Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Scanno

Could you post the boot.img? Also could you post the commandline you are using?

About powermanagement. I think this is the last mayor issue with ics for vega. Will this also fix the battery drain (compared to HoneyComb)?

Eduardo, is there any chance you will be able to fix this soon?

Kind Regards,

Areo

Areo,

I Will post the boot.img tonight.

Guest Scanno

Commandline:

panic=10 mem=512M@0M nvmem=128M@512M vmalloc=256M video=tegrafb console=ttyS0,115200n8 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 mtdparts=tegra_nand:2048K@6784K(misc),5120K@9344K(recovery),8192K@14976K(boot),155008K@23680K(system),32768K@179200K(cache),4096K@212480K(staging),306688K@217088K(userdata)

Or if you mean the commandline for mkbootimg:

mkbootimg --cmdline "panic=10 mem=512M@0M nvmem=128M@512M vmalloc=256M video=tegrafb console=ttyS0,115200n8 usbcore.old_scheme_first=1 mtdparts=tegra_nand:2048K@6784K(misc),5120K@9344K(recovery),8192K@14976K(boot),155008K@23680K(system),32768K@179200K(cache),4096K@212480K(staging),306688K@217088K(userdata)" --base 0x10000000 --kernel boot.img-kernel --ramdisk newramdisk.cpio.gz -o boot-new.img

Regards,

Scanno

Guest Areo

Just installed the new kernel. Seems fine and the overclock problem is indeed fixed.

Areo

edit: Is there anybody who actually have time to fix the powermanagent system?

Edited by Areo

Guest Scanno
@areo

Any chance you could post the new kernal for public consumption

for our Vegas'.

Oldbarzo

(Stransky)

Here is the link:

http://db.tt/kvpQUUQR

But you will have to flash it with flash_image because i did not have time to create an cwm update for this.

Many thanks to brucelee666 for compiling the zImage.

Edited by Scanno

Guest GedBlake

Here is the link:

http://db.tt/kvpQUUQR

But you will have to flash it with flash_image because i did not have time to create an cwm update for this.

Many thanks to brucelee666 for compiling the zImage.

Just flashed this new boot.img and it works great; CPU clock is now as it should be... even with Advanced Wi-Fi lock enabled. My Vega now doesn't get 'hot' the way it used to either... (as I suppose one would expect, running mostly at 216Mhz, instead of being 'locked' at 1000Mhz.)

Considerable thanks to scanno, and all involved for a terrific ROM - VegaCream beta2.1

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest JHAres

Let's hope VegaCream is using the latest touchscreen driver i wrote ,,,, that was posted here , in this thread... I haven't checked if it is or not. The IT7260 calibration app does not work witht he 2.6.36+ kernels. I did not implement the private interface required for that app to work., The only app that should work and should recalibrate the touchscreen is the ShuttleTool application. And that is the only way to recalibrate the screen...

@Eduardo

I think I said it before.... but the "bouncing touches" sometimes gone, after several boots/discharge/charge cycles... sometimes I must "help" the normalization using the "Module AP" and/or Shuttle Tools... Do you say "Module AP" is possibly doing nothing ?

Abrazo,

Javier.

Guest JHAres

Just flashed this new boot.img and it works great; CPU clock is now as it should be... even with Advanced Wi-Fi lock enabled. My Vega now doesn't get 'hot' the way it used to either... (as I suppose one would expect, running mostly at 216Mhz, instead of being 'locked' at 1000Mhz.)

Considerable thanks to scanno, and all involved for a terrific ROM - VegaCream beta2.1

GED.

Hi GED,

What do you flashed and how ? The boot image in the published kernel or simply the new VegaCream 2.1 ?

Kind regards !

Javier.

Guest GedBlake

Hi GED,

What do you flashed and how ? The boot image in the published kernel or simply the new VegaCream 2.1 ?

Kind regards !

Javier.

Flashed the new boot.img (and kernal) - posted by scanno a couple of posts back... seems to resolve a problem with CPU clock speed in VegaCream...

Used Android Terminal emulator...

su

flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img

... and then reboot your tablet.

Although you will need a copy of flash_image in /system/bin/ with the correct permissions set...

flash_image available here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37483979/flash_image

GED.

Edited by GedBlake

Guest Scanno

Flashed the new boot.img (and kernal) - posted by scanno a couple of posts back... seems to resolve a problem with CPU clock speed in VegaCream...

Used Android Terminal emulator...

su

flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img

... and then reboot your tablet.

