[UPDATED]Performance Tweaks etc on Android!.

Guest gauravv

Guest centodue
Hi Centodue

I am going to try it the Italian way.......may be i like it :D

I can say to be really satisfied.

Thank you again to Erickas for the solution to 30 second problem....IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

The only things not working at the moment with big interest for many of them are:

- bluetooth

- wifi

- camera

- tilt sensor (rotation)

the other problems are secondary , and using this status of development it is possible to have already a good solution for all days uses

good luck to you Bounser and good android :D

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin

RotateD doesn't work on my phone, so no landscape yet for me :D

i am getting a iritated with the SOD everytime, after doing some searching i came across the following solutions:

* Enable only 2G in Settings => when i tick the damn box it doesn't aply and goes back to unticked, no go :S

* boot android with Charger => after unplugging the charger it doesn't solve the SOD, no go

* use EXT3 instead of EXT2 on my storage => no go

* use cpuboost and set Screen off Max 384000, screen off Min 245000 in Screen off profile => no go

all options are running running out? maybe wait for beta3 or RC before using android as a complete alternative

Guest erikcas
* use cpuboost and set Screen off Max 384000, screen off Min 245000 in Screen off profile => no go

all options are running running out? maybe wait for beta3 or RC before using android as a complete alternative

Ashwin,

besides CPUboost I have Advancend Task Killer Free running. I didn't have a SOD since monday. I booted monday without charger attached, I think this has nothing to do with this problem. I haven't shutdown my phone from monday till now. :D

In settings of Advanced Task Killer, I have it Auto started. Auto Kill level, Agressive.

Auto Kill Frequency, When Screen Off.

When I open Advanced Task Killer from taskbar, I only have unchecked (so, not to be killed):

* CPUboost

* Advanced Taskkiller Free

* Whatsapp (I think this is optional, I prefer to receive whatsapp msgs, even during sleep)

* you have to play around a bit which apps to be killed, when sleep. But for me, when I kill as much apps I don't think I need, I dont get SOD.

For me this works perfectly.

Maybe you can try this? I'm very interested if it works for you too.

grtz Erik

Edited by erikcas

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
Ashwin,

besides CPUboost I have Advancend Task Killer Free running. I didn't have a SOD since monday. I booted monday without charger attached, I think this has nothing to do with this problem. I haven't shutdown my phone from monday till now. :D

In settings of Advanced Task Killer, I have it Auto started. Auto Kill level, Agressive.

Auto Kill Frequency, When Screen Off.

When I open Advanced Task Killer from taskbar, I only have unchecked (so, not to be killed):

* CPUboost

* Advanced Taskkiller Free

* Whatsapp (I think this is optional, I prefer to receive whatsapp msgs, even during sleep)

* you have to play around a bit which apps to be killed, when sleep. But for me, when I kill as much apps I don't think I need, I dont get SOD.

For me this works perfectly.

Maybe you can try this? I'm very interested if it works for you too.

grtz Erik

i've installed the Apps, and checking it now, so far so good at the moment.

now i need to find an alternative for RotateD to put my phone in landscape, something that triggers landscape automatic when i want to compose a message.

one question if i may ask, how is your battery life ATM?

Guest centodue

I set CPUboost and Advanced Task Killer as you described but , in random way, it cannot wake up by sleep status and I must reset system again.

In 2 days about 6 times. What could be this faulty?

Guest Superwuppy
OK,here is what I did:

1.Install VMWare Player

2.Download UBUNTU 32 bit version from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

3.Install Ubuntu

4.Download & install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

5.Take your phone ,go to Samsung Settings USB settings and set USB Connection to My Storage

6.Back up your My Storage to Storage Card (or you will loose all data there)

7.Connect the phone to the PC-> it will connect like mass storage device

8.Open MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition,select the Storage device Samsung and delete the partition->then click create and create 1020 Mb(in my case of 2 GB Internal Storage) FAT 32 partition(give it a name like disk0 without space),there will be left about 1 GB unallocated storage->select right button,click create partition format EXT2 (or EXT3) with a name like disk and select APPLY!->your My Storage will be formatted!!!you will see only 1 GB Storage device in My Computer in Windows.

