Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest MikhailM

Repartition the sd-card? I think I'm out of the loop on this one...

To add some detail to Ejtagle's answer you need to repartition your SD card to contain a Ext4 partition (at least 1GB), you do not need a swap partition. After you have done this repartitioning, then transfer the Beta3-1 zip file to it and re-flash the rom. (You will loose all data on the Sd card when you re-partition it, so save everything you need on your PC before you re-format your card).

Guest DerArtem

Attached the source code of the modified ril, the compiled version of it, and also, the cleaned up radio log with just the important things to understand the problem

I have added some minor, but important changes to make it work with Huawei E169 and K3715 modems:

https://github.com/DerArtem/huawei-generic-ril/commits/master

There is still one problem: when a PIN code is enabled on the SIM card then ril will fail with stuff like below. With disbaled PIN everything works well.

I will do some more tests when I get the time...

D/RILJ    (  608): [0022]> ENTER_SIM_PIN

I/RIL	 (  109): processRequest() ENTER_SIM_PIN

D/AT	  (  109): AT(12)> AT+CPIN="XXXX"

I/AT	  (  109): AT(12)< OK

D/RILJ    (  608): [0022]< ENTER_SIM_PIN {1}

D/RILJ    (  608): [0023]> GET_SIM_STATUS

I/RIL	 (  109): processRequest() GET_SIM_STATUS

D/AT	  (  109): AT(12)> AT+CPIN?

I/AT	  (  109): AT(12)< +CPIN: READY

D/AT	  (  109): AT(12)> AT^CARDLOCK?

I/AT	  (  109): AT(12)< ^CARDLOCK: 2,10,0

D/RIL	 (  109): Card Unlocked, times: 10

D/AT	  (  109): AT(12)> AT^CARDMODE

I/AT	  (  109): AT(12)< ^CARDMODE: 2

I/RIL	 (  109): Detected card type :3

I/RIL	 (  109): [Card type discovery]: USIM

D/RILJ    (  608): [0023]< GET_SIM_STATUS IccCardState {CARDSTATE_PRESENT,PINSTATE_UNKNOWN,num_apps=1,gsm_id=0{APPTYPE_USIM,APPSTATE_READY,pin1=PINSTATE_UNKNOWN,pin2=PINSTATE_UNKNOWN},cmda_id=8,ism_id=8}

E/GSM	 (  608): [IccCard] Invalid Subscription Application index:8

D/GSM	 (  608): [IccCard] USIM=READY CSIM=ABSENT

D/RILB    (  608): getLteOnCdmaMode=0 curVal=-1 product_type='' lteOnCdmaProductType=''

D/GSM	 (  608): [IccCard] Broadcasting intent ACTION_SIM_STATE_CHANGED READY reason null

D/GSM	 (  608): [SIMRecords] fetchSimRecords 0

D/RILJ    (  608): [0024]> getIMSI: GET_IMSI aid: null

D/RILJ    (  608): [0025]> iccIO: SIM_IO 0xc0 0x2fe2  path: 3F00,0,0,15 aid: null

I/RIL	 (  109): processRequest() GET_IMSI

D/RILJ    (  608): [0024]< GET_IMSI error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: GENERIC_FAILURE

D/RILJ    (  608): [0026]> iccIO: SIM_IO 0xc0 0x6f40  path: 3F007F10,0,0,15 aid: null

I/RIL	 (  109): processRequest() SIM_IO

D/RILJ    (  608): [0025]< SIM_IO error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: GENERIC_FAILURE

D/RILJ    (  608): [0026]< SIM_IO error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: GENERIC_FAILURE

D/RILJ    (  608): [0027]> iccIO: SIM_IO 0xc0 0x6fc9  path: 3F007F20,0,0,15 aid: null

D/RILJ    (  608): [0027]< SIM_IO error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: GENERIC_FAILURE

D/RILJ    (  608): [0028]> iccIO: SIM_IO 0xc0 0x6fad  path: 3F007F20,0,0,15 aid: null

I have added some minor, but important changes to make it work with Huawei E169 and K3715 modems:

https://github.com/D.../commits/master

There is still one problem: when a PIN code is enabled on the SIM card then ril will fail with stuff like below. With disbaled PIN everything works well.

