Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Scanno

You could replace Chimera RIL with the one we are using ...

As far as i know, the problem right now is the framework... And to explain it more cleanly, the problem is not a bug in the framework, it is a misconfiguration of the framework when i wrote the initial support for a Shuttle target for ICS AOSP: When doing so, you must tell the AOSP build system the limitations of the available connections. I don't exactly know why, but seems the 3G is being disabled and enabled at the same time as wifi, making impossible to use 3G while wifi is disabled, and when wifi is enabled, 3G is also enabled, but the framework always prefers wifi over 3G.

The fix is to recompile AOSP with the right configuration. I am waiting for more RAM for my computer to be able to successfully recompile it. Hope in a few days i will get it recompiled and hopefully working...

Eduardo

Eduardo,

Would like to have a go at compiling ICS, but am looking for the target configuration to do so. Perhaps you can share your ICS config ?

I mean that i need the stuff to make lunch work. That does not mean that i will be able to make a succesfull build because of hardware limitations....

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Vision met Tapatalk

Edited by Scanno

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo,

Would like to have a go at compiling ICS, but am looking for the target configuration to do so. Perhaps you can share your ICS config ?

I mean that i need the stuff to make lunch work. That does not mean that i will be able to make a succesfull build because of hardware limitations....

I still have to clean it up quite a bit... And, to clean it up, i need to compile AOSP first... Cass was the one who actually compiled the AOSP code. I did just provide an initial lunch target, but never managed to complete a compile. I estimate that between 3 and 4GBytes of RAM are at least required to successfully compile it... 30 - 40GB of free HDD space. And the required time depends on the available computing power... I'd expect , using 3Gb of RAM, and standard 5400rpm HDD, and a core2duo that the compilation could take between 6-8 hours...

Guest Scanno

I still have to clean it up quite a bit... And, to clean it up, i need to compile AOSP first... Cass was the one who actually compiled the AOSP code. I did just provide an initial lunch target, but never managed to complete a compile. I estimate that between 3 and 4GBytes of RAM are at least required to successfully compile it... 30 - 40GB of free HDD space. And the required time depends on the available computing power... I'd expect , using 3Gb of RAM, and standard 5400rpm HDD, and a core2duo that the compilation could take between 6-8 hours...

Well then i will have enough memory to build, i guess. I can assign 3Gbytes to my 10.04 virtualbox image. HD space is also enough. Time i never have enough, but building can be done at night when sleeping.

Hope Cass is reading and could provide his lunch target so we can build from his base.

Edited by Scanno

Guest Daedric1383

Daedric1383

Attached a boot image with kernel compiled with dither set to ORDERED to see if it makes any difference to your amateur photographer eye.

Saw the adam devs experimented with changing back to ordered from errdiff in an attempt to fix banding (don't know result) and it may be that libs default to ordered if unable to do errdiff depending on active region pixel width so will not make any difference.

Also not sure if dithering gives different results based on density for example 160=1024x600actual but 120=1365x752virtual so try at different density values to see if you get different results.

edit 28/3 - uploaded new boot image forgot to add Eduardos 3g mods to ramdisk on first upload

Quick question brucelee666, can dither be disabled alltogether?

Guest xathras

Hope Cass is reading and could provide his lunch target so we can build from his base.

So do I. If there are any more lurkers like me out there; this is what "lunch" means in this context:-

http://vladnevzorov....-build-options/

http://source.androi...e/building.html

And if you want to start from scratch, this is a useful introduction to creating a development environment:-

http://vladnevzorov.com/2011/01/08/dev-environment-for-contributing-to-android-os-code/

Edited by xathras

Goodday everybody,

I see a lot of talk about 3g fixing. It seems that a new source has to be compiled. Is it relevent to compile the android 4.0.4 source instead of 4.0.3? It has some nice edges, better rotation for example.

Also what about other issues then 3g? Sleep problem for example.... or video/audio/wifi drivers which sometimes get a bit buggy. Are you still working on that eduardo or do you have to little time? And is there anything we can help you with on kernel level eduardo?

Also I have 24GB RAM and a i7 CPU @ 4,7GHz. I do not run linux on this machine but if its possible to compile an AOSP in a virtual machine, just tell me the correct 'lunch' and I can also do it.

