Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo,

Can you look to this one ..

http://pastebin.com/qCgcX63S

Seems after talking to a user we get a suspend then auto reboot .. not sure what to make of it but it ties in with the other issues we see in suspend i think, this is the first i see to auto reboot .. i suspect his sdcard is to blame so i suggest a format and try again but.. its not nice to see sdcard possibly causing a reboot ;)

Strange... I fail to find a cause for the reboot... but mmc0 is the wifi module ;) -- The wifi module seems not to properly handle suspension...

Guest robbo247

Just to keep all updated. i wrote a new touchscreen driver based on the reverse engineered IT7260 driver on the .32 kernel. This one is based on the commands used by the .32 driver, and not on the commands documented in the PDF. Most commands are the same, but there are some differences... Perhaps it will prevent the oversensitivity sometimes found on some vegas... Will continue testing it. If i find that ir helps, i will release it :)

Any release whould be appreciated as lots are trying to fix TS problems

Guest ejtagle

Any release whould be appreciated as lots are trying to fix TS problems

Still working on it. I am trying to figure out why the touchscreen controller does not answer commands sometimes... There is nothing related to this problem on the documentation we have, so, it is just a guessing game ... ;)

Guest pischla

Anything else I could try to get 3G working on the tablet? It seems so close...

:(

I posted the latest logs after trying the suggestions by Cass in the thread at tabletroms.

Guest ejtagle

Anything else I could try to get 3G working on the tablet? It seems so close...

:(

I posted the latest logs after trying the suggestions by Cass in the thread at tabletroms.

I also think 3G is very,very close to be working ... The RIL itself should work. I have tried my own version and seems to properly recognize modem, dial, read messages, etc,etc... But logs show the 3G data connection is not being open... Perhaps this is a framework option that is not properly configured...

Guest ejtagle

Well, finally got some time to finish the new touchscreen driver. This new driver, that is based on the reverse engineered original calibration app, works remarkably well, manages to properly identify and communicate with the touchscreen controller, and most importantly, finally fixes the calibration issue (or at least, i hope so!) ...

Attached the source code ot the new driver (can be used with our latest 2.6.39 kernel, or even with the not working yet 3.1 kernel...

Also attached a precompiled boot.img

Regards,

Eduardo

PS: I would like to hear from the people that had oversensibility and/or dead zones if the problem goes away with this new driver

it7260.rar

boot.rar

Guest richardmlea

Well, finally got some time to finish the new touchscreen driver. This new driver, that is based on the reverse engineered original calibration app, works remarkably well, manages to properly identify and communicate with the touchscreen controller, and most importantly, finally fixes the calibration issue (or at least, i hope so!) ...

Attached the source code ot the new driver (can be used with our latest 2.6.39 kernel, or even with the not working yet 3.1 kernel...

Regards,

Eduardo

PS: I would like to hear from the people that had oversensibility and/or dead zones if the problem goes away with this new driver

Thanks ed. I will test it now

Guest pischla

Seems to work fine here so far! I had a bit of sensitivity issue on the left side of the screen, browser back button, keyboard keys (touching shift registered also the "A" key.

I'll test some more and let you know.

EDIT: The sensitivity issue was before this latest boot.img. Better clear that up.

I'll attach my latest dmesg and logcat radio

dmesg

http://pastebin.com/yiWGdGVc

logcat -b radio

http://pastebin.com/Mnkx05zV

Edited by pischla

Guest Scanno

Regards,

Eduardo

Eduardo,

Is the touchscreen driver the only change to the boot.img compared to the boot.img that is with vegaics beta1?

Think i will make a cwm zip from your boot.img so that people over at tabletroms can have a go.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Vision met Tapatalk

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo,

Is the touchscreen driver the only change to the boot.img compared to the boot.img that is with vegaics beta1?

Think i will make a cwm zip from your boot.img so that people over at tabletroms can have a go.

Should be ramdisk is the one from beta1, kernel compilation is based on the options selected by Cass on the kernel compiled for Beta1... I´ve been using it, and seems to work... There are 2 things pending here... Wifi issues and 3G connectivity. WiFi issues should be solvable without recompiling the kernel. I do suspect we should compile the WiFi driver with WoW enabled, instead of just turning it off while the system enters Lp1 mode ...

·g will require some initial ramdisk tweaks to make it work from the start...