I will do some more tests when I get the time...

D/RILJ ( 608): [0022]> ENTER_SIM_PIN

I/RIL	 ( 109): processRequest() ENTER_SIM_PIN

D/AT	 ( 109): AT(12)> AT+CPIN="XXXX"

I/AT	 ( 109): AT(12)< OK

D/RILJ ( 608): [0022]< ENTER_SIM_PIN {1}

D/RILJ ( 608): [0023]> GET_SIM_STATUS

I/RIL	 ( 109): processRequest() GET_SIM_STATUS

D/AT	 ( 109): AT(12)> AT+CPIN?

I/AT	 ( 109): AT(12)< +CPIN: READY

D/AT	 ( 109): AT(12)> AT^CARDLOCK?

I/AT	 ( 109): AT(12)< ^CARDLOCK: 2,10,0

D/RIL	 ( 109): Card Unlocked, times: 10

D/AT	 ( 109): AT(12)> AT^CARDMODE

I/AT	 ( 109): AT(12)< ^CARDMODE: 2

I/RIL	 ( 109): Detected card type :3

I/RIL	 ( 109): [Card type discovery]: USIM

D/RILJ ( 608): [0023]< GET_SIM_STATUS IccCardState {CARDSTATE_PRESENT,PINSTATE_UNKNOWN,num_apps=1,gsm_id=0{APPTYPE_USIM,APPSTATE_READY,pin1=PINSTATE_UNKNOWN,pin2=PINSTATE_UNKNOWN},cmda_id=8,ism_id=8}

E/GSM	 ( 608): [IccCard] Invalid Subscription Application index:8

D/GSM	 ( 608): [IccCard] USIM=READY CSIM=ABSENT

D/RILB ( 608): getLteOnCdmaMode=0 curVal=-1 product_type='' lteOnCdmaProductType=''

D/GSM	 ( 608): [IccCard] Broadcasting intent ACTION_SIM_STATE_CHANGED READY reason null

D/GSM	 ( 608): [SIMRecords] fetchSimRecords 0

D/RILJ ( 608): [0024]> getIMSI: GET_IMSI aid: null

D/RILJ ( 608): [0025]> iccIO: SIM_IO 0xc0 0x2fe2 path: 3F00,0,0,15 aid: null

I/RIL	 ( 109): processRequest() GET_IMSI

D/RILJ ( 608): [0024]< GET_IMSI error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: GENERIC_FAILURE

D/RILJ ( 608): [0026]> iccIO: SIM_IO 0xc0 0x6f40 path: 3F007F10,0,0,15 aid: null

I/RIL	 ( 109): processRequest() SIM_IO

D/RILJ ( 608): [0025]< SIM_IO error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: GENERIC_FAILURE

D/RILJ ( 608): [0026]< SIM_IO error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: GENERIC_FAILURE

D/RILJ ( 608): [0027]> iccIO: SIM_IO 0xc0 0x6fc9 path: 3F007F20,0,0,15 aid: null

D/RILJ ( 608): [0027]< SIM_IO error: com.android.internal.telephony.CommandException: GENERIC_FAILURE

D/RILJ ( 608): [0028]> iccIO: SIM_IO 0xc0 0x6fad path: 3F007F20,0,0,15 aid: null

Excellent! :D ... Also, if you happen to have some spare time, check the audio voice capability.. Maybe i have missed something there, as i am getting corrupted audio sometimes and had to implement a filter to try to sort out the problem.. I don't have a E169 at hand... ;) -- But i think the RIL is pretty close to be completely functional ... :)

I think the problem is in the getCardStatus function. It calls the getSIMStatus(), and based on that status, it fills the RIL_CardStatus_v6 struct. Don't know why, but it is returning PINSTATE_UNKNOWN, when it should not.... I checked the app_status_array, and this entry is what is returned when SIM_READY is returned by the getSIMStatus() function returns SIM_READY... :o ... This getCardStatus() function was taken from the mbm-300 ril... Maybe there is also a bug on that ril .

