[UPDATED]Performance Tweaks etc on Android!.

Guest gauravv

i am a bit sceptic when it comes to EXT4, originally android scores 250 on our phone's and with EXT4 ??291??

on my phone it had a i/o scoring of ~180 with ext3 - with ext4 the score was ~770

so it's a little bit more than 20% :D (590/1.8 -> ~320% i/o performance plus)

now the '1 million dollar question' will be - how much file i/o is produced by android & will android need more file i/o as provided by ext3 ... or ... is the file i/o sometimes the bottleneck?

i can not answer that (now)

but i can surly say that the possibility of file i/o bottlenecks can be reduced with ext4.

Edited by mosci

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
on my phone it had a i/o scoring of ~180 with ext3 - with ext4 the score was ~770

now the '1 million dollar question' will be - how much file i/o is produced by android & will android need more file i/o as provided by ext3 ... or ... is the file i/o sometimes the bottleneck?

but i can surly say that the possibility of file i/o bottlenecks can be reduced with ext4.

hmm so far my experience reaches, it seems that the I/O is small bottleneck: the GUI lags a bit and market sometimes, we need to check the usage of the CPU and the GPU when running Apps which uses alot of the CPU and the GPU which results in the following conclusions

let's say when you are gaming and it lags with 70% CPU usage and 60& GPU usage (fictional) => it will be likely that we're having driver issues And/OR I/O ouput issue's

and let's say when you are gaming and it lags with 100% CPU usage and 100& GPU usage => drivers are functioning okay and is the file i/o the only bottle neck

correct me if wrong

EDIT: TYPO :D

Edited by ashwin Bhagwandin

Guest erikcas

Maybe a dumb question, I can't find this with search on forum: What app do you use for reading "score" :D

Anyway, @ work, preparing my beta2 filesystem for ext4 install over ssh :) (adding 2d3d and Mosci's latest keyboard fix to the beta2 filesystem)

Hope this will work out of the box.

grtz Erik

Edited by erikcas

Maybe a dumb question, I can't find this with search on forum: What app do you use for reading "score" :D

grtz Erik

i used Quadrant-Advanced (-> Custom-Benchmark -> i/o)

Guest tjeerdos

i want to tar my disk(ext3) in ubuntu so that i can untar it on disk(ext4) like an back up.

will this work?

this way i can test ext4 and put it back on ext3 if no success

greets tjeerdos

i want to tar my disk(ext3) in ubuntu so that i can untar it on disk(ext4) like an back up.

will this work?

this way i can test ext4 and put it back on ext3 if no success

greets tjeerdos

yes, that works - i did it the same way - just think about useing the 'p' switch of tar for keeping file permissions

Guest tjeerdos
yes, that works - i did it the same way - just think about useing the 'p' switch of tar for keeping file permissions

what is it that i have to type? sudo tar.............???

thanks

what is it that i have to type? sudo tar.............???

thanks

assuming you are in /media and your android rootfs is mounted on /media/android-rootfs

cd android-rootfs

sudo tar -cvpzf ../my_android_archive.tar.gz ./

then you will have a gzipped tarball named my_android_archive.tar.gz in /media

after prepairing the filesystem you do the following to extract:

cd /media/android-rootfs

tar -xvzpv ../my_android_archive.tar.gz

this will extract the tarbal to the current directory

Edited by mosci

Guest tjeerdos
assuming you are in /media and your android rootfs is mounted on /media/android-rootfs

cd android-rootfs

then you will have a gzipped tarball named my_android_archive.tar.gz in /media

okey thanks will try it later. thanks

i think my line will be

cd /media/disk/

am i right? so this way i will have disk backed up

cd /media/disk/

am i right? so this way i will have disk backed up

if /media/disk contains the rootfs of your andoid - yes

you can add some excludes because /proc,/sys,/dev,/temp don't need to be archived

but than you have to create the empty directoroies after extracting.

this will look like this tar -cvzpf ../my_android_archive.tar.gz --exclude=./proc --exclude=./temp --exclude=./sys --exclude=./dev ./

after extracting you have to run (in /media/disk)

mkdir dev sys proc temp

Edited by mosci

on disk is everything that was in ext2.tar.gz if that is what you mean??

thats what i mean ;-)

but remember that the kernel (zImage) must support ext4 otherwise the boot will end up in a kernel panic

only my latest kernel (comment #95 on issue 6) will support ext4 - the original beta2-kernel (zImage) does NOT support ext4!

so you need to have a zImage with ext4 support and the modules for this kernel.

you can download the qwerty/qwertz package

unzip it ...

this will unpack a kernel (zImage) and a o2b2update.tar.gz

copy the zImage next to your haret.exe

then you can go again into /media/disk

and do a tar -xvzpf /path/to/the/o2b2update.tar.gz/from/my/package to install needed modules to the rootfs

Edited by mosci

Guest erikcas
thats what i mean ;-)

but remember that the kernel (zImage) must support ext4 otherwise the boot will end up in a kernel panic

only my latest kernel (comment #95 on issue 6) will support ext4 - the original beta2-kernel (zImage) does NOT support ext4!