I saw scanno also requested the compile it, I think he should get his change first.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest Daedric1383

Goodday everybody,

I see a lot of talk about 3g fixing. It seems that a new source has to be compiled. Is it relevent to compile the android 4.0.4 source instead of 4.0.3? It has some nice edges, better rotation for example.

Also what about other issues then 3g? Sleep problem for example.... or video/audio/wifi drivers which sometimes get a bit buggy. Are you still working on that eduardo or do you have to little time? And is there anything we can help you with on kernel level eduardo?

Also I have 24GB RAM and a i7 CPU @ 4,7GHz. I do not run linux on this machine but if its possible to compile an AOSP in a virtual machine, just tell me the correct 'lunch' and I can also do it.

I saw scanno also requested the compile it, I think he should get his change first.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Hello Sir, glad to see you're still around :)

4.0.4 would be nice, we should keep up. Other than 3G, we have the Wifi+BT issue with A2DP, the Wifi Sleep issue, the lack of GPS (on the units that support it), the ocasional buggy sound (typing fast brings it) and that's all i can remember for now :)

Guest richardmlea

So do I. If there are any more lurkers like me out there; this is what "lunch" means in this context:-

http://vladnevzorov....-build-options/

http://source.androi...e/building.html

And if you want to start from scratch, this is a useful introduction to creating a development environment:-

http://vladnevzorov....ndroid-os-code/

Thanks mate, anything else you can point me too like this would be good.

:D

Edited by richardmlea

Guest Scanno
Goodday everybody,

Kind Regards,

Areo

You can have a go. Do not have any problems with that :P

Besides i am still learning and do not have that powerfull hardware.

Offcourse you can compile AOSP in a virtual machine. It is just a normal ubuntu install, but then on a virtualised harware. Compiling takes a little bit longer, but you can assign say 12 GiB of your memory to the VM. That should be enough to compile. Creating a virtual HD takes some planning. If you set it to automatic assign the size, compiling will take a very long time because of the io it takes to increase the virtual hd. So assign a large enough space to the virtual hd.

Guest brucelee666

Daedric1383 - re. dither not sure about disabling you could probably comment out the line and try compiling kernel and see.

Re. request for vega/shuttle device setup for building 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 ICS, as the rest hopefully Cass or Eduardo get a chance to post setup on git or create a download link would be nice to try and build it now I figured out building the kernel side.

For info you can start by looking at the device setup for moto wingray/stingray which you get when you download source also looking at the adam device setup here as these will at least give pointers to help setting up your own if needed.

Another link giving details on how to setup/get code/compile ICS is this just update the repo manifest line from android-4.0.3_r1 to android-4.0.4_r1.1 to get the latest version or leave as is to get 4.0.3 source of beta1.

@Daedric1383:

Eduardo posted a while ago he fixed the wifi issues, and just needed to compile it.

@brucelee666:

Thanks for the pointers but I rather wait to see what Eduardo or Cass have to say, maybe they have a complete setup they can post.

@scanno:

If I do it overnight I can adress 22GB to it and 800GB free space (should be more then sufficiënt :P).

@Eduardo and Cass:

Could you maybe post the setup for compiling the android source?

Also to eduardo, maybe you should make your own github, so we always have your comments and updated files to our disposal?

I am not familiar with C, but I am with Java and C++, and some more but they are irrelevant to this subject. Is there any way I can help?

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest ejtagle

I can post the lunch target, but probably the compilation will fail at some point, as i was unable to fully compile it due to lack of RAM ... Hopefully this will be solved in a few days. If you really want to play with it, i can post it a little bit later. Yes, this lunch target probably will also work for 4.0.4... ;)

I can post the lunch target, but probably the compilation will fail at some point, as i was unable to fully compile it due to lack of RAM ... Hopefully this will be solved in a few days. If you really want to play with it, i can post it a little bit later. Yes, this lunch target probably will also work for 4.0.4... ;)

Sure post the lunch :). More peope trying, a bigger chance of succes. Will the lunch you provided work with 22GB RAM? That's the max I can assign over night.

Also could you compile your wifi fix and post it?

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest Scanno
Question: Would it be pointless to try and implement AOKP / CM9 ?

I guess it would not be pointless. CM9 has some additions over AOSP, but offcourse it is based off AOSP. That means that in theory if we have a working lunch target for AOSP it might also work for CM9.