Edit2: I think i know what is happening... The processRequest() function validates, by calling the function getRadioState() that the radio has become ready before allowing the getIMSI and all the other requests to succeed... After successful PIN input, we should set the radio state to available... Otherwise, no command will be processed from that point onwards...

Edit3: Added an small change (untested) that should fix this problem. Now, the RIL should start working as soon as you enter the sim PIN... The sim should be unlocked by the RIL. There should be no need to unlock the SIM before inserting it into the tablet / 3G modem... Please, report success / failure cases :)

huawei-generic-29sept.rar

Edited by ejtagle

Guest DerArtem

... This getCardStatus() function was taken from the mbm-300 ril... Maybe there is also a bug on that ril .

Edit2: I think i know what is happening... The processRequest() function validates, by calling the function getRadioState() that the radio has become ready before allowing the getIMSI and all the other requests to succeed... After successful PIN input, we should set the radio state to available... Otherwise, no command will be processed from that point onwards...

Edit3: Added an small change (untested) that should fix this problem. Now, the RIL should start working as soon as you enter the sim PIN... The sim should be unlocked by the RIL. There should be no need to unlock the SIM before inserting it into the tablet / 3G modem... Please, report success / failure cases

I just tried it out. Now the modem works just fine with PIN lock.

I am just recompiling android to enable voice features.

One big problem still exists: When going to suspend the 3G connection does not get terminated and the USB port keeps be powered on. The modem is still online while the CPU is in LP0. The connection is not getting reestablished when the tablet returns from suspend. I have not checked the logs yet. Will do it when I have some more time...

Update: Voice calls are working fine so far, only the volume of incoming audio is very low on the tablet.

Edited by DerArtem

Guest ejtagle

I just tried it out. Now the modem works just fine with PIN lock.

I am just recompiling android to enable voice features.

One big problem still exists: When going to suspend the 3G connection does not get terminated and the USB port keeps be powered on. The modem is still online while the CPU is in LP0. The connection is not getting reestablished when the tablet returns from suspend. I have not checked the logs yet. Will do it when I have some more time...

Update: Voice calls are working fine so far, only the volume of incoming audio is very low on the tablet.

There are reasons for both turning off the 3G modem in LP0, and to leave it on... :o ... If you want to receive calls, probably you want to keep the modem powered on, and use it to wake up the tablet. If you don't want that, probably we could turn off the modem... Theoretically, the 3G connection traffic should keep the tablet waking up to keep the ppp connection alive... But, if the connection drops, the pppd daemon would be terminated... and if it gets terminated, the RIL should detect that (no data call active) and inform android.

I have no way to test it, so i would appreciate if you can take a look at it...

Regarding voice, there is a automatic gain control implementation, but i don't understand why it fails to amplify the audio... :S

Guest DerArtem

There are reasons for both turning off the 3G modem in LP0, and to leave it on... If you want to receive calls, probably you want to keep the modem powered on, and use it to wake up the tablet. If you don't want that, probably we could turn off the modem... Theoretically, the 3G connection traffic should keep the tablet waking up to keep the ppp connection alive... But, if the connection drops, the pppd daemon would be terminated... and if it gets terminated, the RIL should detect that (no data call active) and inform android.

I have no way to test it, so i would appreciate if you can take a look at it...

Regarding voice, there is a automatic gain control implementation, but i don't understand why it fails to amplify the audio... :S

I remember the problem. I had the same in chan_datacard. After answering a call we must send "AT+CLVL=1" and then "AT+CLVL=5" to the modem. This will set the volume to maximum. In theory just sending AT+CLVL=5 should be enough, but some modems do not change the volume with just this command. So we must first set it to minimum with "AT+CLVL=1" and them to max with "AT+CLVL=5" directly after answering the call.