(EDIT: You can format in the UBUNTU also with Disk Utility ,but first use Unmount storage.)

9.Copy the entire beta1024 folder content on the root of the storage device in Windows! ,not the folder,the content with Android files: ext2.targz default.txt zImage o2beta folder Haret.exe and o2bupdate.tar.gz

10.Disconnect phone & launch VMWare Player and run UBUNTU.

11.connect the phone, it will be recognized like android storage device.

12.In the Ubuntu go to Applications-Accessories run Terminal,--> write down this:

sudo cp /media/disk0/ext2.tar.gz /media/disk/ and wait untill finishes

after that write:

cd /media/disk/ there will be a line like : cd /media/disk$

you must write down this after this line:

sudo tar xzvf ext2.tar.gz -C /media/disk

(edit: you can also extract all you o2bupdate.tar.gz to system with above methods)

And you go,all the content of ext2.tar.gz will be extracted to disk (in this case Android partition) -> at the end of extraction unplug the phone from PC

13.Turn of the VMWare Plater & Ubuntu, plug the USB with the phone to PC again and edit the line:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init" to this:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"[/b and save it (EDIT: if you get kernel panic you can try mmcblk0p6 ,or mmcblk0p2 if you have a ext3 partition)

14.Unplug phone -> and run Haret exe from the root of My Storage not from inside o2beta folder

And you are ready to test

SOURCE: Quato7906

I've done this but every time i try to boot

I end up with a black screen en reboot to winmo

done multiple resets en formats

can get it to work running on mystorage

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
I've done this but every time i try to boot

I end up with a black screen en reboot to winmo

done multiple resets en formats

can get it to work running on mystorage

you must update the 2d/3d drivers, this is mostly likely the cause because you didn't do the update

@ErickCas

now i haven't got a SOD again Thanks,

aditionally, i've installed a app that kills the 3G connection when my phone goes to sleep, and re-enables it when i wake up the phone, android is running from tommorow 11:00 till now (16:11) and i have 89% battery left :D , damn finally everything solved apart from the landscape issue

Guest gauravv

i have a strange problem

i was using android but then when i shut it down and start again i get kernal panic it happened two times!!

and can some post call light apk plz....

Guest Superwuppy
you must update the 2d/3d drivers, this is mostly likely the cause because you didn't do the update

@ErickCas

aditionally, i've installed a app that kills the 3G connection when my phone goes to sleep, and re-enables it when i wake up the phone, android is running from tommorow 11:00 till now (16:11) and i have 89% battery left :D , damn finally everything solved apart from the landscape issue

can someone give me the wright 2d/3d drivers

try to install beta2

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
i have a strange problem

i was using android but then when i shut it down and start again i get kernal panic it happened two times!!

and can some post call light apk plz....

Which panic do you get? some detailed information would be helpfull

can someone give me the wright 2d/3d drivers

try to install beta2

are you familiar with our search function? try to use it next time, it could be a bit faster LOL

anyway here is the link; http://rapidshare.com/#!download|482l3...ate.tar.gz|1480:D

Edited by ashwin Bhagwandin

Guest Superwuppy
are you familiar with our search function? try to use it next time, it could be a bit faster LOL

I am, but with all the different tuto's wich one

should ik use thene :D

thanx for the link

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
@ErickCas

update 19:46: current battery level 71%, the auto 3G switcher works great, even after doing e-mail setup and some shopping in the market :D

Guest Superwuppy
aditionally, i've installed a app that kills the 3G connection when my phone goes to sleep, and re-enables it when i wake up the phone,

Wich app is that ???? :D

Edited by Superwuppy

Guest tjeerdos
i've installed the Apps, and checking it now, so far so good at the moment.

now i need to find an alternative for RotateD to put my phone in landscape, something that triggers landscape automatic when i want to compose a message.

one question if i may ask, how is your battery life ATM?

hi ashwin,

rotated, doesn't triggers landscape automatic. the app makes 2 icons rotateL and rotateP you have to use them for the landscape and portrait.

i use it often for my navigation.......

greets tjeerdos

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
hi ashwin,

rotated, doesn't triggers landscape automatic. the app makes 2 icons rotateL and rotateP you have to use them for the landscape and portrait.

i use it often for my navigation.......

greets tjeerdos

i know, however rotated doesn't work with my phone :D when i click RotateL it goes to landscape for a second and goes back to portrait, so i can't use landscape :D:((:):(

Guest centodue

I tried to use RotateD but "rotateL" change in landscape just a moment and come back in portrait...why?? (the same of Ashwin!!)