unzip it ... copy the zImage next to your haret.exe

and do a tar -xvzpf /path/to/the/o2b2update.tar.gz/from/my/package to install needed modules to the rootfs

Better idea! I already applied your latest keyboard update from this afternoon. Clone my current android install to ext4. My girlfriend will hate me for this. An extra hour on my laptop tonight.

grtz Erik

Edited by erikcas

Guest Superwuppy

hi

i found a funny BUG

my battery was low so i plugged in the charger (i was downloading an app to see if app worked)

my battery icon changed to charging

after a view minutes (25 mins) when clock changed to the green numbered clock

the battery icon was showing almost empty , then i unplugged the charger

and icon changed to an charging icon ???????

in settings battery shows 0% and still charging (with no charger plugged in :D )

Hilarious !!!! :D :) :) :) :P :lol:

Guest erikcas
hi

i found a funny BUG

my battery was low so i plugged in the charger (i was downloading an app to see if app worked)

my battery icon changed to charging

after a view minutes (25 mins) when clock changed to the green numbered clock

the battery icon was showing almost empty , then i unplugged the charger

and icon changed to an charging icon ???????

in settings battery shows 0% and still charging (with no charger plugged in :D )

Hilarious !!!! :D :) :) :) :P :lol:

Oke, I thought I noticed battery draining when charging.. But I wasn't shure. Hmm..

Guest tjeerdos
thats what i mean ;-)

unzip it ...

copy the zImage next to your haret.exe

okay i think i have an problem... because i had a lot of problems with beta 2 in reinstalled beta1 and have 0 problems.

i did all you said but will your kernel beta2 work for me on beta1

thanks

okay i think i have an problem... because i had a lot of problems with beta 2 in reinstalled beta1 and have 0 problems.

i did all you said but will your kernel beta2 work for me on beta1

thanks

ofcause ... kernel from beta2 (B7610-beta2-keyboard-fix.zip) works on beta1 also - but this kernel has NO ext4 support :D

kernel beta2 that is the kernel from comment 70 not from comment 95 (QWERTY-B7610_rev80.zip or QWERTZ-B7610_rev80.zip ).

I'm thinking the reason for high battery drain is incorrect 2/3g transmitter power control.

I am a radio systems engineer.

What do others see their received signal strength as? (settings/ about / status) Mine seems to be permanently at -81dBm 16 asu. At work I can get within 30 metres of a 3G transmitter base aerial and my phone still shows the same signal strength. It should be waaay higher, I'm guessing something like -30dBm which is a power factor of 10 thousand times higher!

The signal strength of a received signal determines the power output that the phone transmits at so that it can be 'heard ' by the receiver. If the phone is unnecessarily transmitting too much power it is wasting battery power and also causing data errors with the receiver.

Perhaps this is a clue to reducing battery drain?

Vic

Edited by Vic20

Guest tjeerdos
ofcause ... kernel from beta2 (B7610-beta2-keyboard-fix.zip) works on beta1 also - but this kernel has NO ext4 support :D

kernel beta2 that is the kernel from comment 70 not from comment 95 (QWERTY-B7610_rev80.zip or QWERTZ-B7610_rev80.zip ).

well all done what you said. but when i start android i get no errors. but when the bootscreen should come. i get a black screen and nothing happens anymore

do you have an idea what is wrong??

well all done what you said. but when i start android i get no errors. but when the bootscreen should come. i get a black screen and nothing happens anymore

do you have an idea what is wrong??

sounds like the correct kernel-modules are missing in the android-rootfs (partition)

this modules are inside the o2b2update.tar.gz which was also in the zip-archive with the kernel (zImige).

Guest tjeerdos
sounds like the correct kernel-modules are missing in the android-rootfs (partition)

this modules are inside the o2b2update.tar.gz which was also in the zip-archive with the kernel (zImige).

okay then i will try it again. i did an untar in ubuntu with your QWERTY-b710_rev80.

maybe it went wrong. thanks again. going off line for a few minutes to do that (have to restart in ubuntu

hope your still here when i'm back haha

Guest tjeerdos

okay i'm back

but mine android isn't. still having the black screen.

if you are sure it should work. i will start all over again.

this is what i have for now.

beta1 exactly as it was on ext4 instead of ext3 . and you ext4 qwerty kernel update.

thanks

Guest erikcas

Mosci, shouldn't we untar this way:

tar -xvzpv my_android_archive.tar.gz -C /media/<android-rootfs>

??

Tarring my android install right now.. Then format partition to ext4 and then..

grtz Erik

edit: did tar -zxvf my_android_archive.tar.gz -C /media/<android-rootfs> (because I'm used to..) and... BAM.. It works!

Edited by erikcas

Guest tjeerdos
okay i'm back

but mine android isn't. still having the black screen.

if you are sure it should work. i will start all over again.

this is what i have for now.

beta1 exactly as it was on ext4 instead of ext3 . and you ext4 qwerty kernel update.

thanks

wel hello android haha he is back.

did it all over again. and your kernel again.

it works. going to test i bit further but i think i can really notice more speed with ext4.

for example if i want to put a widget on my screen its way faster in the widget menu...

thanks for the support!!

greetsss tjeerdos