Edited by DerArtem

Guest ejtagle

I remember the problem. I had the same in chan_datacard. After answering a call we must send "AT+CLVL=1" and then "AT+CLVL=5" to the modem. This will set the volume to maximum. In theory just sending AT+CLVL=5 should be enough, but some modems do not change the volume with just this command. So we must first set it to minimum with "AT+CLVL=1" and them to max with "AT+CLVL=5" directly after answering the call.

Will try to implement it. Also, i will try to detect when the pppd daemon dies, but the data connection is still present... I think we should inform Android as that a Data connection is NOT present if the pppd daemon is not running. Otherwise, when resuming from suspend, the pppd daemon could be ended (by the tegra2 usb port being suspended, that means no serial port to attach pppd, and that in turn means pppd will terminate). But, the 3G modem keeps the data connection... So, we end with a non functional data connection... Its better to tell android that there is no data connection, so it is able to restart the data connection (dial+pppd)...

Guest ejtagle

As DerArtem told, the previous RIL has a subtle bug: When the tablet enters sleep, and then resumes, the 3G connection is lost. The 3G modem is still connected, but the pppd daemon is not running, as the modem disappears when the USB bus is suspended... I added an small fix that also checks that the network interface is still up and running, before telling the Android framework we have a data connection. That way, android should be able to reestablish the connection after suspension.

As i have right now no way to test this, could anyone, please, try it and tell me if 3G is still working, and it recovers from suspension ? -If it does, this RIL will be recommended to be included in the next JB rom.. But we need that confirmation that things still work! :)

The other small change, per DerArtem recommendation, is to try to raise voice volume.. We now set the 3G modem voice volume to maximum. Let's hope it works!

huawei-generic-2oct.rar

libhuaweigeneric-ril.rar

Guest univall

As DerArtem told, the previous RIL has a subtle bug: When the tablet enters sleep, and then resumes, the 3G connection is lost. The 3G modem is still connected, but the pppd daemon is not running, as the modem disappears when the USB bus is suspended... I added an small fix that also checks that the network interface is still up and running, before telling the Android framework we have a data connection. That way, android should be able to reestablish the connection after suspension.

As i have right now no way to test this, could anyone, please, try it and tell me if 3G is still working, and it recovers from suspension ? -If it does, this RIL will be recommended to be included in the next JB rom.. But we need that confirmation that things still work!

The other small change, per DerArtem recommendation, is to try to raise voice volume.. We now set the 3G modem voice volume to maximum. Let's hope it works!

Hi.

- 3g works

- to airplane mode and back, no issues with 3g or phone

- suspend and back, no issues with 3g or phone

- tablet in sleep, incoming call wakes up tablet, no issues with 3g or phone

- not sure about voice volume, unable to fully test.

HTH.

Guest univall

Hi.

- 3g works

- to airplane mode and back, no issues with 3g or phone

- suspend and back, no issues with 3g or phone

- tablet in sleep, incoming call wakes up tablet, no issues with 3g or phone

- not sure about voice volume, unable to fully test.

HTH.

[Edit]

Well, checked for volume increase on view pad 10s. Still very faint on the tablet. On the phone side, there is a lot of feedback/echo with some latency

Guest ejtagle

@Eduardo,<br />At tabletroms there is a user that has a e173. He provided the following log:<br /><br />http://dl.dropbox.co...03/radio.txt<br /><br />Can you have a look at it and see if support for the e173 can be included<br />

I think we would really need usb_modeswitch running in the tablet. This modem seems to be in cdrom emulation mode, and must be toggled to modem mode before the ril will see it. The mode switch can't be implemented in the RIL itself. I guess that we could recompile usb_modeswitch for android... In fact, it could even work out of the box...

Guest Scanno

I think we would really need usb_modeswitch running in the tablet. This modem seems to be in cdrom emulation mode, and must be toggled to modem mode before the ril will see it. The mode switch can't be implemented in the RIL itself. I guess that we could recompile usb_modeswitch for android... In fact, it could even work out of the box...

Thanks for your answer. Figured it would be because ttyUSB2 could not be found in the radio log.