Although you will need a copy of flash_image in /system/bin/ with the correct permissions set...

flash_image available here http://www.mediafire.com/?0uk3hi0n2hzis54

GED.

When I am back from my vacation, I will make a new version with the modified kernel by brucelee666. I will also include one more modification that involves USB storage devices. Right now when using a USB storage device, you will get a hot reboot when you have written data to the USB storage device. You also cannot unmount the USB storage device from the settings/storage menu. With this fix you can unmount the USB storage device from the settings menu and also see how much storage is used and is free.

If you unmount the USB storage device, the tablet will not reboot. Sadly it introduces another problem and that is that the sdcard gets also unmounted. But you can mount it again and also is working then.

Guest Areo

Another small problem I noticed in all VegaCream releases. Some games won't work (like all from gameloft). This is because some dev choose to publish their apps only for the big companies devices. To solve this, as we did in HoneyComb is to spoof our device. We are tricking the apps into thinking that our tablet is another tablet. I chose for example the eee pad transformer prime as it's the most up to date big company tablet.

Spoofing is fairly easy. You just need to replace certain parts of the build.prop.

For example:

Replace the original lines with these to spoof as a eee pad transformer prime:

ro.build.tags=release-keys

ro.product.model=EPAD

ro.product.device=Eeepad

ro.product.manufacterer=asus

ro.build.discription=US_epad-user 4.0.3 IML74K US_epad-9.4.2.21-20120323 release-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=asus/US_epad/Eeepad:4.0.3/IML74K/US_epad-9.4.2.21-20120323:user/release-keys

ro.build.characteristics=tablet

save your build.prop, reboot and your done. Now you can endly enjoy gameloft games.

I attached a edited build.prop, this one is up to date with latest vega cream rom.

Kind Regards,

Areo

build.prop.zip

Edited by Areo

Guest JHAres

When I am back from my vacation, I will make a new version with the modified kernel by brucelee666. I will also include one more modification that involves USB storage devices. Right now when using a USB storage device, you will get a hot reboot when you have written data to the USB storage device. You also cannot unmount the USB storage device from the settings/storage menu. With this fix you can unmount the USB storage device from the settings menu and also see how much storage is used and is free.

If you unmount the USB storage device, the tablet will not reboot. Sadly it introduces another problem and that is that the sdcard gets also unmounted. But you can mount it again and also is working then.

Thanks GED....!!!

Thanks Scanno !!!

Enjoy your vacations... I think I will wait your update then...!!! ;-)

Kind regards,

Javier.

Guest JHAres

Another small problem I noticed in all VegaCream releases. Some games won't work (like all from gameloft). This is because some dev choose to publish their apps only for the big companies devices. To solve this, as we did in HoneyComb is to spoof our device. We are tricking the apps into thinking that our tablet is another tablet. I chose for example the eee pad transformer prime as it's the most up to date big company tablet.

Spoofing is fairly easy. You just need to replace certain parts of the build.prop.

For example:

ro.product.model=EPAD

ro.product.device=Eeepad

ro.build.discription=US_epad-user 4.0.3 IML74K US_epad-9.4.2.21-20120323 release-keys

ro.build.fingerprint=asus/US_epad/Eeepad:4.0.3/IML74K/US_epad-9.4.2.21-20120323:user/release-keys

Hi Areo,

There is "Device Spoofer" in the Market too.. ;-)

Regards,

Javier.

Edited by JHAres

Guest Areo

1. You won't learn anything from an app. And when it goes wrong and you don't know how it works, it will take you at least twice as long to fix it.

2.I post it like this so scanno can put it in his rom quick and easy and it will work out of the box without anymore bloatware.

3.It's free, the app you mention is not.

Areo

Edited by Areo

Guest Oldbarzo

Hi scanno

I think I will also wait for your updated kernal. I have tried to flash the boot.image but keep getting flash_image not found although I have

put it in system/bin, I must be missing something but I have used this method before on my Commtiva N700 to install its present overclocked kernal.

@areo

The build.prop zip from above, can it be installed as is with CWM or does it need to be added manually?

Thanks

Oldbarzo

(Stransky)

Guest Scanno

For example:

ro.product.model=EPAD

ro.product.device=Eeepad

save your build.prop, reboot and your done. Now you can endly enjoy gameloft games.

