Guest archaism

Version 2 update release:

http://dump.ru/file/5041494

or

http://depositfiles.com/files/247x6gbwp

rar password: b223844a132

sha1sum of apk: 6a6cb89aa093a1d4671f5142fe156bcfc6535db4

Achaism Team bring you a quick update of Archangel, we added some extra info

about working devices and firmwares which have been reported.

We also added some more options for the extraroot feature (see readme.txt)

for advanced users.

This version has a few tweaks which may make it take a bit longer but should

make it a little more reliable.

It also patches the vulnerability which it exploits and seals the system after.

previous Version 1 release:

Download rar file with apk:

http://dump.ru/file/5037798

or

http://depositfiles.com/files/7sh8g638s

rar password: cea69e0419

sha1sum of apk: 80ff2925e12b8d3f2e9c0cabd5b294e6556b2e3f

Archangel one-click-root from the Archaism Team

This will give you temporary or permanent root on your Archos 101 - firmware 2.0.71

Archos are kind enough to provide a SDE firmware which can allow root access,

but involves some significant changes to the system and they say that they will

invalidate your warranty if you install it. This is a bit frightening for new owners.

Archangel solves this with a painless one-click-root which you can uninstall at any time.

It does not use the SDE developer firmware.

This was specifically designed for the Archos 101 with firmware 2.0.71 - it may work on

other Archos devices or firmwares, but has not been tested and is not recommended for them.

If you find this application useful, please donate to those great forums who have given

the android root community so much. Encourage them to keep up their great work. We are

fans of C-Skills Blog, XDA Developers and Modaco Forum.

When installed, this app will use approx 10mb of storage space. Don't run it if you don't

have that much spare.

Usage Instructions:

1) Make sure you have 10mb of space available on the internal storage

2) Make sure you are connected on Wifi

3) Run the Archangel app

4) Click to install SuperUser application

5) Click to get root!

6) Check everything is working correctly, try an app which needs root

7) Once you have root you can tick the "Permanent" root option to always have root.

8) Party Hard!

To turn off root, either just reboot, or turn off permanent root and reboot if you had

enabled it.

To uninstall, just uninstall like any other app. You may also want to use the menu item

to clean up before you uninstall.

You can create a script in /sdcard/sdcard/extraroot.sh and this will be executed as root

whenver you reboot, so you can use this to do any additional root functions you want.

Enjoy!

Edited by archaism

Guest bunnygirl222

Wow, this is great, works a treat on my 101.. thanks!!

I had previously a few other rooting apps and nothing worked, but this does

seems to take about 20 seconds to get root.

got titanium backup running aok right now :lol:

Guest xathras

My heartfelt thanks to archaism for starting this thread. I've had an Archos70 250GB on pre-order since the middle of November and it finally arrived yesterday. The first thing to do was root it and do a Titanium backup. Googling got me to this thread and the rest was plain sailing; I'd never heard of Archangel before.

I've just installed Android Market so the next thing to do is get my Archos set up to have the same set of apps that I have on my Advent Vega. Thanks for making the start of this process as painless as possible. :lol:

Guest Carbonize

There is a lot of debate going on across various Archos forums as to whether this is safe or not. The fact it does give you root is not being debated but how safe it is as this Archaism has joined a lot of forums and just posted this same post and never hangs around to answer any questions. The other issue is nobody has heard of them before. Might be a trojan, keylogger etc or might be perfectly safe. Up to you to decide but I am holding out until one of the more experienced people tests it.

Guest xathras
There is a lot of debate going on across various Archos forums as to whether this is safe or not. The fact it does give you root is not being debated but how safe it is as this Archaism has joined a lot of forums and just posted this same post and never hangs around to answer any questions. The other issue is nobody has heard of them before. Might be a trojan, keylogger etc or might be perfectly safe. Up to you to decide but I am holding out until one of the more experienced people tests it.

Thanks for your post; I'll keep my eyes on this thread. I should be fairly safe since I had no intention of using the Archos other than as a media player which can also do some light browsing; no passwords, credit card details, etc. will ever be entered. I have a Vega for doing what you might call "serious" work.

The Archos has my music collection on it - the complete works of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Bob Dylan, Stones, Beatles, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Bob Marley, Velvet Underground, and a few others. There was also room on it for about 50 music films and concerts and the Project Gutenberg April 2010 DVD containing about 30,00 books.

And it all fits in my coat pocket. :lol:

Guest bunnygirl222

It does work well and I think it probably is the real thing.

Of course I am always installing random apps that I've downloaded on my phone and I haven't really checked out the sources of those!

even to get google market on the archos has to come from an unofficial source.

Guest xathras

If you go to xda-developers you will find that there has been a lot of activity on this subject recently (now on 168 posts). Some members with access to the right hardware have carried out some fairly detailed traffic analysis and at the time of this post have found no suspicious activity. I'm using it because it's the only way to do a Titanium backup. If you decide to give it a try it might be wise to avoid using any passwords (don't access your Google account) until it's been shown to be completely safe.

I'd be tempted to say use it, do a Titanium backup and then uninstall it. However, so far I've not seen anyone post anything about a post-uninstall analysis to show that it completely uninstalls and doesn't leave anything nasty behind. ;)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...767&page=17

Guest Carbonize

Yes I'm subscribed to the XDA thread already. I use the tablet to access several sites including my Gmail and Facebook. Access to either of these could give them enough to steal my identity. Paranoid, maybe.

Guest xathras
Yes I'm subscribed to the XDA thread already. I use the tablet to access several sites including my Gmail and Facebook. Access to either of these could give them enough to steal my identity. Paranoid, maybe.

I don't use my Archos for accessing Gmail, etc. That's why I also have a Vega. I had £500 saved to buy a good tablet but when it came to making a choice I couldn't find one that met all my requirements. So I bought two £250 tablets that between them cover all the bases.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that the b******s aren't out to get you!