Guest stane1983

Hi,

I'm not sure if I should post it here or not because I'm working with different platform (Amlogic) and ICS 4.0.4, not JB but...

I have usb switchmode in my firmware by default, that's not a problem. RIL acts strange on my platform with E1752 stick. I have 2 sim cards, one with pin request enabled, one without it. If I connect stick to my device with sim that does not have pin request enabled, android asks me for pin and obviously sim doesn't work. If I change sim card with pin request enabled, I'm not asked to enter pin (?). After that, if I go back to sim card w/o pin request it works (sort of, receive/send sms works, 3g doesnt)...

Any ideas? :)

Guest ejtagle

Hi,

I'm not sure if I should post it here or not because I'm working with different platform (Amlogic) and ICS 4.0.4, not JB but...

I have usb switchmode in my firmware by default, that's not a problem. RIL acts strange on my platform with E1752 stick. I have 2 sim cards, one with pin request enabled, one without it. If I connect stick to my device with sim that does not have pin request enabled, android asks me for pin and obviously sim doesn't work. If I change sim card with pin request enabled, I'm not asked to enter pin (?). After that, if I go back to sim card w/o pin request it works (sort of, receive/send sms works, 3g doesnt)...

Any ideas?

Probably, the RIL requires some extra work to make it work with the E1752 ... Provide logcat -b radio logs...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stane1983

Probably, the RIL requires some extra work to make it work with the E1752 ... Provide logcat -b radio logs...

Hi,

sorry for long delay.

Here are 2 logcats. One with sim that have pin request enabled and another without it. I noticed APN is wrong (configuration is wrong, that might cause errors for 3g... correct apn should be data.tele2.hr).

I said earlier that I need to insert sim without pin request then I'm asked to enter pin. After that I switch to sim with pin request and I'm not asked for pin. After I switch back to sim w/o pin request it works (sort of). Now when I created these logcats, my sim w/o pin request worked, it did not asked me for pin and I had network signal indicator indicating correct signal. After I switched to sim that have sim pin request enabled I wasn't asked to enter pin.

Regards,

Stane1983

sim_with_pin.txt

sim_wo_pin.txt

Guest MikhailM

Hi,

sorry for long delay.

Here are 2 logcats. One with sim that have pin request enabled and another without it. I noticed APN is wrong (configuration is wrong, that might cause errors for 3g... correct apn should be data.tele2.hr).

I said earlier that I need to insert sim without pin request then I'm asked to enter pin. After that I switch to sim with pin request and I'm not asked for pin. After I switch back to sim w/o pin request it works (sort of). Now when I created these logcats, my sim w/o pin request worked, it did not asked me for pin and I had network signal indicator indicating correct signal. After I switched to sim that have sim pin request enabled I wasn't asked to enter pin.

Regards,

Stane1983

Stane 1983 (wow! your birth year?)

I get the feeling everyone has gone away from this thread and switched off the light! Last Ejtangle post is 08.10!

Guest ejtagle

Hi,

sorry for long delay.

Regards,

Stane1983

Looking at those logs, seems the ril is working properly. It is attempting to create a ppp connection to your ISP:

D/RIL ( 95): Trying to setup PPP connnection...

D/AT ( 95): AT(18)> ATD*99***1#

I/AT ( 95): AT(18)< CONNECT

D/RIL ( 95): Starting pppd w/command line: '/system/bin/pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 crtscts modem linkname ril1 user dummy password dummy defaultroute usepeerdns noipdefault novj novjccomp nobsdcomp ipcp-accept-remote ipcp-accept-local dump debug lcp-echo-failure 0 lcp-echo-interval 0 ipcp-max-configure 30 ipcp-max-failure 30 ipcp-max-terminate 10'

D/RIL ( 95): Waiting until net ifc ppp0 is up

E/RIL ( 95): Net ifc ppp0 was never upped!

And, it eventually fails. Please, check your logcat (main logcat) to see why the pppd daemon is failing to setup a working connection ... probably you are missing to suid-root the pppd daemon...