Nevertheless, I think this new touchscreen driver is a big improvement over the older one ;)

Guest Cass67
To Eduardo:

Your boot.img has a problem with the power button. I recommend setting .debounce_interval to 125.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Hey Areo, thought you had dropped of the planet ;) I use 50 for that debounce but 125 may be usefully too... You have time to look at any of the remaining issues? I've none right now best I can do is keep a eye via my phone, could use the help in userland getting this fixed up as Ive done nothing recently and I'm not sure when ill get back to it..

Cheers

Cass

Hey Areo, thought you had dropped of the planet ;) I use 50 for that debounce but 125 may be usefully too... You have time to look at any of the remaining issues? I've none right now best I can do is keep a eye via my phone, could use the help in userland getting this fixed up as Ive done nothing recently and I'm not sure when ill get back to it..

Cheers

Cass

Hi m8,

Haha no just been busy. I have little time, maybe I can fit 20-30 minutes a day in tablet development :(.

But tell me, what are the issues? Eduardo is already on 3g and wifi. Only issue I have seen is the reboot to recovery function in menu. So if you can give me a list of issues I can see what I can do. Maybe start cleaning up the ROM?

Nice beta btw.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest Scanno

Eduardo, Cass,

Sorry for the noob questions, but i hope you guys can help me a bit. I have build a zImage succesfully from the wooshy1 github sources (thanks cass for that). What source patches do i need to get to the current kernel that is used in VegaICS. I am still learning, but i hope i can contribute a bit more to the development of vegaics then building a touch recovery and updating squashfs files. One more question which arm toolchain are you using to build with? the 4.4.0 or 4.4.3 version? I have read that the 4.4.3 version might cause problems. I have build succesful with the 4.4.0 version (well no errors during compiling and linking and a zImage in the correct directory, so i think it was succesful) regards, Scanno

Edited by Scanno

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo, Cass,

Sorry for the noob questions, but i hope you guys can help me a bit. I have build a zImage succesfully from the wooshy1 github sources (thanks cass for that). What source patches do i need to get to the current kernel that is used in VegaICS. I am still learning, but i hope i can contribute a bit more to the development of vegaics then building a touch recovery and updating squashfs files. One more question which arm toolchain are you using to build with? the 4.4.0 or 4.4.3 version? I have read that the 4.4.3 version might cause problems. I have build succesful with the 4.4.0 version (well no errors during compiling and linking and a zImage in the correct directory, so i think it was succesful) regards, Scanno

As far as i know, there is no up to date github repository.. Get the nvidia 2.6.39-rel14r7 branch, go backwards from this post until you find the latest touchscreen driver, and previously, the latest kernel patchset. I usually attach full patchsets, so there is no need to go backwards a lot of posts. The only exception was the touchscreen driver, as it was an alternative experimental one. Seems it is working extremely well, so i will replace the older driver by this one ;)

Regards,

Eduardo

Guest Scanno

As far as i know, there is no up to date github repository.. Get the nvidia 2.6.39-rel14r7 branch, go backwards from this post until you find the latest touchscreen driver, and previously, the latest kernel patchset. I usually attach full patchsets, so there is no need to go backwards a lot of posts. The only exception was the touchscreen driver, as it was an alternative experimental one. Seems it is working extremely well, so i will replace the older driver by this one

Regards,

Eduardo

I got the rel14r7 branche. Cass pointed me to the wooshy1 github repo. As soon as i have time again i will look at the patches and hopefully make a working boot.img. Thanks.

The touchscreen driver works great. Had a sensitive touchscreen when poweradapter is connected, but that seems a lot better. Also seems to be more accurate. Good job on that one.

Edited by Scanno

Guest pischla

The touchscreen driver works great. Had a sensitive touchscreen when poweradapter is connected, but that seems a lot better. Also seems to be more accurate. Good job on that one.

I confirm also that the driver works very good with my tablet. Zero problems so far!

Great job Ed!

Guest JHAres

Regards,

Eduardo

Hola Eduardo,

I think we are "neighbours", Buenos Aires here.... Santiago there ?

Going to the topic, I have a Viewsonic 10s (non3G) and I want to test your driver, but I'm almost a total noob in the Android world.... How can I mount the objects to test the driver in this model ?

Besides, if you want a "test pilot", just let me know and I'll be glad to help...!!! I had the two issues, sometimes oversentitive, and sometimes almost dead zones.