I attached a edited build.prop, this one is up to date with latest vega cream rom.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Thanks for the input. I will have a look at this when I am home. Was looking into tweaking the build.prop. This saves a lot of time :-)

Have to say that 3g is working nicely. Have a good connection :D

Guest Scanno

Hi scanno

I think I will also wait for your updated kernal. I have tried to flash the boot.image but keep getting flash_image not found although I have

put it in system/bin, I must be missing something but I have used this method before on my Commtiva N700 to install its present overclocked kernal.

@areo

The build.prop zip from above, can it be installed as is with CWM or does it need to be added manually?

Thanks

Oldbarzo

(Stransky)

You will have to edit it manually. But off course it can also be added to a cm zip, but that will include the whole build.prop file.

Guest a_appleby

Scanno, please tell me how to build the ROM, the exact steps. What's required to build it?

I tried your vegacream beta 2.1 ROM and it was hanging at the lock screen. It wouldn't boot at all after the first boot. I flashed vegaics before that and also erased caches & data before flashing the update zip along with the prop update zip.

vegaics didn't work with a WPA2 encrypted network. It was also acting very strange.

Guest Scanno
Scanno, please tell me how to build the ROM, the exact steps. What's required to build it?

I tried your vegacream beta 2.1 ROM and it was hanging at the lock screen. It wouldn't boot at all after the first boot. I flashed vegaics before that and also erased caches & data before flashing the update zip along with the prop update zip.

vegaics didn't work with a WPA2 encrypted network. It was also acting very strange.

I am on vacation at the moment and only have my pov mobii with me and a 3g dongle so at the moment I cannot assist you that much.

Fist you have to have a working Ubuntu 10.04 installation with all the additional packages installed. Please search on the internet for details about that.

I am assuming that you have read everything about setting up the correct build environment.

At the moment there are two repo's. The first one is the vegaics repository. That one is the most aosp as it can be.

The second repository is the VegaCream repository. To be honest i have been neglecting the vegaics repository is that one is not that up to date, but you should be able to build from it when you copy the /framework directory from device/nvidia/shuttle to framework in the directory you did the repo init in.

The VegaCream repository also needs some manual editing. You will also need to copy the framework directory. But you also have to remove the such directory from extra directory (sorry I do not know exactly the path). You will also need two certificates for building the superuser.apk. Anyway the build errors will tell you exactly where to look. The VegaCream repository replaces some aosp projects with projects from cyanogenmod. You can see that in the manifest.

For the vegaics repository do a repo init-u https://github.com/vegaics/android.git

For the VegaCream repository do a repo init-u https://github.com/scanno/vegacream.git

Oh do not use the boot.img from the build, use the boot.img from my latest cwm.

Hope this his enough to get you started.

Edited by Scanno

Guest JHAres

1. You won't learn anything from an app. And when it goes wrong and you don't know how it works, it will take you at least twice as long to fix it.

2.I post it like this so scanno can put it in his rom quick and easy and it will work out of the box without anymore bloatware.

3.It's free, the app you mention is not.

Areo

Hi Areo,

Please take it well....

1) I know you can't learn anything using a tool, I'm just trying to help the less advanced users (like me), I'm in the IT business, but not in the *ux world (I'm in big IBM architectures), so I don't know (yet) how to open or compile a kernel...

2) That's great.

3) And there is a free application (at least the one I found and used some weeks ago)...;-)

Peace and Kind regards :D

Javier.

Guest brucelee666

Scanno,

A post over in the vegacream topic mentioned issues with voicesearch and soundhound (my response), as I don't have these issues with my rom as I said I think its the voicesearch.apk and the drawable folders in the apk possibly.

I remember you asking where I got my gapps and I guess I forgot to post link but I used the ones from this link, you may want to give them a try and see if it fixes these issues.

Also for info 4.0.4_r2.1 manifest now available, have downloaded and will have a look and try to compile later.

Guest Scanno
Scanno,

A post over in the vegacream topic mentioned issues with voicesearch and soundhound (my response), as I don't have these issues with my rom as I said I think its the voicesearch.apk and the drawable folders in the apk possibly.

I remember you asking where I got my gapps and I guess I forgot to post link but I used the ones from this link, you may want to give them a try and see if it fixes these issues.

Also for info 4.0.4_r2.1 manifest now available, have downloaded and will have a look and try to compile later.

I have seen the post. I will have a look at voice search when I am back from Russia. Soundhound seems to be working for me though.

Great, when I am back I will try the new manifest.

Guest JHAres

I have seen the post. I will have a look at voice search when I am back from Russia. Soundhound seems to be working for me though.

Great, when I am back I will try the new manifest.

Soundhound working fine here too... no problems at all...