My model is B7610.

For the moment I have the next not working (i think for everybody):

- Bluetooth

- Wifi

- Camera

- Rotation

Faulty or problems present:

- when I switch off display or give command to switch on there is always a double flash of the screen

- in sleep status: to wake up I need to push central key (between call/stop-call keys) ones and then twice stop-call key, then wait some second and push again central key. Not always but many times so, because first selection of central key does not give immediately wake up command to the screen.

- to much high consumption:

1) brightness always low

2) for long time screen off (sleep) during work hours

3) sync and GPS off in Power Control bar

Using Market and facebook for 15 min the battery level decreases about 25%...I cannot arrive to the end of the day without charge again

Edited by centodue

Wich app is that ???? :D

I've just loaded 'Data on Demand'.

Using the last install method above on here, my phone has been stable for the last 48 hours with no sleep of death. I have though noticed that the wake up behaviour is different depending if the phone is on charge or not.

When the phone is on charge, it will wake up every time using the 'smile' button.

When it is not on charge, wake up is obtained by pressing a key on the hardware keyboard, usually twice.

I've just seen that the guys on the i8000 Android thread are experimenting with Ext4 partitions.

Vic

Edited by Vic20

I've just seen that the guys on the i8000 Android thread are experimenting with Ext4 partitions.

Vic

yes ... ext4 is much faster at file i/o ... that helps to shortn the bootime a little .. and bootanimations looks smoother

but i don't know if android producing at runtime so much file i/o that it will do any performance-increase.

Quadrant shows a 4 to 5 times higher i/o value on ext4 compared to ext3

Guest tjeerdos
i know, however rotated doesn't work with my phone :D when i click RotateL it goes to landscape for a second and goes back to portrait, so i can't use landscape :D:((:):(

okey what worked for me is ........

go to android settings.

sound and display.

scroll down.

orientation switch put that on....

then it should work.

i think hahaha well it worked for me

greets tjeerdos

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
okey what worked for me is ........

go to android settings.

sound and display.

scroll down.

orientation switch put that on....

then it should work.

i think hahaha well it worked for me

greets tjeerdos

omg, i had that function already on, but i reinstalled the app which solved the issue :D great ! however ? is not working on the keyboard, but hey, it is damn nice for a beta? agree?

Guest tjeerdos
omg, i had that function already on, but i reinstalled the app which solved the issue :D great ! however ? is not working on the keyboard, but hey, it is damn nice for a beta? agree?

it sure is great. maybe it was off the first time you installed it?

i am now thinking of maybe go to ext4.

dont realy know if its better for me. (maybe you) ..

also hope to get video someday. for now if i get one to play it stotters. and camera want that to but who doesnt hahaha

greetss tjeerdos

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin

also hope to get video someday. for now if i get one to play it stotters. and camera want that to but who doesnt hahaha

greetss tjeerdos

i am a bit sceptic when it comes to EXT4, originally android scores 250 on our phone's and with EXT4 ??291?? , that is a improvement of aprox 20% and when actually using our phones instead of benching you will think "is that it ? "

but that is my opinion, it is just like overclocking your computer @home, Example=> yaaay i overclocked my i7 from 3,2 to 3,8 GHZ and got 2.000 points extra in xxx3dmark. that is great FOR 3dmark, but when you open your browser you won't see the difference, just like using ext4 instead of ext2-3

EDIT: no, i didn't tried EXT4 , i think that the performance gain is a bit over rated:)

Guest erikcas

greetss tjeerdos

Will go to ext4 tonight when I get home from work. Will keep you posted!

grtz Erik

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
Will go to ext4 tonight when I get home from work. Will keep you posted!

grtz Erik

hmm i am still a bit curious to be honest :D:P

maybe i will post some android stuff and manuals on my own site :D

it is not dutch so everyone can enjoy using and browsing android stuff on my site? would it be convienent?