Guest Scanno

Sure post the lunch . More peope trying, a bigger chance of succes. Will the lunch you provided work with 22GB RAM? That's the max I can assign over night.

Also could you compile your wifi fix and post it?

Kind Regards,

Areo

Yep i agree. The more people trying, the more chance of succes.

Guest brucelee666

Not having built AOSP before as well as the device setup/lunch profile you may also need to get the latest nvidia binaries/libs (just not sure if you have to add them manually or are added as part of a script during lunch ?)

My guess is you have to get them manually, and if that is the case you probably have a few options:-

1 - Use the files from beta1 (usually in system/etc/firmware and also some libs).

2 - Download a latest xoom/transformer ICS update and extract binaries/libs.

3 - Get the ICS ventana image from here and extract binaries/libs.

4 - Go here should be at xoom and download graphics for xoom either 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 depending on build, extract script and run and you get all the binaries and libs - this will also give a list of files you would need from above options.

Also if you look at the adam device tree/proprietary-files.txt it gives a list of these files.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest xathras

Offcourse you can compile AOSP in a virtual machine. It is just a normal ubuntu install, but then on a virtualised harware. Compiling takes a little bit longer, but you can assign say 12 GiB of your memory to the VM. That should be enough to compile. Creating a virtual HD takes some planning. If you set it to automatic assign the size, compiling will take a very long time because of the io it takes to increase the virtual hd. So assign a large enough space to the virtual hd.

There are a number of options for the size and type of virtual disk to use in VirtualBox. You might want to start with a dynamically assigned hd to get your environment set up; this will give you a small .vdi to be used as a primary backup (even smaller if you zip it). When you want to start compiling you can expand the hd and turn it into a fixed size hd. Another strategy might be to have your home directory (where you should do all your work) as a fixed hd and the rest as a dynamically assigned hd, and back them up separately.

You can expand and contract VirtualBox .vdi files as required, and change their type.

VBoxManage clonehd [ old-fixed-VDI ] [ new-dynamic-VDI ] --variant Standard

VBoxManage clonehd [ old-dynamic-VDI ] [ new-fixed-VDI ] --variant Fixed

See here for more info:-

http://brainwreckedt...-in-virtualbox/

http://www.webupd8.o...ox-40-hard.html

http://expertester.w...isk-image-file/

http://scottlinux.co...-hard-disk-vdi/

To set up your home directory on a second hd, see here:-

https://help.ubuntu....ing/Home/Moving

Whichever strategy you decide to adopt, don't forget to take a snapshot before starting a compile so that you can easily roll back if/when something goes wrong!

Guest Daedric1383

Quick question, i belive this is kernel related. There's a option to prevent the device from sleeping while charging, and this works rather well.

The issue is, when the battery is full, the device states as "not charging", and suspends again. Is there a way to prevent this ? (without extra apps)

I got everything set up for an overnight build. Just need the lunch target...

Also to Eduardo, do you have time to finish the remaining problems on ICS (the big ones like video/audio bugs and wifi/sleep bugs)?

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest ejtagle

I got everything set up for an overnight build. Just need the lunch target...

Also to Eduardo, do you have time to finish the remaining problems on ICS (the big ones like video/audio bugs and wifi/sleep bugs)?

Kind Regards,

Areo

Audio bugs can be solved... Video bugs do not depend on us... Rather than, on NVidia... The only thing we can try to do is to tune the video memory size ... We can fix audio ourselves ... Later, I ll post the lunch target. I was too busy on other things last weekend...

Guest ejtagle

Well, attached my lunch Shuttle target for ICS 4.0.X ... It is just preliminary stuff, and i will continue developing it as soon as i can get some time... Nevertheless, feel free to try it... ;)

It should be decompressed into $(AOSP_ROOT)/device/nvidia/shuttle

Regards,

Eduardo

shuttle.rar

Well, attached my lunch Shuttle target for ICS 4.0.X ... It is just preliminary stuff, and i will continue developing it as soon as i can get some time... Nevertheless, feel free to try it... ;)

It should be decompressed into $(AOSP_ROOT)/device/nvidia/shuttle

Regards,

Eduardo

Thanks :). One more question: Do I need all the libs from VegaICS beta? I think I can compile it to night.

Kind Regards,

Areo