when i upgrade?

Any advise woulf be much apprecaited. I had spent sone time searching and browsing without sucess.

Andy

Guest timbo347
Ok Everyone?

Thanks Steven - I just rooted and reflashed my ZTE Blade to 2.2 - this all works fine. I had a glitch when my phone didn't reboot, following putting on the new ROM, but fixed it with the HELP! instructions. Great work - thanks again. Tim

Guest StevenHarperUK
lush cheers, by latest i take it you mean the one you said in your step by step guide which i quoted (0.29b) or did you mean the 0.32 beta? cheers!

Both will do - the interface is different (slightly) in 0.32

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi guys,

Looking forward to trying this new way. A few months back i sucessfully flashedmy phone using the old way. This way sounds amazing and im keen to now try 2.2. To do so i need to update clockwork. So i had planned to install it again, as described as i believe it will just lay itself over the older version?

Ive had a problem, as when i click the links to download clockwork (not the zip), i just get an internet page with lots of code. What am i doing wrong? Im pinching a mac to do it on, as im normally on a pc at home.

Finally, i have a backup made from my current version on clockwork. What will happen to that when i upgrade?

Any advise woulf be much apprecaited. I had spent sone time searching and browsing without sucess.

Andy

The browser is trying to render the .img file - instead of downloading it - better to grab it on a PC (firefox) and copy across.

Use Recovery manager to put on a New Clockwork version - the old ones don't cover the new ROM install requirements.

Your old backups should work with the new Clockwork, but you can always revert clockwork to restore the older clockwork.

Guest HCFC Clark

Hey, new user here. Never owned a smart phone before and this is my first Android device.

I've tried following your guide to put a custom rom on my SF, but im getting a little stuck in some parts.

I've managed to install ASTRO File Manager and got to the point of checking if the MD5 sum is the same on the recover-clockwork-blade-2.5.1.8.img and the rom i want to put on my phone (in this case the Japenese_Jellyfish_RLS9). However, the MD5's on the recover-clockwork-blade-2.5.1.8.img is different to what it should be (cae9935b88359dc96859d39f20d8a821) and the two files dont have matching MD5's.

So i followed the guide and downloaded the recover-clockwork-blade-2.5.1.8.img again, but the MD5 was still incorrect and remained the same.

So im now stuck at this point. I have no idea what to do as the guide doesn't say what to do in this scenario. Can somebody please help?

P.S Does anyone know why my phone keeps saying 'SD Card unexpectidely removed' whenever i copy the files on to my SD card off my computer? Not only does this crash my computer and I have to use task manager to get the computer back to normal, but i have to restart the phone again as whenever i plug the phone back into the PC it doesn't recognise it.

P.S.S Is it me or is the video different to the written guide? Some of the files are different and the order of instructions arent the same either :S

Edited by HCFC Clark

Guest StevenHarperUK
However, the MD5's on the recover-clockwork-blade-2.5.1.8.img is different to what it should be (cae9935b88359dc96859d39f20d8a821) and the two files dont have matching MD5's.

This must match - I am downloading it now to double check it.

EDIT : yes the md5 is correct

md5sum recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img 
cae9935b88359dc96859d39f20d8a821 recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img[/code]

P.S Does anyone know why my phone keeps saying 'SD Card unexpectidely removed' whenever i copy the files on to my SD card off my computer? Not only does this crash my computer and I have to use task manager to get the computer back to normal, but i have to restart the phone again as whenever i plug the phone back into the PC it doesn't recognise it.

This is probably why your md5's aren't matching - the SD card or the slot it goes into on the phone is damaged / not working properly / I would try another SD Card first.

P.S.S Is it me or is the video different to the written guide? Some of the files are different and the order of instructions arent the same either :S

Yeh both work though - the video was a bit ad-hoc - but it is still correct.

Guest StevenHarperUK

I have a Zte Joe-Vodafone 945 i flashed r12 but the phone doesn't start i think i bricked my phone. i have a backup but it also doesn't start. what can i do at this stage? there is a sand clock on the screen nothing happens. i can reach recovery mode. please somebody give me advice

Edited by bahat

Guest StevenHarperUK
I have a Zte Joe-Vodafone 945 i flashed r12 but the phone doesn't start i think i bricked my phone. i have a backup but it also doesn't start. what can i do at this stage? there is a sand clock on the screen nothing happens. i can reach recovery mode. please somebody give me advice

How did you make your backup?

Which recovery mode is it? (Clockwork)?

Have you done a Wipe Cache and Data in clockwork?

Guest HCFC Clark

Thanks for your reply Steve.

I've now followed your guide using a different memory card and the problem is now non existant.

Unfortunately, I have a new problem again!

I have got to the final step of your guide where I install the ROM via recovery manager. I did a backup of the entire phone, and now when I go to launch recovery manager it says

'Sorry!

The application recovery manager (process com.podtwo.RecoveryManager) has stopped working unexpectidly. Please try again'

and it tells me to force close the application.

I have since re-booted my phone, deleted the application of my SD card and re installing it onto the phone and sd card, but this still pops up.

Do you know what I can do to fix this, as i am so close to finally putting a new rom on my phone after plucking up the courage to do so!

I'm going to re-download the recovery manager and put it back on my phone to see if that works, and I shall let you know how it goes :P

Guest HCFC Clark

Right I un-sntalled all the files off my phone, removed them off my memory card and then deleted them off my PC. I then just re-downloaded all the files, put them back onto my SD and followed the guide again. Im now installing the ROM, and shall let you know how it goes. FIngers crossed it works! :P

edit: it worked :D:D:D

thanks for your help anyway, now im going to go play!

Edited by HCFC Clark

Guest StevenHarperUK
Right I un-sntalled all the files off my phone, removed them off my memory card and then deleted them off my PC. I then just re-downloaded all the files, put them back onto my SD and followed the guide again. Im now installing the ROM, and shall let you know how it goes. FIngers crossed it works! :P

edit: it worked :D:D:D

thanks for your help anyway, now im going to go play!

Ha - just seen your post(s) - well done on getting it sorted.

My instructions of if you see the Recovery manager crashing are (for future reference)

• Kill Superuser (with a task killer)
  • Open Settings -> Manage Applications -> Recovery Manager
  • Clear the cache for recovery Manager
  • Re-launch recovery Manager

Should I add them to the first post?