Guest stane1983

Looking at those logs, seems the ril is working properly. It is attempting to create a ppp connection to your ISP:

D/RIL ( 95): Trying to setup PPP connnection...

D/AT ( 95): AT(18)> ATD*99***1#

I/AT ( 95): AT(18)< CONNECT

D/RIL ( 95): Starting pppd w/command line: '/system/bin/pppd /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 crtscts modem linkname ril1 user dummy password dummy defaultroute usepeerdns noipdefault novj novjccomp nobsdcomp ipcp-accept-remote ipcp-accept-local dump debug lcp-echo-failure 0 lcp-echo-interval 0 ipcp-max-configure 30 ipcp-max-failure 30 ipcp-max-terminate 10'

D/RIL ( 95): Waiting until net ifc ppp0 is up

E/RIL ( 95): Net ifc ppp0 was never upped!

And, it eventually fails. Please, check your logcat (main logcat) to see why the pppd daemon is failing to setup a working connection ... probably you are missing to suid-root the pppd daemon...

Ok, thx, will check that. What about strange behaviour on pin request?

Guest univall

Eduardo, Wondering if you could have a look over at the logcat I am posting for Scanno's VegaBean Beta 6. This log is posted from after a couple of reboots on an Nvflash Rom flash.

Everything seems to work fine but I tend to lose the mobile network from time to time. The network comes back on mostly after a few (8-12) seconds always. I am sure it is not the mobile network here because it works absolutely fine with the earlier beta and the Beta 5. I will keep this ROM for sometime; so if you need any further logs, please advise. Thanks in advance.

FYI, I am on a Viewsonic internal 3g modem EM770W.

radio-logcat-vegabean-beta6-nvflash.txt

Edited by univall

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo, Wondering if you could have a look over at the logcat I am posting for Scanno's VegaBean Beta 6. This log is posted from after a couple of reboots on an Nvflash Rom flash.

Everything seems to work fine but I tend to lose the mobile network from time to time. The network comes back on mostly after a few (8-12) seconds always. I am sure it is not the mobile network here because it works absolutely fine with the earlier beta and the Beta 5. I will keep this ROM for sometime; so if you need any further logs, please advise. Thanks in advance.

FYI, I am on a Viewsonic internal 3g modem EM770W.

Is not the RIL... It's your service provider... On the log you can easily identify that the modem is receiving a very unstable signal. Sometimes, it is just absent! ...

Signal Strength 99 and Signal Strength 0 , means the modem was unable to detect the cell network!

Does not seem to be related neither to the RIL not to Android. The modem is just not getting the cell network signal... And this seems to happen sporadically... Most of the time, the signal is there, but in the log you can easily spot 2 places were the signal was lost. And when you lose the signal, 3G is lost and then retries to connect (and that is perfectly fine... ;)

Guest univall

Is not the RIL... It's your service provider... On the log you can easily identify that the modem is receiving a very unstable signal. Sometimes, it is just absent! ...

Signal Strength 99 and Signal Strength 0 , means the modem was unable to detect the cell network!

Does not seem to be related neither to the RIL not to Android. The modem is just not getting the cell network signal... And this seems to happen sporadically... Most of the time, the signal is there, but in the log you can easily spot 2 places were the signal was lost. And when you lose the signal, 3G is lost and then retries to connect (and that is perfectly fine... ;)

Thanks for pointing the above out. It is losing signal strength as it is getting in to standby. I recollect that it was happening with the earlier beta also. Also, not getting the '3g' or 'H' icon as in earlier beta.

Guest MikhailM

Thanks for pointing the above out. It is losing signal strength as it is getting in to standby. I recollect that it was happening with the earlier beta also. Also, not getting the '3g' or 'H' icon as in earlier beta.

Hi, Ejtagle,

Do you know if one needs to disable ril in Beta 6 on a Vega without an inbuilt modem. I get a message "sim changed" when I boot up the Vega, although there is no modem and no sim installed. I am wondering if the OS is continuiously trying to find the modem/sim and that explains the high battery usage?