Abrazo,

Javier.

Guest ursulavasey

Regards,

Eduardo

How do I flash this boot image (or any boot image) to my Vega, which is currently running ICS? I have tried using Vegatools, but it doesn't work that way. I assume this is because ICS uses squashfs files, which are read only, so boot animations cannot be written to the system. If someone could give me details on how to flash boot images, I would appreciate it.

Guest pischla

There's a CWM zip created by scanno over at tabletroms, in the VegaICS thread.

EDIT: I flash boot images with fastboot after I have formated the boot partition.

This in Linux. I'll see if I can find a tutorial.

Edited by pischla

Guest ursulavasey

I use Windows 7 Home Premium. I have tried doing it by installing the zip via clockwork, which didn't work. The installiation was aborted. I also tried it via Vegatools, making sure I had the correct drivers through AUDI. I could install the bootscreens that were pre-loaded in Vegatools, but I couldn't add any from outside.

Ok issues I encountered which are not named yet:

-HD vids don't play to well compared with HoneyComb.

-Flash on fullscreen does not work (crash/freeze).

-Audio distorsion on speakers (when full soundbar)

-Browser FC frequently.

-Reboot menu doesn't work properly

-Sometimes apps freeze or won't start.

-With new boot.img (eduardo's) sometimes when I boot the tablet, I can't use the touchscreen and need to hold the power button to turn it off and switch it on again before I can use the touchscreen again.

-Wifi sometimes just quits working (when working on the tablet, so no sleep mode and screen is on)

Eduardo, Cass did you already know about these issues?

I will rollback to ubuntu 10.4 and compile a new kernel with the power button fixed.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest ejtagle

-HD vids don't play to well compared with HoneyComb.

New flash player from adobe seems not to be using hw acceleration. Also, we are using newer Nvidia libraries, that seem sometimes to have some problems... Older (HC) libs can't be used with ICS without severe graphics glitches...

-Flash on fullscreen does not work (crash/freeze).

New flash player from adobe seems not to be using hw acceleration.

-Audio distorsion on speakers (when full soundbar)

The Audio subsystem of ICS is brand new. This is not neccesarily a problem of our port ... But, yes, probably audio libs require some tuning...

-Browser FC frequently.

We inherited this behaviour from HC ... 512mb of RAM is barely enough for some complex pages...

-Reboot menu doesn't work properly

We know about the power button problem. Cheap but Unreliable hw ... Perhaps something at the framework level could be done.. At kernel side, the tablet always reboots...

-Sometimes apps freeze or won't start.

low RAM/low GPU RAM/ICS incompatibilities... We don't do miracles... Probably can be tuned a bit...

-With new boot.img (eduardo's) sometimes when I boot the tablet, I can't use the touchscreen and need to hold the power button to turn it off and switch it on again before I can use the touchscreen again.

Touchscreen has never stopped working for me... Are you shure you are not experiencing hw lockups ? -- Also make sure you are not touching the screen surface while the tablet boots, as everytime it boots, a new touchscreen calibration is done....

-Wifi sometimes just quits working (when working on the tablet, so no sleep mode and screen is on)

Never experienced that ... kernel logs are required ...

Eduardo, Cass did you already know about these issues?

I will rollback to ubuntu 10.4 and compile a new kernel with the power button fixed.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Yes. there is still work to do, but, if i can't reproduce the bug, i usually can't fix it ;) -- And, ICS application incompatibilities are probably unfixable...

Eduardo

Guest ejtagle

Hola Eduardo,

I think we are "neighbours", Buenos Aires here.... Santiago there ?

Going to the topic, I have a Viewsonic 10s (non3G) and I want to test your driver, but I'm almost a total noob in the Android world.... How can I mount the objects to test the driver in this model ?

Besides, if you want a "test pilot", just let me know and I'll be glad to help...!!! I had the two issues, sometimes oversentitive, and sometimes almost dead zones.

Abrazo,

Javier.

Córdoba, Argentina here ;)

To Eduardo:

About rebootmenu: I just mean reboot to recovery in the menu doesn't work, but its a easy fix.

About app freeze: it's not a compability issue as most times the email and calendar apps freeze... these are native ics.

I will try to provide log with wifi problem.

About touchscreen : its not a freeze because i still get notifications. And it works ok with the kernel from cass so its your latest ts driver, also i do not touch the screen when it boots.

Kind Regards,

Areo