Can't flash from new SD card

Guest tigris666

Guest tigris666

Howdy peeps,

I bought a new SD card today, a 16gb class 6 Lexmark. First thing I did was partition it with gparted for A2SD, all FAT32 at the front and a 512MB ext3 at the end. Once complete I loaded into windows and made it a gold card. Once that was done, I copied over all my nandroid backups etc onto it.

When I put it in my HTC desire and booted it into recovery and did a nandroid restore, everything is working perfectly well.

Until, this afternoon when I attempted to install paul's r10 WIP for htc desire. I get an error saying bad zip. So i went over to xda and figured i'd try leedroid (never tried it before), same error. I then decided to go fresh r9 just to test, same error.

So, pulling my hair out not know why all these zips are "bad", I put r10 on the original 2gb SD card and try to flash from there instead. Bingo, works a charm.

So it would seem the issue is I can't flash any ROMs at all from the new 16gb card (I also tried some cheap nasty 32gb card I got off ebay). I definitely went through the gold card process, I even did it a second time to be sure. Anyone know a) how can i double check it actually is a gold card (i used the gold cord tool 0.05 or whatever), and :lol: what other problems could it be?

Edit: I confirmed in linux (using dd as per a HOWTO i found using google) that the gold card has worked, so dunno what the reason is.

If I am doomed to not be able to flash from this card and have to flash from a separate card then swap it out, what's the correct way to do it whilst using A2SD? Given some of the apps are in the ROM, e.g. when I flashed from my 2gb card and swapped it out, I don't have the paid version of the titanium backup app that paul's ROM gives me for free.

Edited by tigris666

Howdy peeps,

I bought a new SD card today, a 16gb class 6 Lexmark. First thing I did was partition it with gparted for A2SD, all FAT32 at the front and a 512MB ext3 at the end. Once complete I loaded into windows and made it a gold card. Once that was done, I copied over all my nandroid backups etc onto it.

When I put it in my HTC desire and booted it into recovery and did a nandroid restore, everything is working perfectly well.

Until, this afternoon when I attempted to install paul's r10 WIP for htc desire. I get an error saying bad zip. So i went over to xda and figured i'd try leedroid (never tried it before), same error. I then decided to go fresh r9 just to test, same error.

So, pulling my hair out not know why all these zips are "bad", I put r10 on the original 2gb SD card and try to flash from there instead. Bingo, works a charm.

So it would seem the issue is I can't flash any ROMs at all from the new 16gb card (I also tried some cheap nasty 32gb card I got off ebay). I definitely went through the gold card process, I even did it a second time to be sure. Anyone know a) how can i double check it actually is a gold card (i used the gold cord tool 0.05 or whatever), and :lol: what other problems could it be?

Edit: I confirmed in linux (using dd as per a HOWTO i found using google) that the gold card has worked, so dunno what the reason is.

If I am doomed to not be able to flash from this card and have to flash from a separate card then swap it out, what's the correct way to do it whilst using A2SD? Given some of the apps are in the ROM, e.g. when I flashed from my 2gb card and swapped it out, I don't have the paid version of the titanium backup app that paul's ROM gives me for free.

A few thoughts about your issue..

I read that some SD's have a mechanical lock ???

A couple of time I scrambled my SD by switching from mass storage to PC mode and pulling my USB too quickly, now I wait 10 seconds.

Hopefully these comments spark a solution.

Howdy peeps,

If you dont mind flashing a rom without a2sd try and flash a rom on the card without a2sd.

You will need to repartition it all as fat32 and apply the goldcard image. Then put the new non a2sd rom zip on the card and try to flash it.

If this works the card had a fault with the partitions. You would need to try and redo the partitions and start again

Guest tigris666
I read that some SD's have a mechanical lock ???

A couple of time I scrambled my SD by switching from mass storage to PC mode and pulling my USB too quickly, now I wait 10 seconds.

I had read this too, but alas, I'd already tried waiting minutes after "safely removing" from the PC.

If you dont mind flashing a rom without a2sd try and flash a rom on the card without a2sd.

You will need to repartition it all as fat32 and apply the goldcard image. Then put the new non a2sd rom zip on the card and try to flash it.

If this works the card had a fault with the partitions. You would need to try and redo the partitions and start again

I shall try this now, I have backups of all the data so no issues regarding re-partitioning etc.

Does anyone know the "correct" way to swap SD cards using A2SD+ if the card you really want to use can't be gold carded?

Edit: ok, now I am shocked. jp514's advice has worked, starting from a fresh FAT32 partition on the sdcard using the FULL card (e.g. no ext parition) formatted with the proper sd card formatter from sdcard website, and using a non-a2sd ROM, it has flashed perfectly fine. So I guess it truly IS a gold card and the issue is coming from trying to flash an A2SD rom on there for some reason. I shall try some more partition options and see how I go. Thanks jp514!

Edit 2: BINGO! using gparted, instead of deleting all existing partitions and creating brand new ones, i just resized the existing FAT partition that the proper sdcard formatter created to allow for 512MB at the end, and put an ext3 partition there. All working perfect and can flash A2SD roms again. Not sure it matters, but the proper formatter left 4mb of unallocated space at the beginning of the disk. I decided to leave it there. So the solution could be the 4mb unallocated space at the start, or it could be the FAT partition created by gparted was faulty, or it could be gparted was creating "bad" data in the partition table when it is used to partition the entire disk.

Edited by tigris666

Guest grentuu
Edit 2: BINGO! using gparted, instead of deleting all existing partitions and creating brand new ones, i just resized the existing FAT partition that the proper sdcard formatter created to allow for 512MB at the end, and put an ext3 partition there. All working perfect and can flash A2SD roms again. Not sure it matters, but the proper formatter left 4mb of unallocated space at the beginning of the disk. I decided to leave it there. So the solution could be the 4mb unallocated space at the start, or it could be the FAT partition created by gparted was faulty, or it could be gparted was creating "bad" data in the partition table when it is used to partition the entire disk.

You may have just solved my problem. I had the same issue, just waiting for my 16gb card to turn up and will try this way.

Thanks